Start by marking “The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen” as Want to Read:
The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen

The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen (Cissy Sissney #2)

Ever since the magnificent Miss Loucien gave up teaching to join the Bright Lights Theater Company, school days have lacked a certain . . . drama . . . especially for Cissy, who longs for a life in show business, and Kookie, who craves adventure. But when a diphtheria outbreak interrupts the dull routine, Cissy and Kookie are evacuated to the doubtful safety of the Bright ...more
Published May 17th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen

Beverly
Jul 10, 2011 Beverly rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Geraldine McCaughrean is a highly acclaimed YA author. She wrote one the best YA historical adventure novels ever - The Kite Rider. So it makes me sad to say that Sunshine Queen was so dull and disappointing, I didn't even finish it. I was expecting a Huck Finn type adventure with glorious characters reflecting the people and cultures of the mid-west. It had a few quirky characters who did pretty much nothing but talk about their more prosperous past. I gave up when I hit the half-way point. I'm ...more
Sarah Sammis
Nov 22, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: The Manga Mania Cafe
The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen by Geraldine McCaughrean is the sequel to Stop That Train but it can read as a stand alone. Cissy and some of her Olive, Oklahoma classmates are sent to the care of their former school teacher during a diphtheria outbreak.

The cover art depicts a fairly early scene in the book, the arrival of the children to the paddle wheel. It washed ashore in a disused pasture where it has lain unclaimed. The acting troop is hiding out there while they try to figur
Aug 03, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 6-8
In the 1890s, 12-year-old Cissy enjoys attending school and spending time with her friend Kookie. The highlight of their school days is receiving letters from their former teacher Miss Loucien, who left teaching to join a traveling theater group. When there's a diphtheria outbreak in their town, Cissy and her classmate Tibbie are sent away with their current teacher to find the theater group so that they can stay with them until the outbreak has passed. Happily for Cissy, Kookie tags along with ...more
Elizabeth
Fun descriptions and ways of phrasing things. A slapstick, rollicking sort of tale.
Several elements I personally find used as cheap appeal or are almost insulting. I realize many Christians come across as unfeeling, harsh, and hypocritical, but .... the verbally abusive mother in the story keeps a Bible close at hand (does note she doesn't read it) and speaks religiously. Jesus specifically is brought up in a flippant if not disrespectful way. I am a bit tired of the backhanding of Christians i
Heather
When a diphtheria epidemic breaks out in their home town, three adolescents--Cissy, Kookie, and Tibbie are sent out of town in hopes that they can escape the deadly disease. They join up with the Bright Lights Theater Company, traveling down the river in a dilapidated show boat with hopes of fame and fortune.

This was a fun book with lots of quirky characters. In fact, I struggled at the beginning trying to keep straight all the different characters, a task which would probably have been easier h
Libby Ames
This is a light-hearted sequel to McCaughrean's Stop the Train. Many old and loved characters reappear and new quirky characters also join the story. When a dangerous diptheria epidemic comes to town, Cissy, Kookie, and Tibbie are sent to stay with Miss Loucien and the Bright Lights Theater company. As usual with this crew, all kinds of chaos insues.

The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen carries on the style and feel of Stop the Train. The story is fun, but it lacks the same profound insi
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
In the 1890s three children are sent away from home to escape disease. They go (with their new teacher) to where their former teacher now is- the "Sunshine Queen", a beached riverboat on the Missouri river.

But when the river rises and the Queen begins to move, all aboard are in for a trip!

The read was light, fun, engaging and full of interesting characters and situations. It reads as part of a larger whole, but that is life as we know it and I actually don't know if there is either a book before
Emma Burkhart
A little slow getting started, but a heap of fun once it got going. A rollicking adventure in 19th century Missouri aboard steamboats and steam trains, with a colorful and spunky traveling theater troupe. McCaughrean's whimsical descriptions routinely make you smile...some of my favorites: "a great tidal wave of Boredom rolled in from the eastern horizon, then broke over the school roofs"; "his only luggage was a sackload of dread"; "a flock of fluffy white clouds were lining up to jump the sun. ...more
Beth
I listened to about half of this, not going to finish it. It's ok, especially if listened on audio or if a parent or teacher read it aloud and could stop and explain confusing parts. i think the vocabulary and sentence structure would be extremely difficult for many grade schoolers. Also, the plot moved along so quickly it would be hard for many kids to keep up. I'll only recommend it to the more advanced readers.
Angie
Diptheria hits town and that means the kids need to leave. So Kookie, Cissy and Tibbie leave with their teacher Ms. May and head to meet up with the Bright Lights Theater Company and their previous teacher. They join the company on the Sunshine Queen and set sail down the Missouri River. There is a whole cast of unique characters who round out the group aboard the Sunshine Queen on their adventures on the river. The book does start out a little slow, but it is a gentler read.
Michele
Sep 09, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful surprise this book was! It confirms the adage "don't judge a book by its cover" as the cover did not really inspire me.

