Start by marking “The Sphinx Mystery: The Forgotten Origins of the Sanctuary of Anubis” as Want to Read:
The Sphinx Mystery: The Forgotten Origins of the Sanctuary of Anubis

The Sphinx Mystery: The Forgotten Origins of the Sanctuary of Anubis

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
"The true mysteries of the Sphinx, both hidden and forgotten, are brilliantly exposed in this compelling book by Robert and Olivia Temple. They have uncovered hard data revealing the manipulation and misinterpretation that dominate this area of Egyptology. Their use of solid evidence, textual and photographic, make their case unarguable." --Michael Baigent, coauthor of Hol ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Inner Traditions International

To ask other readers questions about The Sphinx Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sphinx Mystery

Elentarri
Jul 26, 2015 Elentarri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interesting in the Sphinx, Ancient Egypt.
The author might be highly opinionated and have a rather amusing writing style, but he has a very interesting hypothesis here that makes more sense than all those ancient alien and star matching claims. The book lacks "fruit-loopiness", so that is actually a bonus. The book is also stuffed full of sepia/black photographs and illustrations and has information that is new to me (also a bonus) - it isn't just a re-hash of other stuff.
Chris Corey
I gave this book two stars because he is a good writer. I wanted so badly to give the "story" one star. An example of problems I found throughout this entire book...
figure 1.40 and 1.41 on page 57 of his book are said to be pictures from the south, then his left leg. This may be true, but he is leadiing the reader to believe it is sand piling up from opposite directions. If fact they are reversed pictures. Look at the stone on the sphinx's chest!
So, from early on I felt the author is trying to
Greg
Jun 25, 2014 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epub
Through a series of evidences and arguments, complete with illustrations, photos, and other inserts, Temple (convincingly) leads the reader to a conclusion which, uncharacteristically of academic publications, is well summed up in a few paragraphs, perhaps two pages, revealing and solving the mystery of the Sphinx. Or, at least, it gives a very plausible explanation which is simple, elegant, and highly believable.

The book is incredibly interesting, if somewhat dry (it is, after all, academic), a
Sammy Sutton
Mar 12, 2011 Sammy Sutton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to supplement my previous research on the chambers below the Sphinx and the Pyramids at Giza. Robert Temple and his wife offer a wealth of information in this book. Much of their research found them translating documents referring to the chambers written prior to the 1700's in German and other European languages. It is an intensive study with a multitude of information by an author who is quite thorough and tedious.
Cara
This wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was an alright book, thus why I gave it two stars, also because I love Ancient Egypt, but I just had a hard time getting into the book. The captions on all of the pictures, and the pictures themselves, were very interesting, but repetitive.
Linda Cadose
May 11, 2012 Linda Cadose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating book one that explores the mystery of the oldest and largest statue in the world.
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
RoryFagan
RoryFagan marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Lucie Turns Pages
Lucie Turns Pages marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Jean Wetmore
Jean Wetmore marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Andreas Hüttel
Andreas Hüttel marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Marty
Marty rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2015
August Eriksen
August Eriksen marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Alexandria
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Mike Mitchell
Mike Mitchell marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Donna M
Donna M marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
James E. Hansen
James E. Hansen rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
Klyde
Klyde marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Ibrahim
Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Robert Franks
Robert Franks rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015