Start by marking “Maggie & Oliver or A Bone of One's Own” as Want to Read:
Maggie & Oliver or A Bone of One's Own

Maggie & Oliver or A Bone of One's Own

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Maggie is always full of questions. But a young maid in a fine lady’s house isn’t supposed to wonder so much, so one day Maggie is thrown out into the street with only a tiny heart-shaped locket for a keepsake. Who is the lady in the locket?

A little dog named Oliver is pushing his nose along an icy sidewalk searching for his lost mistress, or at least something to eat. No
Published October 25th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Maggie & Oliver or A Bone of One's Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maggie & Oliver or A Bone of One's Own

KerriRowland
A little girl named, Maggie and a dog named Oliver find themselves both homeless and without food for different reasons. Maggie is carrying around a locket with a mystery face inside, while Oliver is carrying around the wonderful memories of his beloved owner Bertie, who passes early in the story. The picture in the locket brings a happy ending for both Maggie and Oliver, whom she renames, Lucky, but not before they go through cold, winter weather and some speed bumps along the way. A story of t ...more
Jan
Maggie was a foundling, left on Madame's doorstep as a baby. Now, at age 11, conscripted as Madame's housemaid, Maggie lives with the constant threat of being put out on the streets if she does not do exactly what Madame says. But Maggie has a hard time following the rules, especially the one about staying silent, and when she speaks out at Madame's reception for the Duchess, Madame is angry and finally does what she has threatened -- she puts Maggie out on the streets of Boston, with nothing.

Ol
Brenda
Set in Boston at the turn of the century, Maggie and Oliver, gives readers a glance at what it might have been like to live as a child in poverty at that time. Readers learn of the time when school wasn't available to all and children were taken advantage of as cheap labor mills.

Oliver's owner has passed away and when her family comes to divide the property, he is left behind. Maggie, never having had a family, is let go from her maid position when she speaks out of turn - she asks entirely too
Linda
Oliver the dog finds himself homeless when his beloved Bertie dies and Maggie the orphan foundling finds herself on the street when she angers the mistress of the house in which she has been working.
"Pluck, gumption, and optimism stand them both in good stead as they cope with cold, hunger, and loneliness. Things look up when their stories intersect, and our inkling of a happy ending is joyfully fulfilled when Maggie discovers that she is the long-lost granddaughter of the wealthy duchess who ha
Sharie
Feb 07, 2014 Sharie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: s14
Fantastic little book. You keep waiting for the 'and' of the title. It comes together nicely. Although we love pat endings, it's appropriate that the mean boy doesn't suddenly get all things given to him. Might make for a nice follow-up...how to reform someone who's been given a bad lot in life.
Miss Amanda
gr 4-6 181 pgs

1904. Boston, MA. 9 year old Maggie is an orphan working as a maid in Madame's house. Maggie is full of dreams and questions which are always getting her into trouble. When she sees the Duchess, Maggie just can't help complimenting her dress even though Madame has forbidden Maggie to speak. Forced to leave the only home she ever knows, Maggie goes in search of a place where she can belong. Along the way, she is joined by the dog Oliver who is also looking for a good home.

Provides s
Frances
Classic Victorian "overcoming" type novel - Claire is going to love this one! But what happened to Danny??
Sharon Lawler
When young Maggie angers her mistress, she finds herself on the street to fend for herself. She finds company in Oliver, a dog whose owner has died. Together they try to survive turn of the century Boston. Survival is not easy, but she meets a boy, Daniel, who offers her tips on not starving or freezing to death. For me the book was event driven, without a lot of background for the various episodes. Child labor, laws, labor laws in general, orphans, child abuse are touched upon, without being to ...more
Shelly
Sweet story--the dog lives. Whew.
Mari
Pros:
Sweet
Good for kids who want to read a "rags to riches" orphan story
Plus, an animal main character!
I'd give it to third graders and up

Cons:
Predictable
I found the dog's thoughts to be not-always-believable

I probably wouldn't randomly recommend this title, but I would give it to those kids who want to read every orphan or dog book they can get their hands on. It was fine, just not a personal favorite.
Martha
Rather predictable (and unlikely, but humanized dogs are already outside the realm of realism) story. The portrayal of Daniel, however, is more astute than would be expected in this kind of story--I would have liked to know what happened to him after Maggie's fairy tale comes true...Children will probably enjoy the child-dog friendship and happy resolution.
Joan Gagan
I really cared about the characters. It reminded me of Oliver, but how many children know that story. It may be unique and different for them. My only concern is how fast this got wrapped up with a very convenient pairing with her grandmother in the end. It wrapped up so fast, I was left wondering what became of her "friend" Daniel.
Debbie
This was a good story about a little girl who was a servant, but who was dismissed and sent out to live in the street. It is also the story of a dog who's owner died. The dog met the little girl and through their adventures they were both able to find a home.
JennLynn
A gentle story about an orphaned girl and an orphaned dog who find each other and a home in early 1900's Boston. Although they have sorrows and a few scrapes along the way, the ending is miraculously happy. Rather predictable but a sweet story for younger readers.
Shoshana
3.5

I'd recommend for ages 8-10, or even younger as a read-aloud or for an advanced reader.

No, it's not the most realistic story in the world, but it's cute, and I really liked the historical aspect. And it's set in Boston. So whatevs.
Kathy
Very reminiscent of Frances Hodgson Burnett's "Little Princess", where a poor, friendless, put-upon little girl suffers through her oppresion to become unimaginably rich. This adds in, however, the parallel story of a poor dog.
Kristy McRae
This was a very sweet story about a girl and a dog who both go through some rough times, but end up finding each other, and finding a family. I read this with my daughter, who is 5, and we both really enjoyed it!
Melanie Swider
Loved how this book told two stories, Maggie's and Oliver's, and connected them at the end! I am so glad one of my students recommended it to me!
Tracie
Sweet, predictable story about an orphaned girl and an orphaned dog who find each other and a home to share in early twentieth-century Boston.
Deborah
Nov 22, 2011 Deborah added it
Shelves: middle-grade
Lovely story, with the feel of a classic – especially with Jennifer Thermes's soft, old-fashionned illustrations.
Lori
A child and a dog who are orphaned find each other after trials and tribulations. Realistic and heartwarming.
Lynda Shoup
Curricular tie ins - Boston, industrial revolution, dogs.

2 -3 grade
Shawn
A rags-to-riches adventure story set in Victorian Boston. Gr. 3-5.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Bookworm15
Bookworm15 marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Zephyr
Zephyr marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
April
April added it
Nov 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sylvia & Aki
  • Stop the Train! (Cissy Sissney, #1)
  • Duke
  • A Dog's Way Home
  • Around the World in 100 Days
  • Emily's Fortune
  • Secrets at Sea
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
Valerie Hobbs is the author of many award winning novels for young adults including Sonnys War, Tender, and How Far Would You Have Gotten If I Hadnt Called You Back, for which she was designated a Flying Start author by Publishers Weekly in 1996. Hobbs was the winner of the 1999 PEN/Norma Klein award for an emerging voice of literary merit among American writers of childrens fiction and the Arizon ...more
More about Valerie Hobbs...
Sheep Defiance Minnie McClary Speaks Her Mind Anything But Ordinary Letting Go of Bobby James: Or How I Found My Self of Steam