Start by marking “Pipe Dreams: A Surfer's Journey” as Want to Read:
Pipe Dreams: A Surfer's Journey

Pipe Dreams: A Surfer's Journey

Six–time world surfing champion, actor, and US heart–throb Kelly Slater tells of the struggles and triumphs he's experienced throughout his life and how they have helped him to become one of the world's most loved sports figures.

From beach blanket bingo to Baywatch, surfing has fascinated people for years, and Kelly Slater is the sport's newest star. He's one of the world
Published July 27th 2004 by It Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Pipe Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pipe Dreams

Josh
I'm endlessly fascinated by surfing, so having the chance to read the autobiography of one of the best surfers in the world was enjoyable and informative. Granted, this will not win any awards for best writing, but what it does do is provide the reader a view into a culture and sport that for many is on the fringe and is considered the sport of potheads and hippies. Slater goes into great detail about surf boards, the different types of waves, surfing conditions around the world, the highs and l ...more
Allegra Green
Yet another autobiography that suffers from 'but it's all good' syndrome. I love reading about stories of people's lives, the random and deliberate events that have shaped their successes and failures, however lately I've noticed a trend in stories where the narrator will tell you a particularly sad or touching event and then try to end it on a positive note, wrapping it up with 'but it's all good'. Finding the meaning in a situation is good, trying to turn negatives into positives is good, but ...more
Jessica
Feb 27, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
Pipe Dreams is a biography of surfing world champion Kelly Slater. This was the first sports related book I'd read, and it's refreshing and also interesting to follow the life of an athlete whom I've admired since day one. We see the private life of Kelly Slater, beginning with his childhood in Cocoa Beach, Florida. With international success and fame, Slater learns to stay focused on his athletic career, and avoid getting sidetracked by women, booze, partying, and millions of dollars. I recomme ...more
Sebastian Valencia
Nov 11, 2015 Sebastian Valencia rated it it was amazing
If you like “bottom to the top” success stories, well you’re in for a ride. Kelly Slater, a now 11 time World Champion, takes you through how his life began and how it flourished. How he had to sleep outside, how he had to try extra hard for attention. A little boy, striving to compete and conquer the surfing scene, or at least make a mark. Keep in mind, this philosophy rose him to superiority, follow the quotes of this book! To finalize my review, this biography will be a classic for anyone who ...more
Melody
Apr 15, 2009 Melody rated it it was ok
In my opinion, this book just added to the stereotype of surfers. This makes Kelly Slater look arrogant and doesn't give surfers such a good name. Kelly Slater is one of the best surfers in the world, though this does do a good job of letting you know he is just a normal person, it makes him look like he doesn't think he is. This book drastically lowered my respect for Kelly Slater.
Alice
Aug 04, 2007 Alice rated it it was ok
This book had great potential. What Kelly Slater did for the sport of surfing and the epic career he continues to sustain make for a a story for the masses - much like Tiger Woods has for golf and Lance Armstrong has for cycling. Unfortunately, the book's voice has the pizazz of a resume and you opt not to pass it along to your non-surfing friends.
Riley Morgan
Oct 16, 2015 Riley Morgan rated it it was amazing
It fun to look back at surfing in the 70ds and see how much it's changed.From try to arch your back the farthings. Now it's trying to go as vertical as humanly possible.The book is about Kelly Slater. IT stars when he was just a baby to when he was 43 and got his 14th world title.
For Kelly It started in Cocoa Beach Florida.he first board was a buggy board. he would spin in circles. then he go a real board and was killing it. he would always did good in contests. when he got on the tour people
Tyler
May 05, 2012 Tyler rated it liked it
Pipe dreams by kelly slater is a great autobiograghry.It tells the story of Kelly and his brother from how they lived and grew up to how kelly made it big. The first chapter was a bit boring fro me but once i progressed through the book like the hunger games it started to get interesting. Whats great about this book Kelly Slater pipe dreams is that it's not one big story it's little stories making up the big story.For instantsKelly was talkiung about that he was scared of the ghost inside his cl ...more
Jake Johnson
May 27, 2013 Jake Johnson rated it it was amazing
The novel "Pipe Dreams" by Kelly Slater is one of my favorite autobiographies. This autobiography is about how Kelly Slater had to deal with hardships between his family, what things he did as a kid, living in Coco Beach, his surf contests, and how he became one of the best surfers of all time! During this book Kelly had hard ships with his family because his father had drinking issues so kelly and his brothers often had to help his mom out with a lot of things because his dad couldn't. When Ke ...more
Katrin
Jan 17, 2013 Katrin rated it it was ok
I read this to "close a gap" in my surfbook collection. Kelly Slater is probably the most important and most successful surfer around, and the way he constantly (and still) stays at the top as well as all his style innovations certainly deserve admiration.
But this book is really bad. Despite the fact that Slater had hired a co-author to help him write it, it is bad in style AND in content. The style resembles an essay by a ten-year old: The sentences are as short as possible and are all construc
Keagan H.
Aug 29, 2014 Keagan H. rated it it was amazing
Kelly M
I thought that this book was an amazing biography on surfings biggest hero Kelly Slater. The writer told Kelly's story so amazingly and I loved the book and I never wanted it to end. The writer included every detail about his life and all of his surfing world titles. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested about Kelly Slater or just surfing in general.
Bex Quin
Mar 18, 2014 Bex Quin rated it it was amazing
A great read that shows how Kelly is such a good athlete
Hunter Romiti
Sep 26, 2016 Hunter Romiti rated it it was amazing
It was a good book
nikki
Aug 08, 2009 nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I'm not a huge fan of non-fiction books (hence the 3-star rating) but this was a nice look into the life and struggle of not only Kelly Slater, but the gradual steps that surfing has taken since the 80's. It has an interesting view into areas of his personal life and his own struggles with family, love, and overcoming obstacles. Not the best book you'll ever read about surfing, but definitely recommended for Slater fans and anyone who loves making those 6am runs to the beach.
Toni
Nov 13, 2011 Toni rated it it was amazing
The book "Pipe Dreams" by kelly slater is really good, and is very discriptive about all the acomplishments that he has done in his life, and that he wants to do in the future. Also it mentions alot about him and what he likes to do/did when he is not competing/ on the world tour (mon his spare time. It also shows how he got to where he is today and what he did to do it. So it is overall a good book.
Mike
Dec 23, 2006 Mike rated it it was ok
Unless you are a Slater groupie pass this one up. It reads like a commercial for Kelly Slater inc, and aside from a funny anecdote about using an old wooden door for a board at one of the north shore breaks, this books is nothing special at all.

