Start by marking “The Creator's Map” as Want to Read:
The Creator's Map

The Creator's Map

2.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Set in Rome during the tumultuous period of the 1930s and 1940s, this novel recreats the dark intrigue, romantic entanglements and divided loyalties of a war-torn Europe. An exiled Spanish architect, a beautiful young librarian and an elegant Fascist prince are caught up in a plot involving a map which could destroy them all.
Published April 3rd 2008 by John Murray (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Creator's Map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Creator's Map

Macee
Feb 02, 2009 Macee rated it it was ok
This book is billed as a sort of Da Vinci code in the time of Fascism and the Spanish Civil War. In fact, that part of the plot occupies very little real estate. The book is more about the historical aspects of the time period -- fine for me since I am interested in that period of history, but not so good for someone interested in a literary thriller a la Dan Brown or Perez-Reverte (who in my opinion does it so much better!). I kept feeling like the translation was leaving something out -- I don ...more
Jen Matthews
I didn't think this book was that great. The story, while interesting, never fully developed and the characters all seemed not well developed either.
Conta-me Histórias
Terminei de ler este livro no início da semana, mas só hoje escrevo sobre ele, devido à falta de tempo que caracterizou os meus últimos cinco dias de trabalho.

Este livro é uma história de amor, de espionagem, de ideais e de coragem. Tudo tem início e gira em torno de um livro que José Maria e Montse vendem, inserido num lote maior. Mas quando os dois jovens se decidem a vender alguns livros para garantir a sobrevivência de todos os que se encontram na Academia Espanhola de Belas-Artes, não sabia
Jul 28, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
The Creator's Map by Emilio Calderon (Hardback, July 2008)

The writing in Caleron's historical novel captivates and enchants. The Creator's Map is filled with images and names evocative of another time, Rome in the Fascist Era of Hitler, Franco and Mussolini, rich in intellectual and philopsophical ideas, and rife with the exigencies and vagaries of world politics. Calderon wraps these timeless details around a complex romantic web.

Through the eyes of a Spanish architect in Rome, the dark period
M M
Apr 26, 2013 M M rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is set in the emigre Spanish community in 1930s Italy. Although Spain is riven with sectarian strife, the snooty expatriates are all Nationalists, and would like nothing better to ally themselves both with Mussolini's Fascists, and the nascent Nazis who are going from strength to strength. This is a somewhat laboured spy novel with all the simplifications and generalisations attendant upon a conspiracy to take over the world. Calderon, however, seems to be pitching it as a sort of Indi ...more
Shonna Froebel
I just finished listening to this entrancing novel in the car today. It is set in Rome beginning in 1937 and taking us through the Second World War. As it begins, a group of Spaniards have banded together to wait out the Spanish Civil War. The narrator, José María has remained neutral to the war. With no family remaining, he concentrates on his new career as an architect. It is only when the beautiful young Spaniard Montse involves him in her intrigues that he becomes involved in things. The two ...more
Surreysmum
A spy thriller set in World War II, of a slightly different cast, since our narrator-protagonist (a Spaniard living in Rome) is clueless, or, more precisely, cannot make sense of what clues he gets. His girlfriend/wife, Montse, and his rival, Junio, are in possession of rather more pieces of the puzzle, but neither Jose Maria nor we can be fully certain of who was working for whom until the last, revelatory letter after Junio's death. I won't make spoilers, but the Creator's Map of the title is ...more
Debbie
Sep 28, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting "a feverish triangle of love and intrigue" and felt cheated when I finished this book. Characters seemed poorly developed- I never developed empathy for them throughout the entire novel. What I did enjoy with this read was learning some history about Italy and Spain during WWII. At times, it seemed like I was reading a history book though because Calderon never quite blended the story with the historical info in a seamless way. Reading this story was like reading two genres in on ...more
Lisa
Feb 21, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok
I looked forward to reading this book because its reviews had compared it to mystery/thrillers that I had devoured, like The Shadow of the Wind and books by Arturo Perez Reverte. However, it took me a long time to read the whole book because I kept falling asleep! I just was not able to get into the characters, the plot was slow to pick up, and I found the story a little flat. Still, I liked the details about the feelings of the Spaniards who were living away from Spain during the Spanish Civil ...more
Jenn Scranton
Oct 01, 2012 Jenn Scranton rated it really liked it
I must say this story was intense and the book was short, great for a weekend read. A book of love and loyalty to one's country. HOWEVER, it is horribly written. The author would have been better off selling his idea than writing it himself. At times, it gets pretty hung up on architectural descriptions and you just want them to get on with it all ready! But in the end it really was a good story and made up for the poor writing...

