Start by marking “My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch” as Want to Read:
Preview

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  19 reviews
My Story Can Beat Up Your Story! is the same powerful, easy-to-learn system that industry insiders have used to generate millions of dollars in script sales and ?assignments. In a clear, step-by-step fashion, this book is a fun, eye-opening, ?brain-expanding, and often irreverent guide to writing stories that sell. Covering everything from Heroes to Villains, from Theme to ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Michael Wiese Productions

To ask other readers questions about My Story Can Beat Up Your Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Story Can Beat Up Your Story

Roni Loren
I'm a big fan of writing craft books. And in particular, I'm in love with books on screenwriting because I find that those techniques have clicked with my pantser brain more than anything else. I'm practically religious about Save the Cat. So anytime, I pick up a new screenwriting book, I'm hopeful, but usually am not expecting to find anything as helpful as Cat. But this time I was pleasantly surprised.

This is one of those books that has so many great nuggets of information that I feel like I c
Jared Millet
Excellent, concise, and revelatory. I've been using Randy Ingermanson's Snowflake Method of story plotting for years, but Schechter takes the development of a main character's (and therefore the story's) journey to the next level. The approach Schechter takes may not be as universal as he claims (some of his examples, particularly his analysis of The Dark Knight, seem a little shoehorned-in), but I'm definitely going to give this outlining and planning method a try for my next project. Schechter ...more
Austin Malone
Brilliant! A must-have for any fiction author. While the book is ostensibly written for screenwriters, its content is applicable any storytelling medium. Fans of Campbell's Monomyth Theory will see some familiar faces here, but Schechter goes further and not only dissects each of the presented character archetypes, but shows how they interact with each other, and even shows where they appear in the timeline of a well-spun plot. His ideas are well-referenced with deconstructed examples of multipl ...more
Kevin Ikenberry
At the recommendation of a friend, I picked up this book while outlining and beginning to write my latest novel. This book is simply fantastic. I cannot say enough about what I learned from this exceptionally easy to read guide to story structure and plot.

Schechter writes with the passion of someone who knows his craft and wants others to succeed.

Believable characters? Check. Solid plot and structure? Check. Fun to read? Check.

Simply one of the best books I've read for writers. Very highly rec
Hannah Givens
After reading through this carefully, pencil and novel outline at the ready, I discovered I'm basically following the system already. I take that to mean I’m a genius. In my case, the system is most useful for keeping me on track. Using it means making sure to include all those parts I meant to include. In working through it, you also find yourself thinking about your characters and plot from several different angles, and that's helped me with some structural questions like "Why is this characte ...more
Sarah Iozzio
Though intended for screenwriters, this book has done the best job I've encountered explaining what makes a good story structure (I'm a novelist). The author concisely breaks down the three act structure into a coherent progression of plot points to move the story along. He also weaves in other concepts, such as theme and the hero's progression, and he breaks down the roles of supporting characters in the story. The language is accessible and practical- you don't need a Master's Degree to deciph ...more
Steven R.
Lou Anders (editor of Pyr books) recommended the book “My Story Can Beat Up Your Story” at a writer’s workshop I attended. It took me a while to get to it, because I’ve read a number of books/articles on story structure and I wasn’t eager to hear the same old thing again. However, it turns out that this isn’t the same old thing. In fact, I’ve just promoted this book on my mental shelves to the number one position for story structure.

I should mention that this book is technically a book on screen
Debra Scacciaferro
This is one of the best books on dramatic structure I have read. And it works for novels, not just screenplays.

Have read this book many times. It has helped me figure out how to sustain the middle of my novels, and make the book build towards the ending. I used to start a book, know the ending, but get bogged down in the middle. The author really gives you a method for structuring any story. The section on understanding the dynamics of character relationships is well worth the price.
Cyd Madsen
I love Jeffrey Schechter. He doesn't take himself too seriously but he's seriously good at teaching the craft of screenwriting. I don't subscribe to formula writing, but I like his approach so much that I bought the Contour software based on his method.

I'd recommend this book for screenwriters and prose writers.
Nick
This book describes, wittily and well, a formula for producing a screenplay exactly like Star Wars. If you want to make it in Hollywood as a scriptwriter, then you need a book like this. If you want to make indie films, then save your money and write from the heart, max your credit cards, and make your movie.
Monica
Excellent explanation of screenwriting and the realm of LA. It's pretty in your face about what you should do to be a successful writer. It also carries the right amount of humor and sarcasm to keep you entertained. The chart system is extensive but the breakdown in each chapter simplifies it all.
Jazz Virk
With my many books on film and screenwriting, this is the last book I'm buying. That's it. Wasn't expecting much more to appreciate, but I was dead wrong. Another re-read for my next film along with a few other top notch books.
Juliana
I picked up up this book after a writer friend suggested it. It's great! I loved Save the Cat! but I'm starting to think I like this one more ...
Sean Hannifin
Fantastic book! Full of wonderful insights to help a storyteller lay the foundations for a good story.
Ian
Recommended. Especially for screenwriters aspiring to write mass appeal, blockbuster hit movies.
Greg K
Excellent. Must read for any script writer. Yes. I recommend this.
Brian Brantley
Good book but there are better out there.
Jon
Nov 23, 2012 Jon added it
Terrific advice for all levels of screenwriters!
Dru
exceptional.
I rely on it every day!
Jilles
Jilles is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Libby Stott
Libby Stott marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Beranga
Beranga marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
rotodial
rotodial marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
A.F. Grappin
A.F. Grappin is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015