Start by marking “The Shop (Cyril Landry #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shop (Cyril Landry #1)

The Shop (Cyril Landry #1)

In Aspen, Colorado, a pop star and her entourage are brutally murdered in their luxury chalet. The lead assassin, ex-Navy SEAL Cyril Landry, has no qualms about carrying out his mission until the instant before he kills the young star—an intense, shared moment that will ultimately drive him to find out why these people had to die. Landry transforms from mercenary to hunter

Published February 6th 2012 by Thomas & Mercer (first published March 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shop

Judy Collins
After reading J. Carson Black’s HARD RETURN, (#2 Cyril Landry thriller), was so intrigued with the characters had to purchase and read (#1 Cyril Landry), THE SHOP.

THE SHOP opens with an assassination in Aspen, Colorado of well- known actress and pop star, Brienne cross. The assassin, Cyril Landry, former SEAL, a member of a black ops unit, THE SHOP, operating within a private security firm and used by the powerful government for missions, outside the law. Landry loves his family and is devoted
Robert
Feb 03, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The main character here is an assassin working for The Shop. After a mission to kill a young country star weighs upon his mind he decides to find out who ordered the hit and why. And he does not care how high the body count goes to get the answers. On the flip side of the coin is a female cop digging into an old murder. With her job in jeopardy she continues digging till her path crosses with the main character. Some of the shifts between characters and settings were just a bit off for this read ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, I've got to say that for a long while this book was a balance between a 1 ans 2 star read. I did finally get "relatively" interested in it...relatively.

The synopsis tells us it's about an ex-navy seal turned assassin who discovers that "The Shop", the people he works for are not what they seem. He begins to ask why he's kill the people he's killing. The synopsis gives us the idea that a local police officer gets involved in helping in the investigation.

Now, the book is actually about the e
Mike French
Oct 08, 2014 Mike French rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mike by: Paul Levine
Fasten your seatbelts and hold on tight! What does a blown hostage rescue and a killing of a TV celebrity have in common? Read this fast paced thriller and find out.
Daniel
Dec 26, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
This book opens with horrific violence, then casts the agent of this bloodletting in the role of reformed underdog. Wait: didn't this guy just butcher some innocent peeps? He did, and later, he throws the hurt down on the real bad guys. It's not an easy shift to make, and I was never quite sold on it--nor did I buy the connection between a town sheriff and a national conspiracy, but what the hell: this is thriller fiction, and it offers some fun.
Dave
Oct 31, 2016 Dave rated it it was ok
The story seemed well beyond belief, and the start was hard to keep the characters organized in my mind. It was a bit gory at times, and the prose was not my favorite either. But at least the convoluted plot was enough to keep me reading while flying on an airplane instead of sleeping. I am not sure that I will need to get any more of the authors books in the near future.
Jim
Oct 25, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
A secret group of assassins hired to kill a pop star in Aspen Colorado, and a Florida murder suicide have more in common than they realize. In author J. Carson Black's, "The Shop", two parallel crimes are racing to intersect with a powerful boom. Small town Sheriff's detective Jolie Burke is investigating the suicide (Murder ?) of local Police Chief Jim Akers. The murder took place in the exact room of a cheap motel where a recent hostage crisis ended badly. Jolie is continually stymied by Chief ...more
Randy
Apr 21, 2012 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad thriller, one with two threads running through it.

In the first, ex-navy SEAL Cyril Landry leads a team into Aspen to kill a reality star and her entourage. He works for the Shop, a super-secret government agency protecting the country. But he's bothered by this one and starts an investigation.

It doesn't take him long to start learning things, which lead him to others, and when he learns the truth, someone is going to pay.

Across the country in Florida, a local police chief is found shot
Douglas Cook
Jan 19, 2013 Douglas Cook rated it really liked it
A very well written thriller in the vein of David Baldacci. An assassin tires of working for faceless masters and takes revenge.

First paragraphs
PROLOGUE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND ASPEN, COLORADO Landry thought: The kid’s positively giddy. Landry had been getting comfortable with the night, watching from the woods as the party wound down at the house on Castle Creek Road, people getting into their expensive cars and driving away, leaving just the core group. Shortly after, the young man came out and m
Jacqui
Jun 02, 2012 Jacqui rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
I had the opportunity recently to read Ms. J. Carson Black's mystery/thriller "The Shop". This is my first exposure to the author who has published seven other novels. This is a well written book where the characters are tightly developed and believable.

