Becoming A Person of Influence

Becoming A Person of Influence

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,812 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Whatever your vocation or aspiration, you can increase your impact on others by becoming a person of influence. Learn simple, insightful ways to interact more positively with others, and watch your personal and organizational success go off the charts.
Published August 12th 1997 by Nelson, Thomas, Inc. (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming A Person of Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming A Person of Influence

Sandra Cummings
Dec 02, 2008 Sandra Cummings rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to influence others.
Recommended to Sandra by: A friend
We all have a desire to make a difference in the world. The book "Becoming a Person of Influence" focuses on using your writing and communication skills to motivate and influence others to achieve success.

The book focuses on meeting people where they are and then developing them through various styles of communication.

The idea of the author is to identify the barriers to success and then challenge your audience to overcome them, with communication being your main tool.

A few great examples are...more
Aimee Guerrero
My first John Maxwell book! It was really awesome! It taught me that I can be a woman of influence wherever I am. Also this helped me in learning how to lead my Life Group and how be a good leader to my disciples. This book is best for church leaders, managers, supervisors, business men, and ordinary men/women who are destined for greatness! :) The book made me realize that I was born to influence, I am born to lead. :) #BornForThis
Lauri
I read this with my Arbonne team, and it was a really worthwhile read. Both interesting and inspiring, this is one of those rare books that I think everyone can gain something from, regardless of your industry or profession. Whether or not we are aware of it, we all have influence over others; are you using your influence to make an impact? Is it the impact you want to be making?
Jill Boling
Jan 06, 2009 Jill Boling is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
just started...
Yusita
Jul 19, 2010 Yusita rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Yusita by: MW
Pada dasarnya setiap orang punya pengaruh buat orang lain tidak harus melalui profesi maupun kedudukan. Tiap pribadi bisa disebut orang yang berpengaruh jika mampu membina hubungan yang baik dengan orang lain, apapun yang dilakukannya selama itu baik, benar, positif dan bermanfaat bagi orang lain dan lingkungannya dengan selalu berpedoman pada-Nya.

Membaca buku ini membuatku menelusuri tahapan-tahapan pengaruh yang ada pada diri manusia, karena tingkatan pengaruh tiap pribadi manusia terhadap ora...more
Cristine
Well, here is another John Maxwell book. This was a little more interesting to do. The really helps you become a good leader. Integrity is big in this book. Also, are you being a mentor? That was hard for me to understand until I realized that this was people who influenced you in your life. There it is again...INFLUENCE. Are you being a good or bad influence? Your life shows alot. You have to be a good listener.
This book sums it up real easy for you. I-Integrity with People; N-Nurtures Other P...more
Ted
Maxwell, as always, is terrific. It's his co-author who I felt was arrogant, boastful, self important and condescending. I'm, quite frankly, disappointed that maxwell would besmirch his integrity by associating with someone like this.

Jennifer Alexander Reynolds
If becoming a better leader is your goal, I highly recommend this book. Just because you are in a leadership role does not mean you are a person of positive influence. A leader continues to grow and John & Jim truly outline key steps, give in depth analogies, and provide real world examples of how to be a leader of positive influence. I learned a great deal from this book & I plan to read other John Maxwell books. His easy going style and intricate details and steps agree with my learnin...more
Rose Pereira
Their philosophy is grounding and necessary.
Most importantly, I think it makes you realize that all that you learn in this book is applicable to your everyday life as much as in a business situation. The book includes a few very interesting examples that will make you think what you would have done in a similar situation. which person would you be? how would you behave and what will you gain from that?

It is also as much about influence as it is about communication.
Tawnia
Nov 26, 2008 Tawnia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Managers & future leaders
Shelves: work
I recommend this book for managers and people who want to develop their leadership skills. This book was easy to read (when I made the time to read it!) and I thought it gave a lot of great examples. The questions at the end of each chapter helped me with developing personal development goals and with discussions with co-workers also reading the book. This book is very inspirational and makes me want to be a better leader, friend, future parent...person.
Darren Kittleson
Another Maxwell classic. I've made a point of either reading a new John Maxwell book or re-reading a favorite at least 1 time every quarter. His thinking, teaching and philosophy are grounding in really focusing on what's important in the life I live. This would fall into that category. Many great stories and insights about who you are in the world and the impact that can have on so many people around you.

