Start by marking “The Girl on the Stairs” as Want to Read:
The Girl on the Stairs

The Girl on the Stairs

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
On November 22, 1963, a young Victoria Elizabeth Adams stood behind a fourth-floor window of the Texas School Book Depository in Dallas. She watched as John Kennedy was murdered in the streets below. Then, with a co-worker in tow, she ran down the back stairs of the building in order to get outside and determine what had happened... [Product description from Amazon.com]
Published March 13th 2011 by Createspace (first published December 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl on the Stairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl on the Stairs

Pete daPixie
Mar 10, 2012 Pete daPixie rated it liked it
I was generating a few conflicting thoughts in my mind whilst reading this book. Here is another Kennedy conspiracy exposition story. Another college kid troubled by the slaying of a president, and the doubts raised by another presidents commission report. Nothing wrong with that as David Lifton and others have shown. What posed problems for me was the gestatory nature Barry Ernest has brought with his 'The Girl on the Stairs-My search for a missing witness to the assassination of John F. Kenned ...more
AC
Mar 09, 2012 AC rated it it was ok
Shelves: assassinations
Finally had to give up around 349... 349 pages about some girl's 15 second jaunt down a small wooden staircase is more than I can take.... Some interesting stuff, but very repetitive, and little of it new. Author tries to buttress his credibility by claiming all the "serious researchers" knew him.

One thing that has to worry serious assassination buffs is why, even after 50years, there seems to be not ONE serious academic study... Or even course on the topic... No one at Yale, Columbia, even Berk
Julie Stoehr
Feb 17, 2014 Julie Stoehr rated it it was amazing
This is a very well researched book (one chapter contained 80 footnotes!)over a span of 30+ years. It took me a little while to get into the book, but once I did, I couldn't stop! I was floored by what a sham the Warren Commission was and horrified by the botched autopsy of JFK. Barry Ernest dug for every single piece of research he could find and read and re-read the Warren Report and accompanying volumes countless times. He interviewed tons of people that the Warren Commission overlooked...in ...more
Stephen Courts
Aug 01, 2011 Stephen Courts rated it it was amazing
I have read and studied the JFK murder for years. I have read over 50 books and numerous internet articles. What impressed me about this book was the meticulous detailed search for an important eye witness to the "escape" of LHO down the stairs from the supposed snipers' nest to the 2nd floor of the Book Depository. Victoria Adams said in her statements to the bogus Warren Commission that she heard nor saw anyone during the time Oswald was alledged to have made his escape. Her testimony was alte ...more
Jan
Jul 29, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
Amazing read. I will read anything Kennedy and while I always like them, they are all mostly the same. Not so here. Enlightening!!!
Susan
Mar 21, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
I read this because after I finished Stephen King's "11-22-63", I was back in a "Kennedy Assassination" mode. Years ago, I had read several books about JFK and this event; I had forgotten alot of the details that I had once been so familiar with. This book brought to my attention a story, I didn't recall hearing anything about, the story of Victoria Adams who had hurried down the Texas School Book Depository's back staircase from the fourth floor right after the shots rang out. The timing would ...more
GVR WatchDog
Sep 25, 2011 GVR WatchDog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jfk
I'm surprised that "The Girl on the Stairs" is not far more popular than it is. While it' true that it is not as polished a work as I'd like, the conclusions one must draw from the facts presented by Ernest are either bone-jarring, or supportive of what you already knew. (Depending upon how much JFK research you've done.)

A key witness who could have singlehandedly discredited the Warren Report is as significant as it gets. But why didn't she? And why didn't any of the dozens of people in key pos
Rick
Aug 26, 2011 Rick rated it really liked it
Very well-researched discussion of the JFK assassination. The author starts out being skeptical that there was a conspiracy to kill the president, but as he continues to interview---and this is over decades of time---he comes to the only conclusion he can: that Oswald was not the lone gunman that the Warren Commission portrayed him to be. The evidence just didn't support that theory.

Excellent book for people with an open-mind about the crime of the century.
Charles
Dec 27, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it
If you've always believed Lee Harvey Oswald was surely the "lone gunman" who shot JFK, this book will--at the very least--rock the foundation of your conviction there. And, if you're like me, and don't think LHO even pulled a trigger AT ALL...your conviction of that truth will be further cemented. This author's 35 years of painstaking research and search for Victoria Adams [the 'Girl on the Stairs'], who descended the only set of stairs in the Texas School Book Depository from the 4th floor to g ...more
Michiel Hegener
Jan 29, 2015 Michiel Hegener rated it it was amazing
I've read piles of books on the assassination, but few if any were as gripping as this one. Barry Ernest reveals step by step how the testimonies of Victoria Adams and her three colleagues on the 4th floor, combined with testimonies of others in and around the TSBD, make it clear that Oswald was not on the 6th floor at the time of the shooting of JFK.
In addition, Ernest shows how the testimony of Victoria Adams was tampered with by the Warren Commission. Till reading this book I thought that, w
Dusti
May 15, 2011 Dusti rated it really liked it
I loooooove a good conspiracy book. This book and the author's exhaustive research of the Warren Commission's documentation and transcripts, reminds me that the WC is just baloney.
Elizabeth Horton-Newton
Jun 20, 2014 Elizabeth Horton-Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians, conspiracy inestigators
If you were anywhere in the world on November 22, 1963 you were undoubtedly aware of the assassination of President John Kennedy. There have been questions surrounding the event since that day. Was there a single assassin? Where did the shots come from? Were there any witnesses to support the theories that have been presented? Author Barry Ernest offers some answers to these questions in the riveting book “The Girl on the Stairs: The Search for a Missing Witness to the JFK Assassination”.
Ernest
Duncan Macdonald
I absolutely loved this book. It convinced me that Lee Oswald was NOT the assassin of President Kennedy. I would highly recommend this book to ANYONE that still has faith in the contributions of the Warren Commission, FBI, CIA or Secret Service toward solving the murders of JFK, JD Tippit or Lee Oswald. Well written and illuminating! Five Stars!
Gill Conachan
Aug 22, 2014 Gill Conachan rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Lots of the information withing i used as POI on my trip to dallas.
Say Mr Ernest at the November in Dallas conference and listen to him give a little talk on his reasearch.
Peter
Jan 07, 2016 Peter rated it really liked it
Another book which raises troubling questions about the Kennedy assassination and the alleged assassin.
Sallyreads
Jul 27, 2013 Sallyreads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book very much. One of my earliest memories at 8 years old is the JFK assassination. Not sure now what I saw, and what I've become familiar with over the years as the images are the same, over and over. Anyway, I've ready this and that, came to the conclusion that something was up - just what, I don't know. Barry Ernest's story of his long try to find Victoria Adams - and how her story undermined his belief in the "official story" is very interesting. I found it was a fresh look at ...more
Anthony
Mar 06, 2014 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book. There are a few points where the author goes off on tangents that, in my opinion, distract from the true intent of the book. He seems more concerned with back slapping his colleagues than should be necessary.

