Start by marking “Summer in the City” as Want to Read:
Summer in the City

Summer in the City

Lucy White can’t quite believe what’s happened to her happy, ordinary life. Ending up homeless – not to mention husbandless – has come as an almighty shock. All she wants to do is lie low for a while, but when she arrives in a quiet street in South London she’s in for a surprise.

The residents of Farewell Square are anything but quiet. There’s a housewife with a secret that
Paperback
Published July 3rd 2006 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about Summer in the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer in the City

David Proffitt
Feb 11, 2017 David Proffitt rated it really liked it
Take any suburban street in any city and it you will find a microcosm of society. From the ubiquitous average family to the eccentric or plain barmy, they will all be there somewhere. And it’s because of this we can relate to the strangely bizarre set of characters for whom Farewell Square is home.

There are a lot of characters introduced very quickly and at first I found it difficult to work out who was who and what their role was. But Pauline McLynn’s gloriously captivating narrative very soon
Claire
Mar 06, 2014 Claire rated it it was ok
It's a page turner but left me wondering was it worth it when I turned to the final page. The characters lacked depth thus making them difficult to engage with. The plots were interesting but the connection between the subplots seemed forced. The story lacked reality but didn't quite leap into the realms of completely unrealistic, fluffy chicklit in which reality does not matter. An ok read, good to pass the time especially during times of stress or exhaustion! Switch off brain and read happily ...more
Wilkie Martin
Jan 15, 2012 Wilkie Martin rated it liked it
I found the number of characters introduced at the start meant that it was difficult to work out who was who, what was happening and why i should be interested in them. However, I persisted and it began to make sense and I enjoyed it. It is set, perhaps, in a not very believable and rather cosy community and I found some of the characters (especially Colin) were rather cliched. Still, it was an enjoyable read.
Kristyh
Nov 13, 2011 Kristyh rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Definitely chick lit - but very high end chick lit. I really enjoyed it - a great story without too much corn (the near death bit where Ulreke met the boys in heaven was the only exception). Pauline McLynn has been a delightful discovery for me, this is my second and the last available from my library, I won't hesitate to spend money on the rest.
Lisa
Sep 08, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
Touching yet light hearted. I enjoyed the stories of the different people who lived in the close and although completely contrived their interaction was enjoyable. This book worked really well on audio as I loved the different accents.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Dec 22, 2009 Shelleyrae at Book'd Out rated it did not like it
I couldn't find a way into this book, I enjoyed other books by her but this one is just flat and difficult
Kman999
Jul 04, 2010 Kman999 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Started off well, reasonable set-ups, but failed to sufficiently develop the many stories and took too many lazy/easy options.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Gemsy
Gemsy rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2014
Sue Gray
Sue Gray rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Catherine
Sep 01, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it
Mrs. Doyle clearly has many talents!
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Alice Linley-Munro
Alice Linley-Munro rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Rosa Debalsi
Rosa Debalsi rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Lucy Ends
Lucy Ends rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Ipswichblade
Ipswichblade rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2010
Laura Henry
Laura Henry rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Xavier Zhapan
Xavier Zhapan rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Reenie
Reenie rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2012
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
May 09, 2008
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Heidi Murphy
Heidi Murphy rated it really liked it
May 05, 2011
Siobhan Rainsford
Siobhan Rainsford rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2015
Katie Cowan
Katie Cowan rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2014
Peter Reynolds
Peter Reynolds rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2013
Roisin
Roisin rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2012
Lina
Lina rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2011
Nicky
Nicky rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2009
Rebecca Leahy
Rebecca Leahy rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Cindy Vande Weghe
Cindy Vande Weghe rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pauline McLynn (born 11 July 1962) is an Irish actress, comedienne and author, best known for playing Mrs Doyle on the Channel 4 sitcom Father Ted. McLynn was born in Sligo but grew up in Galway. She studied History of Art and Modern English at Trinity College, Dublin. She was heavily involved in Trinity's Dublin University Players (college drama society). She is married to the producer and agent ...more
More about Pauline McLynn...