Start by marking “In Love with Eleanor Rigby” as Want to Read:
In Love with Eleanor Rigby

In Love with Eleanor Rigby

2.36 of 5 stars 2.36  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A romantic comedy set in the urban South. Joe is a carpenter; Tabitha a milliner. When they first meet, they fall head-over-heels in love with one another. But Joe has a dark past and attends AA twice each week. He is afraid to let down the most beautiful woman he's ever known by revealing his weaknesses. And so he keeps it from her. And keeps it from her. Until one day, s ...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about In Love with Eleanor Rigby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Love with Eleanor Rigby

Juliet
Firstly, this book needs to be proof read and edited. The sentence construction is bad....VERY bad. Too many repetitive words. I say, she say, I say, she say. These just kept repeating in one single page. The idea behind the story is good but the book is very badly written and there are various mistake which could have been omitted if the author takes sometime to reread her own book before publishing. An example will be: Up close Tabitha's hair smells like papaya-scented shampoo and is soft and ...more
C
The writing itself isn't worth 3 stars, with several occasions where words don't fit together ("and" and "but" right next to each other) and it appears to ramble, but I'm pretty sure that's by design. It's a good glimpse into the mind of a recovering alcoholic, though, and that's what earned it at least 3 stars in my opinion. This is excellent insight into the thought process that many non-alcoholics don't know about, and what makes it so hard for the recovering alcoholic or addict to automatica ...more
Paula
Whether or not to tell his girlfriend that he is an alcoholic? Really? I did not like this. Good thing it was short.
Angela Delgado
Very, very short and does exactly everything it needed to do in that space. This is an excellent example of making the most out of every word. The cover image is an odd choice, as there are no bikinis in the narration; but I like the title - the story evokes a feeling that it could be related to "All the Lonely People" without ever trying to duplicate or quote the song itself.

I thought it was really touching; the stream-of-consciousness, first-person narration gives everything a sense of immedia
Aimee
DNF. Really happy this was a fee Kindle download. I really would have been mad if I had paid for this. There are only 709 locations & I read to 63%, but I just can't force myself to finish this. It reminds me of a really annoying person who is telling a story and I would rather go to the dentist than listen to them. The main character's "voice" grates on my nerves. "Like", "See", "I say" and "Joint" (as in referring to a place) are extremely overused. I will be so happy to remove this from m ...more
Bethany
For a short story I actually think it was pretty good. (You must, however, be able to get past this terrible, juvenile sentence: "Up close, Tabitha's hair smells like papaya-scented shampoo and is soft and smooth like silk or satin or like well shampooed hair that's been shampooed with papaya-scented shampoo." Ugh. Laughable.

Otherwise I think it had all the elements of a good story. Super-quick read.
Amanda
I'm so glad this was free on Amazon when I got it. The story starts out ok and I am reading along fine, until I get to about 85% and there's so much AND and LIKE usage I'm about to throw my kindle fire across the room....but I love my kindle and would never do such a thing!!! Anyway the story could really use an editor. I'm unsure of the ending because I skimmed from 85%-100%.
Breedeen
Longer than a short story, but not quite a novella--this is a novelette (and no, I'm not making this term up).

There is some beautiful language, though at times it can be a bit overwritten. But it's all in keeping with the protagonist's character, someone who at the beginning of the novelette is searching for a book by JD Salinger.
Steven
First person story with a recovering alcoholic struggling to decide whether to tell his new girl about it. Brief and not all that sexy and no real scene as depicted on the cover, but not bad all in all.
Jen
I do not like to read books written from the perspective of a crazy or disjointed thought person. I could not get into it at all. Didn't finish it, but it was a Kindle freebie, so it wasn't a waste.
Sara
I definatly did not get what I thought with this book. It was ok, more like a short story than a book. I think it could've been a great story if the time was put into it with more detail.
Ginger
Mar 05, 2014 Ginger rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
The description sounded really good, but sadly, the book wasn't. This had some serious editing issues which, for me, took away from the story. I'm really glad this was a freebie.
Ramona
Not a bad story, but the writing was atrocious. It may have been part of setting the mood, but I just found it obnoxious.
Kit Swindle
Unique, quick read; I liked it okay. Lots of cool undertones and an expressionistic writing style.
Michele Padua
I didn't realize this was a short story. Glad it was because I didn't like it at all!
Sara Mancini
It reminded me of Catcher in the Rye and Holden's fragmented thoughts.
Anja Mizner
Different style of writing. I didn't like it to much but that's my opinion.
Toni Pope
I couldnt make it much further than the first few pages..HORRIBLE.
Sheriece
Very quick, simple read. Good story!
Sharon Jones
Not bad - a cute little novella.
Susie Dahlk
Eh? A little silly at times.
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Jeannette
Jeannette marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jessica Booth
Jessica Booth marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
  • Organize for a Fresh Start: Embrace Your Next Chapter in Life
  • That Devil Moon
  • Drawing Free
  • Murder Over Easy
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • Last Summer
  • Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out
  • Unto These Hills
  • The Beholder
  • Destined, a novel of the Tarot
  • The Merry-Go-Round
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • Here, Have a Husband
  • 1929: Book One (The 1929 Series)
  • Wedding Bell Blues