Start by marking “Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership” as Want to Read:
Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership

Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership

New managers must learn how to lead others rather than do the work themselves, to win trust and respect, to motivate, and to strike the right balance between delegation and control. It is a transition many fail to make. This book traces the experiences of nineteen new managers over the course of their first year in a managerial capacity. Reveals the complexity of the trans ...more
Published April 25th 2003 by Harvard Business School Press (first published January 31st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming a Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming a Manager

Mike
May 12, 2017 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking and detailed, was actually a little TOO dense with anecdotes otherwise I'd have five starred it no problem. Found myself wanting to skip later chapters but there was something valuable on every page!
Jill
Becoming a Manager is an insightful read into what it really means to manage. Here, Hill highlights the misconceptions that many new managers have. Tracking the progress of several newly appointed managers in various companies, Hill distills the insights and lessons they glean as to what management actually entails.

For instance, a new manager might think that with the new role comes greater power, authority and autonomy. In reality, being a manager makes you more dependent on others - you now d
Bob Selden
This is the second edition of Becoming a Manager and although only three chapters have been added, their impact is considerable.

The original edition is based on interviews with 19 new managers and their thoughts on becoming a manager. As such, it was an interesting, but somewhat hard going (sentences and paragraphs are wordy), read. Although the 19 managers are all from customer service or sales, their stories translate well to other professions.

This latest edition adds chapters on Exercising
Marika
Jan 18, 2015 Marika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
It was difficult to read because it's such a comprehensive and deep research but with a qualitative approach that it took me several sittings to digest the content. Much like the managers in this study, it took me months to deeply appreciate and understand this book. What it did give me was the awareness that I'm not alone in my trials and errors.

This book is something I would really recommend for people who would like to take their development as managers seriously. However it is not an easy re
Johan Sulaiman
Contrary to prior reviews, I find this book a very easy read. The main reason is the immense amount of real-world quotations from the 19 managers being interviewed and tracked over the course of their first year being a manager. The book becomes an engaging account of the travails of these managers with insights to their inner fear and doubts. I find the book even more engaging than many novels!

It helps to put on the context hat while reading this. Get into the role of a first line manager or a
Michael Weening
I read this book when I first became a manager. Whenever someone comes into my office and says "I would like to be a manager" I ask them why and have they really thought about the transition? (Too many people want to become a manager because they think they "need" to as part of career progression).

It gives insight into what you are about to enter into and hopefully helps you bypass the most common of mistakes that I see happening with new managers every day.
Ned
Dec 13, 2016 Ned rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lessons learned from following 19 managers in their first year on the job. The book is full with practical examples and scenarios to either consider before becoming a manager or situations that you might face during being a manager. Overall good read for people who are considering going into management.
Eric
Sep 24, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Good book for up coming, new and experience managers who need the basic foundation of being a manager. I like the section on power and influence. It is very important to learn how to survive and be effective when you do not have alot of positional power and yet have to deliver results in a dynamic, challenging, global and changing economy.
Wendy
Nov 26, 2007 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manager-fu
A dense but rewarding book. Harvard professor Linda Hill studied 19 new managers in the first year of their managerial careers, and discovered some interesting things about how managers coped with the challenges of their new positions.

Recommended for anyone thinking about getting into management, new to management, or just interested in how management works.
Hisham Alamoudi
Nov 21, 2011 Hisham Alamoudi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book very useful for all new managers
Ana Seicarescu
Jul 27, 2011 Ana Seicarescu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A whole new perspective on what is expected of a new manager
Aleksandr
Aleksandr rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Paul M. Glen
Paul M. Glen rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
Justus
Justus rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2013
Ellenore
Ellenore rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Tom Purdom
Tom Purdom rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Gabe
Gabe rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Alin
Alin rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Keow
Keow rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Mihai Fecioru
Mihai Fecioru rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Andrea Jaramillo
Andrea Jaramillo rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2017
Robert Anderson
Robert Anderson rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Bridgette
Bridgette rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2009
Jeff Jacot
Jeff Jacot rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Chewppe
Chewppe rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
A
A rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Yan
Yan rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Anunes13hotmail.Com
Anunes13hotmail.Com rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2017
Quintessia
Quintessia rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Eureka!: 81 Key Ideas Explained
  • Asian Godfathers
  • The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired
  • Power and Influence
  • Rise: 3 Practical Steps for Advancing Your Career, Standing Out as a Leader, and Liking Your Life
  • From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership
  • Making Innovation Work: How to Manage It, Measure It, and Profit from It
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • Managing With Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations
  • Managing at the Speed of Change: How Resilient Managers Succeed and Prosper Where Others Fail
  • What Colour Is Your Parachute? 2008: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career Changers
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Nine Things Successful People Do Differently
  • Understanding Variation: The Key to Managing Chaos
  • Managing for Dummies
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • Adrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies: Understanding Patterns of Project Behavior

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Not only do managers need to develop the personal capacity to manage, but they also must be able to create a context in which others are willing to learn and change so their organizations can continually adapt and innovate.” 0 likes