Start by marking “The Spirit of Disobedience: Resisting the Charms of Fake Politics, Mindless Consumption, and the Culture of Total Work” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  6 reviews

With his trademark intelligence and humor, Curtis White argues that the American left needs a new and compelling spiritual basis for its politics, and that its seeds can be discovered in Thoreau's spiritual politics of refusal and a return to human "fundamentals" especially work, home, and food. Along the way, White offers a shrewd reading of the cult classic Office Space,

Published November 28th 2006 by Polipoint Press

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit of Disobedience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit of Disobedience

Jeff Bursey
I dogeared a lot of pages in this book, as it has some great things to say about alternate living strategies (not lifestyles), the closeness of left and right in politics, the demands of authority that everyone be either a servant or a commodity producer (of even the most radical thoughts), and of the roles of Art and the Spirit of Disobedience. Curtis White interviews three 'outsiders' at the end, and in this he provides examples of those who are thinking in more healthy ways of our relationshi ...more
John
Jul 27, 2011 John marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"Our firm assumption that the culture war is only about evangelicals and secular humanists means not only that the ethos of capitalism will escape scrutiny, will pass as if it were as innocent and inevitable as the air we breathe, but also that it will be nearly impossible to suggest an alternative to this opposition"
Joe
It is as if someone dumped a years worth of peg words from our media discourse and attempted to knit it into something about disobedience. Seems contrived. Curtis admits in one chapter that he is, in spite of all appearances, a holy whore. My hat off to that, I guess.
Tiffany
Although I thought some of the arguments at the beginning of this book bordered on obnoxious, White ultimately works through some big realities and makes an important case for a return to (or, rather, a reenvisioning of) community life and the joys that come with it.
Bill Viall
This is the best book I've read this year. This fellow is really great. Deeper than the usual songs to the quire. White is a clear, compelling voice for the sentient life.
Mark Kenneth
Nov 16, 2010 Mark Kenneth marked it as to-read
Still trying to figure out what Curtis White vision of the future would be like?
Marcus
Marcus is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2014
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
99takes
99takes marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Joseph Schneider
Joseph Schneider marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Nina
Nina added it
Jun 09, 2014
Tom Jesson
Tom Jesson marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Michael Fogleman
Michael Fogleman marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Matthew Walton
Matthew Walton marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
Mar 14, 2014
Kent Robinson
Kent Robinson marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
J.
J. added it
Feb 21, 2014
Azniv
Azniv marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Scott von Berg
Scott von Berg marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Middle Mind: Why Consumer Culture is Turning Us Into the Living Dead The Science Delusion: Asking the Big Questions in a Culture of Easy Answers Memories of My Father Watching TV Requiem The Barbaric Heart: Faith, Money, and the Crisis of Nature

“...This is the arena in which a spiritualized disobedience means most. It doesn't mean a second New Deal, another massive bureaucratic attack on our problems. It doesn't mean taking to the streets, throwing bricks through the window at the Bank of America, or driving a tractor through the local McDonald's. It means living differently. It means taking responsibility for the character of the human world. That's a real confrontation with the problem of value. In short, refusal of the present is a return to what Thoreau and Ruskin called "human fundamentals, valuable things," and it is a movement into the future. This movement into the future is also a powerful expression of that most human spiritual emotion, Hope.
p.124”