Codename: Sailor V, Vol. 2

Codename: Sailor V, Vol. 2 (Codename: Sailor V Deluxe Editions #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,118 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Its Valentine’s Day and chocolates are being exchanged, but Minako Aino can’t decide if she wants a crush to give her chocolates to, or just to eat them all herself. If stress of Valentine’s Day wasn't already enough, now Sailor V has to contend with a chocolate shop fatting everyone up, and an evil spa draining people of their life force. It’s up to her to defeat the Dark...more
Published November 15th 2011 by Kodansha Comics (first published November 22nd 2004)

Sailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko TakeuchiCardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 by CLAMPCodename by Naoko TakeuchiShugo Chara!, Vol. 1 by Peach-PitTokyo Mew Mew, Vol. 01 by Mia Ikumi
Magical Girl Manga
17th out of 37 books — 56 voters
Pandora Hearts, Vol. 07 by Jun MochizukiDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaChobits, Vol. 05 by CLAMPBlack Butler, Vol. 06 by Yana TobosoKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Best Manga Covers
203rd out of 346 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Codename Sailor V is unashamedly silly, and very fun. Her tranformations are vaugely on topic, but are really excuses to draw Minako in a wide variety of cute outfits. This actually works, because Minako is blatantly transforming just to get to wear a wide variety of cute outfits. Her dialogue is often very funny, and there's a completely out of nowhere shout-out to Victor Hugo, which made me wildly happy. I was surprised at what an emotional ending this volume (and this series) had, and it made...more
Chibineko
I have to say, I've really enjoyed the Sailor V manga. It's such a great look into the thought processes of Takeuchi. In the first volume she played around with character designs that would later appear in Sailor Moon. In this volume we can see where she had fun fleshing out the world from the first Sailor Moon arc. (This series ended about the same time as the Sailor Moon manga did, so all of this was drawn way after the Dark Kingdom arc ended.)

It's really neat to see manga like this, where you...more
Mel
With so many deus ex machinas and nonsensical plot contrivances how is this manga not a total train wreck? Because it's so much fun, of course!

Mina's transformation pen is an obvious ploy to allow Takeuchi to draw ridiculous outfits (that last a page at most), but it's done so gleefully that it's a joy to read. The same applies to Mina's insane, meandering pre-battle speeches. They reference everything from the Communist Manifesto to the ASPCA, and they're so crazy that they work. But the real t...more
Lina
Codename: Sailor V is the prequel to Naoko Takeuchi's Sailor Moon manga series. It tells the story of Minako Ano who is the Pretty Guadian in a sailor suit, Sailor V (say 'Sailor V' with an 'a' sound at the end, pun-tastic). Sailor V (Sailor Venus) appeared in the Sailor Moon manga already a powerful scout and had already been awakened. These two volumes show Minako meeting Artemis, becoming a Sailor Scout and the adventures that made her the infamous Sailor V we know from the earl SM manga.

C:SV...more
Jennifer Lavoie
I liked this volume better than the first. There was a lot of development for Minako. She changed from Sailor V to Sailor Venus, and throughout the book the author hints at Sailor Moon. In this volume, Makoto and Ami are shown passing Mina. There is also a hint at Luna when Artemis mistakes someone else for her, though it is never shown how Luna is eventually woken up.

I thought it was also interesting to see that Danburite was Adonis, someone from Mina's home planet of Venus. I liked that story...more
Kerr
I've loved sailor moon for years, the past memories and the alternate identities! and I always wondered how Venus was found, in the story, she just appears, fully found (and awakened). And now I do! Such a sad ending for the Goddess of Love, Duty first.
(and Artimis' crush on Luna-the-dog was funny!)

If you dont know sailor moon, then the story of Venus will mean little to you. I'd probably recommend reading the sailormoon manga first Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Volume 1 (or at least the first tw...more
Minako's adventures before the series are quite amusing. And the end of this volume actually makes a wonderful lead-in to the start of the second Sailor Moon volume.
Chelsea
This volume is really fun and has some great chapters. I really enjoyed the Valentines Day chapter at the beginning. The pet chapters were also amusing. My favorite chapters in the volume were probably the last two chapters were Sailor V learns more about her past life. I would have enjoyed getting to read more and felt that this was a great prequel series before the Sailor Moon Series.

