Stolen Hearts (A Grace Street Mystery, #1)

Stolen Hearts (Grace Street Mystery #1)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  20 reviews
David Randall used to be a lively, carefree fellow with a talent for finding things. But his perfect family life was derailed when he lost his little daughter Lindsey in a car crash.Thrown out by his second wife and wanting to leave a dead-end detective agency to start his own, he reluctantly accepts his psychic friend Camden’s invitation to stay in his boarding house. Her...more
Paperback, Large Print, 250 pages
Published October 4th 2011 by Poisoned Pen Press

Donna
As I understand it, this is Book 1 of 3 in series., pretty good read, alot of local NC references.
At first I was overwhelmed thinking "another Margaret Maron? "..not quite.

Her characters are great,bat whacky southerners always a pleasure, little details of human nature we can recognize, laugh out aloud and fun to read..

I thought however she put just a bit too much in the mystery blender: we have stolen lockets/misplaced watches,stolen sheet music, murders, ghosts, and evil possession from the de...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
David Randall has fallen on hard times. Haunted by the memory of his daughter's death and kicked out by his second wife, he moves in with his friend Camden temporarily. He is trying to set up his own private investigation agency and takes his first case with Melanie Gentry, who wants him to prove her great-grandmother was the true composed of some American folk music songs.

I found this book slow to get started. There was lots happening, but nothing seemed overly important, and I had a hard time...more
Vivian
Meet David Randall, a private investigator. He's at the end of his second marriage -- his wife has thrown him out. He's also ready to quit working for his small-time, dead-end agency and head out on his own. David has suffered tragedy in the death of his daughter in a car accident a few years earlier and is still grieving and suffering from guilt (he thinks he could have saved her). All this and he's only 30 years of age.

David is sleeping in his car down the street from his second wife's house w...more
Maria
David Randall is living in his car. His second wife has kicked him out, he's employed at a dead end detective agency that he wants to leave. His daughter died in a car accident. He wakes up in his car one night to find the police outside at an elderly musician's house who has been murdered. Randall tries to help investigate and the police tell him to butt out.

Randall gets taken in by his best friend, Camden, who is psychic. His house is full of a rag-tag bunch of people, particularly Katy, whom...more
Danny
This musical mystery set in a languid North Carolina town features a down-on-his luck detective trying to start his own agency. Dealing with personal demons and a failing marriage, David Randall moves into a big house with his psychic friend Camden and an ever-changing roster of interesting (David would say good-for-nothing) house guests. David doesn't want to stay, but his business picks up and he could use the office space the big house provides. While looking into a murder of a man with a not...more
Susan
David Randall is a down-and-out private investigator, who can't have the one thing he wants: his dead daughter alive again. He temporarily moves in with his friend Camden, a psychic whose big house is full of eccentric boarders who can't pay rent. Several people hire Randall, one who wants an unsolved historic mystery solved, but he's also concerned about Camden, whose girlfriend wants to exploit his psychic powers, and who seems to be coming increasingly under the sway of a dead man who is invo...more
Lhenry
I always like it when the psychics are men. This is almost a buddy story, told by the POV of a PI, David Randall, who teams up with his friend Camden to solve a mystery music theft from 60 years before. I liked the twists and turns, the side story about the missing locket, and the lively characters sharing Camden's house. There were a couple of tear jerker moments about the tragedy in David's past which I liked too. Am about a third through the second one and look forward to more
Danny
This was an okay mystery, but just not really for me. It did get the Southern setting down, but the cast was filled with good-looking twenty-somethings, which is fine except that instead of just letting it be the main character spent his time commenting on, describing, and lusting after all the women he passed, and the relationships (or lack thereof) were as much of a focus as the mystery. So...no thanks.
Carole Anderson
I enjoyed this book. I won the 3rd book in the series and the author graciously sent me the first in the series, so I started there. Of course, now I need to get #2 before I read the one I won, which I will as I enjoyed that much. Lighthearted mystery with some paranormal thrown that was a nice touch. I look forward to the future adventures.
Martha
An easy series of light mystery - nothing too gruesome or suspenseful. Likable characters. I enjoy the characters and hope the next books in the series will flesh out more of Kari, David, and Camden. As for the "mystery" I'd figured it out very early on but was interested in how Ms. Tesh wove the story.
Ann
The first in a trilogy... I liked the characters so will read #s 2 and 3.
Kitsey
A great cozy mystery set in North Carolina. A fun and quirky cast of characters. You want to move in to the house on Grace Street and be a part of the group. Can't wait for the next installment of this fun mystery series!
Julie
Pretty interesting first book in a series. Different angle with the psychics. Will try book two.
Patricia
Cotton candy mystery - sweet, but unsatisfying. Despite major tragedy, surprisingly shallow main character. Sidekicks are two dimensional, also. Loads of hoakum taken straight.
Sandy
I enjoyed the strong sense of community among the main characters. I do have a hard time with solutions that come from totally unproven facts and loose coincidences.
Jen Hermes
Good story, but it skips over heard at a time when I'd really like to read more about certain plot lines. Not crazy about the ending either.
Ivy
This book too much going on. The character deveolpment was poor. I don't know why I kept reading it, but I did. Skip this one.
Alice
Contrary to what you might think from the name, this is not a love story. A light-hearted murder mystery.
Kay
It was a light mystery with a little supernatural thrown in. It was OK for a little light reading.
Janet Martin
Not quite 4 stars, but way too much fun for 3. Nice sense of place, appealing characters.
Donna Taylor
Pretty good so far.
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Melissa Mann
Melissa Mann marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Tammy
Tammy added it
Mar 13, 2014
Sharon Peters
Sharon Peters marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jane Tesh lives and writes in Mt. Airy, North Carolina. She was born on New Year’s Eve many years ago in the town of Thomasville, NC, City of the Big Chair. Her family moved to Greensboro and then bought a small farm in the neighboring community of Summerfield, so Jane had all the advantages of city life and farm life. Her first writing efforts included a poem about a flat-footed flea and the holi...more
More about Jane Tesh...
A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1) A Hard Bargain (Madeline Maclin #2) A Little Learning (Madeline Maclin #3) Mixed Signals (A Grace Street Mystery, #2) Now You See It (Grace Street Mystery, #3)