Start by marking “A Southerly Course: Recipes and Stories from Close to Home” as Want to Read:
A Southerly Course: Recipes and Stories from Close to Home

A Southerly Course: Recipes and Stories from Close to Home

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the highly anticipated follow-up to herbestsellingScreen Doors & Sweet Tea,Martha Hall Foose shares recipes and storiesthat are even closer to her home and heart.

A Southerly Course delves deep into Mississippi Delta flavors and foodways, where Martha finds inspiration in local ingredients—from figs and sweet potatoes to crawfish and venison. In her signature style,
Published April 12th 2011 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Southerly Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Southerly Course

Denise
more great recipes. I love cook books that have stories that go with the recipes.
Deb Zdenek
I much preferred her first book, Screen Doors & Sweet Tea. This one just didn't click with me.
Don
Nice Cookbook. Lots of different dishes.

One of the problems I noticed is a number of ingredients are only available in the Southern US, and being in Northern Canada, well... No fresh Catfish up here.

Pickled Quail Eggs and Sausage?

But I'm still not going to try Frog Legs! No way - no how. And let's just say this is not one dish I'm apt to leap at.

Purple Sweet Potatoes! Sounds yummy. Too bad I can't get them or import the seed (due to Canada Customs rulings). Grrr...

Otherwise, an interest read.
Dee
Beautiful book full of traditional southern recipes and others with new and unusual ingredients. This book is worth reading simply for the story about Eudora Welty at its center and a recipe devised for her pleasure if she was still with us.

I'll be converting several of them to gluten and dairy free for my own good fun, and the blackberry cake will be my first birthday offering.

The photographs will take your breath away.
Anna
There were very few recipes in this book I would actually want to fix. Most were just ok or featured ingredients that I just can't get- like salsify or purple sweet potatoes. I am disappointed that the recipes in this book aren't more accessible, like the Southern hospitality this book is supposed to represent.
Scottsdale Public Library
A fantastic follow up to Ms. Foose's first book, this is a fun, fresh and delicious read. The stories are as entertaining as the recipes that they accompany, and the food is delicious and heart-warming. I highly recommend this book, especially for southern food enthusiasts.

-- Meagan
Wanda
I love to read cookbooks and this one was especially enjoyable. The stories and memories Foose tells with each recipe were delightful. The photography exquisite. Not truly a Southern cookbook but recipes that are part of a Southern lady's life.
A few great recipes in here, but also a ton that I would never make - so the book was slightly disappointing as a whole, but I am really excited about the handful of recipes I did get.
Bednarzterry
There were a few recipes I want to try, but I didn't like this as much as the first book by this author. Still worth checking out though.
ashley
Fantastic pictures and nice round collection of recipes. I plan to try out the Black and White Bean Salad soon.
Pretty with nice stories, but many recipes I would use.
Kiri
Kiri marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Ellie Kissel
Ellie Kissel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Dana Scott
Dana Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Erin H
Erin H marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Susan Hubbard
Susan Hubbard marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Amy Sjoquist
Amy Sjoquist marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Erica McGowan
Erica McGowan marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
  • Southern Biscuits
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Alice's Tea Cup: Delectable Recipes for Scones, Cakes, Sandwiches, and More from New York's Most Whimsical Tea Spot
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods
  • The Little Paris Kitchen
  • Frank Stitt's Southern Table: Recipes and Gracious Traditions from Highlands Bar and Grill
  • Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible: The New Classic Guide to Delicious Dishes with More Than 300 Recipes
  • A New Turn in the South: Southern Flavors Reinvented for Your Kitchen
  • Radically Simple: Brilliant Flavors with Breathtaking Ease: 325 Inspiring Recipes from Award-Winning Chef Rozanne Gold
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook