Summer In The City

Summer In The City

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Lucy White can’t quite believe what’s happened to her happy, ordinary life. Ending up homeless – not to mention husbandless – has come as an almighty shock. All she wants to do is lie low for a while, but when she arrives in a quiet street in South London she’s in for a surprise.

The residents of Farewell Square are anything but quiet. There’s a housewife with a secret that...more
Paperback
Published July 3rd 2006 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about Summer In The City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer In The City

Claire
It's a page turner but left me wondering was it worth it when I turned to the final page. The characters lacked depth thus making them difficult to engage with. The plots were interesting but the connection between the subplots seemed forced. The story lacked reality but didn't quite leap into the realms of completely unrealistic, fluffy chicklit in which reality does not matter. An ok read, good to pass the time especially during times of stress or exhaustion! Switch off brain and read happily...more
Wilkie Martin
I found the number of characters introduced at the start meant that it was difficult to work out who was who, what was happening and why i should be interested in them. However, I persisted and it began to make sense and I enjoyed it. It is set, perhaps, in a not very believable and rather cosy community and I found some of the characters (especially Colin) were rather cliched. Still, it was an enjoyable read.
Kristyh
Definitely chick lit - but very high end chick lit. I really enjoyed it - a great story without too much corn (the near death bit where Ulreke met the boys in heaven was the only exception). Pauline McLynn has been a delightful discovery for me, this is my second and the last available from my library, I won't hesitate to spend money on the rest.
Lisa
Touching yet light hearted. I enjoyed the stories of the different people who lived in the close and although completely contrived their interaction was enjoyable. This book worked really well on audio as I loved the different accents.
Kman999
Started off well, reasonable set-ups, but failed to sufficiently develop the many stories and took too many lazy/easy options.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I couldn't find a way into this book, I enjoyed other books by her but this one is just flat and difficult
Catherine
Mrs. Doyle clearly has many talents!
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Power
Power added it
Jun 30, 2014
Helen Ashcroft-Turner
Helen Ashcroft-Turner marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Hajira
Hajira marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Tina Chase
Tina Chase marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Iain
Iain added it
Jan 26, 2014
Edita Titan
Edita Titan marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
Jan 02, 2014
Nicola
Nicola added it
Oct 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pauline McLynn (born 11 July 1962) is an Irish actress, comedienne and author, best known for playing Mrs Doyle on the Channel 4 sitcom Father Ted. McLynn was born in Sligo but grew up in Galway. She studied History of Art and Modern English at Trinity College, Dublin. She was heavily involved in Trinity's Dublin University Players (college drama society). She is married to the producer and agent...more
More about Pauline McLynn...
The Woman On The Bus Something For The Weekend Missing You Already Better Than A Rest Right On Time