Something Deadly This Way Comes

Something Deadly This Way Comes (Madison Avery Trilogy #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,117 ratings  ·  175 reviews
I'm Madison Avery, in charge of heaven's hit squad . . . and fighting it all the way.

When Madison died the night of her prom, she knew her life would never be the same. Now she has a powerful amulet, a team of rogue angels by her side, and the ability to flash forward into the future to see the shape of destiny. And of course, now she's finally with Josh—a perfect boyfrien...more
Published May 24th 2011 by HarperCollins

Kelly
Flat out, this is isn't my favorite series. I have a really hard time wrapping my head around how the light reapers are willing to let their charges get EATEN INTO NOTHING on the very slim chance that they'll change and become a better person before they die. I guess I could get behind it a little more if their charges were allowed to keep their memories of meeting a reaper so that they could make a conscious decision to change or... or.... something. I don't know. I'm bothered by it. I get why...more
Beatriz
I'm sad that this is the last book in the Madison Avery series. I first read Kim Harrison's short story in Prom Nights From Hell, and I was really excited when she turned Madison's story into an actual book/series.
It was a really good book, and I think she ended the story on a good note. Although I was confused at some points throughout the book, I'm still glad I read it and got my closure with Madison. (view spoiler)...more
Kt
Ever since Madison was killed and thrust into leading the Dark Reapers as their Timekeeper on the side of Fate, her life has been one big chaotic mess. She would give almost anything to to change her fate and be just a normal girl again. However, she also realizes that the system must change, and she is just the girl for job. Well, the only girl that is. Everyone else seems content with the way things have been for a Milena or more. It's an uphill battle but one that she firmly believes in. Thin...more
Kathy Davie
Third in the Madison Avery urban fantasy young adult series about Madison herself as the Dark Timekeeper aching to change the status quo—save the person whose soul is in danger instead of simply killing them.

The Story
Being dead, Madison has no need for food or sleep although she still attends high school, has a boyfriend, an after-school job, and, oh yeah, she reaps the souls of those who are at risk. Not happy with killing someone without giving them the opportunity to change their direction, M...more
Annabell
Upon reading the blurb to this book, I had been instantly intrigued and very curious to know what this story would be like. I did not, however, pay attention to the fact that Something Deadly This Way Comes is the third installment in Kim Harrison’s Madison Avery series so when I received the advance copy of the novel I had wondered if I would actually even enjoy the book because I hadn’t read the first two. Not only did I ABSOLUTELY love this book, I had trouble putting it down!

The cast of cha...more
Darcy
I wasn't even going to read this book because as much as I love this author's Rachel Morgan series, this one is sub par. But once I heard that this was the last book in the series, I thought why not...I knew the book was going to be a quick fast read like the others and it was.

The antics of Madison and her crew were mildly interesting. I did like how she wanted to save people's souls, that they didn't need to be reaped. I also liked how she got those around her to help her, but she needed more...more
pinkthecolour
Ugh. The idea behind this series is brilliantly unique - the execution, however, is not. Madison is annoying, childish and repetitive. The romance is completely unbelievable with the love interest absent from most of the book (heck, series). (view spoiler). It was just badly written. Awesome idea, though. That was what kept me going.
Doris
I have a lot of trouble understanding the current fascination of romance between the living and the dead, and our heroine is decidedly dead. She is a timekeeper, and although her role is explained, those who taught her don't have all the facts.

That makes it difficult when she is presented with a crisis of conscience, where her choices are to kill a teen, or put her in protective custody until she dies anyway. Regardless of the choice, it will not turn out well for the teen. Our heroine defies th...more
Jean
2.5 stars. I think the first book was probably my favorite, because it seemed more fast-paced throughout the whole book. The 3rd book definitely picked up at the end but had some slow parts, especially in the middle.

Madison started to bug me in this one. It seemed like she had a few TSTL (too stupid to live) moments and came across as selfish. Also, I wasn't really surprised by the ending. It seemed inevitable that it would end that way.

It's definitely not my favorite trilogy, but I liked the...more
Brad
What did I think of the trilogy? It was ok. I didn't have and serious issues with it, and of course, my desire to judge it on its own merits steers me away from most other considerations, IE., this was intended to be a YA novel, like the others. The original push of the novels was fairly interesting, but it could have been developed with less of a straight line. I don't mean that the characters needed to be different, per-se, only the revelations and perhaps the underlying plot.
I've seen some v...more
Yodamom
2.5 I tried, I wanted to like it, I wanted to support one of my favorite authors. But the main character Madison, was too immature, too selfish, got my ;last nerve twitching. I just couldn't get past my dislike of her to enjoy the story. It is a shame , I liked the side characters and the plot was interesting.
It just didn't work for me.
Kendra
Okay. So the story of this trilogy is pretty good. BUT I saw some major continuity issues. In the first book there was a character named Lucy and a dog named Sandy, Nakita white wings and Barnabas had grey wings. In book two Nakita had black wings and Barnabas had white wings. And in the third book, the dog's name changed to Lucy! It seems like they went through this book with such a cursory editing eye that details slipped through... The details may seem small but if an author can't keep her OW...more
Marie
Really am enjoying this series! It's different and really... Cool. I didnt enjoy this book as much as the first two but the first ones are always better.