Although he does get points for Pam Anderson...just saying.
Cole Cintas
Oct 18, 2013 Cole Cintas is currently reading it
I am learning about Kelly Slater's journey from an everyday surfer to the worlds best. I like this topic because I come from a family of surfers and I like to surf myself. I already know a lot about this topic. The book is from Kelly Slater's perspective which makes it interesting.
Lisa
Feb 23, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
It was a breath of fresh air to know that even Kelly Slater, a multiple time ASP world champion, has obstacles he had to face in terms of fear and himself. I also enjoyed the fact that he didn't bullshit, was willing to admit his embarrassing moments and to his mistakes.
Hai Nguyen
Jan 26, 2008 Hai Nguyen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I couldn't put down. The book is by 7 time world champion surfer, Kelly Slater. The east coast kid from Cocoa Beach is good at telling about his past. He continues to strive to be above his game.
Finding Fifth
Nov 10, 2012 Finding Fifth rated it did not like it
He is human after all. Probably the one of the most selfish people I have ever read the biography of. I can t say that I found anything 'inspirational' in his story. World Surfing Champ pfffffft....World Selfish Chump!
Jeremy
Jun 13, 2008 Jeremy rated it liked it
Pretty good story of Kelly's life up to 2003 or so. Even non-surfers could probably appreciate it. It does tend to focus a bit too much on competitions and results and such but I guess thats how Kelly's mind works.
Lisa
Aug 17, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
This book was funny, though I am not sure if it was KS humor coming through or the person who helped him write it. Over all it was a nice look into pro surfing and how it is an under rated sport.
seth coleman
Apr 11, 2012 seth coleman rated it liked it
Bomb book. One of the first books I ever read in my life and pumped me to win some surf competitions . . . even though i lived in Utah.
Will Connor
Nov 24, 2011 Will Connor rated it really liked it
The book Pipe Dreams: A Surfers Journey is a great book that tells people about the ups and downs in Kelly Slaters life.
Maura
Jan 24, 2009 Maura rated it liked it
Interesting story, just not the best written book ever. Definitely recommend for fans of Kelly Slater.
Matthew
Mar 10, 2008 Matthew rated it it was ok
a little dissapointing when a hero turns out to be a bonehead. and surfing is not that fun to read.
Liz
Jul 13, 2009 Liz rated it liked it
I'm not normally into autobiographies. I just read this one because it was lying around. It was good.
Robert
Jul 20, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read and learning about Kelly's child hood and Florida and his exciting life as a pro surfer
Patrick
Nov 14, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing
pipe dreams is an amazing insight into a surfers jorney through life and the world tour.
  • Eddie Would Go: The Story of Eddie Aikau, Hawaiian Hero and Pioneer of Big Wave Surfing
  • Surf For Your Life: Mick Fanning
  • Caught Inside: A Surfer's Year on the California Coast
  • Scratching the Horizon: A Surfing Life
  • The World in the Curl: An Unconventional History of Surfing
  • All for a Few Perfect Waves: The Audacious Life and Legend of Rebel Surfer Miki Dora
  • In Search of Captain Zero: A Surfer's Road Trip Beyond the End of the Road
  • Saltwater Buddha: A Surfer's Quest to Find Zen on the Sea
  • Ghost Wave: The Discovery of Cortes Bank and the Biggest Wave on Earth
  • Force of Nature: Mind, Body, Soul (And, of Course, Surfing)
  • Sweetness and Blood: How Surfing Spread from Hawaii and California to the Rest of the World, with Some Unexpected Results
  • Jeffrey Gitomer's 21.5 Unbreakable Laws of Selling: Proven Actions You Must Take to Make Easier, Faster, Bigger Sales.... Now and Forever!
  • Are You Lonesome Tonight