Definitely worth a read.
Robb
Pretty good book, but so practical that it's a little boring. Some stories are interesting, but a lot of it is common sense. I listened to it on Audiobook with both of the authors reading it, and one them has a boring voice. I'm sure I picked up some tips that are helpful in the way I relate to other people, but as I write this I can't really think of something specific that I learned.
Jim Serger
This book is one that communicates about how to talk, share and most important influence others..it does not need to be at work or at home--this can be in the airport, hotel lobby, or anywhere one can be seen talking with others, interacting with others, or assembled with others. It is like, big brother is watching only big brother is others--365 days a year we can help others--great book
Graydon
I hesitate to add this book to my list, as it does carry the weight and sound of a self help book. Maybe it is, whatever. From what I remember it has some great information that could be of value to anyone who cares about other peoples perspectives. I havnt read it in a number of years and probably need to read it again. If you have read it tell me what you thought.
Gina Herald
John C. Maxwell is one of my personal favorites when it comes to great business and personal development material. This was one of the first books of his that I read and I got hooked. Doesn't matter whether you are working in corporate America, a non-profit, a ministry or as a domestic engineer. Everybody influences somebody, in fact many somebodies.
Torki
"Person of influence means to positively impact the life of other. Influencer mean : I integrity ,N nurture people , F faith that that your team can , l listing to people , U understanding them , E enlarges them , N navigating them . C connecting with them, E empowerment them to, R reproduce leaders "

I wish I had said that …
Jose Jimenez
Has very good material ti be a influence person
TJ Fruichantie
Excellent read! What I liked most about this book is how John and Jim place the focus on who you are more than where you are in life. Anyone can be a person of influence without needing a high position. Reading this book has inspired me to be more intentional and focused with my wife, kids, in ministry, and business.
John
One of the best John Maxwell books. Unlike some of his others, this book has a manageable number of points (10), and is a quick read. This makes a really good reference book for anyone looking to improve their lives. This is especially helpful for people looking for a job promotion or advancement.
Phil Lamb
Oct 23, 2008 Phil Lamb rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: religious readers
Maxwell does a nice job but it seems to simple to me. It is more like a good religious read rather than great content on how it will apply to the leadership world.
I recommend it but don't expect it to cause you to think much. Just a lite read. Decaf coffee not good Cuban Expresso.
Dixon
This book is a must read because we all have influence on someone else. The question is is it going to be for the positive or the negative. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to everyone. Most of us have no idea how much influence we have and how important it is to manage it.
Nicole
Iloved this book. It has to have been the best "motivational" or business book that I have read thus far. Usually I find these types of books repetitive, but I truly thought the book was very thought-provoking and was very insightful. I would highly recommend it.
Ed
Jan 27, 2009 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ed by: Saw it at used book store and took home and read it.
His points of view fit right into the way I see relationships with others. This was the first book I read that filled in the holes that I didn't understand in human relationships. I loved the book and keep it like a social bible.
John
I love John Maxwell's books and this one is both challenging and helpful to those who wish to influence others. His list of ten traits of people of influence is simple to understand, easy to remember and, well, influential.
Tony Canas
John C. Maxwell doing his usual song and dance essentially, nothing particularly special about this one if you've already read some of his other books. I would recommend "The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership" instead.
Rick Mackinnon
We all influence people. Want to have a greater influence? This is a classic giving practical pointers on how to became someone who better interacts with people making it possible to influence them in a possitive way.
Rick Mackinnon
Kennith Freeman
Wonderful book that provides practical information for anyone in leadership. Practical suggestions for how to make positive impacts in the lives of those you serve. A definite must-read for everyone in ministry!
Richard Lallo
My favorite Maxwell book - absolutely required reading for anyone wanting to lead/influence others. Great practical Biblically-based wisdom.
Simply
It gives you fully pictures on how to becoming the influencer to other. Because people is important and to help them achieving the truly succeed is your goal. It is worthy reading indeed.
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • See You at the Top
  • The Business School For People Who Like Helping People
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Winning with People Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization

“In most cases, those who want power probably shouldn't have it, those who enjoy it probably do so for the wrong reasons, and those who want most to hold on to it don't understand that it's only temporary.” 14 likes