Start by marking “A Week in Summer: A Short Story” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,192 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
After many happy years of marriage and raising a family, Brian and Kathleen suddenly find themselves a bit lost in life. Midwesterners who’ve never traveled, Kathleen decides that what she and Brian need is a vacation, and with the help of an enthusiastic travel agent she plans a trip to Ireland in search of her roots. In beautiful, quaint Lisdoonvarna, to the couple’s sur ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2011)

Denise Gianelli
May 06, 2016 Denise Gianelli rated it really liked it
A delightful, quick short story....
Colleen
Sep 11, 2015 Colleen rated it really liked it
Maeve Binchy is one of my favorite storytellers. Her stories explore the lives of every day people and every day events. Binchy's stories recognize and highlight the importance of friendship, struggle, relationships and community. Binchy's writing style is unique in the way that characters are developed from the inside---not the outside. You are sad when her characters display human failings; you are elated when they display kindness, heroism, and triumph. Her characters could be the butcher, th ...more
Hannie
Een kort verhaal van Maeve Binchy. Het is op zich wel een grappig verhaal. Het gaat over een echtpaar dat voor het eerst op vakantie gaat. Ze besluiten naar Ierland te gaan. Ik vind het verhaal iets te kort om echt indruk te maken. Net als je er een beetje inzit, is het al uit. In een half uurtje heb je het wel uit. Ik had een iets langer verhaal leuker gevonden. Al is het idee wel origineel uitgewerkt. Toch vind ik het in zijn totaliteit iets tegenvallen. Van Maeve Binchy ben ik meer gewend.
Donna Peake
Aug 29, 2012 Donna Peake rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Even in a short story Maeve reels you in with her characters. A woman who loves her husband & wants to experience a vacation with him. A husband who has lost his way after losing a job in his late 50's. The vacation of a lifetime that brought the two of them together over a poet.
Monica Reents
Jan 11, 2014 Monica Reents rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads
I really enjoyed this very short story. It's about marriage, love, commitment, and supporting each other. It is a lesson we could all learn from. After being married for a few years, both of their children were off to school and camps, and having never taken a holiday together, an opportunity arises that allows them to have A Week in Summer to travel...however, it is only on an agreement that they do this.

Brian has a lot of talents and has had many jobs and therefore, the family has moved a lot
Elle
A Week in Summer: A Short Story

This was a very short story and the first book I've ever read by Maeve Binchy.

The story was about marriage, dedication to work and family, late-in-life parenting, and the lack of vacationing in this family's life.

Kathleen decides that since her husband has been let go of his teaching job, they have a week in summer that they can schedule a vacation; something they've never done before. Kathleen's husband Brian is depressed and really isn't interested in going anyw
Nancy
Aug 20, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maeve-binchcy
I didn't read the whole title, and I expected a book with several short stories. There was only one story, about a couple who were very much in love, but the husband was feeling very low. The couple had never taken a vacation, and the wife thought her husband could be helped by taking one. She could have gone on vacations by herself over the years, but she wanted to go with her husband. She went to a travel agent, who specialized in vacations for older adults. They need up going to Ireland, and ...more
Jay
May 20, 2014 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Binchy narrates this short story in front of an appreciative crowd that starts off well mannered but ends up cracking up with some of her more obtuse lines. The story concerns a couple taking their first vacation in years in Ireland and stumbling into something like a TED conference. Felt a bit more edgy than her normal fare.
Marianne
Jul 01, 2012 Marianne rated it it was amazing
A Week In Summer is an eShort story by Maeve Binchy. Unusually for Binchy, this story is set partly in America, most probably as it is pitched at the US market, and partly in Ireland. The main characters are husband and wife, Brian Merman and Kathy Collins. The story is narrated by Kathy, who longs to go on a holiday with Brian, something that has never occurred in all their married life. When Brian faces a crisis in his career, Kathy somehow convinces him to take a Week in Summer to go Ireland ...more
Regina
Jul 07, 2015 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Maeve Binchy. This is a very short story - you can read it in a half hour - but still with her signature heart and strong characters. 'A Week in Summer' is about a couple in their fifties, with children almost grown. Told from the wife's perspective, it gives you a little window into how a week-long holiday can totally change your outlook.
Clayton Yuen
Dec 29, 2014 Clayton Yuen rated it it was amazing
A short story that is long on meaning .... the meaning of marriage! Beautifully written in 22 pages, experience the reincarnation of a couple's long and dull marriage. Leave it to the Irish to bring back the life in an old and dull marriage.
Debra L. King
Apr 29, 2014 Debra L. King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

