Start by marking “The Dagger Quick (The Dagger Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Dagger Quick

Brian Eames

The Dagger Quick ( The Dagger Chronicles #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  121 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A stirring tale of rousing old-fashioned adventure, THE DAGGER QUICK is the story of twelve-year-old Christopher, a boy with a clubfoot seemingly doomed to follow in the boring footsteps of his father as a cooper in 17th century England. That is, until he meets his uncle- William Quick, infamous pirate, and the only man ever crazy enough to steal from the infamous Governor ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dagger Quick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dagger Quick

Madeline
This was given to me by my Literature professor, who is friends with the author - which explains why I spent a couple weeks reading a book clearly not intended for my age group or perhaps my entire gender (but more on that later). Still, overall it was a fun experience.

The book is about 12-year-old Kitto Wheale, who learns that his father has dabbled in piracy in the past, and that his uncle is still a pirate and searching for the treasure he stole from Henry Morgan. Then Kitto's father is murde
Jacob
Jan 05, 2016 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, from_library
A good swashbuckling pirate story, and my only complaint is that it doesn't stand on its own. It's not a big deal since I was planning to read The Dagger X anyway, but that is a pet peeve of mine. It's youth-oriented; I saw this on a shelf at the library and thought my older two boys would like it, but they've shied away. I insisted it must be a hidden gem and determined to read it myself. That will show them!

Fortunately it IS quite good. It takes a bit to figure out what's going on at the begin
Ms. Patterson
Kitto believes that he will follow his father into the business of making barrels, but secretly wishes he could become a sailor instead. He was born with a club foot and he knows that limits him in the eyes of the world. When he meets his uncle, the infamous pirate William Kidd, Kitto's life is thrown into turmoil. His father is murdered, his brother and stepmom are kidnapped, and Kitto joins forces with his uncle to get revenge on the man behind it all -- the Jamaican Governor.

As advertised, T
Margo Tanenbaum
Looking for a rip-roaring adventure story for summer fun, reminiscent of classic pirate yarns like Treasure Island (but without the challenging vocabulary)? Make sure to keep an eye out for The Dagger Quick, a page-turning tale from debut author (and long-time teacher) Brian Eames.
Eames spins the story of 12-year old Christopher Quick, known as Kitto, who lives in 17th century Cornwall and is apprenticed to his father to be a cooper, or barrel-maker. Kitto longs for a life of adventure at sea,
Laura Shannon
May 29, 2011 Laura Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I often trade books with my oldest daughter, who is 12. She read this book and loved it. She loved it so much, in fact, that she went on and for days about how the ending had such a great cliffhanger and she really hoped that there will be a second book. So I decided to give it a try, as well.
It is very surprising that Mr. Eames is a first-time novelist. Not all first novels are written this well. The character and plot development are first rate and the ending, which takes up the last 1/3 of t
Nannah
I wasn't as impressed with this book as I wanted to be. The language seemed a little bit stilted and the story quite contrived.

For example, the dialogue would shift to using absolutely NO contractions even where the dialogue would flow better to using many contractions. Through the same characters. And there was even a time where a character said (fairly late in the book), "I ain't never seen Mum scared," which totally contradicts the language that's been used in the book thus far, even by this
Karissa
I got an advanced reading copy of this book through the Amazon Vine program. It looked like a fun book, a rousing pirate adventure of sorts. It was okay; the pacing of the story is a bit off and the characters a bit inconsistent. I do think younger readers will enjoy the adventure and the pirates.

Kitto Quick is a clubfoot who is learning his father's trade of being a cooper. Kitto doesn't want to be a cooper though he wants to sail the high seas. When part of Kitto's father's sordid past comes b
BAYA Librarian
Kitto Wheale lives in Falmouth in 1689, with his father, stepmother and younger brother, and is suddenly wrenched out of his ordinary life when he finds out that his uncle is a notorious pirate and he and his father are about to join the pirate Will Quick on a voyage to recover a treasure stolen from Henry Morgan…if Morgan’s men don’t get them first.

This adventure story is well researched and fast moving, although the heavy handed foreshadowing is jarring. Awkward and ungrammatical sentences ab
Kim Gontarz
Christopher Wheale - Kitto finds out that his father had changed his last name from Quick because of shady business dealings. In 17th century England life falls apart when his father is murdered. Kitto ends up on the high sea looking for treasure for his uncle William Quick who is a Jamaican pirate. Kitto has a club foot.
Theo
Jun 09, 2011 Theo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found it not good because it had nothing to do with the dagger on the cover and he was a Quick, but not a Dagger Quick. At the very beginning he SHOT somebody! Through the eye, and I found that extremely violent. Not my kind of book. And the monkey as well on his shoulder had nothing to do
with it except that it was Van's monkey. Van is sort-of annoying, as well. He's like "oh, I want to work for Captain Evil Dude" and "Oh my gosh, how could I ever think something like that?" So he's friends wi
Grace Cuenca
Oct 04, 2011 Grace Cuenca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good. My favorite part was when Kitto was rescuing his brother from the slavery ship. That part was exciting and my heart was pounding all through it. I was thinking Would Kitto make it or become a slave just like Duck? This book was full of excitment, bad, good, evil, and some old fasioness too (17th century). Many times I was scared for Kitto and what danger he put himself in. I was so sad when Kitto had to go through the fact that his father was dead and when he was left all al ...more
Charlene
A pirate story, lots of action and good characterization. Heard the author at local library and enjoyed quickly reading this.
Bari
This book received great reviews by Kirkus, Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books and School Library Journal. For this reason as well as the description I decided to read it. I was looking forward to reading a great kids book that I could recommend. Unfortunately, this book did not live up to the hype and I was disappointed.

