Start by marking “Gone with a Handsomer Man” as Want to Read:
Gone with a Handsomer Man

Gone with a Handsomer Man (Teeny Templeton #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,731 ratings  ·  339 reviews

Take one out-of-work pastry chef . . .

Teeny Templeton believes that her life is finally on track. She’s getting married, she’s baking her own wedding cake, and she’s leaving her troubled past behind. And then? She finds her fiancé playing naked badminton with a couple of gorgeous, skanky chicks.

Add a whole lot of trouble . . .

Needless to say, the wedding is off. Adding

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 10th 2011 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gone with a Handsomer Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone with a Handsomer Man

Heather
This book was perfect. It was just what I was in the mood for. I read through it quickly and have already marked its sequel (which doesn’t come out until April 2012) as “must-read”.
What I loved about the book was that it was pure “chic-lit” but I didn’t feel as though I was losing any brain-cells while reading it. And while I did guess who the murderer was, I didn’t mind at all. I liked watching the story unfold and there were some twists along the way that I did not see coming. I felt like I c
Dana
Though it started out promising, with a jilted heroine chucking peaches at her philandering fiancee, half-way through and just couldn't muster up the will to care anymore. Gone With a Handsomer Man is a book with an identity crisis. It can't decide if it wants to be a mystery or a romance, so it tries to be both and ends up doing neither very well.

For something that should be a quick, snappy, fast-paced read, the plot goes nowhere rather quickly, taking nearly a quarter of the book to get to the
Monica
Another great ER book!! Gone with a handsomer man kept me interested until the very end. This is a mystery, thriller and a little romance mixed in.

Teeny is the main character in this story. Her life is turned upside down when she finds her fiancé playing naked badminton with a couple of girls. Teeny doesn't go running she throws peaches at all of them. She gets arrested and a restraining order is put in place.

While she is not allowed to be near Bing, Teeny receives a text message from him asking
Kaia
I really wanted to like this book which I won in the Good Reads giveaway. There were moments in it where I was taken back to the days when I first starte dating my husband, but only briefly and only in the first part of the book. Then it got a bit ridiculous. There's this girl who seems kinda dumpy and dumb and yet she gets all the guys over these beautiful, intelligent (albeit some murderous)women? Not likely. Coop chose the wrong woman- Ava was my favorite character in the book! I mean, what k ...more
Vickie
On the back of the book, one of the blurbs states that they hope that there is going to be a sequel...I am with the blurb writer! I love mysteries of all kinds and in the tippy top are the ones taking place in the South. There's humor, food and superb characters along with the mystery solving.

I adore Teeny! She is the epitome of my vision of the strong, sassy, git'r'done Southern woman who finds herself in a pickle and goes about doing what needs doing to get out of it.

The dialogue tickled me n
Pamela
I decided to read this book basically because I liked the title and it sounded like a fun read. Well, I've seldom been so disappointed. Parts of it were fun, and I kept with it in the hopes that at least the romance between Teeny and Coop would have a satisfying conclusion. That part was dealt with in the hastiest way possible, and then an abrupt cliffhanger twist left me feeling cheated and manipulated. Obviously, I'm supposed to await the next installment with breathless anticipation. Sorry. Y ...more
Patricia Sanders
This madcap mystery was creative and lots of fun. Full of surprises and surprising characters.
Janet
Linda
All Teeny Templeton Wanted In Life Was True Love, A Set Of Copper Bottom Pots, And A Good Recipe For Red Velvet Cake, But When She Met Bing Laden At Her Aunt's Funeral She Was Leery Of His Attentions But He Wore Hear Down And She Boarded Up The Georgia Peach Farm And Went To Live With And Marry Bing In South Carolina. As An Engagement Present Big Bought Her Baking Classes But When She Got There To Door Was Locked, She Decided To Go Home And Got The Surprise Of Her Life As She Saw Him Naked Playi ...more
Milena
Thank you, First Reads. After receiving 3 appalling books from First Reads, I did not think I will win a good book. I finally got a book worth reading, Gone With a Handsomer Man. It is really fun, hilarious, easy to read book. The characters,Teeny, Coop, Dora, Ava are all interesting and well-developed. I liked all their eccentricities and quirks. The book is a good bland of murder mystery, romance and chick lit, which are all my favorite genres. The recipes throughout the book were a nice touch ...more
Laima
I just found out that I'm a First Reads winner! Can't wait to read this book... sounds like a great story... will certainly post my review when done!

