Start by marking “A Place Called Kindergarten” as Want to Read:
A Place Called Kindergarten

A Place Called Kindergarten

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Tommy has gone someplace called "kindergarten" and the animals are worried. What will happen to him there? Will he ever come back?

Winner of a NAPPA Gold Award (National Parenting Publications)

Published July 20th 2006 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about A Place Called Kindergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place Called Kindergarten

Carly Gates
This book is too cute. I would read this to a Pre-K class towards the second half of the year. I could stop in the middle of the book where all the animals ask what kindergarten is and what the little boy will do there. The children can then write down things they think they'll do in kindergarten. They can share their writings if they choose to, and then we could read on to see what the little boys says happened in kindergarten.
Sierra
I would personally say that this book is a bit deceiving when comparing it's title to the content and actual storyline. When looking at the cover I presumed that the book would include animals throughout the book, but by no means was I expecting the book to be all about farm animals wondering where their friend is all day. Nearly every page is filled with different animal sounds that get a little old saying over and over. Although towards the end the little boy does come back and the animals are ...more
Yesi
I really like this book. It is a great book to read to children who are getting ready to go to kindergarten. I read it to both of my kids and can imagine reading it to a group of preschool children. The boy lives on a farm and is going to a place called kindergarten. The farm animals do not know what kindergarten is, so when the boy comes home he tells them all the things that he learned while at kindergarten.
Ruhama
Tommy usually is down at the barn bright and early every morning, but this time he hasn’t come. All the animals get worried, especially when the dog comes by and states he’s gone on a big yellow bus. They wait and worry all day, until Tommy finally comes and reports how his day went. This is a cute story with the animals having anxiety, rather than the child. Tommy’s enthusiasm is adorable, though what he learned in one day feels a little stilted... Harper does add some fun with telling readers ...more
Naomi
A-DOR-ABLE! This book was just too cute. Farm animals have anxiety re: their pal, Tommy not visiting them. Why? Because Tommy has started kindergarten and can't wait to tell his four legged friends about it! Illustrations were great, but the storyline I just ate the storyline up.
Shawna Kopp
This a great book for the first day of Kindergarten. I liked it because it was a neat way to introduce to the students what kindergarten will be like. It shows the excitement of learning as well through the imagination of animals talking and wanting to know all about kindergarten. Kids will love this book.
Kelley Moore
Would be a good book to read on the first day of school or during the first month hen everyone is getting used to the while school thing.
Randie
Amazing! This is by far the best kindergarten book out there. The other books are all the same, but this one is special. Why? First of all, the point of view is the barn animals. Second, Tommy is clearly excited about his first day of kindergarten and there is no mention of being scared or nervous. (This is huge because some of the kindergarten books out there focus on the anxiety and may cause children to worry more). Thirdly, the repetition and animal chatter/singing adds humor and rhythm to t ...more
Amber Graves
This would be a good book to read to students in the first week of school. It talks about the alphabet and farm animals. When Tommy doesn't come to the animals at his normal time they start to wonder where he is. The dog tells them he went to Kindergarten. They worry all the while until Tommy gets off the school bus and tells the animals all about Kinderten.
Jessica
I enjoyed reading this book to my kindergartners and the kids loved helping me make the animal sounds! I really liked how the author had the animals talk in the book but at the same time explained that if you would have been listening it would have sounded like animal sounds.
Kelsi Bowman
This would be a good book to read to kindergarteners in the first week of school and then again the last week of school. It goes through the alphabet and relates to farm animals when their little friend does not come to visit them because he goes off to school.
Sharon Green
ages 4-6
transitional
read aloud
animal tale
education/school/reassuring to children going to kindergarten
onomatopoeia,assonance,rhyme,personification
farm animals concerned about Tommy going to kindergarten. Will he ever come back? fun
Elizabeth
Giggling happened and then he got all serious and said mom that's a weird song when I was doing the animal noises... LOL he cracks me up. Enjoyed!
Taylor Troncin
Wesley and I read this book today. He liked the animals a lot. He was also excited every time the word "kindergarten" appeared in the book.
Rebecca Dean
This is a good book to read on the first day of school. It is a great way to show the students how much they will have fun and learn.
Dolly
Sep 02, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
A fun story that describes a boy's first day of Kindergarten from the farm animals' perspective. Our girls really liked this book.
Jenny
Anna loves this book - especially since she goes to Kgarten this year. I love the animal's spin on where the little boy went.
Linda
Sep 11, 2009 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PreK - K
Ok, but it didn't convey enough about Kindergarten with pictures/story from the barnyard animals point of view.
Netanella
Very good book about farm animals who miss their little boy after he goes to his first day of kindergarten.
Miranda Gaboury
This is a really cute book that I am definitely going to use in my class one day!
Lea Anne
Lea Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Kristelle
Kristelle marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Rick
Rick added it
Aug 10, 2014
Sergiu Irina
Sergiu Irina marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Ltucker
Ltucker marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Uh-oh, Cleo Uh-oh, Cleo: Underpants on My Head Uh-oh Cleo: I Barfed on Mrs. Kenly The Crabby Cook Cookbook: Recipes and Rants Lizzy's Do's and Don'ts