Can't wait to see how everything evolves in book 4:)
Alison S
Madison Avery the new "dark" timekeeper, doesn't want to be dark, but them again she now doesn't want to light, so she is out to change the rules of the game. She is joined by her boyfriend Josh, some reapers that might be dark, or might be light, or maybe they have turned grim but still they seem to believe that she can change things and are willing to help.
Then Madison figures out how she might get her body back, that is alive again, not as a living ghost. But should she or will it cause unfor...more
Bree
Ok, so.
Basically I read the first book in this series a while back and I surprisingly really enjoyed it. Then I read the second one and I was like alright this is pretty damn intriguing and since it's a trilogy, I was like *shrugs* may as well finish this baby.
So.
I did.
And I gotta say, the negatives in this book, unfortunately, outweighed the positives.
I mean, sure the story was interesting but I just felt that the whole book itself could literally of been written 1/4 of what it was - the sto...more
Diane Ferbrache
Madison died tragically on Prom night, but in a strange twist of fate with the help of a special amulet, she becomes a timekeeper – a supernatural (heavenly?) creature who can see the future and help save souls in peril. She has a corporeal presence and has even reunited with her family and boyfriend Josh who loves her even though she’s dead. Can she convince the seraphs that she can change people’s lives and save their souls so they do not have to die prematurely?
This novel is apparently base...more
Aydrea
I love this series because Madison is such a kick butt character. Her journey through the series so far has been so crazy! I just fly through each book (they are fairly short though) and it is always a roller-coaster ride. There were so many important plot points pulled together in this story and lots of new things to look forward to in upcoming books! I love that Madison hasn't given up on what she believes in and I am glad that things are starting to work out for her.

I love to see the others...more
Metagion
I gotta say I enjoyed this book. This series (somewhat) defines light v. dark, good v. evil (of a kind), and while you think that sometimes things that SEEM "black and white" are clearly defined, they aren't, much like life. Madison (the heroine in this series) is not your typical teenager: killed in a car accident, she winds up becoming a 'reaper', taking souls before their time so that they don't become "stained" or "tainted" with darkness, and go to Heaven; but she is attacked by 'dark reaper...more
Malin
Madison is still struggling to get to grips with her role as the dark Timekeeper, and trying to prove that people's lives can be changed, and that the Dark Reapers don't have to kill a person to save their soul just as soon as their lives take a wrong turn. She has a vision that a teenage girl, Tammy, will lose her will to live and doom her soul once her brother dies in a fire, and goes to California with Nakita and Barnabas, her two Reapers, to convince her to stay home, but just appears to mak...more
Chandni
I absolutely love Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series, but I don’t think she has the knack for being a young adult writer. I don’t think it’s really her fault, she just doesn’t know how to write a teenage character. How many teenagers say “Puppy presents” instead of just swearing? For a girl that’s supposed to have broken a ton of rules and be a wild child, her language sure is mild. But I digress.

In this novel, (third and final in the series), Madison is still trying to save souls instead of be...more
P.E.
Something Deadly This Way Comes was another addition to the fabulous Madison Avery series by Kim Harrison. It was probably my favorite of them all.

Upon starting the novel, I was a bit nervous because I didn't remember everything from the previous novels. I was worried I wouldn't understand what's happening but I shouldn't have worried since everything important came back to me. The book also had Madison explain or reference what had happened before a bit to refresh my memory.

I love Kim Harrison...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is the first book I've read in the Madison Avery series and I have to say I've been missing out. Kim Harrison introduces a strong, relatable female heroine who's determined to change ancient law in an endless, epic battle between both light and dark angels who stake their claim on human souls. Not only is there a great mythology, but this book is surprisingly entertaining and engaging with it's cast of fabulous characters with extraordinary paranormal gifts, the plot twists, and it's realis...more
Jessica
Kim Harrison's Something Deadly this Way Comes completes her Madison Avery trilogy and I was able to get it finished in day! It was a pretty fast read too! Kim has always been one of my fave authors, ever since I started reading adult UF and her YA UF series has been just as fun!