Gone With a Handsomer Man by Michael Lee West
****First Reads review****

Wow! Where do I begin first?!
This novel is a triple threat treat - a mystery, comedy and romance all rolled into one I can't put it down novel!

The main character is Christine (Teeny) Templeton. She loves to bake and is going to marry wealthy Bing. Her baking lessons are cancelled
Milka
I'd never would have picked this book was it not for my book club, but I'm glad I read it because I loved it! How to describe it is the hardest part. Mix a murder mystery (add a few murders as you go), romance, deceit, humor and a whole lot of cake baking, all with a large dose of Southern flair, and it barely gives the book justice.

I'm usually good at guessing mysteries but I never saw this one coming and I loved how things unwrapped, up to the very last sentence. Michael Lee West clearly does
Amy Metz
I loved this book! Michael Lee West writes a southern cozy mystery with a poetic cadence that is mesmerizing, putting the reader smack dab into her southern world with an authenticity and lyrical beauty that, to me, is pure genius. The dialogue, setting, narration, and characters are all wonderfully, genuinely southern, but it's her way of describing things in a poetic fashion that makes me in awe of Michael Lee West's writing ability. I loved the humor, the drama, the mystery, the southernness, ...more
Ellen
Teeny Templeton was preparing for her upcoming wedding. When her cake design class was cancelled, she came home to her fiancé, Bing, playing naked badminton with two women. Obviously, the wedding was off. But then her fiancé was found dead and she was the prime suspect for murder. Teeny's lawyer, Coop, is her extremely hot first love that broke her heart. The calamity of characters and events surrounding Teeny while trying to prove her innocence is nothing short of entertaining.

Gone with a Hand
Jessica
Micheal lee West did a great job of interpretating his characters opions and thoughts. This was a great read and I recomend it to anyone who is looking for a love story with a catch. Little town-girl Tenny has always followed the rules, never diobayed the law, and never went over the set speeding limit. But because of a disapointing return home she is stuck in a very intresting situation that leaves her hurt, confused, and love struck again. Some confusing actions, a few secret kisses, and a lov ...more
Alissa
I expected more from this book, but at the same time I didn't completely dislike it. What saved this book for me was Teeny.
She's like the ditz in horror movies go goes into the basement even after we tell her not to. She's so naive, it's endearing.
It's hard to categorize because the the mystery is not really well developed or even the point of the novel.
The romance is a decent sub-plot, although I kept expecting a twist there. The sex scenes were short and steamy.

Three words to describe this
Kim
STILL READING: I don't usually write a review while still reading a book, but this is exceptional. I am laughing out loud, find the thought process of the characters in tune with myself, and the situations intriguing. It's a little on the edge, but it suits my mood perfectly right now. I'm only around page 50, but thoroughly entranced by this novel. Michale Lee West? She's the best!

So glad my library has more by this author. I'll be reading them all.
___________

