Start by marking “Becoming A Person of Influence” as Want to Read:
Becoming A Person of Influence

Becoming A Person of Influence

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,759 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Whatever your vocation or aspiration, you can increase your impact on others by becoming a person of influence. Learn simple, insightful ways to interact more positively with others, and watch your personal and organizational success go off the charts.
Published August 12th 1997 by Nelson, Thomas, Inc. (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming A Person of Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming A Person of Influence

Sandra Cummings
Dec 02, 2008 Sandra Cummings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to influence others.
Recommended to Sandra by: A friend
We all have a desire to make a difference in the world. The book "Becoming a Person of Influence" focuses on using your writing and communication skills to motivate and influence others to achieve success.

The book focuses on meeting people where they are and then developing them through various styles of communication.

The idea of the author is to identify the barriers to success and then challenge your audience to overcome them, with communication being your main tool.

A few great examples are
Aimee Guerrero
Aug 06, 2012 Aimee Guerrero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
My first John Maxwell book! It was really awesome! It taught me that I can be a woman of influence wherever I am. Also this helped me in learning how to lead my Life Group and how be a good leader to my disciples. This book is best for church leaders, managers, supervisors, business men, and ordinary men/women who are destined for greatness! :) The book made me realize that I was born to influence, I am born to lead. :) #BornForThis
Tony Jr.
Feb 05, 2015 Tony Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
The first chapter alone was worth the price of this book. The rest of the book could have been blank pages with smiley faces along the top and I would still be happy.

The first chapter of this book is about two things
1. The #1 key to influencing people which is trust
2. How to gain trust which is being a person of integrity

Great read and something I will re-read throughout life.
Lauri
I read this with my Arbonne team, and it was a really worthwhile read. Both interesting and inspiring, this is one of those rare books that I think everyone can gain something from, regardless of your industry or profession. Whether or not we are aware of it, we all have influence over others; are you using your influence to make an impact? Is it the impact you want to be making?
James
Dec 21, 2014 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, psychology
Another priceless book. Place this alongside the books "How to Win Friends and Influence People", "7 Habits of Highly Effective People", and "The Science Of Self-Confidence", and you will be ready to change some lives. This book expounds on the importance of being a leader.

Most importantly, a leader is not just somebody who tells others to do, but they are a role model. They are somebody that looks to make others succeed.

An INFLUENCER is a person who:
Has (I)ntegrity
(N)urturs others.
Has (F)aith i
Rick Mackinnon
Aug 10, 2011 Rick Mackinnon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all influence people. Want to have a greater influence? This is a classic giving practical pointers on how to became someone who better interacts with people making it possible to influence them in a possitive way.
Lynn
Oct 13, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I enjoy the most about my profession, Human Resources, is seeing others succeed at work or in life. It is especially gratifying when that success cascades and enhances the lives of others. This is an inspirational read that can help you to develop the potential of others and yourself. You may ask "who are you influencing?" and the answer is that it could be any person at any time for almost any reason.

Each chapter provides a checklist of behaviors that will enhance your "influencing" skill
Jill Boling
Jan 06, 2009 Jill Boling is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
just started...
Chase Parsley
Oct 14, 2015 Chase Parsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Maxwell and Dornan write in a folksy, easy to understand way, and I gained a lot from it. I digested wonderful stuff about the importance believing in others, being a listener first, empowering others, the importance of integrity, and more. Best of all, on almost every page there are wonderful quotes or a story illustrating what is being explained. A must read for anyone in a position of authority and/or wanting to make a difference in life. Not preachy at all but rather solid ...more
Sujata Sahni
" A Leader is one who sees more than others see, who sees farther than others see and who sees before others do" ~ Leroy Eims

A quick learning guide to being able to influence people positively and help them grow into leaders. Covers topics on mantaining integrity with people, nurturing them, having faith in them, listening to them, understanding and enlarging them, navigating for them, connecting with them, empowering them which ultimately helps to reproduce influencers.
Yusita
Jul 19, 2010 Yusita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Yusita by: MW
Pada dasarnya setiap orang punya pengaruh buat orang lain tidak harus melalui profesi maupun kedudukan. Tiap pribadi bisa disebut orang yang berpengaruh jika mampu membina hubungan yang baik dengan orang lain, apapun yang dilakukannya selama itu baik, benar, positif dan bermanfaat bagi orang lain dan lingkungannya dengan selalu berpedoman pada-Nya.

Membaca buku ini membuatku menelusuri tahapan-tahapan pengaruh yang ada pada diri manusia, karena tingkatan pengaruh tiap pribadi manusia terhadap ora
Fabrizio Poli
Jul 04, 2015 Fabrizio Poli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Influence is an important element of leadership. In this book John C Maxwell talks about the principles that need to be practiced in order to develop influence and hence become a great leader.

Influence is not about position but really about behaviour. He also talks about how an important part of influence is building the members of your team.

For anybody in leadership this is a great tool to improve yourself and others.

