Start by marking “Maggie & Oliver or A Bone of One's Own” as Want to Read:
Maggie & Oliver or A Bone of One's Own

Maggie & Oliver or A Bone of One's Own

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Maggie is always full of questions. But a young maid in a fine lady's house isn't supposed to wonder so much, so one day Maggie is thrown out into the street with only a tiny heart-shaped locket for a keepsake. Who is the lady in the locket?

A little dog named Oliver is pushing his nose along an icy sidewalk searching for his lost mistress, or at least something to eat. No
Published October 25th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

KerriRowland
Apr 20, 2014 KerriRowland rated it liked it
Shelves: rll-528-week-2
A little girl named, Maggie and a dog named Oliver find themselves both homeless and without food for different reasons. Maggie is carrying around a locket with a mystery face inside, while Oliver is carrying around the wonderful memories of his beloved owner Bertie, who passes early in the story. The picture in the locket brings a happy ending for both Maggie and Oliver, whom she renames, Lucky, but not before they go through cold, winter weather and some speed bumps along the way. A story of t ...more
Wrenna
Apr 24, 2016 Wrenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
Jan
Dec 05, 2013 Jan rated it it was amazing
Maggie was a foundling, left on Madame's doorstep as a baby. Now, at age 11, conscripted as Madame's housemaid, Maggie lives with the constant threat of being put out on the streets if she does not do exactly what Madame says. But Maggie has a hard time following the rules, especially the one about staying silent, and when she speaks out at Madame's reception for the Duchess, Madame is angry and finally does what she has threatened -- she puts Maggie out on the streets of Boston, with nothing.

Ol
Brenda
Apr 26, 2012 Brenda rated it it was ok
Set in Boston at the turn of the century, Maggie and Oliver, gives readers a glance at what it might have been like to live as a child in poverty at that time. Readers learn of the time when school wasn't available to all and children were taken advantage of as cheap labor mills.

Oliver's owner has passed away and when her family comes to divide the property, he is left behind. Maggie, never having had a family, is let go from her maid position when she speaks out of turn - she asks entirely too
Linda
Jan 17, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: jfiction, youth
Oliver the dog finds himself homeless when his beloved Bertie dies and Maggie the orphan foundling finds herself on the street when she angers the mistress of the house in which she has been working.
"Pluck, gumption, and optimism stand them both in good stead as they cope with cold, hunger, and loneliness. Things look up when their stories intersect, and our inkling of a happy ending is joyfully fulfilled when Maggie discovers that she is the long-lost granddaughter of the wealthy duchess who ha
Katelyn Gesell
May 12, 2016 Katelyn Gesell rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it was very sad. Both characters were very poor and then they met each other and found each other shelter,and food. At the end they ended up living together because of there relationship.
Miss Amanda
gr 4-6 181 pgs

1904. Boston, MA. 9 year old Maggie is an orphan working as a maid in Madame's house. Maggie is full of dreams and questions which are always getting her into trouble. When she sees the Duchess, Maggie just can't help complimenting her dress even though Madame has forbidden Maggie to speak. Forced to leave the only home she ever knows, Maggie goes in search of a place where she can belong. Along the way, she is joined by the dog Oliver who is also looking for a good home.

Provides s
Frances
Jul 22, 2014 Frances rated it really liked it
Classic Victorian "overcoming" type novel - Claire is going to love this one! But what happened to Danny??
Sharon Lawler
When young Maggie angers her mistress, she finds herself on the street to fend for herself. She finds company in Oliver, a dog whose owner has died. Together they try to survive turn of the century Boston. Survival is not easy, but she meets a boy, Daniel, who offers her tips on not starving or freezing to death. For me the book was event driven, without a lot of background for the various episodes. Child labor, laws, labor laws in general, orphans, child abuse are touched upon, without being to ...more
Shelly
Apr 24, 2014 Shelly rated it liked it
Sweet story--the dog lives. Whew.
Liliana
Feb 05, 2015 Liliana marked it as to-read
Delia
May 07, 2015 Delia rated it really liked it
fun read for Me and Willow
Diana
Jan 15, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it
Historical fiction, details of poverty and hunger and conditions in the 1900's when children worked. The dog makes it a better story.
Mari
Nov 08, 2014 Mari rated it it was ok
Pros:
Sweet
Good for kids who want to read a "rags to riches" orphan story
Plus, an animal main character!
I'd give it to third graders and up

