Start by marking “Satan's Sisters: A Novel Work of Fiction” as Want to Read:
Satan's Sisters: A Novel Work of Fiction

Satan's Sisters: A Novel Work of Fiction

Set against the bright lights and live feed of daytime television, Satan’s Sisters by veteran TV insider Star Jones spins an irresistible tale of ruthless ambition, guarded secrets, backstabbing drama, true sisterhood, and an unforgettable tour backstage where the real “talk” takes place.

Satan’s Sisters is the story of The Lunch Club, a long-running, popular ladies’ talk
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Satan's Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Satan's Sisters

Electra
Sep 20, 2011 Electra rated it liked it
Oh man this is terrible and perfect for a sick day. One of my many guilty pleasures is watching The View, although I haven't seen it in over a year. So naturally I picked this up when I saw it at the library. Nope, I don't recommend it but I'm determined to finish it. Loads of sex, backstabbery and total bitches. I think it was ghostwritten.
Vi Louise
Apr 26, 2016 Vi Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Like reading gossip blog: lots of characters involved in messy situations
Reading in Black & White
Jul 03, 2011 Reading in Black & White rated it it was amazing
Title: Satan’s Sisters
Author: Star Jones
Rating: 5
Headline: Is This Art Imitating Real Life?

When I first read the jacket for “Satan’s Sisters” I thought Star Jones was still a bitter ex-host of a daytime talk show. As many know, she was one of the original hosts for the daytime talk show, “The View” who was essentially fired. “Satan’s Sisters” is work of fiction that is centered on a daytime talk show that is hosted by five women.

Much to my surprise and maybe to others disappointment, this is NOT
Debbie J
This novel annoyed me right off the bat by introducing too many names at the same time. And if Satan’s Sisters weren't a deliberately trashy airport book I'd complain about the dialogue and how humans don't speak the way they do here.

Given its writer--former “The View” TV show host Star Jones—and the backstage intrigues plot line, one would tend to see the story as a roman à clef. However, some characters seem like composites of composites of composites, something which could distract the averag
Beth Bedee
Jun 15, 2011 Beth Bedee rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, audio
I read some reviews where it said this book had a lot of sex. I thought they were exaggerating. They did not. There was a LOT of sex. I don't mind that sort of stuff, but for those that do...beware.

For the first several chapters, I had a hard time keeping up with all the characters. I also kept trying to figure out which one matched up with which View cast member. While the characters have some characteristics of the View ladies, I really don't think any of them are prototypes for these characte
Marie
Feb 04, 2012 Marie rated it it was ok
I will never again be able to look at Star Jones and see a classy southern lady, as she often self describes. I am not a prude, but there was far to much sex in this book, closely bordering on vulgar. Also, waaaaay to many characters are introduced, and so many of them have nothing to do with the plot at all, and yet it goes into great, intricate detail with all of them. Between this and all the sex, it felt like she was going to great pains to streaaaaaaaach the book out. Such a waste of time. ...more
Raelynn
Apr 04, 2011 Raelynn added it
Shelves: didntfinish
didn't even get thru the first chapter.
Shefali
Jun 30, 2012 Shefali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Satan’s Sisters on a whim, because I had heard the title tossed around a few places, not because I follow Star Jones’ career or because I watch/watched The View. I’ve read very little “chick lit” in my time, but I still thought I’d enjoy Satan’s Sisters fairly well. Maybe chick lit does just have a lot of sex and drama and clichés in it, and maybe I’m just ignorant, but I was surprised by how bad the writing was.

The omniscient narrator quickly became annoying; she was predictab
Jillian Cooper
I purchased this book for several reasons: 1) The juicy premise and the attractive cover piqued my curiosity, 2) As an aspiring daytime talk show host, I thought I'd get incredible insight into the behind-the-scenes life of one, 3) It always intrigues me when I hear of a celebrity I admire writing a novel. It helps me determine if it was ghostwritten or if they actually have some hidden talent, 4) There was gossip of it being a thinly-veiled tell-all of Star and her co-hosts on "The View" during ...more
Author Lesley Hal
Jul 17, 2012 Author Lesley Hal rated it liked it
A lot of potential but ...,