Contains Volumes 9 - 16
Vol. 09: Sailor V vs. Devleene!
Vol. 10: Sailor V in Trouble!? Phantom Ace Arrives!
Vol. 1...more
Mizumi
And with that, my Sailor Moon manga reading adventure officially comes to an end. Well, the first complete read-through in Japanese, that is - quite likely to have many in the future. Sailor V was something new, though. I've only read it once before, in a fan translation years ago, and only remembered bits and pieces of what other people posted about it since.

Sailor V is much more silly and light than the main series, up until the last two chapters. Though there are some underlying themes that...more
Ariane
Volume 2 concludes the pre-Sailor Moon career of Minako Aino, alias Sailor V: tween heroine, professional monster-fighter and practiced class-skipper. In a couple of ways this volume is a definite improvement over the first. For starters, a number of the side characters - such as Minako's friend Hikaru and the goofy detectives Natsuda and Wakagi - play bigger roles. Their involvement may not be more serious but they do give Sailor V's adventures a little needed extra dimension. And then there ar...more
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3.5/5
[Taken from my blog: http://geekyreading.blogspot.com/2012... ]

So this book took way too much time for me to get through. I started it around the same time I finished the last one (or, um, maybe a bit after), but then it took me quite a while to finally get around to reading all of it. Mostly I think it was because every chapter had a new villain that Sailor V had to go defeat, in which most of it was filler type stuff. That just doesn’t interest me enough.
I am glad that I finally got arou...more
Ilaria
"Chissà se un giorno da qualche parte incontrerò qualcuno con cui poter condividere i miei sentimenti, qualcuno che mi capisca veramente..."

E questo secondo volume di SV2 è nettamente migliore al primo. Sarà stata la lunga attesa di 3 mesi per averlo, la mancanza delle Sailor o le battute e le facce troppo buffe di Mina... fatto sta che mi è piaciuto un casino!
Voglio spendere due parole per il capitolo "Il complotto di Miao-Miao": a parte che anch'io vorrei vivere nel regno dei gatti (che in qu...more
Nazish Ahmed (Nazish Reads)
I just reviewed this on my blog.
To view the full review and other reviews, click here Codename Sailor V Volume 2 by Naoko Takeuchi

This is the second and last book in the Codename Sailor V series, in total there are 2, and I think in the japanese one there are 3.

Sex: No
Gore: No
Magic: Yes (Mina transforming is magical, so I count it as magic even though there are no people casting spells in there)
Romance: (I've decided not to rate the romance anymore, I'm pretty sure it's self explanatory, so I'l...more
Kara
I had long suspected that Sailor Venus was a much more interesting character than I had previously given her credit for being. Literally being the first one to retrieve her memories and become a sailor scout. I didn't expect this to be her story, but a fun and fascinating journey none the less.
Michael
Still formulaic - Mina's crushes and (often needless) disguises are prevalent throughout - but still charming and I enjoyed how Takeuchi slowly unveils the larger backstory of the series. Good sense of humor and playfulness make it a nice way to spend afternoon. Again, not essential, but pleasant fluff.
Meghan
Sailor V’s adventure continues as she discovers more about herself and about her past.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a HUGE Sailor Moon fan. I consider it to be my original fandom, and I can’t even imagine my life without Sailor Moon because it led me to some of the greatest people I’ve ever met.

For a Moonie like myself, Sailor V is great. You get backstory. You get to see new characters. You get more Moonieness, and more Moonieness is ALWAYS a good thing. For the newb to the Moonie fandom,...more
Bianca Woods
Sailor V more often than not doesn't take itself too seriously, which is when it's at its best. Minako works as a lead character because she's delightfully flawed. She's boy-crazy, easily distracted, and, on the surface, disinterested in her mission, but in the end she manages to save the day anyway.