The plot revolves around ex-SEAL, Cyril Landry, who now finds himself working as a hired killer for the "The Shop". Landry believes he is working for a black-ops organization which is sanctioned by the government, however, a particularly gruesome
Jacqui
Apr 11, 2012 Jacqui rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the opportunity recently to read Ms. J. Carson Black’s mystery/thriller “The Shop”. This is my first exposure to the author who has published seven other novels. This is a well written book where the characters are tightly developed and believable.

The plot revolves around ex-SEAL, Cyril Landry, who now finds himself working as a hired killer for the “The Shop”. Landry believes he is working for a black-ops organization which is sanctioned by the government, however, a particularly gruesome
Darlene
Excellent. A very exciting read.
Darcie Carsner Torres
Feb 20, 2012 Darcie Carsner Torres rated it it was amazing
I disagree with a majority of the reviews on this book. The author did not dump details like too many thriller writers who wait until the very end to tie everything together. The pieces came together at regular intervals and kept me hooked to the end.

I also disagree that the conclusion was inadequate. I was left with the feeling that a series about either Jolie or Landry could follow, which leaves me hopeful that the author will take up this string in later novels.

At times, the story flipped a b
Judy
May 05, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, suspense
I have mixed feelings about this book. I read it because I had read the second book in this series, and I was trying to catch up with all the events referred to in the second book. This one starts out with the title character killing a popular singer and her retinue as part of his contract with the government, and then wondering how killing her would help the country. As he begins to investigate, he realizes he has been used by some rogues in the government to provide distraction from other even ...more
Martina
Jul 11, 2011 Martina rated it it was ok
I'm not impressed with this book. I like the genre, but this one doesn't hold my attention. I'm about 75% of the way through it, so I'll trudge on. I think part of the problem is that this male author doesn't write the lead female character well. His female character happens to be a police officer, but she is written like every other female police officer, which is either too fragile emotionally, or has abilities that suspend reality. This character is actually rather lifeless in the action depa ...more
Ln Winchester
Nov 13, 2015 Ln Winchester rated it it was ok
Didn't enjoy the writing style. Little differentiation between characters.

As the title says, I find the writing style choppy and abrupt. We're introduced to numerous characters, all of who think and speak in the same jarring way, so it's hard to differentiate between them.

Here's a paraphrased example of what I mean by the style:

"She knew Jane worked for Linda. Linda liked candy. Candy was found at the crime scene. She needed to talk to Jane about Linda's candy."

"He knew he shouldn't have survive
Jan Strnad
Aug 28, 2011 Jan Strnad rated it liked it
I sampled The Shop and could tell instantly that J. Carson Black could write. The full novel didn't disappoint on that score, but I found myself wishing I'd been her editor. The parallel structure, bouncing back and forth between an assassin's quest for revenge and a homicide detective's investigation of a suspicious death, gave me the sense of reading two books at once...maybe one of those wonderful old Ace Doubles. Eventually the storylines come together, but too late.

