Start by marking “In Love with Eleanor Rigby” as Want to Read:
In Love with Eleanor Rigby

In Love with Eleanor Rigby

A romantic comedy set in the urban South. Joe is a carpenter; Tabitha a milliner. When they first meet, they fall head-over-heels in love with one another. But Joe has a dark past and attends AA twice each week. He is afraid to let down the most beautiful woman he's ever known by revealing his weaknesses. And so he keeps it from her. And keeps it from her. Until one day, s ...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about In Love with Eleanor Rigby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Love with Eleanor Rigby

Beth Roberts
Way back in 2010 when I got my first Kindle, Amazon was releasing tons of free titles every day. I grabbed a bunch of them, stocking up in case I ever wound up with nothing to read.

Seriously - nothing to read?!

Some of those freebies have led me to authors I follow to this day. Others, not so much.

Sadly, this one will fall into that latter category.

I know what I thought when I got this: "Oh, cool, Eleanor Rigby, the Beatles, this could be great."

I finally read it today, over 5 years later.

It has
Juliet
Firstly, this book needs to be proof read and edited. The sentence construction is bad....VERY bad. Too many repetitive words. I say, she say, I say, she say. These just kept repeating in one single page. The idea behind the story is good but the book is very badly written and there are various mistake which could have been omitted if the author takes sometime to reread her own book before publishing. An example will be: Up close Tabitha's hair smells like papaya-scented shampoo and is soft and ...more
Silvia
Charming!

Wow! This short quirky story about a new relationship between two average people, Joe and Tabitha, took me by surprise. It was written from Joe's POV in a different sort of way; an unstructured, rambling, jumbled mixed up kind of way. It was written as Joe was thinking about his feelings for Tabitha and then towards the end of the story how he was struggling with the need to reveal a part of himself that could doom their relationship. What struck me is how I could identify with his thou
Angela Delgado
Jan 10, 2012 Angela Delgado rated it it was amazing
Very, very short and does exactly everything it needed to do in that space. This is an excellent example of making the most out of every word. The cover image is an odd choice, as there are no bikinis in the narration; but I like the title - the story evokes a feeling that it could be related to "All the Lonely People" without ever trying to duplicate or quote the song itself.

I thought it was really touching; the stream-of-consciousness, first-person narration gives everything a sense of immedia
Aimee
DNF. Really happy this was a fee Kindle download. I really would have been mad if I had paid for this. There are only 709 locations & I read to 63%, but I just can't force myself to finish this. It reminds me of a really annoying person who is telling a story and I would rather go to the dentist than listen to them. The main character's "voice" grates on my nerves. "Like", "See", "I say" and "Joint" (as in referring to a place) are extremely overused. I will be so happy to remove this from m ...more
Bethany
Dec 06, 2012 Bethany rated it liked it
For a short story I actually think it was pretty good. (You must, however, be able to get past this terrible, juvenile sentence: "Up close, Tabitha's hair smells like papaya-scented shampoo and is soft and smooth like silk or satin or like well shampooed hair that's been shampooed with papaya-scented shampoo." Ugh. Laughable.

Otherwise I think it had all the elements of a good story. Super-quick read.
Amanda
Sep 27, 2012 Amanda rated it did not like it
I'm so glad this was free on Amazon when I got it. The story starts out ok and I am reading along fine, until I get to about 85% and there's so much AND and LIKE usage I'm about to throw my kindle fire across the room....but I love my kindle and would never do such a thing!!! Anyway the story could really use an editor. I'm unsure of the ending because I skimmed from 85%-100%.
Breedeen
Jan 28, 2012 Breedeen rated it liked it
Longer than a short story, but not quite a novella--this is a novelette (and no, I'm not making this term up).

There is some beautiful language, though at times it can be a bit overwritten. But it's all in keeping with the protagonist's character, someone who at the beginning of the novelette is searching for a book by JD Salinger.
Steven
Oct 25, 2012 Steven rated it it was ok
First person story with a recovering alcoholic struggling to decide whether to tell his new girl about it. Brief and not all that sexy and no real scene as depicted on the cover, but not bad all in all.
Anja Mizner
Jan 10, 2012 Anja Mizner rated it it was ok
Different style of writing. I didn't like it to much but that's my opinion.
Toni Pope
Jan 09, 2012 Toni Pope rated it did not like it
I couldnt make it much further than the first few pages..HORRIBLE.
Paula
Feb 01, 2014 Paula rated it did not like it
Whether or not to tell his girlfriend that he is an alcoholic? Really? I did not like this. Good thing it was short.
Susie Dahlk
Eh? A little silly at times.
Michele Padua
Jan 08, 2012 Michele Padua rated it did not like it
I didn't realize this was a short story. Glad it was because I didn't like it at all!
Sharon Jones
Not bad - a cute little novella.
Ginger
Jan 07, 2012 Ginger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
The description sounded really good, but sadly, the book wasn't. This had some serious editing issues which, for me, took away from the story. I'm really glad this was a freebie.
Sara
Oct 11, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
I definatly did not get what I thought with this book. It was ok, more like a short story than a book. I think it could've been a great story if the time was put into it with more detail.
Ramona
Mar 06, 2013 Ramona rated it it was ok
Not a bad story, but the writing was atrocious. It may have been part of setting the mood, but I just found it obnoxious.
Jen
Jan 03, 2013 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish, kindle
I do not like to read books written from the perspective of a crazy or disjointed thought person. I could not get into it at all. Didn't finish it, but it was a Kindle freebie, so it wasn't a waste.
Sara Mancini
Jan 14, 2012 Sara Mancini rated it really liked it
It reminded me of Catcher in the Rye and Holden's fragmented thoughts.
Kit Swindle
Apr 22, 2012 Kit Swindle rated it liked it
Unique, quick read; I liked it okay. Lots of cool undertones and an expressionistic writing style.
Tammy L Warchol
Tammy L Warchol rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
K.sabetta
K.sabetta rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2012
Jayce
Jayce rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2013
Karen Sheres
Karen Sheres rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2012
Roberto Scarlato
Roberto Scarlato rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Cynthia Mckinnon
Cynthia Mckinnon rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2015
Natalia
Natalia rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Getting Sassy
  • My Boyfriend's Back
  • Last Summer
  • Devil Moon
  • Organize for a Fresh Start: Embrace Your Next Chapter in Life
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • Murder Over Easy
  • Return Of The Runaway Bride
  • The Beholder
  • Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out
  • Dragon Blues
  • Trusting Him (Italian Lovers, #3)
  • The Merry-Go-Round