Madison is the dark timekeeper and her life has been difficult ever since she died on her prom night, ahh high school. She has had a tough ride ever since trying to act like she's a normal living girl and hiding her secr...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS staff member Annabell Cadiz

Something Deadly This Way Comes
Author: Kim Harrison

Synopsis: When Madison died the night after her prom, she knew her life would never be the same. Now she has a powerful amulet, a team of rogue angels by her side, and the ability to flash forward into the future to see the shape of destiny. And of course, now she’s finally with Josh--a perfect boyfriend who doesn’t even mind that she’s dead.

But being dead has its disadvantages, too. Madison feels...more
Nalla
Kim Harrison beweist wieder einmal enorm großen Humor, gepaart mit dem Talent Himmel und Hölle durcheinander zu bringen, so dass man als Leser nicht mehr weiß was nun besser ist: Dunkel oder Licht?
In ihrem dritten Madison Avery Roman "Böse Mädchen sterben nicht" hat ihre gleichnamige Hauptprotagonistin nicht mehr viel zu lachen - zumindest auf den ersten Blick.

Madison Avery und ihre beiden Todesengel Barnabas und Nakita sind wieder auf einer Mission. Während Madison den Seraphim versuchen will d...more
Liliana ♥s Mythology
review also found here: http://lili-lost-in-a-book.blogspot.c...

Madison is still getting used to being the dark timekeeper and boss of all the dark reapers. It’s a lot to ask for from a girl who is still in high school. She is also still trying to convince the seraphs that killing someone before their soul dies or slapping a guardian angel on them so the dark reapers won’t kill them is not the only thing to do. Madison believes in choice. And it they can convince the “target” to change their lif...more
Amanda
I've had an interesting relationship with Kim Harrison. I read the first book in the Rachel Morgan series a few years ago, and was only lukewarm toward the series. After reading a few more books I became hooked, and was a Kim Harrison/Rachel Morgan fan. So, I decided to check out her young adult series, Madison Avery. I was honestly not that excited about the series at first, but it grew on me as it went on. So, since I had gone this far, I decided I should at least finish out the series.

Somethi...more
Candace Wynell McHann
Oh Kim Harrison. I love your books so much.

There. That said…

Something Deadly This Way Comes is the third installment of the Madison Avery series. Madison is indeed sassy and smart, like most young adult heroine are, but she is also slightly reckless, a wee bit headstrong, and more than slightly determined to prove that given a chance and choice, a soul bound for fallen from grace can be saved, sparing the life and the soul.

In this edition, Harrison thrusts Madison further than the previous book...more
Mairead Park
I was appalled at how much time and energy the characters spent around changing the outcome of one night. Seriously? Did anyone other than me wonder if the teen, sneaking out one night, maybe by chance find herself sneaking out a different night? perhaps that could potentially have the same dire outcome? Okay so they change Tammy NOT leaving her inattentive, video engrossed, severely helpless little brother alone THAT night. She's a teenager! Are we to assume that she never ever sneaks out again...more
Danya
If you'd like to see my review of the first two in this series, go here. There may be some spoilers here for the previous novels if you have not yet read them.

One sentence sum-up: reapers and black wings and seraphs, oh my!

My reaction: I found this final book in the Madison Avery series to be quite entertaining for most of the way through. The intricate celestial system of seraphs, guardian angels, reapers and the like has really been solidified by this point, and I appreciated the amount of tho...more
SPF9: Sun-Proof F...: SOMETHING DEADLY THIS WAY COMES by Kim Harrison 1 9 Jun 12, 2012 03:09PM
  • Lemniscate (Angel Star, #2)
  • Lost Truth (Truth, #4)
  • Dead Rules
  • Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2)
  • Eternity (Fallen Angel, #2)
  • Mindhealer (Watcher, #5)
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
  • Wildcat Fireflies (Fenestra, #2)
  • Night School (Blood Coven Vampire, #5)
  • The Vision (The Mark, #2)
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)
  • Honeyed Words (Sarah Beauhall #2)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • The Siren's Cry (The Otherworldlies #2)
  • Unseen (Outcast Season, #3)
  • Swear (Swoon, #2)
  • A Touch Morbid (A Touch Trilogy, #2)
  • Hexbound (Dark Elite, #2)
Kim Harrison, dark urban fantasy author of the New York Times bestselling Ever After, was born and raised in the upper Midwest. After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina until the lure of snow pulled her back to Michigan When not at her desk, she is most likely to be found landscaping her yard or on the links with her mom.

Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook h...more
More about Kim Harrison...
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)

“Endings are not always bad. Most times they're just beginnings in disguise.” 89 likes
“Even a superhero needs a place to be normal.” 5 likes