90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book

90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Got 90 Days? Then You Can Be a Novelist Many famous authors write their novels in a matter of weeks. William Faulkner wrote "As I Lay Dying" in six weeks. Joyce Carol Oates often cranks out two or three books a year. Stephen King believes first drafts should take no more than three months to complete. So, what's the trick? Novel writing isn't about inspiration. It's about...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Writers Digest Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 90 Days to Your Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 90 Days to Your Novel

James
A good book - my main problem is not the process the author lays out for the reader, but the pace it prescribes, at least for me. I believe I write fairly fast, based on having several nonfiction books in print and having held a number of jobs in which writing was one of my main duties, but for me to accomplish some of the daily assignments within one day I'd have to spend the entire day doing nothing else and probably work into the night.

With that said, a lot of the tasks included are likely to...more
Mistina
I love this book. This guide provided the blueprint for my last novel, and I'm using parts of it to plan my current project. The combination of specific daily exercises and pre-writing prompts provides an excellent start by the time you finally get around to writing the novel. The process even includes reviewing and analyzing your outline to help you cut out the boring parts before you spend the time writing them.

My one quibble is that the daily exercises seem a bit ambitious. I don't think I'm...more
Rose
I ended up reading this writer's craft book straight through, but I'll have to try it out when I'm trying to truly write a story in 90 days (as opposed to 30 or 60). I think it's certainly a great book for beginning writers in terms of having concrete examples and exercises to guide the writer along for the ride in the 90 day cycle, but I realized as someone who tends to make my own process of writing a novel (placing characters first, shaping stories by scene, etc.) and personal pacing it is a...more
Jeremy
This book has made it to my top 5 favorite books on writing. It's packed with insightful advice and filled with exercises that concentrate on each area of writing individually, while striving to organize your ideas for your novel, culminating in writing it and re-writing in 90 days. I suggest reading this book with The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman.
Riki
I picked up this popular book in hopes of jump-starting a writing project that I had stewing in my mind. I wasn’t under any delusions that I might actually have a viable draft of a novel in only 90 days, and after reading this book I’m sticking with that thought.

The book is laid out with a lengthy discussion and an exercise for each of the prescribed 90 days. The author is very set on having a detailed outline prior to doing any actual novel writing, so the first 30 days are exploration exercis...more
Michael Vondung
I picked up this book because I had grown tired of making excuses for why I "can't" at least finish a draft. There are quite a few courses out there that aim at the same goal. After sampling various of them, I felt that Sarah Domet was "getting" the problem best (her experience teaching ornery would-be novelists becomes obvious when she comments on your excuses before you even had time to make them), and she believes in the importance of creating a proper outline instead of just writing without...more
Erin
I own many writing books, and many step-by-step guides to being better. This is the best one. The ONLY one. It's given me a little tough love and a lot of much-needed structure. I'm not doing it on her timeline (this is taking me a lot more than 90 days, and I always knew it would), but the steps are unbelievably helpful. When I'm done, I'm going to start all over.
Josie Ann
Every once in a while I like to indulge in novels that talk about writing. Of course, as an aspiring writer I know that reading novels about writing doesn't make you a writer...writing makes you a writer. As a plotter, I was anxious to read this novel, and I didn't mind paying the $9.99 for it. Instead of following along with novel, and stopping to complete the exercises, I read the novel straight through. There were a few tips and exercises I found handy, but overall I didn't really enjoy this...more
Sera Trevor
Not a bad book, but not particularly useful for me. The book assumes that you would like to be a novelist, but have zero ideas for a book. The entire first month is brain-storming ideas. If you already have ideas, that's not going to help. The brain-storming exercises are also not helpful if you're writing any genre other than contemporary, since she asks you to draw from your own experiences. I haven't met with a lot of space bandits or wizards, so not gonna help me out a lot.

The subsequent ex...more
Kristen Rudd
Good steps, good exercises, good questions to ask as you go about writing your novel, but lots and lots of fluff to wade through to get to the stuff that's helpful.
Susan Mathis
Very helpful on the journey to writing my first novel. Well done, Sarah!
Elisa
I'd recommend this one! Mostly for first-timers, so a lot of stuff I already knew, BUT definitely got me thinking about a lot of things that hadn't occurred to me before. I learned some valuable pointers for really enriching my writing. The pep-talky stuff is cheesy, but not overly obnoxious. I liked the structure of it the most. I need structure to get things done and it was a huge help.
Laura (The Little Pink Book Boutique)
has some good tips for sure, but i dont think that all of the exercises would really benefit me. i read it, took from it what is beneficial, and helpful and will go on to write in my own fashion utilizing some of the info from the book.
Thing Two
Jan 28, 2013 Thing Two rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Thing Two by: Laurie
Okay - this took me over a year to finish, but I did complete the first draft of a really shitty novel. It's good for helping get ideas organized, but don't expect to have anything worth sending around to get published in only 90 days.
Fredrick Danysh
The authors have outlined a program to help the reader write a novel in three months by working every day. Scene and character development are covered as is proofreading. I read the book although I am just starting to follow the program.
Lynette Eklund
I found the pre-writing days invaluable, and reuse them for every project now. The actual writing days are more or less cheering/support comments that are nice, but are just that. Well worth checking this book out!
Dustin Mitchell
This book was a good tool, but not for me personally. They author insisted that you spend more time than I have on a schedule of writing everyday. I liked the idea but it just isn't practical with my busy schedule.

Marla
I read this off and on and then decided to just finish it. Very interesting and even though I didn't write while I was reading, I will refer back to this when I am ready to start writing. Had good suggestions.
S.K.
I've read so many books now that I couldn't finish this one. I perused it and it looked like it had good information, though.
Keith Skinner
No, I DON'T expect to write a novel in 90 days but this book has some excellent ideas about approaching novel writing.
Btinternet
This is a really excellent walk thru taking an idea from start to finish.
Christine
This book has some great exercises and rules for style. Very helpful.
Rachel Smith
Writing exercizes to keep my brain ticking. Much enjoyable.
Sara
Just okay. Not sure if I jive with his outlining style.
Laura S
Laura S is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Ashley Shannon
Ashley Shannon is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Wendell Barnes
Wendell Barnes is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Annika
Annika is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Ayisha
Ayisha is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
  • Description & Setting
  • Breathing Life into Your Characters
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Plot
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • The Art of War for Writers
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Description
The Great Recession in Fiction, Film, and Television: Twenty-First-Century Bust Culture