By the way! DO NOT BUY ONLINE!!! I actually bought this book in a
Ana
Jul 22, 2014 Ana rated it it was ok
Meh!
Potencial para ser um bom livro mas fico sempre com a sensação que a falta algo que não está bem desenvolvido na história.
Liviu
Nov 05, 2008 Liviu rated it did not like it
This book has great reviews and when I started reading it seemed like a joke that I did not get. And it does not get better. I do not know if it's the translation or the original, but it's such a juvenile book with moron characters that I could not believe the reviews it got. Big waste of time.

A lovestruck mentally challenged architect, an early 20's girl that acts 15, an Italian fascist prince that struts like a comic opera villain, secret spies out of comedy and a mystical map. So bad that e
Stef
Feb 28, 2009 Stef rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2009
To be honest, I really don't know why this book is called THE CREATOR'S MAP ( DIE KARTE GOTTES ). The map is mentioned but only at the beginning and at the end. the book is about two young people who work as a spy in Rome during the Mussullini time. It is a nice book, interesting story and characters and one learns a lot about life during that time but it just isn't what the cover promised. Therefore only three stars
Kyra
Jun 09, 2013 Kyra rated it liked it
I wish there were incremental ratings, because I would have given this a 3.5.

I actually liked this book a lot, and learned a lot about history while I read it. It's very setting-focused and history-focused, but the plot is very compelling. There were parts that were a little gory, but hey, war is war. It isn't an easy read, but I thought it was worth it.
Ginnie Leiner
Aug 21, 2009 Ginnie Leiner rated it it was amazing
Finished this book last night. A very good look at Rome during WWII. I love reading books that take place in cities I am familiar with. Reading about the characters on the Giancolo or in St. Cecelia's brings back pleasant memories of my times in Rome. Ultimately a book about betrayal, a memorable story.
Sara
Jun 13, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
This book never managed to capture my whole interest. There were several references made to places or people that were never fully explained, for example the Tiber River. I do not believe I was able to follow the plot and appreciate it fully. I think that is due to la k of personal effort though
Diane
Apr 05, 2012 Diane rated it liked it
Set during World War II, this mystery/adventure novel follows a group of Spaniards in Rome who are seeking a map, said to have been drawn by God Himself, that shows the secrets of power in the universe. Unfortunately, the plot was plodding and the characters were relatively unappealing.
Ann
Sep 04, 2010 Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The best part of the book was that it was set in Rome and gave some great descriptions. The plot was far-fetched and some of the characters did things that were out-of-character. My copy is in the 'garage sale' pile. (although if anyone wants to, they are welcome to it!)
Sybele
Jun 21, 2014 Sybele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not about Creator's map as an artifact it is about the world created by mankind. At least I as I was trying to find a deeper meaning in it. For me it gives an interesting insight in life in Italia during the second world war. Full stop.
Witch'sCat
Nov 11, 2012 Witch'sCat rated it really liked it
I reaaaally liked this book. Though I have never been that much into WW2 themes, it was really interesting to read! Wonderful web of background stories going on...at the end I really was fascinated, but sad at the same time :/
Jessica
Sep 22, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italy, world-war-ii, spy
Calderon's style is enchanting and the twists are solid, but the overall pacing just seems off and the characters a little wooden. Not sure if it's remnants of less-than-ideal translation or if it's similar in the original.
Peter
Jan 13, 2009 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, religion
A Spanish novel in the secrets of the Vatican wrapped up in the Spanish Civil War genre...I suspect I just created that genre. If you like Rome, Mysteries of the Vatican and espionage, this book is worth a read.
Louise
Jul 13, 2013 Louise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An easy read. A little silly, with all the nazi occult/ holy grail type stuff, and the narrator is rather unsympathetic to me. It wants to be a literary Da Vinci code I think.
Mary
Jan 25, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
Not really my kind of book, but since it's being read to me when I'm in the car, I'm stickin' with it. Interested in Italian history during WWII? This may be a good read for you.
Neme
Apr 23, 2013 Neme rated it liked it
Aj nije tako lose, opis rimske arhitekture, nesto zanimljivih detaljica... Ali neka kvazi ljubavna prica tipa koji je papcina... Moglo je to puno bolje.
Tom
Aug 29, 2009 Tom rated it really liked it
Interesting to read someone's take on life in Rome during the Spanish Civil War and WWII, something I knew nothing about.
Susan
Sep 21, 2008 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely a quick read with some interesting facts but still left me waiting for the really great story to unfold.
Julia Elise
A good read, which could have been great, but unfortunately too much was lost in the translation.
Erin X.
Sensitive writing and intricate read.
A book should be on the " to read next" list.
Steffi
Aug 25, 2012 Steffi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
read until 165 but its was totally boring. nothig exciting happening at all
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Die Principessa
  • Os Malaquias
  • El invierno en Lisboa
  • Ten Questions Science Can't Answer (Yet!): A Guide to Science's Greatest Mysteries
  • Novos Contos da Montanha