Start by marking “Remotely Controlled: How Television is Damaging Our Lives” as Want to Read:
Remotely Controlled: How Television is Damaging Our Lives

Remotely Controlled: How Television is Damaging Our Lives

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A startling exposé of Britain's growing addiction to television and why and what should be done tostop it, the author looks at the statistics that show television has become an obsession even more influential than parents inside the household.In this insightful and shockingly perceptive assessment of the relationship with the small screen, the author reveals the alarming r ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Ebury Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Remotely Controlled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remotely Controlled

Alleydancer07
Dr Sigman makes excellent points in this book and he writes fluidly; however toward the end I found his sense of superiority tended to undermine what he was trying to convey. His pretentious manner of writing - and although I agree with most of his sentiments - were a turn-off with this book. The content is fantastic, though the delivery of his research tends to border on the obnoxious. Worth reading if one can swallow the snobbery.
Amanda Patterson
Ever wondered why your child has ADD? Do you care enough to want to fix it? Read this. Then prise your child away from the television set, the sony playstation ,the ipod, the internet or whatever other mechanical device he's plugged into and make him read a real book.Take him into the garden. Play scrabble with him. Talk to him. Listen to him.
David Steele
Well referenced case against the evil telly.
James Perkins
Television has long borne the nickname "idiot box", and here's the scientific evidence that shows the truth of that moniker. Dr Sigman cites study after study that demonstrates how damaging television is to the developing brains of children, not just from the inanity of what it shows them, but also actually stunting its physical growth in key areas needed for intellectual ability and emotional control: quite literally making them stupid. Then for teenagers and adults, it reduces attention span, ...more
Rheadieuk
While I find the premise of the book interesting, the main problem that I have with Remotely Controlled is that it it simply unbalanced. Dr Sigman has clearly done his research but the issue is that he has cherry picked what he has found and then if it doesn't slip into the overal narrative of his book, he will heavily insinuate that it is the case anyway.

Take for example the possible effects that television has had when it comes to globalisation, in particular its role with body image in asia.
Julian Hadlow
If you really do want to know how TV influences you, then this is the book.
Mark Wilson
Whilst I didn't agree with everything this book was saying, I can honestly say that it will make me think twice before settling down in front of the television. This book will not take you long to read, and is backs up the claims with plenty of peer reviewed journal articles. It is very thought provoking and I believe everybody would benefit from reading - especially those with children. I think very few of us realise the damaging and eroding effect that this medium has on our lives.
Jordan
I loved this book not so much for its writing, or for its loose facts, or for its faulty assumptions or gutter science. I loved this book simply because no matter how faulty the means by which the author came to his conclusion, he is nonetheless correct-- TV is devil.
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Christopher Alexander
Christopher Alexander marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Meriam Saeed
Meriam Saeed marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Makeda Yohannes
Makeda Yohannes marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Shiraz Esat
Shiraz Esat marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Msid
Msid marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Ian Yorston
Ian Yorston marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Daniel Ramos
Daniel Ramos marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Spoilt Generation: Why Restoring Authority Will Make Our Children and Society Happier. Aric Sigman Alcohol Nation: How to Protect Our Children from Today's Drinking Culture The Body Wars New, Improved Ease Your Fear of Flying