Satan's Sisters has the potential to be everything that Star Jones had intended for it to be. The book builds the readers up just to let the drama that was suspected fizzle out by everything being told by the narrator at the end. The only Satan Sister was Maxine in my opinion. She used her power to intimidate the ladies of the Lunch Club as well as those around her by reeking havoc however and wherever she could. Everyone walked on pins and needles where she was conce
Althea
May 18, 2011 Althea rated it it was ok
Again, a book that I wanted to like, just as a purely salacious summer read, but even fluff needs a narrative and relatable characters, and the problem is that I really just didn't know who I was supposed to root for here. At first, I thought this was going to be a thinly-veiled account of "The View," but none of the characters really strike me as a caricature of those ladies. So instead, it's just a novel about the many feuds and affairs of an all-female talk show cast, who find out that a form ...more
Raquel
Jun 28, 2012 Raquel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to be nosy. Why did Star Jones get kicked off The View? One chapter in I realized that I never watched enough of The View to even know who each character in the book is supposed to represent from the show. So I just tried to enjoy the story.
Jones writes a fictional story based on her experiences on the show and it was okay in an PG urban literature kind of way--gossip, sex, lies, and drugs. My favorite character is Maxine who I was hoping at 65 years old would change or show so
Amanda
Apr 02, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I was able to give this half stars, because I would probably give it more like a 2 1/2.

To me, it seems like the book jacket doesn't really give the best picture of the book. I mean, those things do happen, but it wasn't exactly what I thought it would be...I'm not sure how to better explain that. Mainly I just read it out of curiosity anyway.

I liked the characters, and the story was okay, but usually I read a book of this length, or maybe longer, in about 3-4 days, and this time I took 7
Amiee
I read this book as a book club selection. It's summer so we wanted something light and we recently heard the book was going to be made into a movie or tv series.

Well...I didn't have high hopes and I was disappointed. I thought that there were too many characters! the fact that Star changed up the real people with her fictional characters made it doubly confusing!

It was an interesting peek into "the view" but so much was changed I guess it's really fiction! :)

I also thought the sex was a bit ov
Sandra
Apr 05, 2011 Sandra added it
I picked this book because I must admit I was intrigued. Star Jones writing a fiction book about daytime talk show hosts? I am dying to know exactly how much is based on truth...

This book is about daytime talk show hosts whose worlds are about to be rocked by a book written by a former cohost. Each of the current hosts has a secret that they are harboring and worried that it may be exposed in the book.

This was a quick read for me. I thought the story was entertaining but also very predictable. I
Chyna
Oct 28, 2012 Chyna rated it really liked it
Star Jones has really captured the attention of her audience by allowing the reader a fly on the wall view into each of her characters sordid affairs. She adds some of her own humorous characteristics to the story line which makes it enjoyable to read. If you are a woman who loves to hear about the antics of other peoples lives/affairs, you will enjoy this book.

