Start by marking “The One-Block Feast: An Adventure in Food from Yard to Table” as Want to Read:
The One-Block Feast: An Adventure in Food from Yard to Table

The One-Block Feast: An Adventure in Food from Yard to Table

Based on the James Beard Award–winning blog The One-Block Diet, this all-in-one home gardening, do-it-yourself guide and cookbook shows you how to transform a backyard or garden into a self-sufficient locavore’s paradise.

When Margo True and her fellow staffers at Northern California–based Sunset magazine walked around the grounds of their Menlo Park office, they saw more t
Published March 22nd 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The One-Block Feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One-Block Feast

Melissa
Apr 27, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I've never read Sunset Magazine, but I was a little skeptical of this book at first glance, because my mind associated it with Better Homes and Gardens-style living, which isn't really my thing, but I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. It's divided into four sections organized by season, and each section follows the same format: intro about the author's team's locavore adventures; basic garden plan with detailed planting instructions for seasonally appropriate plants, including foraging ...more
jess
Jul 22, 2011 jess rated it liked it
Shelves: growing, 2011
I followed the blog. I waited anxiously for the book. I read it. Now, I feel two ways about this project/book.

1 - This is a lovely book with gorgeous photos and delicious-sounding recipes. It's great inspiration for anyone looking to source more food locally, eat within seasons and eat closer to the source. I appreciated that they went (almost) vegetarian because they weren't willing to kill their own animals (except for escargot, and let me tell you, I hate snails enough to consider eating the
Eileen
The people at Sunset in California went all out; planting for four seasons, raising chickens, keeping bees, growing their own hops, grapes and more. They made their own tea, beer, wine, honey, cheese and even preserved some things. I enjoyed reading about how they did it and looking at the recipes for their feasts. I especially enjoyed the part about growing, harvesting and preparing tea since I am attempting that in my yard and that information is very valuable to me.
However there were a lot
Liz
Feb 04, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read, although I am a little disappointed that I didn't conclude it energized to carry out any of the one-block projects it details. Many of them are too ambitious for a working adult to take on alone, not to mention expensive! Perusing the list of supplies and the amount of time dozens of staff invested in their projects, I assume Sunset must be a very well-endowed magazine. Anyway, I had already decided that raising my own chickens or bees would be too much, and I'm not ...more
Michelle
Nov 11, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
It took a village... or in this case, a staff of magazine writers in California... to create a meal. It's a great adventure story and well-written, but I concur with some other reviewers below who say it's really intimidating, especially for people who have things like, oh, jobs, kids, and non-gardening hobbies. I do precious little enough to feed myself (small garden, hens, dabble at vinegar, wine, cheese for fun)so I can see how reading this might make you want to throw in the towel and reach ...more
Courtney
May 31, 2011 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
This book is a take off on Sunset magazine's One Block blog. I really loved the stories of how the different teams were willing to try new things and how they were honest when something was a flop. The pictures are great, the recipes are inviting...this book will definitely make you think about what you can create in your own backyard and what we take for granted.

It doesn't have in-depth instructions, but does give a pretty good overview of how to do the different projects they tried. They suppl
Marie
Jan 20, 2013 Marie rated it liked it
I found the multitude of garden plans a bit confusing to tell you the truth as its all site specific and that was a bit pointless, probably photos, a discussion of the soil, and realism of doing it on someone's own acre that didn't have 50 staff would be better. If they were earnest about feeding all those people that contributed to the book they would either be carbon anorexics, or growing a lot more food.
If it inspires someone to take on a more sustainable life, then all power to them :)
Christine Payton
This book screams California. To get unpasteurized milk, they suggest buying a cow and a &10,000 milking machine. Because you can't milk a cow without a $10,000 machine. They also suggest u-picking olives and then bringing them to a commercial olive oil refinery to have them pressed, which they say only costs like $1,000.
Erin Stuhlsatz
Apr 22, 2012 Erin Stuhlsatz rated it liked it
Shelves: food
This cookbook/memoir would have been much more interesting a couple years ago, and if it wasn't from such a position of wealth. They went out and bought a cow. They bought...lots of other things, too. I was unimpressed.
Jennifer Miera
I didn't read this book cover to cover. It's still pretty mainstream (Sunset Magazine), but had some useful information and good pictures. I may revisit this at another time when I can spend more time with it.
Laureen
May 25, 2011 Laureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
this book was awesome! if you wanted to start bee-keeping, for instance, it had info on how to buy it and how much it costs! and that goes for starting a garden, making wine, having a cow, making cheese- anything that you could do at home and would want and need info for, it has. great book!
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Vannessa
Vannessa rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Lee Davenport
Lee Davenport rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2011
Kaaren Gann
Kaaren Gann rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Everyaugust
Everyaugust rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Shari
Shari rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Kmcandrews413gmail.com
Kmcandrews413gmail.com rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2011
Kimberley
Kimberley rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2012
Alex Mooney
Alex Mooney rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Amy W
Amy W rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Lisa Schmeiser
Lisa Schmeiser rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Emilee
Emilee rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013