Start by marking “The List” as Want to Read:
The List

The List

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  12,278 ratings  ·  1,743 reviews
An intense look at the rules of high school attraction -- and the price that's paid for them.

It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up.

This is the story of eight girls, freshman to
Published April 1st 2012 by Push

To ask other readers questions about The List, please sign up.

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberPushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
2012 YA Contemporaries
12th out of 293 books — 2,587 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberGraffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
2012 YA Contemporary Challenge!
20th out of 213 books — 1,313 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May

2.5
To say that this was one of my most anticipated books of 2012, I am really disappointed. As with Not That Kind Of Girl, I thought this book had the potential to be really good and I'm sure the author set out with the greatest of intentions... and yet this novel failed to deliver. And I think that was mostly because it tried too hard to be a number of different things and, by doing so, was stretched too thin and failed to achieve any of the initial goals.

I gave the rating that extra .5 star b
Arlene
Jan 13, 2012 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker - ARC Tour Flannery
Thank you Flannery from The Readventurer for allowing me to read this ARC. :D

With trembling hands, she quickly finishes pinning the dress and puts it on…then she twists her hair up, adds a bit of lipstick. She gets ready without looking in the mirror…. She doesn’t need to see herself. She already knows. She will never be pretty...

So here’s what happens every year at Mount Washington High School. A week before Homecoming, students walk the halls in search of The List posted and scattered around t
Rocket
Adults sometimes shouldn't review teen fiction. Or at least, we should get some teenagers to review it too.

The List by Siobhan Vivian is about eight high school girls, two from each grade, who are put on The List during homecoming week at Mount Washington High. The List is a list of the prettiest - and ugliest - girls in each grade, two for each. The book follows all of the girls through the week, narrating their reactions, the school's reactions, and the events that follow because of this list.
Wendy Darling
Made it through about 50 pages before the shifting present tense--among other things--drove me crazy.
Charley Cook
wow wow wow wow...bloody amazing
Check out my video review here --> http://youtu.be/LJp1TnxyCYA
Giselle
A light, quick read - The List follows eight girls who have been named ugliest or pretties on this "List" which has been posted around the school every year for decades. You think being a "prettiest" would be easy? Think again!

Although The List addresses several teen issues throughout the story, it ended up being a much fluffier read than I expected. With eight different points of view, we're taken into each of the four ugliest, as well as the four prettiest girls' lives spanning the week after
tarawrawr
Originally reviewed http://hobbitsies.net/2012/03/the-lis...

he List by Siobhan Vivian is one of those books that made me so freaking angry while I was reading it, and yet I couldn’t make myself put it down.

I hated 90% of the characters in The List. They were all so messed up and obnoxious and self-centered and bratty and downright cruel – and yet, unfortunately realistic. So I guess it’s good that I couldn’t stand them. Although I think someone should push Andrew off of a cliff.

The List took pla
Kristina Jo
So, I wanted to really, really like this book, but the ending was so abrupt that I just can't. Every year in this high school, a list comes out naming the prettiest and ugliest girls in each grade. The List deals with the fallout of this list over the next week. But is it really just over the course of one week?

Being listed as the prettiest junior encourages one girl's budding eating disorder - which is also wreaking havoc on her relationship with her younger sister. This isn't something that en
Katie
The List is ridiculously heartbreaking. It's meant to be. But for me, it was absolutely ... gutwrenching. As someone who suffered with depression as a teenager, I knew the book would be pretty personal and touchy but ... holy crap. I was a messy puddle of emotions on my bedroom floor when I closed the book. It's like Siobhan Vivian reached into my head, gripped every insecurity I had about myself as a teenager and squeezed. Hard.

Before I get into how much this book made me feel, I'll start with
May
The List es una novela Young Adult autoconclusiva que cogí con muchas ganas. Es una novela de la que he oído hablar cosas bastante buenas y otras no tanto. Pero aún así tenía ganas de leerla y tener mi opinión. The List cuenta la historia de ocho chicas totalmente diferentes y con una historia propia que nos muestra cómo son y por qué aparecen en dicha lista.
Lo primero que me llamó la atención y lo que, de hecho, más me ha gustado de esta novela es la lista que aparece en la historia. Es lo más
Monica!
I’m going to admit right up front that I’m not typically a Pretty Little Liars or Gossip Girls kind of person, friends, which means that this poor little book was going to have to work to get me to love it. So the fact that I wasn’t 100% won over isn’t necessarily the fault of the story.

