Start by marking “Blacklisted from the PTA” as Want to Read:
Blacklisted from the PTA

Blacklisted from the PTA

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Blacklisted by the PTA is an irreverent look at motherhood and the modern family. From the high chair to a vinyl restaurant booth on date night, Lela Davidson has captured life on the cul-de-sac with a husband, two kids, and the occasional pet. Whether failing at cloth diaper origami or smug in knowledge that her children have never consumed a PopTart, Lela assures parents ...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Jupiter Press (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Blacklisted from the PTA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blacklisted from the PTA

Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingLet's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  LawsonAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea HandlerMy Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler
Funny Women Memoirs
66th out of 204 books — 859 voters
Chronicles of a Full-Time Father by James NinnessPsycho-Mommy by Mira HarlonI Talk Slower Than I Think by C.D. BonnerMotherhood by Erma BombeckDaddy Needs a Drink by Robert  Wilder
Favorite Humorous Books About Parenting
14th out of 44 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Lela Davidson
Mar 29, 2011 Lela Davidson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book, and I think it's pretty good ;)
Michelle Gurr
It was pretty funny overall, not bad for a freebie. However I failed to find humor in her crack about peanut allergies, "Peanuts in public schools are like anthrax in Washington dc. Distribute peanut M&M's to the kids in your charge at the petting zoo and you'll never be asked to organize another field trip." Totally NOT funny to a mother of a son with a peanut allergy. I hate when people don't take food allergies serious. I had to take my son out of public school for this very reason. The r ...more
Moira
This was laugh out loud funny. Light and fun, Lela Davidson is irreverent and sarcastic and says out loud what most of us think (at least once if we're honest). I'd read more by her; and may search to see if I can find her blog.
Peyton Price
As a recuperating PTA lady and suburb dweller, I can say with authority that this insightful and funny book will make you laugh until you need to re-touch your eyeliner. I wish Lela lived next door to me--and you will, too.
Leigh L.
A fun must read for all those not nearly perfect moms out there, just like me, who don't even aspire for perfection...just survival!!
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

Have you ever heard of mommy humor? Well I believe it could be a whole genre of its own and even though I may not entire the realm of motherhood, I still absolutely love this genre - it makes me giggle out loud all of the time.

Lela Davidson takes the reader into her home as a mom and the different things she encounters due to motherhood. I think she did it perfectly without oversharing about her children; they can't be too embarrassed by the things
Abuela Linda
(Despite the fact that Goodreads claims there is no Kindle version, I did download it as one of those cheap, Kindle books). Great summer read. Even though I am a grandmother, I failed when I was a young mother those hurdles such as PTA bake sales (hated 'em), laminating national geographic articles for preschoolers (and having to avoid laminating naked boobs), making elaborate, homemade presents for the teachers, etc. I just couldn't reach those professional standards of the self-appointed profe ...more
Robyn Leatherman
Oh my gosh, Lela is one hilarious lady! Once I opened her book, the only reason I had to stop at page 90 was because my book light batteries croaked off. But by the end of day 2, I'd laughed and giggled my way to the last page.

The book is written in sections with tons of small stories; it is so easy to read because you just have to flip the next page.

Any mom who reads this is going to be able to identify with just about every situation Lela brings up; whether she's joking about family life, th
Kathryn
Some of her anecdotes/stories were entertaining, some were merely okay, and some were down-right annoying. Her writing seemed to annoy me more often than it entertaining. Yes, I enjoyed some of the stories and it made me realize everyone feels or experiences the same things at one time or the other, but there were too many incidents when I wondered if I should just stop reading and forget the whole thing. For this and the fact the book was badly formatted and full of typos, I was not able to giv ...more
Jill
"I just hope that in retrospect, like in the movies, they make them laugh. Because it could be worse. Our troubles could have nothing to do with botched directions and frustrated parental venting. I hope my children someday know that, and realize just how good they had it." pg. 191

"While nothing about motherhood is constant, there are split seconds where everything is in balance. If we are lucky, we grasp those moments and seal them in our hearts before the waves of life wash them away. [break]
Serena
Everyday is on this book.

I was a working girl and then became a wife and now a staying home mom. The author just very well described everyday with children and with husband. I felt like she's been in my head. Highly recommend for easy reading.
Julie
Being that I do not have children, I sometimes hesitate to read books in the "Mommy" genre. I often find that I can not relate to the stories being told but this was not the case with Blacklisted from the PTA.

Lela told her stories in such a way that they didn't alienate the childless. She doesn't assume every one agrees with her feelings or has even experienced the things she discusses.

Her humor and wit is outstanding! The book is fast paced and fairly short. I read it rather quickly.