Cristine
May 03, 2013 Cristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, here is another John Maxwell book. This was a little more interesting to do. The really helps you become a good leader. Integrity is big in this book. Also, are you being a mentor? That was hard for me to understand until I realized that this was people who influenced you in your life. There it is again...INFLUENCE. Are you being a good or bad influence? Your life shows alot. You have to be a good listener.
This book sums it up real easy for you. I-Integrity with People; N-Nurtures Other P
Troy Legette
Oct 11, 2015 Troy Legette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say about this book is character develpment and personality transitions that increases better leadership. The information triggers a powerful influence incorporating the laws of attraction. Students who follow great leaders become great leaders.
Jeff Burgess
Jan 03, 2015 Jeff Burgess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book some time ago, but one question posed by the author has stuck with me (paraphrased): "how do you treat people from whom you have nothing to gain?" This book does a good job of describing the servanthood aspects of leadership.
Geo Lacerona
Jul 10, 2015 Geo Lacerona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book you'll learn the four levels of leadership and the importance of listening and showing respect to the people you are leading if you really want to lead the way people will want to follow you.
Nathan Parker
Jul 23, 2015 Nathan Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid resource on leadership and how to influence people. I found it worth reading to make me a better leader and a better influencer.
Carmen Alicea
May 07, 2015 Carmen Alicea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tiger Berry
Sep 09, 2014 Tiger Berry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every organization should read this book. I really enjoyed it.
Sabeng
Jennifer Alexander Reynolds
If becoming a better leader is your goal, I highly recommend this book. Just because you are in a leadership role does not mean you are a person of positive influence. A leader continues to grow and John & Jim truly outline key steps, give in depth analogies, and provide real world examples of how to be a leader of positive influence. I learned a great deal from this book & I plan to read other John Maxwell books. His easy going style and intricate details and steps agree with my learnin ...more
Rose Pereira
Mar 06, 2013 Rose Pereira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Their philosophy is grounding and necessary.
Most importantly, I think it makes you realize that all that you learn in this book is applicable to your everyday life as much as in a business situation. The book includes a few very interesting examples that will make you think what you would have done in a similar situation. which person would you be? how would you behave and what will you gain from that?

It is also as much about influence as it is about communication.
Tawnia
Nov 26, 2008 Tawnia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Managers & future leaders
Shelves: work
I recommend this book for managers and people who want to develop their leadership skills. This book was easy to read (when I made the time to read it!) and I thought it gave a lot of great examples. The questions at the end of each chapter helped me with developing personal development goals and with discussions with co-workers also reading the book. This book is very inspirational and makes me want to be a better leader, friend, future parent...person.
Darren Kittleson
Jul 10, 2012 Darren Kittleson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Maxwell classic. I've made a point of either reading a new John Maxwell book or re-reading a favorite at least 1 time every quarter. His thinking, teaching and philosophy are grounding in really focusing on what's important in the life I live. This would fall into that category. Many great stories and insights about who you are in the world and the impact that can have on so many people around you.

Definitely worth a read.
Wynn
Nov 28, 2015 Wynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'm actually leading an in-person class on this book in January. It is not rocket science, but it is all that you need to really shift some things around in your life for the better. If you're interested in attending the in-person class or would like for me to do it online/phone-conference, let me know.

It is powerful.

You can see the webpage for the class here: http://wynngodbold.com/becoming-a-per...
Shannan
One of maxwells best books! A more adaptive translation of the pop '80's book How to Win Friends and Influence People. Common practices like: believing in others, having integrity, being of sound judgement are some of the many concepts explained. However, I put this book down for a minute and then never picked it up again which tells me it's not a MUST READ. More like "good to read but okay if you don't"
Robb
Mar 14, 2010 Robb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book, but so practical that it's a little boring. Some stories are interesting, but a lot of it is common sense. I listened to it on Audiobook with both of the authors reading it, and one them has a boring voice. I'm sure I picked up some tips that are helpful in the way I relate to other people, but as I write this I can't really think of something specific that I learned.
Jim Serger
Apr 23, 2012 Jim Serger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one that communicates about how to talk, share and most important influence others..it does not need to be at work or at home--this can be in the airport, hotel lobby, or anywhere one can be seen talking with others, interacting with others, or assembled with others. It is like, big brother is watching only big brother is others--365 days a year we can help others--great book
Graydon
I hesitate to add this book to my list, as it does carry the weight and sound of a self help book. Maybe it is, whatever. From what I remember it has some great information that could be of value to anyone who cares about other peoples perspectives. I havnt read it in a number of years and probably need to read it again. If you have read it tell me what you thought.
Gina Herald
Apr 27, 2011 Gina Herald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John C. Maxwell is one of my personal favorites when it comes to great business and personal development material. This was one of the first books of his that I read and I got hooked. Doesn't matter whether you are working in corporate America, a non-profit, a ministry or as a domestic engineer. Everybody influences somebody, in fact many somebodies.
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Business by the Book: The Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • Go-Givers Sell More
  • More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny
  • The Business School For People Who Like Helping People
  • See You at the Top
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...

“In most cases, those who want power probably shouldn't have it, those who enjoy it probably do so for the wrong reasons, and those who want most to hold on to it don't understand that it's only temporary.” 16 likes