In a brief space, Maeve Binchy creates characters who resonate with readers and whose stories touch us. I found myself routing for Brian and Kathy Merman and wishing I could go for "A Week in Summer."
Christa
Jun 28, 2014 Christa rated it really liked it
I will read anything Ms. Binchy wrote. I discovered this yesterday and read it today. It is a very short story but was nice as it is vintage Binchy. Makes me miss her stories even more. Worth your time if you are a fan.
Heidi
Aug 22, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read or listen to many Maeve Binchy books in the coming months in remembrance of a wonderful author. At Audible there are a number of short stories or plays which I had never heard of. My first was A Week in Summer which was read by Maeve herself. Unfortunately, it just did not work for me. It was a humorous look at an American couple who were looking for their way in life after the husband is suspended from teaching due to a remark at a parent/teacher day assembly. Perhaps it was M ...more
Carol Nummy
Aug 31, 2015 Carol Nummy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing and hopeful

I have forever loved Binchy and read every book she ever wrote ,some more than once. I will always miss her compelling stories.
Donna Smith
Not What I Expected

Just a little too short. It ended too soon and left something more to be desired, and there was not
enough time to embrace the characters.
Linda Wulforst
Jul 28, 2014 Linda Wulforst rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing

Disappointing

I was truly disappointed. there was a lot of background but it led nowhere. Not worth it, save your money.
Kabrina
Feb 14, 2016 Kabrina rated it liked it
Shelves: maeve-binchy
I enjoy this author's style but this shirt story falls a little flat for me. It just seemed to fall into place too easily for me to get drawn into the story. However, in just 20 some odd pages, she did manage to make me care about the narrator and her family. Worth reading.
Mady
Jul 14, 2015 Mady rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, 2015
A short story that felt too short. From my point of view, there was not enough character development, and when it was delving into that, it was over.
Amy
Jun 02, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio book read by the author live for the writers' workshop for which it was written. Wonderful humor. A great short read.
Kristy
Jan 24, 2014 Kristy rated it really liked it
She wasn't kidding about it being a short story--it took about 15 minutes to read! A lovely little story about the ups and downs in a marriage and the importance of supporting each other through the good times, and especially through the rough times. Dear Maeve Binchy: You're my favorite!
Becky
Jul 17, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
nice little story...typical of Maeve....bittersweet....one of her last.
Linda W. Howard
Mar 08, 2014 Linda W. Howard rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Maeve Binchy. I've loved every one that I've ever read.
Barbara Bengston
Short story, which was included at the end of "Minding Frankie."
Alisyn
Jul 06, 2014 Alisyn rated it really liked it
My second Maeve Binchy and I think I am falling in love.
Cindy
Mar 18, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
That wasn't a ware of 40 minutes. Entertaining enough.
D.
Mar 26, 2016 D. rated it really liked it
Would have loved this one to be longer
April
Jun 14, 2014 April rated it really liked it
A too short inspirational story.
Kathy Grispon
Feb 12, 2015 Kathy Grispon rated it liked it
Not your typical Mauv Binchey
Wendy E.
Jun 11, 2014 Wendy E. rated it really liked it
Funny! I love all of her work.
  • The Valentine Wedding Dress
  • Finbar's Hotel
  • A Favorite Son
  • Maeve Binchy: The Biography
  • Isobel's Story (Swallowcliffe Hall)
  • Sunlight and Joy: An eBook Original Short Story
  • A Green Journey
  • The World of Rosamunde Pilcher
  • The Way Men Act
  • The Life and Death of Lauren Conway
  • A High Heels Haunting (High Heels, #4.5)
  • Damaged Girls II
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
  • Everything She Thought She Wanted
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
More about Maeve Binchy...