I found the story to be slow and not all the riveting, the characters were not interesting or engaging and the action I was looking for seemed lacking.

Due to all of t
Aymeezus
Jan 04, 2014 Aymeezus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm taking a wild guess that this is intended for those who's tastes are faster paced. The dialects were a bit sketchy, but who's to know, being so engulfed by the story. It may not have been a reasonable plot nor the most easiest to understand, but it is as good as any pirate related form of entertainment. I'm a bit disappointed that the goals of each character is a bit in the fog, and the cliffhanger in the end more so!
Jill Cd
Feb 16, 2016 Jill Cd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pirate adventure with great details that puts the reader right on the ship!
Pirates, some death, lots of fighting and adventure. 4-8th grade
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 07, 2016 Carterkempgmail.Com rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
A fine, rollicking adventure on the high seas.
Dru
Dec 07, 2011 Dru rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written story of a Kitto, who joins a pirate ship after his father is murdered. The story does a fantastic job of giving everyone on the ship a bit of perspective. Kitto's disability is mentioned, but it never drives the action and is merely a reminder of the life Kitto left. The biggest problem with this is that it just ends. No resolution. If this was supposed to be part one of a larger story, it would have been nice for the story to somewhat conclude. Instead we're left with ch ...more
Doris Gwaltney
Sep 25, 2013 Doris Gwaltney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doris-gwaltney
The book's cover and every written word inside it create the world of seventeenth century England. An exciting world of pirates and privateers, of families that are disjointed and those willing to give their lives for each other. Christopher Quick, known as Kitto, wants to become a part of the world of ships and sailing, not the world his father wants for him... that of a cooper. And so it happens. Not as Kitto would have wished, but he does go to sea. At age 12, his life is changed forever.
Alex
Jun 06, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! A solid pirate tale that reads as if it were an alternate telling of treasure island. Kitto is cripple who sees no joy in life except to follow in his fathers foot steps and become a barrel maker when a stranger comes through the door of their work shop. That stranger looks a lot like his father and spins a strange story of captain Morgan and hidden treasure......

Exciting fromthe first page 4.5 stars
Ami
Jul 01, 2013 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on a whim at the library and read it in one day. It is a fast pace adventure story. Being a tale about pirates there is death and blood but it is not the main focus nor is it overly described. Some characters are noble and others are just like everyone else struggling with their own personal demons. The sequel will be out 10/13.
Kristin
Jun 14, 2015 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
boys would like it
Rebecca
Everything was kind of off...nothing felt real, nothing was exciting, and what's more, I'm pretty sure that about 100% of the dialogue was historically inaccurate in terms of grammar. Exceedingly annoying. Yuck.
Donna
Sep 17, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great historical fiction for upper elementary kids. I'm looking forward to seeing these characters grow up along with their readers, and I'll be fascinated to see how the writing style grows with them, too.
D.J. Butler
This book wants to be an action book for boys, about pirates. That's awesome.

Unfortunately, it's slow, turgid, gory and full of anachronisms. Eh. Maybe the sequels will be better.
Samantha
Dec 15, 2012 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked it for being historically accurate but that's about it :/ it wasn't bad to the point where I couldn't finish it but it was way too slow moving and uninteresting for a pirate book.
Heather
"fast-paced, well-developed, and historically accurate,the lively narrative grabs readers from the get-go and keeps them sailing through the pages" SLJ
Rochel
Feb 25, 2013 Rochel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Felt it was too much like a movie and less like a book. I also thought it was not appropriate for the age group it was written for
Lynn
Action and adventure that's reminiscent of Treasure Island or Robinson Crusoe. Looking forward to more from Brian Eames!
Peggy Winter
Was really enjoying this book right up until it suddenly ended! Bah, how annoying!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Between Two Ends
  • Fish
  • Odd Girl In
  • Nightborn (Thrones & Bones, #2)
  • The Pirate Pig
  • Zora and Me
  • Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1)
  • Missing on Superstition Mountain (Missing on Superstition Mountain, #1)
  • The Teeth of the Gale (Felix Brooke, #3)
  • Beneath
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • The Ghost in the Noonday Sun
  • Curse of the Dream Witch
  • The Dragon of Cripple Creek
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Bo at Ballard Creek
  • Pirate's Passage
  • Mercy: The Last New England Vampire

The Dagger Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Dagger X (The Dagger Chronicles, #2)