Cons:
Predictable
I found the dog's thoughts to be not-always-believable

I probably wouldn't randomly recommend this title, but I would give it to those kids who want to read every orphan or dog book they can get their hands on. It was fine, just not a personal favorite.
Martha
Rather predictable (and unlikely, but humanized dogs are already outside the realm of realism) story. The portrayal of Daniel, however, is more astute than would be expected in this kind of story--I would have liked to know what happened to him after Maggie's fairy tale comes true...Children will probably enjoy the child-dog friendship and happy resolution.
Joan Gagan
Mar 19, 2012 Joan Gagan rated it liked it
I really cared about the characters. It reminded me of Oliver, but how many children know that story. It may be unique and different for them. My only concern is how fast this got wrapped up with a very convenient pairing with her grandmother in the end. It wrapped up so fast, I was left wondering what became of her "friend" Daniel.
Sharie
Jan 13, 2016 Sharie rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-level-es
Fantastic little book. You keep waiting for the 'and' of the title. It comes together nicely. Although we love pat endings, it's appropriate that the mean boy doesn't suddenly get all things given to him. Might make for a nice follow-up...how to reform someone who's been given a bad lot in life.
Debbie
Mar 31, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story about a little girl who was a servant, but who was dismissed and sent out to live in the street. It is also the story of a dog who's owner died. The dog met the little girl and through their adventures they were both able to find a home.
JennLynn
Feb 21, 2012 JennLynn rated it liked it
A gentle story about an orphaned girl and an orphaned dog who find each other and a home in early 1900's Boston. Although they have sorrows and a few scrapes along the way, the ending is miraculously happy. Rather predictable but a sweet story for younger readers.
Shoshana
3.5

I'd recommend for ages 8-10, or even younger as a read-aloud or for an advanced reader.

No, it's not the most realistic story in the world, but it's cute, and I really liked the historical aspect. And it's set in Boston. So whatevs.
Kathy
May 17, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Very reminiscent of Frances Hodgson Burnett's "Little Princess", where a poor, friendless, put-upon little girl suffers through her oppresion to become unimaginably rich. This adds in, however, the parallel story of a poor dog.
Kristy McRae
Feb 24, 2012 Kristy McRae rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet story about a girl and a dog who both go through some rough times, but end up finding each other, and finding a family. I read this with my daughter, who is 5, and we both really enjoyed it!
Melanie Swider
Loved how this book told two stories, Maggie's and Oliver's, and connected them at the end! I am so glad one of my students recommended it to me!
Tracie
Dec 26, 2011 Tracie rated it liked it
Shelves: elem, historical
Sweet, predictable story about an orphaned girl and an orphaned dog who find each other and a home to share in early twentieth-century Boston.
Deborah
Nov 22, 2011 Deborah added it
Shelves: middle-grade
Lovely story, with the feel of a classic – especially with Jennifer Thermes's soft, old-fashionned illustrations.
Lori
Mar 27, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
A child and a dog who are orphaned find each other after trials and tribulations. Realistic and heartwarming.
Lynda Shoup
Curricular tie ins - Boston, industrial revolution, dogs.

2 -3 grade
Shawn
Feb 29, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it
A rags-to-riches adventure story set in Victorian Boston. Gr. 3-5.
Nora
Nora rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2016
  • Stop the Train! (Cissy Sissney, #1)
  • Me & Jack
  • Sylvia & Aki
  • Soldier Bear
  • A Diamond in the Desert
  • Lara's Gift
  • Around the World in 100 Days
  • National Geographic Kids Chapters: Dog Finds Lost Dolphins: And More True Stories of Amazing Animal Heroes
  • Heroes of the Surf
  • Duke
  • The King of Mulberry Street
  • King of the Mound: My Summer with Satchel Paige
  • The Cats in the Doll Shop
  • Sisters and Brothers: Sibling Relationships in the Animal World
  • Ivy Takes Care
  • Ghost Girl: A Blue Ridge Mountain Story
  • Daniel at the Siege of Boston 1776 (Boys of Wartime)
  • All the Way Home
Valerie Hobbs is the author of many award winning novels for young adults including Sonnys War, Tender, and How Far Would You Have Gotten If I Hadnt Called You Back, for which she was designated a Flying Start author by Publishers Weekly in 1996. Hobbs was the winner of the 1999 PEN/Norma Klein award for an emerging voice of literary merit among American writers of childrens fiction and the Arizon ...more
More about Valerie Hobbs...