Start by marking “Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,292 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The perfect sweet (or savory) for any occasion

Filled with seasonal fruit, piled high with billowy meringue, or topped with buttery streusel, pies and tarts are comforting and foolproof. In Martha Stewart’s New Pies and Tarts, the editors of Martha Stewart Living include 150 recipes: Some are savory, some are sweet; some are simple enough for a weeknight, while others are f
Published March 22nd 2011 by Clarkson Potter (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts

Martha Stewart's New Pies & Tarts is jam packed with recipes for just about every kind of pie there is. It offers "150 recipes for old-fashioned and modern favourites" from classics like pecan, pumpkin and apple to Vanilla Bean-Pineapple Tart(page 228) and Persimmon Tartlets with Caramel Cream (page 208). The back of the book focuses on basics, which includes tips and techniques as well as advice on ingredients and equipment. There are also some recipes for crusts and other common pie items. ...more
Wow! So many pies to cook! And so little time! ;-)
This is the best and most thorough pie and tart cookbook I have ever seen! It came quickly after ordering on, and easy to read with beautiful illustrations of each recipe. It is paperback, but large and very sturdy. The cover is a wipe free paper product which will be useful for we bakers who dig into the dough. Great tips, clear and simplistic instructions--and a variety of pies and tarts that would appeal to bakers for all occasions! I love that you can also use store bought puff pa ...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

Over 150 recipes for old and new favorite pies and tarts are in this book. From a family celebration to a simple weeknight dessert, you will find a recipe that is perfect. Each recipe has a full-page color picture along with many suggestions to make it easy to prepare. Grab this book, head to your kitchen and pantry, and surprise your family tonight with a dessert that is sure to please.

Paula L. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
My star rating is due to there not being many new recipes. I've been a subscriber to MSL for about 5 years and most of the really special recipes in this book were ones I'd already seen in the magazine. There are one or two that I haven't seen before that I'll copy, but not enough new material for me to justify buying this book.

As for the recipes themselves, I can say for a fact that the Concord Grape Tart and Blackberry Tart (called Old Bachelor Jam Tart in the magazine version of the recipe) a
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I'm not always a fan of Martha Stewart's recipes. There, I said it. So I was surprised by this book - every recipe sounds like something I'd be excited to make and serve, and the colorful instructions for the basics at the back of the book are the best I've seen. There are a sprinkling of gluten-free, vegan, and kosher-friendly recipes throughout the book as well, which is a nice addition. I know I will be returning to this one for ideas. Tonight, I made the roasted cauliflower hand pies.
Love love love this book. It was my guide into pie-making when I was fresh out of university, too enthused to be intimidated and finally with enough time on my hands to attempt baking beyond your basic cookie and brownie recipes. I learned many invaluable skills from this book, especially with crust-making. This also happened to be the very first book I can remember purchasing at a second-hand book store, and I was so pleased with my purchase that I've found many cookbook treasures at such store ...more
My go-to for making pies. So far every recipe has been a hit.
A great book to have in your home library.
Pies have to be my favorite dessert, and Stewart's cookbook has some of the tastiest pie recipes around.
A whole lot of yum. From classics to more modern this book has a lot.

Gorgeous pictures for inspiration and a variety of methods and difficulty levels, this is a great update from traditional recipes, and/or a good place to start.

My only word of caution, as with all Martha recipes is watch the unsalted butter (I find over use makes things bland) and sugar levels (not enough...well you know)
Mar 02, 2009 Kristen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in making pies.
Shelves: cook-books
It's easy to joke about Martha Stewart, but the recipes in this book are great and I've made almost every one. My edition is 1985. Favorite recipes here include: fig tart with crème patissiere and pink peppercorns; chocolate pecan pie with lattice top; rhubarb and cardamom pie; fresh picked blackberry tart with crème patissiere and a glaze of red currant and blackberry liqueur.
I always like to check out Martha's books from the library to see if they're worth a purchase. This one was full of tantalizing recipes I can't wait to try. As always some recipes are a bit too much, I have found that my mothers tried and true custard pie recipe can't be beat, the time and ingredients involved in Martha's was a bit too much. This one is going on my to by list!
Wow! Just have loved every pie so far. Not sure why, but the pumpkin custard is the best one anyone who tried it had ever had . . . And my nephews LOVE pumpkin. The chocolate pistachio was a big hit, and kept moist even for several days. I started with the Fresh Peach w/ Creme Fraiche, which was beautiful And rich! Really a beautiful, fabulous resource!
Love the presentation in her latest books (already have the cupcake one and plan to get the cookie one). Stunning photos that make you want to make everything! A fun categorization of pies, too (even some brunch ones toward the end). Also love the little intros with every recipe. And the back section has good tutorials and tips. Can't wait to make some pies!
I love the way this cookbook is organized: by type of recipe instead of seasonally. Why yes, I would love to get lost in the "Dreamy" chapter (Apricot Chiffon Tart) and they come back down to earth by browsing "Rustic" chapter (Cheddar-crust Apple Pie). Gorgeous eye candy, too, as is typical with the Martha Stewart team of elves.
I've been using this book for years to make pie. my family's favorites are the pumpkin and pecan recipes. I tweak the spices in the pumpkin pie recipes because I love to add mace and more nutmeg, but I've never gone wrong with the crust following the steps in this book.
has some overlapping recipes from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook, but they are mostly new recipes to me. Even the recipes that overlap have new photography. Many of the recipes are very simple, and all that I have made have be extremely delicious!
A YUM lots of Martha-esque pies. I want to eat pretty much all of them. Some look complicated, but I think I need to step it up a level and take the next challenge and learn to bake pies and tarts. I'm putting this one on my Amazon wish list.
Nov 17, 2013 StarGirl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to bake
Recommended to StarGirl by: A friend
I don't usually make pies or tarts but I decided to look through it just to see what it was like and the recipes looked good. I didn't make anything though because I didn't have enough supplies but found what I needed later on.
Mar 22, 2011 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-own
This is in the mail right now and I can't wait to try the recipes! I haven't been a big pie or tart maker in the past but I know I will find inspiration in this new book thanks to Martha and her team.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
I love Martha's books! This one has every pie and tart you would ever want to make. We whipped up the Fresh Orange and Yogurt Tart as soon as we picked up the book and it turned out amazing.
There are some very creative interpretations of the traditional. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I will be using some of the designs.
Beautiful pics. Love the decorative and finishing techniques making ordinary-looking desserts into extraordinary! I would buy this book.
OMG, I love this book. I am now in a pie and tart baking craze. Great ideas for beautiful and delicious treats!
incredible recipes. say what you will about her. the woman sure can bake!!!
Reliable recipes, good instructions,yummy food.
just picked this up at the library - oh my!
everything looks so yummy i want to eat it all.
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Baking
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • Bobby Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
Martha Stewart is an American business magnate, author, editor and homemaking advocate. She is also a former stockbroker and fashion model. Over the last two decades Stewart has held a prominent position in the American publishing industry; as the author of several books, hundreds of articles on the domestic arts, editor of a national homekeeping magazine, host for two popular daytime television p ...more
More about Martha Stewart...