Start by marking “A Journey Round My Room” as Want to Read:
A Journey Round My Room
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

A Journey Round My Room

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  23 reviews
This is an OCR edition without illustrations or index. It may have numerous typos or missing text. However, purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original rare book from GeneralBooksClub.com. You can also preview excerpts from the book there. Purchasers are also entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than ...more
Published July 9th 2012 by General Books (first published 1794)

To ask other readers questions about A Journey Round My Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Journey Round My Room

Bill Bruns
Not more than a moment ago I experienced paroxysms of fear: I could not recall the whereabouts of this book.

It's a pet theory of mine that no matter how much you read, you will only be able to truly know a handful of works in one lifetime. Voyage is such a work in my life. For anyone with anchorite tendencies this is a magnum opus and will touch you to the quick. The narrative is anything but to the point - but that's the point! Without digression life is flavorless and, "Why should [the soul]
Julia Boechat Machado
All my reviews are currently in Library Thing. I'm no longer updating my GR since it was bought by Amazon.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Why five.? Well.. He managed to create such a weird stuff with such a few words.. And that's an accomplishment. The story did give me a positive thought-that you can turn a prison into a heaven by changing your perception of it. But I don't think he would have written all these things about that room had he resided in it for too long a time. And the thing about mirror.. That was real good.. To see oneself and soul and the other.. I do not how the materialists would respond to that but since I am ...more
Nihan
Büyük bir yolculuğa çıkmak için kıtalar aşmanız gerekmez, ilgisiz kalabalıklardan ve hayatın süregelen endişesinden kaçmak için sığındığınız odanız, belki de asıl yolculuğunuza tanıklık eder. Odanızı baştan sona, çaprazlamasına veyahut zigzaglar çizerek gezebilirsiniz. Her adımda karşılaştığınız ayrıntılar üzerine kafa yorduğunuzda hayatınızın nasıl da dört duvar arasında başlayıp, süregelip, bittiğini fark edebilirsiniz.

İnsan ikili yaşar hayatını diyor yazar, içimizdeki hayvan ve ruhun birleşim
Miike
I was introduced to this book through reading de Botton's Art of travel, de Botton has also written the foreword so it links well. This is such a random book I was astonished to find it in a normal bookshop, but I did, and the rest is history. The reason why this book is so good is due to the importance of the central idea, this idea is self evident from the title.

To stretch out a narrative journey from his bed to the window and the view outside is quite an achievement, especially as this journe
Alexandre Piccolo
Muito bom o capítulo final, que mais me lembrou a "visita de Alcibíades" machadiana do que as Memórias Póstumas. Notas especiais aos cap. 26 e 27 - lampejos da função lenitiva da literatura?

Enfim, para citá-lo: "Encantador país da imaginação, tu que o Ser benfazejo por excelência entregou aos hojens para os consalar da realidade, é preciso deixar-te": como todo final de um bom livro.
Henrique Capeleiro Maia
This is a masterpiece one should read at least once in his/her lifetime. The humourous remarks, the way we are brought to travel with the author in the confinements of his room, his soliloquies within his soul, they all bear witness to mankind's ineffable capabilities of imagination.
MARTI
Evet, büyük bir yolculuğa çıkmanız için kıtalar aşmanız gerekmez de, bu kadar sıkıcı olmanız da gerekmez. Halbuki en güzel iki şeydir yolda ve odasında olması insanın!
Beth
I didn't expect to like this book so maybe it was a self-fulfilling prophecy, or maybe I'm just out of touch with writing from other centuries, but I found the 18th- and 19th-century ruminations of this French count/soldier pompous and dull -- though not without humor. He clearly fancied himself a great philosopher, with thoughts and revelations he was convinced were unique.

The edition I read contained "Voyage Around My Room" (1794), "Nocturnal Expedition Around My Room" (1825), and "The Leper
TeaButterfly
Read in French. A Masterpiece, a tour-de-force of humor.
Cooper Cooper
After fighting a duel in 1794 Xavier deMaistre, a young lieutenant and brother of prominent French conservative Joseph deMaistre, was punished by being confined to his room for 42 days. To amuse himself during confinement, the young man wrote Voyage Around My Room which, published by his brother, experienced considerable success. Many years later (1825) Xavier followed up with Nocturnal Expedition Around My Room. Both books are examples of a literary form known in France as the récit—a plot-les ...more
Frank
Komrij wijdt een hoofdstuk aan dit boek in zijn bundel Verzonken boeken .
Er wonen twee reizigers in de reiziger: de een gaat heen, de ander terug. (...) En teruggekeerd van de reis, op zijn kamer, ondergaat hij die indrukken pas in werkelijkheid. Hij reist op zijn kamer. Had hij niet beter meteen thuis kunnen blijven? (...) Voor reizen hoeft hij de straat niet op.
Hij kan thuis boeken over reizen lezen, en zelfs boeken over reizen thuis: een verdubbeling die tot de zevende hemel leidt.

