Start by marking “Ransom Seaborn” as Want to Read:
Ransom Seaborn

Ransom Seaborn

It's Dan Finbar's freshman year and he's struggling to find his proper place in Harrison College. When he finally breaks through into the world of notorious loner Ransom Seaborn, their friendship is brutally cut short, leaving Finbar with nothing but Ransom's old leather journal and his sometime girlfriend Maggie. As Finbar and Maggie investigate the journal - and Ransom's ...more
Published January 26th 2011 by Velluminous Press (first published August 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Ransom Seaborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ransom Seaborn

Hugh McBride
May 17, 2011 Hugh McBride rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever felt like an outsider, fallen in love, and/or struggled to make a real connection with another human being, you will find much to identify with RANSOM SEABORN. If you've done any of the activities described in the previous sentence while attending a religiously oppressive small college in Western Pennsylvania, you'll find much more to appreciate in this fine first novel by acclaimed singer/songwriter Bill Deasy.

RANSOM SEABORN follows Dan Finbar from his confusing first days of co
Bill
May 27, 2013 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Bill Deasy the musician/singer/songwriter, I have known about this book (and its 2 later follow-ups) for some time. It wasn't until recently that I took the opportunity to buy a copy and add it to my list.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from it.
Those familiar with Deasy's music career will likely have more of an appreciation for locale references and a couple of character names.
The story is...odd. Ultimately, I would characterize it as a "love story," but the backdrop, the entangl
Craig Williams
Feb 11, 2012 Craig Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a coming of age tale that will really speak to those going to college for the first time and those getting ready to graduate. If you grew up or are from the Western Pennsylvania region, then it will mean even more to you. Deasy creates characters that seem immensely real and you really start to care about them. I had to read this for a class and after we were finished reading, Deasy came in to speak with us about the book and all I can say is he is a genuinely good, creative person. The ...more
Rich
Feb 16, 2015 Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a while ago but I just saw Bill Deasy yesterday performing with The Gathering Field which reminded me of this. I will not get into details as my memory has faded as to the specifics of what I enjoyed. I do clearly recall how much I enjoyed the story of Dan Finbar and his journeys through college and relationships both male and female. It was a meaningful and well-written coming-of-age story with the added challenges that Finbar encountered. Highly recommended. I look forward to readi ...more
Dianne
Mar 25, 2013 Dianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At only 190 pages, this is a quick read. Difficult themes of suicide/grief/guilt, with a not so happy ending. Good story that held my interest and made me care about the outcome of *some* of the characters. Marginal characters fell a bit flat. I love when the characters stick with you after you've finished the story, and you continue to think and care about them, so much that you're not quite ready to start a new story!
Lynn
May 02, 2008 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
WOW! Ransom Seaborn was a quick read and I really could not put it down once I started. Unfortunately I did not start this book until nearly midnight but it was certainly worth staying up to finish.

The book has plenty of dark moments, but does not leave you feeling depressed. Early into the book I knew it was Ransom Seaborn was destined to be one of my favorites.

Anjie Brown
Jun 03, 2008 Anjie Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I wasn't sure if Bill would be able to make the transition from writing songs to writing a book. Not only did he make the transition, he did it amazingly well. I loved this book. It's very Hemingway/Salinger-esque. I sincerely hope he writes more. I found it to be very spiritually moving...just like his music.
Christine
Jul 04, 2007 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by my uncle and is loosely based on his life growing up and his experiences in college. I found it really interesting because I felt connected to my uncle after reading this book...and I realized that his college adventures were a lot like mine. Good book.
Valerie
Mar 11, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pittsburgh's wonderful singer-songwriter Bill Deasy tried his hand at writing a novel, and did a pretty decent job for his first effort. While some things are predictable and some plot points could have been expanded, nonetheless it was an enjoyable read and a heartwarming story.
Mark Johnson
May 21, 2010 Mark Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are familiar with the band The Gathering Field or Bill Deasy's music you won't be suprised to know he is a great author. I enjoyed this story and look forward to his next novel.
Nicole Lawson
Feb 02, 2012 Nicole Lawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that you run into that will leave something inside you that you will continue to look back on. It isn't an easy ride, let me tell you, but it was well worth it.
Feb 14, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to read this one again ... first time was iffy
Leann
Leann rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Avidreader
Avidreader rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Caroline Manley
Caroline Manley rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2015
Emily Thayer
Emily Thayer rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2010
Beth Spence
Beth Spence rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2013
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Linzey Billy
Linzey Billy rated it liked it
May 22, 2013
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Christy Kleinhans
Christy Kleinhans rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Rachel Heckman
Rachel Heckman rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2013
Jay Wiley
Jay Wiley rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2016
Karen Shernit
Karen Shernit rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2013
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2015
RabidAnt
RabidAnt rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2014
Andi
Andi rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013