Start by marking “Following the Last Wild Wolves” as Want to Read:
Following the Last Wild Wolves

Following the Last Wild Wolves

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  21 reviews
“If the wolves had a voice, I imagine it would sound something like the one contained within this fascinating little book.”—Canadian Geographic

The illustrated edition of The Last Wild Wolves won the BC Booksellers' Choice Award and has sold over 7,000 copies. This updated textual edition follows what has happened to the wolves since 2007, as they hunt, kill, fish for salmo
Published March 14th 2011 by Greystone Books (first published September 19th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Following the Last Wild Wolves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Following the Last Wild Wolves

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This book is a treasure. The author has spent seventeen years photographing and observing several unique wolf packs on the northern coast of British Columbia. These wolves are genetically different from inland wolves because they have been isolated by the enormous coastal mountain range.

The photos are stunningly beautiful and the text accompanying them is inspiring and informative. I learned a lot about wolf behavior and their interactions with other coastal species such as bears, ravens, salmon
Teresa
Any coffee table book has good photographs, and this is no exception. What sets this book apart is in the telling: Ian McAlister studies the packs that live on the Canadian coast and shares his observations on the behavior of these packs.

Great to thumb through, but also great to read.
Joy Marley
I borrowed this book from the library and 5 pages in, I knew I had to have a copy of my own. This is the first research ever conducted on this unique population. The photos are spectacular, but better, the author's passion for his subject shines through on every page. He goes beyond educating the reader about wolf culture and introducing wolf personalities -- he gives you every reason to love them.

The book includes a DVD with footage one would never expect to be so privileged to see -- the wolf
Just A. Bean
The pictures are gorgeous! Absolutely stunning. There's a lot of information about the habitat and behaviour of the raincoast wolves, so that was also good, though I had hoped for more science.

The prose itself isn't great, mostly because the author seemed inexperienced as a writer, but partly because he was trying to get across this massive numinous experience, and just didn't have a way to do it. Fair enough, it's mostly a picture book anyway.

My main problem was that I really wasn't comfortable
Pam
The rainforest coast of northern BC is one of the few wild places left in the natural world where wolves and white bears stalk the forest as they have for thousands of years. It's a compelling narrative documenting the wolves' complex life. There's over 100 stunning photos & a DVD included
Tracy
Beautifully written book that will give you great insights into the lives of other animals.
Amy
A beautiful book -- I learned much about wolves and their habitat.
Jo
Dec 18, 2009 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
I loved this book! I settled into bed with it last night, thinking I would read a few chapters before bed but then I didn't end up putting it down until I had devoured every single page! The photographs are stunning and so beautiful. I laughed to myself numerous times over the antics of the wolves Ian was observing, especially the pups and my favourite wolves Ernest and Sorrow. The encounters between Ian and the wolves were so amazing to read about! I even cried my way through most of the epilog ...more
John
This is one of the best books on the nature of wolves I have ever read. His research was totally hands on, in the field, observation type of research with no harm to the wolves. Well worth the read! The photography is stunning.
Taleisin
If you check out this book for the pictures alone, it is worth it. However, the text shows a great respect and understanding for these creatures. The author appreciates the wisdom and traditions of the local native peoples and respects the culture and hierarchy of the wolves themselves.

I particularly liked how they gave each wolf a "name". With wolves like, Sorrow, I was curious as to the story behind the name. Also the alpha of one of the larger packs featured is named Bob...priceless.
Dan
I'd wanted to read The Last Wild Wolves, but this appeared to be the updated edition, and judging by the epilogue at the end of the book, I'd definitely recommend trying to get your hands on this edition. Great read. Not incredible writing, but not bad either. Not too preachy (for me anyways) or redundant. The immersion into the territory is great, lots to learn, and these wolves really are fascinating. Great short read.
Daniel Stewart
This book was an insightful look into the lives of the unique wolves of British Columbia's rain forests. Having read many books of this genre, I didn't feel it was the most well-written book of its kind. Nevertheless, the stories, photographs and overall experience was worth the read and considering the many threats to this region these days, it is a must-read for both British Columbians and Canadians.
Earth Action
Mar 26, 2008 Earth Action rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves nature
Recommended to Earth by: the author
This is book is an incredible journey into the lives of two wolf packs living in the Great Bear Rainforest of British Columbia. The culmination of seventeen years of non-invasive (no radio collars) study by the author, Ian McAllister and his team of researchers. It is a jaw-dropping pictorial and prose combination not to be missed.
lin
I really enjoyed this book! The writer did an excellent job of providing the background history, biology, and geography that the reader needs in order to understand wolves. I was completely surprised and fascinated to learn about wolves living in coastal environments and among islands 5 miles apart.
Jim Corson
This is a coffee table book of the wolves of the northern BC coast, but if you take the time to actually read the story with the picture, you will find it facinating. Great information about a seldom seen wolf in what might seem like an unusual enviroment. Highly recommened read!
Geoffrey
It ranks up there with London's Call of the Wild. As non-fiction, it offers jaw-dropping insights (both written and pictorial) into a majestic and magical species--the wolf.
(see an interview with the author: www.earthactionrightnow.org)
Kerry
A BEAUTIFUL book about the lives and habits of wild wolves-written by a man who studied and lived among them for years. Includes some of the most AWESOME pictures you'll ever see.
Ryan
For anyone who isn't outraged about the hunting of wolves in Idaho and Montana (or anywhere else), this would be a good read.
Carol
This book is exactly the same as The Last Wild Wolves: Ghosts of the Rainforest, except that the epilog has been updated.
Jennifer W
Beautiful photography. I wish there was a stronger narrative to the text.
Conner
Absolutely beautiful.
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Marcus Gasques
Marcus Gasques marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Ellie Cosgrove
Ellie Cosgrove marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Lando
Lando marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Being Caribou: Seven Months on Foot with an Arctic Herd
  • Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species
  • Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds
  • The Company of Wolves
  • Listening to Whales: What the Orcas Have Taught Us
  • Wolves at Our Door: The Extraordinary Story of the Couple Who Lived with Wolves
  • Decade of the Wolf: Returning the Wild to Yellowstone
  • Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays
  • The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint
  • The Lost Grizzlies: A Search for Survivors in the Colorado Wilderness
  • The Animal Dialogues: Uncommon Encounters in the Wild
  • Shadow Mountain: A Memoir of Wolves, a Woman, and the Wild
  • Of Wolves and Men
  • The Dolphin in the Mirror: Exploring Dolphin Minds and Saving Dolphin Lives
  • Part Wild: One Woman's Journey with a Creature Caught Between the Worlds of Wolves and Dogs
  • Mind of the Raven: Investigations and Adventures with Wolf-Birds
  • The Tall Book: A Celebration of Life from on High
  • The Beast in the Garden: The True Story of a Predator's Deadly Return to Suburban America
Born in Vancouver, Ian McAllister has become a leading Canadian advocate for coastal rainforest and marine wildlife protection. An award-winning author and photographer he is the founder of the wildlife conservation group Pacific Wild. He has spent the last twenty years documenting large carnivores that inhabit the rugged north coast of British Columbia. His research has been featured in many inte ...more
More about Ian McAllister...
The Sea Wolves: Living Wild in the Great Bear Rainforest The Salmon Bears: Giants of the Great Bear Rainforest The Great Bear Rainforest: Canada's Forgotten Coast Great Bear Wild: Dispatches from a Northern Rainforest The Great Bear Sea: Exploring the Marine Life of a Pacific Paradise