The story positively romps along in a Huck Finn style adventure. The characters are larger than life and the plot ducks and dives to the ultimate climax.

Quite an easy read - fun for any junior lover of adventure with a pinch of romance and lots of drama thrown in.
Heather
Absolutely hilarious. This one was even better than its predecessor, Stop the Train! I was laughing all over the place. I have no idea how Ms. McCaughrean comes up with such a cast of unique and quirky characters, but they were all fabulous. And the situations these characters find themselves in were suitably over the top and always funny. I would certainly enjoy reading more about these characters.
Aaron
Aug 29, 2014 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good as the first one, Stop that Train, by the same author. Cute, funny, well told. Most of our favorite characters are back for more adventures but this time on a river steam boat. Kinda reminded me of Mississippi Jack, y LA Meyer. My biggest complaint was I listened to both on audio book and the first book was a full cast production and this one was with a new reader who would mispronounce some of the characters names. I want consistency. Still 5 stars.
Melora
Jun 01, 2014 Melora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Mostly this was a three star book, but it did improve in the last quarter. There were some amusing characters (though the main character wasn't terribly appealing), and the adventures were sometimes entertaining. The excessive and over-the-top metaphors, though, became increasingly annoying as the story meandered along.
Lori
Aug 27, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geraldine McCaughrean never disappoints and her range of genres is amazing. She is a storyteller first and foremost using rich language and funny play on words. This is a rollicking, literally, adventure set in the era of paddleboat steamers. Only this group of ragtag thespians could have this much bad luck and come out triumphant.
Jane
Oct 15, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to an audio version of The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a madcap adventure with a large and varied cast of characters on a paddleboat cruising the Mississippi in the 1800s. I had a long drive after a 28-hour travel day that included three plane rides and was kept awake and engaged by the humor and solid storytelling.
Marla
Feb 19, 2011 Marla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way Geraldine McCaughrean turns a phrase and she works her magic here, but the story wasn't her best. It's a river tale, similar to the structure of Huck Finn, with stops along the river as the occasion to move the plot along. Interesting characters. Does a nice job of conveying the time period.
Brandielle
Sep 10, 2011 Brandielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun story about a lot of unusual people and a riverboat. Misspelled notes and letters were annoying to get through and I honestly lost track of most of the secondary male characters but definitely a fun read.
Teri Hennessy
1890 Adventures and misadventures of two Oklahoma classmates who travel down the Missouri River with traveling actors on a paddleboat, while diphtheria spreads across the land. Sequel to Stop the train!
Candy Gourlay
Mar 05, 2012 Candy Gourlay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure that a sequel could measure up to Stop the Train but oh boy, this is just wonderful.
Carole
Aug 09, 2011 Carole marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
There's a huge list of characters in the front of the book and the text seemed overly descriptive. I admit that I didn't read much of the book so, to be fair, I won't be giving it a rating.
Bobi
Jul 08, 2012 Bobi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute story. I loved the quirky characters and the quest they all take in order to find a home.
Heather
"Families who enjoy reading aloud together couldn't do much better than this"; "so imaginative a cast and so preposterously and cunningly devised a plot" (from BCCB)
Barry
Jul 09, 2012 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 607-child-lit
Funny start to this historical novel set in the 1800's!
Jenn
Aug 09, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2012
SO much fun, and Lorna Raver gives such a warm, avuncular narration.
Jun 06, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bks-grade-4-5
The highly stylized writing makes it more appropriate for reading aloud.
Abel Shackelford
it is ok.(so far)
Jenne
I am disappointed the Full Cast Audio group didn't narrate this book too.
Sarah Smalley
I had no idea that that was the second book.. That was why I thought it was weird!
Angelica Fink
Jul 02, 2013 Angelica Fink rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Adventures of Johnny Chuck
  • The Dog Who Thought He Was Santa
  • Where I Belong
  • Hothead
Geraldine McCaughrean was born in 1951 and brought up in North London. She studied at Christ Church College of Education, Canterbury and worked in a London publishing house for 10 years before becoming a full-time writer in 1988. She has written over 120 books, 50 short plays for schools, and a radio play.

Her adult novels include Fires’ Astonishment (1990) and The Ideal Wife (1997), but she is bes
More about Geraldine McCaughrean...

Cissy Sissney (2 books)
  • Stop the Train! (Cissy Sissney, #1)