Laat staan
Gianluca Martucci
Un libercolo simpatico scritto da un simpaticone sans souci, almeno in apparenza. Viaggio all'incontrario, ossia stando del tutto fermi, viaggio gradevole fra gli oggetti della sua camera che son nello stesso tempo ricettacoli di ricordi e divagazioni descritti e compiute con lepidezza e l'accompagnamento di una piacevole complicità con il lettore. E non finisce qui perché fra i suoi percorsi si intravede l'ascesa dell'astro moderno, l'io... ed anceh qualche spunto psicanalitico, romantico ecc. ...more
Laren
Just the thing to read if you're on lock down or confined to bed after foot surgery. This tiny, most luminous, artful, poetic, philosophical and meditative book, written in 1794 by a French aristocrat under house arrest for 42 days for dueling, was a gift from the lovely novelist, Iris Smyles, author of Iris has Free Time. Here's a beautiful line from Voyage Around My Room concerning the death of his best friend: "Man is nothing but a phantom, a shadow, a mist that scatters in the air."
Erwin Maack
Creio efetivamente que se pode ser homem muito honrado sem acrescentar aos males reais da vida a inclinação de espírito que nos leva a reflexões lúgubres , e sem perturbar a imaginação com negros fantasmas. Finalmente , creio que há que se permitir o riso, ou pelo menos o sorriso, todas as vezes que se apresente para isso uma ocasião inocente.

A felicidade não é um cálculo.
Mumbler
Hit and miss. It's pretty small, and the hit ratio is not too great, so that's not a lot of hits. But it may prove a little memorable in the long run, from the good conceit.

The bits of philosophizing that I liked were the melancholy moments. Thoughts of friends gone forever - those were very moving.
Virginia
I read this in French many years ago and loved it. It taught me how rich life can be, even in a prison cell.
Ivy
Very interesting. Funny. Weird. Totally original. I'll have to read it again sometime.
Sera
Far from the madding crowd, an escape to imagination and journey to the soul.
Carl
Un questionnement à la fin: Qu'est-ce que la liberté finalement?
Beverley
strange little book, but weirdly alluring in its monotonous setting.
Bahar
Bahar marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Baylee
Baylee marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Gaurav
Gaurav marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
S
S marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Ahu Dolanay
Ahu Dolanay marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Isabela Martins
Isabela Martins marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • The Adventures of Gil Blas
  • The Indiscreet Jewels
  • The Devil In Love
  • Voyage dans la Lune
  • Dialogue entre un prêtre et un moribond
  • The First and Second Discourses
  • Aucassin et Nicolette
  • Lucien Leuwen
  • When Wanderers Cease to Roam: A Traveler's Journal of Staying Put
  • Le Roman de la momie
  • Tomorrow's Eve
  • Anna, Soror...
  • Persepolis, Volume 3 (Persepolis, #3)
  • Les caractères
  • Mémoires d'Outre-Tombe
  • Aphrodite
  • Albertine disparue (À la recherche du temps perdu, #6)
  • تأملات في تاريخ الرومان
Xavier de Maistre of Savoy (at the time, a region of the Kingdom of Sardinia), lived largely as a military man, but is known as a French writer. The younger brother of noted philosopher and counter-revolutionary Joseph de Maistre, Xavier was born to an aristocratic family at Chambéry in October 1763. He served when young in the Kingdom of Sardinia army, and wrote his fantasy, Voyage autour de ma c ...more
More about Xavier de Maistre...
Journey Around My Room and a Nocturnal Expedition Around My Room (Hesperus Classics) Expédition Nocturne Autour De Ma Chambre The Leper of the City of Aosta (1873) Voyage Autour De Ma Chambre.--Expédition Nocturne Autour De Ma Chambre.--Le Lépreaux De La Cité D'aoste Il lebbroso della città di Aosta - La giovane siberiana - I prigionieri del Caucaso

“Imagination, realm of enchantment!- which the most beneficent of beings bestowed upon man to console him for reality- I must quit you now.” 4 likes
“Bir yatakta doğar, bir yatakta ölürüz. İnsan soyunun ilginç dramları, gülünç komedileri ve korkunç trajedileri oynadığı gerçek sahnedir burası. Çiçeklerle süslü bir beşiktir; Aşk Tanrıçası'nın tahtıdır; mezardır.” 0 likes