Excellent! A mystery to solve, an u
Denya
I won this on a Goodreads giveaway and I thought it was a very cute story. Teeny Templeton is happily engaged to Bing Jackson... That is, until she catches him playing naked badmintion with two other women. In her anger, she climbs a peach tree and throws peaches at her husband to be and the other women. Needless to say, she gets dragged to the police station and is put on probation. So when her ex-fiance is suddenly murdered a few days later, Teeny is their number one suspect. Add in Teeny's ch ...more
Heather
In the beginning, it seemed a little too whimsical for me. O couldn’t take characters named Teeny and Bing seriously. Then when Teeny comes home and finds Bing and two girls playing badminton nude, I almost quit reading. And Bing wasn’t even a politician. But then I got into the mystery and it really held my attention. West’s writing is kind of like Janet Evanovich meets Harley Kozak, both of who blurbed on the cover. It’s a fun, fast read and I highly recommend it and I just bet you won’t be ab ...more
Latisha Bramlett
3.5 stars. Not a bad book. I enjoyed the characters a lot.....Red and Sir were my favs. I'm not sure about the ending. It was a little abrupt for me and there were several things left unresolved. I did enjoy the storyline. I found the book to be funny in parts. It was a quick read. I will have to read the next book at some point.
April
I would give this a 3.5 , it was a cute story. I cant say it held my attention completely, I found myself picking up other books while reading this one. that is not to say it wasnt' interesting. It was.. romance, mystery, humor. It just wasnt' one of those books that blows you away.. definitely a nice light read. :)

I'm so glad I was given the oportunity to read and review it. Thanks good reads.
Cheryl Stephens
I was attracted to this book by its title. I had just finished reading 2 books that were somewhat dark, and I needed a lighthearted read. This book fit the bill. Southern charm and quirky characters.If you are a foodie with a sense of humor you will love this book. Fun book with an unexpected open ending. If there is a sequel I will be reading it.
Linda
I love mysteries.... I love cozies..... This is fun.
I fell in love with the characters. The story was fun and had enough twist and turns to keep me guessing. Since the last page opened up a whole new set of questions, I hope this book is just the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
So glad I was lucky enough to win this book from Goodreads!
Pam
I loved this book! It hit all my favorites notes - mystery, southern fiction, foodie fiction, plucky heroine & zany adventures. The story was entertaining & the the characters endearing, I was a bit surprised at the ending and I truly hope that a sequel is in the works.
Lorraine
This is one of the books I picked up on our trip to Jefferson, Texas. It was an advanced copy. I did enjoy this book. I liked the characters, and much of the "quirkiness" about them. I liked the idea of all the cooking recipes Teeny shared. A fun type read.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This was a funny read. If I had caught my soon to be husband playing in the backyard with 2 other ladies totally naked, I would probably be in prison right now. You gotta read this, this is a totally funny read.
This is the book I won from the goodreads book draws. So far, it is a wonderful, funny and totally engaging story about a woman who finds her fiance cheating one day, and finds him dead another. Really fun read!
Laura Freed
I feel in love with Michael Lee West when I read Crazy Ladies years ago. I'm so excited she's out with a new book, and better yet, a Southern Fiction Foodie book!
Marianne
A funny little mystery that served as a great change from all the drama and tragedy I'd been reading!
Alicia
Loved it!!! Definitely one of my top 5 of all time! So glad I won this book on GoodReads.
  • A Bad Day for Scandal (Bad Day, #3)
  • The Dangerous Edge of Things
  • Murder & Mayhem in Goose Pimple Junction
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #2)
  • Original Sin
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Georgia Bottoms
  • Skating Around the Law (Rebecca Robbins, #1)
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes
  • The Bake-Off
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
  • Lucky Stiff (Lucky O'Toole #2)
  • Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • Fruit of All Evil (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #2)
  • Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
  • Summer in the South
  • Death al Dente (Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #1)
Michael Lee West grew up on the Gulf Coast with a wild tribe of Southern cooks. She lives on a farm near Nashville with her family. Michael is the author of Crazy Ladies, Mad Girls in Love, She Flew the Coop, American Pie, Mad Girls in Love, Mermaids in the Basement, Consuming Passions, and Gone With a Handsomer Man. Her new novel, A Teeny Bit of Trouble, is the second installment in the Teeny Tem ...more
More about Michael Lee West...
Crazy Ladies Mermaids in the Basement She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana Mad Girls in Love A Teeny Bit of Trouble