Start by marking “Remotely Controlled: How Television is Damaging Our Lives” as Want to Read:
Remotely Controlled: How Television is Damaging Our Lives

Remotely Controlled: How Television is Damaging Our Lives

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A startling exposé of Britain's growing addiction to television and why and what should be done tostop it, the author looks at the statistics that show television has become an obsession even more influential than parents inside the household.In this insightful and shockingly perceptive assessment of the relationship with the small screen, the author reveals the alarming r ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Ebury Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Remotely Controlled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remotely Controlled

Amanda Patterson
Aug 13, 2011 Amanda Patterson rated it really liked it
Ever wondered why your child has ADD? Do you care enough to want to fix it? Read this. Then prise your child away from the television set, the sony playstation ,the ipod, the internet or whatever other mechanical device he's plugged into and make him read a real book.Take him into the garden. Play scrabble with him. Talk to him. Listen to him.
Alleydancer07
Dr Sigman makes excellent points in this book and he writes fluidly; however toward the end I found his sense of superiority tended to undermine what he was trying to convey. His pretentious manner of writing - and although I agree with most of his sentiments - were a turn-off with this book. The content is fantastic, though the delivery of his research tends to border on the obnoxious. Worth reading if one can swallow the snobbery.
T
Mar 10, 2015 T rated it it was amazing
The truth is clear. TV will Kill you.

Television:

*Slows the body's metabolic rate.

*Stunts the development of children's brains.

*Increases the likelihood of children developing ADHD

*Is a leading cause of half of ALL violence related crimes

*Lowers adult libido

*Is a major cause of depression

"In the end, perhaps, it won't be the hundreds of scientific studies that determine how you think of your television set. So this question, inspired by White Dot, might help: if you were on your deathbed and
David Steele
Well referenced case against the evil telly.
James Perkins
Feb 05, 2012 James Perkins rated it it was amazing
Television has long borne the nickname "idiot box", and here's the scientific evidence that shows the truth of that moniker. Dr Sigman cites study after study that demonstrates how damaging television is to the developing brains of children, not just from the inanity of what it shows them, but also actually stunting its physical growth in key areas needed for intellectual ability and emotional control: quite literally making them stupid. Then for teenagers and adults, it reduces attention span, ...more
Rheadieuk
Feb 17, 2013 Rheadieuk rated it did not like it
While I find the premise of the book interesting, the main problem that I have with Remotely Controlled is that it it simply unbalanced. Dr Sigman has clearly done his research but the issue is that he has cherry picked what he has found and then if it doesn't slip into the overal narrative of his book, he will heavily insinuate that it is the case anyway.

Take for example the possible effects that television has had when it comes to globalisation, in particular its role with body image in asia.
Julian Hadlow
Feb 18, 2014 Julian Hadlow rated it really liked it
If you really do want to know how TV influences you, then this is the book.
Eve K
Dec 20, 2015 Eve K rated it it was amazing
fascinating, brilliantly written, changed my life for the better.
Mark Wilson
Whilst I didn't agree with everything this book was saying, I can honestly say that it will make me think twice before settling down in front of the television. This book will not take you long to read, and is backs up the claims with plenty of peer reviewed journal articles. It is very thought provoking and I believe everybody would benefit from reading - especially those with children. I think very few of us realise the damaging and eroding effect that this medium has on our lives.
Jordan
Apr 08, 2008 Jordan rated it really liked it
I loved this book not so much for its writing, or for its loose facts, or for its faulty assumptions or gutter science. I loved this book simply because no matter how faulty the means by which the author came to his conclusion, he is nonetheless correct-- TV is devil.
Daniel Little
Daniel Little rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Asmith
Asmith rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Mare
Mare marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
GT
GT marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Lucy Leakey
Lucy Leakey rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Usm
Usm marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Reham
Reham marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Javier Trizon
Javier Trizon marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
julian
julian marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
نهى خالد
نهى خالد marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
REA
REA marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Sharon4
Sharon4 rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Saira
Saira marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Jay S
Jay S added it
Oct 13, 2015
Jaime Lypowy
Jaime Lypowy marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015