I'm definitely going to
Pam
Aug 30, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
A multiple murder takes place with actress Brienne Cross in the middle of it. No suspect is found but one survivor, writer Nick Holloway, is found. Nick decides this will be the basis of his next book. Jolie Burke, police detective, is given the job of finding out who killed Brienne. Coupled with the apparent suicide by the sheriff, the killing previously of a man holding a hostage, the Vice President of the United States, and a former Attorney General all combine to make a mystery deluxe. Someo ...more
Carol Luce
Feb 17, 2013 Carol Luce rated it it was amazing
So many thrillers nowadays seem to have the same premise, with nothing new to set it apart from the pack. Not so with J Carson Black's THE SHOP. Even the title hints at intrigue and something out of the ordinary. I've read all of this author's novels, and each one demonstrates her skill for the craft by way of extensive research, character development, prose that sings, and thought-provoking plots that stay with you long after you read The End. Black is truly a master at writing police procedura ...more
Sophie
Aug 20, 2011 Sophie rated it did not like it
Okay, I think I'm done with this author. The story has an interesting and intriguing beginning that could have made for good mystery but instead then gets hijacked into a big conspiracy that challenges even the most gullible. The story is so far-fetched that even I was unable to suspend disbelief. It's not written well, leaves too many loose ends, and seem to be missing a denouement chapter. Reading time is precious and a scarce resource so i would advise that you use yours for a book more deser ...more
Glenn Harris
Oct 25, 2014 Glenn Harris rated it it was amazing
This is how you write a thriller. What if an assassin who believed he was doing good works for the U.S. government discovered that might not be the case and decided to find out exactly who it was that wanted his victims dead? What if, at the same time, a homicide detective in Florida found herself caught in a murder investigation that might involve the Vice President of the United States? What if the paths of ex-SEAL Cyril Landry and detective Jolie Burke slowly came together for an action-packe ...more
Chris
Oct 19, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Well, I can't say that I'd recommend this one. I didn't like one single character in it! And in my opinion, the guy that ended up being the "good" guy (I'm getting the feeling that's what the reader was supposed to think all along) wasn't very "good" in my opinion. I didn't care who made it and who didn't - including the protagonist! Lots of senseless killing and fighting and mean people that had no consciences at all. I couldn't wait until it was finished, but I didn't HATE it....exactly....
Beth
May 19, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book for the action throughout and that it kept you interested. However, the story felt disjointed at times and not fully developed. However, my biggest concern with this book is how abrupt it ended without really wrapping up any of the story lines except the main "mystery" of the book. All of the subplots are left hanging and even the main plot is left hanging a bit. It didn't seem like a purposefully "leave us guessing" type of ending, but almost like the author felt she was don ...more
Drew
Oct 06, 2014 Drew rated it it was ok
“The Shop” is will written with a many action scenes to keep the reader engaged but the story had some issues. First is that most of the characters aren’t really likable. Jolie is but she’s written in a way that seems to make he weak rather than a great heroine. The second is the plot is a bit scatter brain and confusing, so much so that when I got to the end I felt a bit jipped. There were very little clues leading up to it and the whole ending felt a bit unresolved.
Pam Stack
Jul 17, 2014 Pam Stack rated it it was amazing
This nuanced, character-driven thriller is so vastly different from most books that you will read that it may rock you back on your heals. Don't let that stop you from discovering the genious that writer J Carson Black displays in this tight, well written crime novel. Quirky character Cyril Landry is sure to show up again and once I explored deeply his personality, I found him to be the most interesting protagonist in thrillers today. And is his creator, J Carson Black.
Teresa
Jan 19, 2013 Teresa rated it liked it
As mystery/thrillers go, this was average. I enjoyed reading it, and it probably deserves 3 1/2 stars. However, there was nothing special about it either. The book lacked character development, and I felt the ending did not tie up all the loose ends. Overall, it was a readable and enjoyable book, but I won't be reading it again.
Anita F Napier
Mar 18, 2014 Anita F Napier rated it it was amazing
Although the sequence of events were unbelievable at times, I enjoyed this book. You have trained killers, detectives, families, murder victims, and the semi innocent all woven together to bring you to a Bourne Supremacy end. Yes, the characters were a little one dimensional but the overall story is a good read.
Louise Macaulay
A Captivating Story

J. Carson Black tells a good tale, packed with interesting and colorful characters. But therein lies a bit of a problem for me as I struggled to keep track of them all. Sometimes it took a few sentences before I could figure out whose point of view I was in, but the story compelled me to keep reading. I will probably give this writer another try.
Joan
Mar 15, 2012 Joan rated it it was ok
I'm bogged down about 2/3 of the way through this book. Don't know if I'll be able to make myself finish. Not enough character development to care about the good guys, bad guys or victims, and the plot jumps all over. I'm sure it will all come together at the end, but at this point I don't really care...I just want to move on to the next book waiting on my Kindle.
David-Lynn Anderson
May 20, 2012 David-Lynn Anderson rated it really liked it
Interesting concept that if you want to divert the media's attention from something negative that's happened to your administration you simmply have the folks at The Shop commit a brutal killing of a popular movie star.

And it's working until one of the hired killers begins to wonder why he was part of a team that killed a movie star whom his daughter admired.
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Not Comin' Home to You
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • Iced
  • First Time Killer
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • Never Back Down
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • A Man Overboard
  • Matanzas Bay (A Quint Mitchell Mystery - Book 1)
  • Night Game
  • Fancy Gap
  • Inviting Fire (A Sydney Rye Series, #6)
  • Top Ten
  • Vienna Triangle
  • Relative Danger
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)

Cyril Landry (3 books)
  • Hard Return (Cyril Landry #2)
  • Spectre Black (Cyril Landry #3)

“was better to be safe than sorry.” 0 likes