Start by marking “The Case for the Only Child: Your Essential Guide” as Want to Read:
The Case for the Only Child: Your Essential Guide

The Case for the Only Child: Your Essential Guide

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Although parenting approaches change, attitudes about only children remain stuck in the past. The negative stereotypes lonely, selfish, bossy, spoiled, socially maladjusted make parents think their child will be at a disadvantage when compared to those who grow up with siblings.

The Case for the Only Child debunks the myths, taking into account the many chang-es the nuclear...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Health Communications (first published May 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Case for the Only Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case for the Only Child

Kelly
I read this book with some trepidation, as I was truly uncertain about whether I wanted to have another child. I was fearful of finding the answer within and that I might not like it. I was having a serious case of "baby bug" and needing something to balance my emotional desire to add to our family.

After just a few pages I realized that this book was not for me. It seems more appropriate for a single-child family to read retrospectively or for a family who has made up their minds already and nee...more
Caitlin
I am an only child who is the parent of an only child so I was very curious to read this book. When I was growing up I knew very few only children (if I think about it, I still know very few), nonetheless, after I had my son it never occurred to me to have another. My parents always said to me, "If you get it so right the first time, why do it again?" I did get it amazingly right the first time. My son has just successfully finished his first year in college and is a very happy, smart, socially...more
Kathy Striano-Preece
I am lucky that I don't have anyone in my life telling me it is "mean" for me not to give my daughter a sibling. I am sure this is a problem for alot of people that have one child.
I felt the author gave many positive reasons or having only one but at the same time, she wasn't very preachy to people that choose to have more. The old fashion Mom, Dad and 2 kids model is not necessarily relevant in our society anymore. There are single parents, step children, and same sex couples.
According to the...more
Katharine
Good book for some good deep thinking on the actual benefits of having only one child. Good book for those of you who want to convince yourself that having one child is okay and good thing since it was certainly biased to having only one child is best. Quick read and thought provoking.
Stacy

If you are leaning toward having an only child or just looking for validation of your choice to have only one, then this is the book for you. Dr. Newman interviewed 100 people who were only children or the parents of onlies for this book (although over the years she has interviewed and studied countless others). This book points out the statistics that show the growing only child trend and the many reasons why this choice is a good one. Children cost a lot of money and women are waiting...more
Jennie
When I saw this book available for TLC’s book tour, I jumped at the chance to read it. Brett and I are 99% sure we are done having children and that Sammie will be our only child. Parenthood has been wonderful for us but Sammie has had a lot of health issues that required a lot of time, energy and money. Most of all though, our family feels complete just the three of us. I decided to participate in this tour to read the book because I feel a lot of residual guilt over not having more children be...more
Laura de Leon
This really wasn't the book I was hoping for. It may well be the book someone else needs.

I have an only child. I've long since accepted this as fine for our family. I never worried about most of the things the author gives as concerns. Most of the reasons she discusses for having an only child weren't really part of out decision making either, although I have thought of some as advantages after the fact.

Beyond that, my biggest disappointment is that Susan Newman only refers to the research fleet...more
Lara
If you read my blog at all, you know that I have not one, but THREE children, and you may think that this is an odd book title for me to be reviewing. And you'd be right. Lisa at TLC Booktours asked me to review this book on the premise that some of my readers might be contemplating having only one child, and that I might have a unique perspective on the book's message, given my "overstuffed" household.

As all of the other reviews for TLC seem to have been written by those who do have onlies, I s...more
Rebecca
Some disclaimers, the same as for Maybe One: A Case for Smaller Families :)

(1) We haven’t made a final decision about our family’s size.
(2) I am not critiquing/judging/suggesting anyone else’s family’s size, reading this book is just a part of my own personal journey into motherhood.
(3) I understand the distrust that many of us have of statistics from scientific studies. In my own training I have learned enough about statistics to believe that while this distrust is often warranted (see the 1895...more
Shweta Ganesh Kumar
A book that arms with you scientifically collected data to throw at the next nosy Parker who asks you 'When you are planning to have your next child?' And 'why not?'

Of course, you can always just say 'none of your business' but this book helps you to do it, myth buster style as it debunks all the 'popular' stereotypes and cliches associated with being an only child.

I especially enjoyed the happiness factor - excellent and informative.

A good read.
Technically my rating is 21/2 - only because the...more
A good read for those, like myself, who may have a one and only due to choice or other circumstances.

The author does a good job de-bunking the myths of only children being spoiled, self-centered, unable-to-socialize little monsters. In fact, there are a lot of pros to onlies.

The author covers lots of topics from these myths, societal and family pressure for more children, future concerns, and more.

I only gave it three stars, because I felt there could have been some better editing, as there wer...more
Sarah White
Repetitive, defensive, and you probably know all of this already. Only took a day to read but no need to waste your time.
Jessie
Very readable and cites studies about how only children are not actually the lonely, socially awkward cliche. There was some really interesting research about how for mothers happiness increases with one child but decreases with additional children.
It was definitely biased and sometimes bordered on insulting to those with more than one child, but in all it was a good look at the stereotypes surrounding one child families.
Nicole Mckenzie
The title should have been a clue...this book is completely biased. It felt like a continuous loop of the same information, i.e.: "Yea, you should just have one child, here's why. I forged on in the book, hoping for some real insights. I finished it disappointed. I did like Newman's other book, Parenting the Only Child.
Valerie Butera
This book was reassuring and reinforced my feelings and convictions that being an only child mother of an only child can be a blessing, not a curse. There are plenty of advantages for the mother, father and child. For those of us who cannot or will not have more than one child, this book is a God send.
Liz
Considering all the recently released research on this topic... not very impressed with this book. It is more antecdotal than serious discussion. And, anyone who has had this discussion personally knows the last thing you need is more stories about the topic. :)
Heather
It was a good read, but nothing groundbreaking or too thought-provoking. If you're already decided on one child or leaning that way, this will help, for sure. That's me!
Jana
Extremely biased, as stated in the title. It does dispel a LOT of myths, though.
Jennifer O'Brien
Kind of one sided, but some interesting things to think about.
Anna
Very much what I needed to read and made me feel a lot better.
CeeCeeSugaPie
CeeCeeSugaPie marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Paul Fraser
Paul Fraser marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Goobly
Goobly marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Susan Newman, Ph.D. is a social psychologist, and the author of thirteen relationship and parenting books, including Parenting an Only Child , Little Things Long Remembered, and Under One Roof Again: All Grown Up and (Re)learning to Live Together Happily
More about Susan Newman...
كيف تقول لا : ٢٥٠ طريقة لتقولها و تعنيها ، توقف عن محاولة إرضاء الآخرين للأبد Parenting an Only Child: The Joys and Challenges of Raising Your One and Only Little Things Long Remembered: Making Your Children Feel Special Every Day Under One Roof Again: All Grown Up and (Re)learning to Live Together Happily Little Things Mean a Lot: Creating Happy Memories with Your Grandchildren