Although I think the story might have had a tiny bit to do with it; I like to think I can stay reasonably on top of characters, but having eight simultaneous plots bouncing around in all directions was a little i
Elizabeth
The List of The List
FRESHMEN
Ugliest
Clichéd melodrama-
Also known as my pet hate. Because not everyone in high school is shallow, can’t see people’s motives for insta-friendship, or reacts to being labelled ugly by not washing themselves for a week.
Prettiest
The premise –
Extra points for overcoming high school setting idea clichés

SOPHOMORES
Ugliest
Normalising alcohol-
Because the themes matter too, and call me a prude, but I like to see the under-age alcohol-drinkers in YA appropriately dealt w
J
The whole time I was reading this book---I kept thinking about a comment that Sally Field made in an interview many years ago. She said, "I cannot live up to all the images that people have assigned to me---it would be like chasing ghosts."

Popularity, social outcasts, cliques, friends, enemies, rejection, acceptance,---are the ingredients to a well rounded high school life. No matter the social circle a young teenage girl is blessed with or cursed by, she can never experience friendships charact
Ellis
I'm not entirely sure what exactly I expected to get from The List, but I ended up quite disappointed anyway. Don't get me wrong. This is a very readable book with a nice story that moves at a quick pace, but I really slogged through some of the chapters, mostly because there were certain characters I just couldn't stand. The beginning was rough and I initially thought the writing quite juvenile, though it later became clear that this was more a reflection of the character in question than the w ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Do you remember what you looked like in high school? No, wait… not how you actually looked, but how you felt like you looked. Even if you looked okay, you didn’t necessarily feel like you did. And worrying about everyone looking at you, judging you, that horrible self-consciousness that scars you for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
Okay, maybe I'm being a little overdramatic, but this is a book about teenagers, and that's what it feels like when you're a teen.

And truly, high school sucks. No, I don’t me
Cassie

GOD this book. Legit.

It had all the potential, a total 5 star potential.

BUT THE ENDING.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

Lol funny to say is I'm writing this review watching the Victoria's Fashion Show and eating a candy bar. But the ending seriously just ruined the whole book. :/

Gifs to describe my feelings. Enjoy.

At the beginning of the book...

In the middle of the book...

At the ending of the book, reading the ending..

So in general it was a HUGE let down.
April
Every year at Mount Washington High School, eight girls – two from each grade are singled out and place on The List, judged to be either the prettiest or the ugliest girl in their class. Siobhan Vivian delves into a topic near and dear to my heart, beauty and it’s implications, with her latest book, The List.

Read the rest of my review here
Erin Lynn
Really? That's it? It's a pretty mediocre book.

Full review to come can be seen at The Hardcover Lover.
Richie Partington
Richie’s Picks: THE LIST by Siobhan Vivian, Scholastic/PUSH, April 2012, 336p., 978-0-545-16917-2

“She’s suddenly beautiful
We all want something beautiful
Man I wish I was beautiful”
-- Duritz/Bryson, “Mr. Jones”

“THE LIST

FRESHMEN
DANIELLE DEMARCO --
Also known as Dan the Man.
Prettiest:
ABBY WARNER –
Bonus points awarded for overcoming family genetics!
SOPHOMORES:
CANDACE KINCAID –
Beauty isn’t just skin-deep, btw.
Prettiest:
LAUREN FINN –
Everyone’s hot for the new girl.
JUNIORS:
SARA
Sandra
I loved this book! Let me start out by saying that it's not just a fluffy contemporary novel, The List really has some depth and the character development is amazing. We really get to know each of the eight girls in the 332 pages of the book; they were all unique and reacted to their placement on the list differently. I think it's great that Siobhan Vivian was able to come up with eight unique personalities and let the reader get to know them all equally - it's a feat I couldn't accomplish! Anyw ...more
kari
Oct 03, 2014 kari rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, ya
To all writers: If you are going to have the second paragraph of your book be about a ginkgo tree and how it smells, you need to make very sure that you know what you are talking about. Ginkgo trees drop their yellow nut pods (which btw, are poisonous) in the autumn. Not the spring. No one, not even silly un-knowing freshmen, would hang out under a ginkgo tree in autumn, which would be when the nuts fall to the ground; nuts enclosed in pods that smell like nothing so much as horribly stinky feet ...more
Siew Ee
It’s not every day that you come across a superbly-written book like “The List”. First of all, I doubt a list giving the prettiest and ugliest girl in each grade will ever make a debut in a Singapore school. Nevertheless, Singapore teenagers should read “The List” as this provocative novel explores significant issues found in every teenager’s life – self-esteem, social/peer pressure, friendship & parent/child relationships, and last but not least, moral fortitude.