The only r
Sally Kilpatrick
This is a delightful book of essays full of humor and heart. Great read for any of us mothers who aren't perfect. . . and we know it. I would say I need to use those suggestions for getting Blacklisted from the PTA, but I'm pretty sure I already did. Probably bought something in the wrong color.
I enjoyed it! I needed something light after finishing a heavy read and this did the job. Some good laughs and short chapters that can be read during commercials or in the few minutes before I fall asleep at night.
Bethany Stephens
I'm SO behind in reading both of Lela's books, but finally read them both a few weeks ago. I think knowing her in person and picturing er in many of the situations made it extra funny. Nobody nails a witty retort like Lela, and her tag line "what you were thinking, only funnier" describes her and her books to a T. I recommend them both for light, fun reading and a hilarious take on everyday life... but not the tiresome version so many other writers attempt. Lela is MY kind of mom of the year - t ...more
Sue
Popsugar challenge read a book with a color in the title.
E
Many little essays about the author and her family. Fun read.
Kim
I downloaded this one b/c it was free on the Kindle a few weeks ago and I just recently started (and finished) it. What a great pick-me-up broken up into several short stories of the glamourous life of a mom and wife. It was great just to read one or a few at a time and put it down when the mommy-life calls. Hilarious stories, but I really don't know if they all happened or if she's just a bit hyperbolic with her narration. But it's funny and a few I just couldn't finish without laughing out lou ...more
As always, Lela Davidson makes me laugh!
Lisa
This was a collection of essays about parenthood. It started out kind of lukewarm for me; then, it got better before returning to its tepid state. I was happy to discover the author has lived in both my current state and beloved home state of Arkansas. Must admit, I've never heard of "Boo'ing" someone. And, I do wish she seemed to like animals more than what came across in the books. Oh, and mine was the Kindle version (it wasn't an option to choose from on GR).
Desiré
Very easy to read, small anecdotes from a modern mom's life. I appreciated this author's candor, ability to self-analyze and concise way of presenting her stories. I had a hard time with the layout of the book, it didn't seem to build on itself at all, it was just a random series of events that I found a bit off-putting sometimes. Other than that, I appreciated being about the read about some things that have happened in my life as well, an easy book to relate to.
Ngozi
A great book. I got this book from a giveaway and though a bit slow at times, the book was still amazing. Hilarity in every chapter, a lovable main character and adorable kids. Each story gave you a fun look at parenting and the author has a way of making what i can guess are everyday situations for a parent hilarious and heartwarming. A fun, light read for everyone. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants a good hearty laughs.
Jessica
A collection of stand-alone essays (I'm assuming at least some were posts from her blog) about parenting. Good for when the kids have your brain so fried you can't pay attention to any topic for longer than 2 pages. The description calls it "irreverant," but I'd say it's gentle humor. I prefer comedy books to push the envelope more, but I did laugh out loud a few times.
Melissa
This book was laugh out loud funny. A quick read for any woman whether a new mom or veteran mom. Lela Davidson is someone I want to sit down and trade notes with and enjoy a few martini's with. Lela helps all women understand the our best laid plans may not always turn out the way we hoped and that we aren't the only mom's who loose control every now and then.
Jenn
SUPER FUNNY!!! Lela is witty, entertaining and hooks you from the beginning. One of the better books I've read this year! I can relate to her and her stories so closely, and she gives such a fun take on woman hood and raising your kids - not only exposing the behind the scenes truths to parenthood but giving first hand accounts. I would read this again!
Theresa
I bought this book for free on Amazon. Even though I'm not a mom, I was still very entertained by this book and could relate to it in a way since I have been working as a babysitter for a long time. I did notice several grammatical errors, which bothered me, but all in all, it was a very quick and entertaining read.
Amanda
Humourous, but not laugh-out-loud so. Written by a blogger, reads like a blog. Which is great for blog posts, but not what I'm looking for in a book. I don't mind short anecdotes, but this was just disjointed. Worth a read if you've got the kindle version and are somewhere without a book & wanting something quick & light.
Tracy
When I opened this book for my book club, I was hoping for a funny novel about a quirky mom, or a bunch of funny stories about quirky moms. The author is funny, but this is a series of essays. My personal tastes are that I like to read stories with a plot. The author is good at what she does, it just isn't my type of story.
Trudy
If you have survived the childhood of someone (or more than one) you gave birth to...or if you are in the process of doing so...you will probably find yourself nodding, grinning, laughing, and sighing through Lela Davidson's Blacklisted from the PTA. This was a fun read.

A free Amazon download for Kindle.
Andie
I wish I read this book 8-10 years ago, when my babies were babies. These essays were laugh out loud funny and irreverent. I loved the author's perspective; she wants to be a little crunchier than she is, she is never holier than thou, and she made me laugh during each chapter. Short, but fun, book.
  • Crossroads Road: A Novel
  • Wine in my Sippy Cup
  • Murder Half-Baked
  • This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store
  • Motherhood Realized: An Inspiring Anthology for the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love
  • Jackpot!
  • The Buggy List
  • Please Tell Me I'm on Mute
  • Do or Di
  • She Looks Just Like You: A Memoir of (Nonbiological Lesbian) Motherhood
  • The Do-Over
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • Worth Lying For
  • Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal: Confessions of a Stay-at-Home Dad
  • The Eve Tree: A Novel
  • The Force Is Middling in This One: And Other Ruminations from the Outskirts of the Empire
  • Lights and Shadows (Oregon in Love, #2)
  • The Midget's House
Who Peed on My Yoga Mat? Money, Murder, & Marriage: A Slightly Skewed Celebration of Love (Short Attention Span Singles) Home Improvement Gone Wrong (Short Attention Span Singles) Sexy, Smart, & Search Engine Friendly: Get Found Online Without Losing Your Mind or Wasting Your Tiime

“Despite the ever-increasing responsibilities, there are no promotions in motherhood. You’ll never get an annual review followed by a fat bonus and a healthy raise.” 0 likes