Start by marking “Divided (Darkest Powers, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Divided (Darkest Powers, #1.5)

Divided (Darkest Powers #1.5)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,449 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
This novella is no longer published online but can be found in Darkest Powers Bonus Pack 1

"..the story filled in exactly the portion from where Derek left Chloe to when he found her again."
Published August 13th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Divided, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divided

Joy (joyous reads)
Apr 21, 2011 Joy (joyous reads) rated it it was amazing
I'm always happy to read anything about this series.
Jenn
Apr 15, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Derek, Simon, Chloe and Rae may have escaped Lyle House but when they’re separated at the factory yard they realize they’re not out of danger just yet. Derek and Simon manage to escape, but when they arrive to meet Chloe at the rendezvous point she’s not there. Will they be able to find Chloe before it’s too late?

This is a first person short story told from Derek’s point of view which allows us to relive the warehouse scene through his eyes. The actions of the initial scene are almost identical
Arianna
Dec 17, 2015 Arianna rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormals
The beginning started off in an interesting way, after a big event, (view spoiler) It was cool to show a different version of what happened by having it in one of the boys' perspectives. Instead of having it in the point of a nice girl like Chloe, this time it is written in the perspective of a tough and calculating guy like Derek. The total opposite to Chloe, where Chloe is sweet and wears her heart on her sleeve while Derek is ...more
Page
Jun 21, 2012 Page rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one! It was good to get into Derek's head again AND really, really see that there's more than meets the eye. I like that in this one, he seems to have had a bit of the "load" lightened. As the story progresses, he becomes more and more of an entire person.

I think this story really humanizes Derek. I like to see his jealousy toward the relationship that Simon and Chloe had. It's never good when friends fight over a girl, but they don't really fight about it which was also nic
Koorihime-sama
Oct 12, 2011 Koorihime-sama rated it it was amazing
Shelves: was-a-free-read
READ ONLINE WHILE IT WAS STILL FREE.

Review/Rating:

5 out of 5

Derek and Simon are separated from Rae and Chloe, but what kind of troubles do they have while separated from the girls? You’ll find out in this short story.

The plot basically belongs between books one and two of the series. It is between on Chapter 44 of The Summoning and Chapter 16 of The Awakening. Despite going into The Awakening, I suggest reading it before you read The Awakening, that way, you won’t really forget anything.

Anyways,
Jamie
May 16, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kelley Armstrong fans
This short story is one of Armstrong's free online fiction. This particular story starts on this blog here. It is written through six blog posts starting with the title: Divided.

I gave this short story four stars because it is good for what it is. The story describes what Simon and Derek did while Chloe was caught and stuck at her second place of imprisonment. This takes place after book one and during the beginning of book two of the Darkest Powers Trilogy.

This is the second installment I've re
Pottermnm Montse
May 15, 2016 Pottermnm Montse rated it it was amazing
I like this one a little better cause it gives you Dereks impressions on Chloe, and what he thought about her as she arrives. It was nice...interesting ...
Asma
Apr 23, 2011 Asma rated it really liked it
The I'll-use-you Derek ...
Yukiraking
Feb 23, 2013 Yukiraking rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-on-kobo
I really enjoyed this little companion as well, though this one could not stand on its own at all. With Dangerous, I felt it was like a short prequel to the series, where I could have read that first, and then dove into Chloe's books, but with Divided I really would have needed to read the first book at the very least, and maybe the first bit of the second, to really understand what it was that the two boys were doing.

That being said, the action scene at the beginning, and the way it mirrors the
Trisha
Feb 05, 2014 Trisha rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I think this clearly cinches up exactly what I think of both boys

Simon....and Derek. Derek is a survivor - through and through. He's making sure they have things, getting backpacks, knowing the best way to hide, and making sure everyone is safe. He's a protector.

Simon......well, he takes a lot of Derek's advice...and he...well, he what? chases girls. No, not anymore - he chases Chloe.

And Chloe is pretty sweet and she's a survivor. She's handled some pretty crazy things AND she can ta
Amanda
Feb 09, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This starts where the first book left off and tells what happened in between the time that Chloe left and Derek and Simon were trying to reunite with her.

This book shows exactly why Derek is my favorite character. He is a protector, he does everything it takes to help and take care of those he cares about. His whole plan was to get Simon and Chloe to escape Lyle House, he never had the intention to leave until Chloe pretty much forced Derek to leave with them.

I loved reading
Daniela Filippini
Mar 21, 2014 Daniela Filippini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
I think Derek's the most interesting character of the series and it's great to get to see things from his point of view and really get to know why he acts the way he does. It's pretty obvious he has feelings for Chloe and he's fighting against those feelings without even knowing. I love the way he looks out for the people he cares about. I'm really hooked with this series, it's so interesting and can't wait to read the next book.
Patty
Aug 29, 2012 Patty rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE Derek! Love reading his POV. It was good to read what happened to Derek and Simon after they split with Rae and Chloe. I was worried about them at the end of book 1.