The axiom, “Beauty is only s
Clementine
Every year at Mount Washington High School, an anonymous list gets posted. On it, eight girls–two from each grade–are ranked as the prettiest and the ugliest in their grade. It doesn’t really matter who made the list, because once it’s posted, the damage is done. This year, eight girls will find their names on the list and will discover that their lives are forever altered. As they discover what it is to be named, they also begin to discover what appearances mean–and what they don’t.

Siobhan Vivi
Caitlyn Cousin
I thought this book was pretty good. It took you into the lives of eight very different high school girls, each one affected by one thing: the list. The book illustrated typical high school life pretty well, and I could relate to a lot of it. The only I disliked, however, was that the constant change of perspective between the eight girls got confusing. All in all, I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in a story about the struggle of finding yourself in a world of judgment.
Talia  B.
Levana Nyx

English

This book was, overall, a quick but profound and thougtful read... until I got to the end. I just sat there like: I must have gotten a damaged ebook copy. I can not believe Siobhan Vivian didn't put a worthy finale to what could've been one of the best YA I've read so far, it felt like someone tore off 30 pages from the original.

I'm suffering, people. I want to know how this ends.

Castellano

2.5 estrellas

Este libro fue, en general, una rápida pero profunda y reflexiva lectu

Evie
***Originally posted to: Bookish Book Blog |YA and Adult Book Reviews, Author Interviews, Guest Posts, Giveaways and news! ^___^

The List is a smart and provocative contemporary novel, and one that made a huge impression on me. Featuring themes like love, friendship, sisterhood, family, and anorexia, The List is a harrowing exploration of the judgements that teen girls face regarding their physical appearance and popularity, as well as the social pressure for them to be pretty, skinny, and flawle
Reading Teen (Andye)
I wasn't expecting to like this book at first.
At all.
I mean yes, I love chick-lit books.
But I usually stay away from the high school drama centered books.
So when I read the summery of this book I almost didn't read it.
But to my surprise, I actually really liked this book.
Because even though the whole concept of it sounds really... shallow, it has heart to it.
Siobhan Vivian did an excellent job of developing all the characters.
Even though in the beginning, I had to refer to front of the bo
Michael
Every year on the Monday before homecoming, it appears in the halls of Mount Washington High School--the list. It's a ranking of the four prettiest and the four ugliest girls from each class at Mount Washington. If you're a senior girl and deemed the prettiest, odds are you're a shoe-in for homecoming queen.

Siobhan Vivian's The List begins on the fateful Monday and follows the eight girls who were placed on the list this year. There's Margo, the senior who sees her ranking as prettiest singer a
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
Honestly I was super excited when I read about this book. Not only did I enjoy Vivian's Not That Kind of Girl I loved the concept. The pressure on girls to be beautiful this day and age is extremely high so I was curious was Vivian's take was on it. And I must say there were things I really loved about it and there were things I didn't love. As a whole the story was good, but there were just some things I wanted more from.

I'm gonna start with what I didn't like:

Bridget
Bridget's whole story reall
Which girl is on the cover holding the list? 6 75 Dec 11, 2014 02:47PM
Bridget *Spoiler* 26 128 Nov 26, 2014 12:29PM
Crazy for Young A...: ✓ Pair 14: Kat B. & Sofia (August 2014) 39 135 Aug 24, 2014 05:40PM
Was Fern with Abby's teacher? 2 29 Jul 14, 2014 11:03AM
Crazy for Young A...: The List by Siobhan Vivian → Start Date: May 25, 2014 23 38 May 29, 2014 12:11PM
if u could do something like this what would it be about? 1 12 May 06, 2014 09:59AM
  • Take a Bow
  • Thou Shalt Not Road Trip
  • Ditched: A Love Story
  • Flirting in Italian (Flirting in Italian #1)
  • Reunited
  • Where It Began
  • The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life
  • Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters
  • 7 Clues to Winning You
Siobhan Vivian is the author of THE LIST, NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL, SAME DIFFERENCE, and A LITTLE FRIENDLY ADVICE. She also co-wrote BURN FOR BURN, the first novel in a planned trilogy, with her best friend JENNY HAN. She currently lives in Pittsburgh.
More about Siobhan Vivian...
Not That Kind of Girl Same Difference A Little Friendly Advice The Last Boy and Girl in the World The List. El día en que mi vida cambió

“Sometimes, when you get something new, you trick yourself into believing it has the power to change absolutely everything about you.” 82 likes
“That's how inside jokes usually are. Funny to those inside, annoying as shit to the rest of the world.” 32 likes