Also, in the quoted testimony at the end of the book, he should have been more clear with the discrepancies in what was stated and what was quoted from the Warren Commission's report, perhaps showing the unauthorized changes in a seperate adendum located after that. It was
Mike
May 15, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. It focused on one particular witness and their testimony.
Jamie McQuiggan
Jan 06, 2014 Jamie McQuiggan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Got me thinking so much...I'm utterly disturbed by the way the government handled the investigation of Kennedy's assassination. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't think Oswald did it. This book was a gift- my FIL worked with the author & MIL is actually mentioned in the acknowledgements! I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise but an really glad I did!
Florence Ditlow
Sep 15, 2013 Florence Ditlow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a riveting account focusing on a key witness to the assassination of JFK. Thoughtfully researched down to the footnotes, the work will stand as a reference book for students of history as well as truth seekers.
The author's own life adventures add much to this view of the mistreatment of a U.S. president.
Pamela B.
Oct 28, 2013 Pamela B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who have researched the topic, this is an excellent addition to the bookshelf. Highly informative and a captivating read. The author has an obvious passion for the true facts in the case and chases down actual witnesses. Should be more popular, I think.
Ava Fails
Jul 13, 2011 Ava Fails rated it it was amazing
An interesting decades-long search for an often ignored witness of the JFK Assassination. A book that goes beyond theories and follows through on years of research finally finding the "girl on the stairs" as an aging woman who finally tells her story.
Apzmarshl
Seems like great evidence. Sometimes feels repetitive. The testimony of Miss Adams is a very key piece, albeit small.....and this was a lengthy book. It did not really concentrate on putting forth other theories, just discrediting the Warren Report.
Dave Scrip
Jul 07, 2013 Dave Scrip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
An excellent memoir of an. early JFK assassination researcher. His decade research for the girl on the steps reveal a government cover up of the assassination. I enjoyed reading this book.
Jenna Battaile
Jul 02, 2014 Jenna Battaile rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a ridiculous book. A waste of my time. I won't waste any more time or words on it.
Michelle
May 01, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This was/is one of the best books regarding the JFK Assassination that I have ever read.
Bobbie Rathjens
Aug 01, 2013 Bobbie Rathjens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended! If you are a reader of the JFK assassination, don't miss this book.
Carla Leonard
May 16, 2013 Carla Leonard rated it it was amazing
Excellent book & very well written...a Great Story told by Mr Barry Ernest...
Gill Conachan
Aug 24, 2012 Gill Conachan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear and informative with a personal story threaded throughout.
Dawn
Aug 02, 2012 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a good premise but it got very slow at a few points.
Ordering of reviews list 2 10 Dec 08, 2015 03:06PM
  • Mary's Mosaic: The CIA Conspiracy to Murder John F. Kennedy, Mary Pinchot Meyer, and Their Vision for World Peace
  • The Kennedy Conspiracy
  • JFK Has Been Shot
  • Hit List: An In-Depth Investigation into the Mysterious Deaths of Witnesses to the JFK Assassination
  • On the Trail of the Assassins
  • They Killed Our President: 63 Reasons to Believe There Was a Conspiracy to Assassinate JFK
  • Survivor's Guilt: The Secret Service and the Failure to Protect President Kennedy
  • Deep Politics and the Death of JFK
  • Rush to Judgment: A Critique of the Warren Commission's Inquiry into the Murder of President
  • The Last Investigation
  • Best Evidence
  • JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters
  • The Echo from Dealey Plaza: the True Story of the First African American on the White House Secret Service Detail and His Quest for Justice After the Assassination of JFK
  • The Third Terrorist: The Middle East Connection to the Oklahoma City Bombing
  • JFK: The CIA, Vietnam and the Plot to Assassinate John F. Kennedy
  • Bombsites and Lollipops: My 1950s East End Childhood
  • Killing JFK: 50 Years, 50 Lies -From the Warren Commission to Bill O’Reilly, A History of Deceit in the Kennedy Assassination
  • High Treason: The Assassination of JFK & the Case for Conspiracy (Carroll & Graf)

“guilt.  The first announcement of Oswald as the lone assassin,” 0 likes