This volume gets bogged down at the end, though, when it tries to conclude by tying itself into the Sailor Moon timeline more. Having to wrap things up was inevitable, but the comparative seriousnes...more
Angel Truesdale
What’s a girl to do when she has no VALENTINE?! Well, Mina aka `Sailor Venus` has little luck in love when we start this second volume of the `Codename Sailor V`. She soon swoons over a mysterious beau and she finds herself ready to take on the dark forces that threaten to drain the energy of her teenage friends. Not only is she trying to save Tokyo and subsequently the world from domination but she is trying to live a normal teenage life. Her faithful and witty guide, `Artemis` the cat, is stil...more
The second volume is just as adorable and fun as the first volume, although with more Sailor Moon stuff - especially the final chapter. Plus, Minako gets her own Tuxedo Kamen although it doesn't go the same route as Usagi and Mamoru. It also sets up Minako's dream of becoming a music idol. The only thing that irks me is that the series never reveals the source of the voice that gives Minako her orders. Is it Luna? Serenity? I'm not sure. Still, it all ends up being a goofy, colorful, lighthearte...more
Kayla
Sailor V's journey takes her from saving Tokyo to discovering her true purpose and identity in life. I loved this, especially with the cameos of Jupiter and Mercury at the end. Having had all the inner senshi in the two volumes of Sailor V except Mars... makes me wonder if I somehow missed her...
Julie
This was so much fun! I really liked how Sailor V's story developed and how you'd start to see little cameos of the other sailor senshi (sometimes as a joke, sometimes it was actually them). I had read a synopsis of this volume years ago but they didn't really explain it well and put more emphasis on the policeman/inspector general/Mina love triangle idea than was really the case.

The translations continue to be greatly improved in these new volumes although I occasionally question why there aren...more
Alison
A great prequel and definitely enhances the reading of the Sailor Moon manga!
Ian Mellark
Que les puedo decir!!! Simplemente me emocione de principio a fin!!! Me encanto el tomo dos de "Sailor V", simplemente maravilloso!!!! Me encantaron los últimos dos capítulos en donde Mina Recuerda su vida anterior en el reino de la Luna, y debo admitir que cuando se descubre lo de Adonis y pasa lo que pasa... Uffff!!! Ya había escuchado algo de lo que pasa con Adonis-Mina y creo que algo similar pasa con las otras Sailors!!! Me gusto mucho!!! Ahora a conseguir el Manga de "Sailor Moon". Le doy...more
Selena
Plot? Who needs plot with pretty art like this?

...

I kinda do...

My complaint with Sailor V, even from the beginning, is its flimsy story line. It's basically, "Poof! You're a magical girl. Go fight evil and... Oh, falling in love for the fifty-milionth time? That works too." I'm fine with an episodic structure, but you have to throw me more of a bone than that, especially with a character as annoying as Minako.

Still, the art was gorgeous, and I suppose if you're a fan of Sailor Moon it's worth re...more
Anna Nowinski
Slightly more plot than the first one, with a lot of build-up to the Sailor Moon manga. Good think I'd already bought the first act!
Kaitlin
I'm glad that I got a chance to read all of Codename: Sailor V. As a Sailor Moon fan growing up, it is nice to see what happened to Mina before she joined up with the rest of the scouts. This book is a fun read for fans, but I'm not sure non-fans would like it much. I found the jumping between different story arcs and then back to the main one not terribly well done. So, a solid read, but not one I'd recommend outside of fans of the series.
Sarah Savala
The fun continues in the second installment of Sailor V and her partner Artemis's adventures! Minako gets stronger, but still constantly falls in love. In this final volume, the enemy is making its rounds in not just Japan, but China as well. Here Minako gets some startling revelations about herself and her destiny as Sailor Venus.

This was just as funny and action-packed as the first volume,and also a lot of fun to read.
  • Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus Volume 2 (Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus (Dark Horse))
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 04: To Bud
  • Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Vol. 02 (Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, #2)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 01 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, #1)
Naoko Takeuchi (武内直子, Takeuchi Naoko) born March 15, 1967, a manga artist (mangaka), lives in Tokyo, Japan. Takeuchi's works have a wide following among anime/manga fans. She has become a well-known mangaka worldwide. Her most popular work, Sailor Moon, rose to become one of the most recognized manga/anime figures to date.

Takeuchi is married to Yoshihiro Togashi, the author of YuYu Hakusho series...more
More about Naoko Takeuchi...
Sailor Moon, Vol. 01 美少女戦士セーラームーン 1 [Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon 1] Sailor Moon, Vol. 02 Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Editions, #2) Sailor Moon, Vol. 05