The only downside to this fictional novel is that there are far too many characters to keep up with that the reader may be left wonderi
Bernice Watson
May 01, 2015 Bernice Watson rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! I could not put it down! It was everything that it promised to be. A backdoor lens into the scandalous business world of TV. The book was well written, the up and downs of the plots were intriguing. Lies, deceit, illicit affairs and family woes dominate the themes. Juicy stuff. It was fun trying to see if Star Jones was talking about her ex-cohosts on the View, but I did not see any familiar characteristics. This was a good fiction book. I am late reading it. It was pub ...more
Chris
May 11, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this to see if I could recognize the characters in this fictional book, from "The View". She did have a matriarch that had qualities of Barbara Walters, but she really made her a composite of more than one person, so it really wasn't Ms Walters at all. She gave lots in inside information about working on a Talk Show, without giving away any real people. I couldn't put the book down. It was similar to a Jackie Collins novel, but not quite as good. I saw aspects of Rosie O'Donnell ...more
Linda Boyd
The first time I saw this book was at the book store - decided that I didn't really want to pay for a book that was written by Star Jones, so I passed. Later I ran across it again at the library on audio and decided - what the heck! Only to discover that it wasn't a bad book after all and Ms Star Jones, did a really good job. I really enjoyed the story line, she wrote about what she knows, it is about 5 ladies on a daytime talk show very similar to The View, but their show is called The Lunch Cl ...more
Kimberly
Feb 03, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was ok
I thought this book was entertaining for what it was. I've never watched The View (or The Talk) but I could imagine that this was an exaggerated version of what really goes on behind the scenes. I thought she did a decent job of giving each of the main characters a storyline however, there are a lot of characters in this book. My biggest issue was that I listened to this as an audiobook and Star Jones should have left the reading to a professional. Her voice was quite grating and her Southern ac ...more
Yasmin
May 30, 2011 Yasmin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Verdict is still out on this one...just started it but (on around page 50) but I've already encountered at least 12 characters and two sex scenes...and about a handful of designer shoes/clothing mentions...as well as mentions of Jimmy Kimmel and Barbara Walton. Those expecting this to be a tell-all about being on The View...thing again...these characters are so far from the ones portrayed on the View that unless you know the ladies personally (and then even if you) you probably won't be able to ...more
Monique
Jul 13, 2011 Monique rated it really liked it
I have to be honest several people I know didn't care for this book but I had to read it for myself. I thought it was very entertaining but truly a "novel work of fiction". The story focuses around a daytime talk show "The Lunch Club". The stories, lies and madness that (could) happen in show business. I was surprised by Star's sense of humor, ability to create erotic tryst and knack for messy gossip. There are a number of characters to keep up with and story lines to follow but it adds to the g ...more
Ja'nai
Oct 15, 2011 Ja'nai rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read this book but it was poorly written. This book was unable to pull me nor hod my attention. None of the characters were easy to relate to and after about 50 pages I realized that I wasn't vested in any of them nor did I care about the outcome of the fictional tell all novel. I commend those who were able to stick it out and finish this one.
Kim
Aug 25, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok
Crude book. I'm not prudish, and I can read just about anything with interest, if it's not gibberish or crude for the sale of sales, but this book is not only crude, it's boring, and confusing. I just didn't get it, could barely keep myself interested in it. It was a waste of money. Star Jones should be able to do better, I would think.
Penny
Oct 31, 2011 Penny rated it it was ok
Maybe it was because I listened to the audio-version, which Star read, but I had a hard time following all of the characters' storylines. I'm no prude, but at times it was down-right vulgar. I am a big fan of The View, but could find no correlation and I guess that is why they can't sue her. Interesting that they didn't ask her on the show when she was doing her book tour...
Kaalomai
Mar 31, 2012 Kaalomai rated it did not like it
i havent really read this. i stopped because it seemed like it was just going to be alot of mudslinging and ugliness. i dont read that brand of pulp. its also the reason i dont read jackie collins books. i'd rather not dedicate large chunks of my life energy and time on reading ugly stories about ugly people doing ugly things.
~Gen hearts books.~

This book was not as bad as some readers or reviewers said it was. In my opinion, it wasn't bad at all. There was A LOT of sex in this book and at times, it was a bit much for me. Although, I did enjoy the storyline and most of the characters. It was interesting listening to the women characters in the book. The only character that I didn't like was Whitney's husband.
Debra Odom
Dec 01, 2012 Debra Odom rated it liked it
A slow read in the beginning. The book gets better about one-third is to the book. In the beginning, it was hard to sort out the characters. Would I recommend that my BookClub read this book. Probably. My first thought was that this book was about Star Jones time on the View. Many of the characters in this book makes the reader go hmmmmmmm...... LOL.
Temeca Curry
Apr 22, 2016 Temeca Curry rated it did not like it
I decided to read this book because I heard that a tv series was in the works. I also needed a lighter read after reading A Thousand Splendid Suns which was mentally and emotionally heavy. I honestly didn't expect much from this book so I guess it "served its purpose" but the end was wrapped too nicely in a bow and would have been better if everything didn't end so perfectly. 1 1/2 stars.
Ellen
Mar 19, 2013 Ellen rated it did not like it
I thought it would be amusing so I gave it a try. Blah. Trashy chick lit, and that's being kind. I listened for about an hour and returned the book to electronic no man's land. Now, I'll say Star Jones seems to have a knack for story telling, but I'm thinking she can do better--maybe clean up the language a little and forget the gratuitous sex.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Platinum
  • Forever Soul Ties
  • The Iron Duke
  • An Ordinary Woman
  • She's the One
  • God Ain't Through Yet (God Don't Like Ugly, #5)
  • The Vow
  • The Eternal Engagement
  • Passing Love
  • Can I Get a Witness?
  • Can't Get Enough
Star Jones Reynolds is an American lawyer, best known for her role as a co-host of the ABC weekday morning talk show The View. On August 20, 2007, she began hosting an eponymous talk show based on the law and pop culture as part of Court TV's daytime programming.
More about Star Jones...