Oh my... there does seem to be a love triangle developing... Ugh. Let's see how this plays out in book 2. I think Derek is sweet in his own, weird, way :) Reminds me of Beauty and the Beast. I know this story overlaps with the beginning of book 2. Can't wait to get started on it.
Halcyon
Jul 31, 2014 Halcyon rated it did not like it
I have very little to say about this novella. First, because it's a novella and therefore it's short, and I'm not usually fond of novellas. Second, because it seemed a little pointless to me - I mean, why does it matter what Derek and Simon did while Chloe was gone? Nothing happened.

But what really annoyed me was that I felt like the author was trying too hard to explain Derek's thoughts and behaviour, which was really annoying.
Cecilia
Dec 25, 2014 Cecilia rated it liked it

En novell som utspelar sig mellan The Summoning och The Awakening från Dereks PoV. Inga större överraskningar i handlingen, men jag gillade att läsa från hans syn. Armstrong är verkligen duktigt på att skildra olika relationer och känslor!

Read my whole review at Book Obsession
M.A. Nichols
Jan 26, 2016 M.A. Nichols rated it liked it
This is another short story in the Darkest Powers series and it was okay. It shows what happens between the 1st and 2nd book from Derek's perspective, which I enjoy because I like seeing more of him and his POV, but the story itself was only okay. And it's not a novella. It's a scene that wouldn't fit in the novel, because the novel was written in 1st person POV. Kind of interesting, but mostly pointless.
G
Mar 14, 2013 G rated it it was amazing
Lovely, amazing, ugh.

Reading about the start, kind of seeing that sparkle was just amazing. I loved everything about all the interactions and I wanted to scream and laugh and just reread the actual trilogy. My favorite part was obviously the ending, but oh well. Everything was fierce. A+, really.
Miranda Lynn
Such a cute story! Loved getting to see this part of the story from Derek's perspective. After reading The Awakening, I was kind of wondering what had happened with him and Simon between the first and second books. I really liked getting to see his reactions to Simon's and Chloe's relationship, too. It sort of put in perspective where his feelings were for her at the time.
Natalia
May 19, 2011 Natalia rated it it was amazing
i loved this book (story? Short story? whatever) just as much as the real series! I really reall REALLY wanted to have a book in derek's POV and this made my day! loved loved LOVED it! (also loved how derek got jealous at some points... he's just so cute!! in a totally non-little-boy way, of course...)

Kelley, you are freaking amazing! would it be too selfish to ask for more?
Teresa
This one is about when Derek and Simon got separated from Chloe and Rae at the end of The Summoning and beginning of The Awakening.

I always love reading things from Derek's point of view and getting a glimpse inside his head. Because what he projects is so not whats going on inside. His thought processes are adorable.
Giota Bourha
It's always a pleasure reading from Derek's point of view! He sees things in such a unique way!

However, this particular short story didn't hold any new information, it was a bit repetitive and the summation of previous events was done too clumsily.
Louisa
Mar 27, 2014 Louisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
Oh, great short story of what Simon and Derek did while they were separated from Chloe. Very great!

*First read January 1st, 2011*
Great to see parts of the book that wasn't in the book, before the book, during the book that wasn't there :) Yep :)
Hannah
Jul 13, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I really enjoyed this short story, so glad to know what happened with Derek and Simon after the spilt up at the end of the summoning. I love Derek totally rooting for him since its so obvious he has feelings for Chloe!. Now on to book #2
Robert Dufalo
Nov 12, 2013 Robert Dufalo rated it liked it
It was a good filler for those that wanted more stories of Chloe and crew. I really hope she goes back and adds more to this world. I'd still like to see her match up more of the older crew with them.
Tricia
Divided (set between The Summoning and The Awakening) Derek and Simon’s adventures while separated from Chloe and Rae in the factory. Also told from Derek’s point of view.
Sandra
Free on: http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/free-o...

Short about Derek and Simon from The Awakening, Darkest Powers series.
Tammy Kesteloot
Oct 24, 2014 Tammy Kesteloot rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This Novella takes place just before the ending of Book 1, The Summoning. It was nice to know what was going on with the boys when they weren't with Chloe.
Michaela
Feb 20, 2013 Michaela rated it it was amazing
Once again, another great short-story by Kelley Armstrong. I enjoyed reading about Derek and Simon while they waited for the girls, and Derek's worries for Chloe. So cute.
Kelly
May 08, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I love the Derek POV stories like WHOA. So, this hit the spot.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Lauren
Derek was an interesting character, I thought his thought process was pretty cute. Not sensational overwhelmed with this short story but it was not too bad.
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Queen of Atlantis
  • The Bitten Word
  • By Blood We Live
  • Modern Magic: Tales of Fantasy and Horror
  • Daire Meets Ever (Soul Seekers, #0.5)
  • Shadow Days (Nightshade #0.5; Nightshade World #3.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Cabel's Story (Wake, #1.1)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Never to Sleep (Soul Screamers, #5.5)
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Darkest Powers (3 books)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)