Hand in the Till

Hand in the Till

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Comic Irish writing at its best --Colin Quinn, comedian. The Troubles of Northern Ireland are history, and in the city of Derry, former foes Catholics and Protestants are living happily side by side. Or are they? Hardened mother of seven unruly thugs, Fionnuala Flood, gets more than she bargains for when she buys a case on the black market that contains not canned potatoes...more
Published January 18th 2011 by iUniverse.com (first published January 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hand in the Till, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand in the Till

Kate
Gerald Hansen hits the jackpot again with another outstanding piece of black comedy genius, delivered in his own unique style. This is the follow up to An Embarrassment of Riches. The legendary Fionnuala Flood and her extended family once more emblazon every page with their misguided antics and comedy of errors. Right from the off we know we're in for an explosive ride when we learn that tins of knock-off vegetables are actually filled with Semtex. Hansen not only has a rare talent for witty and...more
Shannon
I won this through Goodreads (and am late in adding it to my queue...yipes!) and absolutely can't wait to get started! I've got a couple books to get through and then I can read this one. It looks like it will be a lot of fun!

7/20/2011 I'm finally reading this one...yay! So far I can't tell you how many times I've laughed out loud. I can hear the characters (Hansen is extraordinarily skilled at writing an Irish brogue phonetically) and I admit that, regardless of how wrong they all are, I'm root...more
Kristen
I was happy to win this as a First Reads copy because I do not usually dabble in this area of fiction. The book started out pretty slow (perhaps it is because I did not read the precursor, Embarrassment of Riches), but then become quite funny and builds to a plot-racing finish. It certainly seems as if there could be a third installment, too, given the ending. Hansen is darkly hilarious and I look forward to a third book with these vile characters!
Kama
It was a fast read. It wasn't really what I was expecting, but it was a good read. I didn't find it funny at all. I actually thought it was sad. It did get me thinking about things, which is always a bonus when reading a book. I wish I'd read the first book.
Ali
I liked it. The ending was better than I was expecting; certainly more hopeful than the first book. Just as ridiculous, but also less so. I will read the third book, after a break!
Angie
Somewhat humorous but mostly sad glimpse of a poor Catholic (green/coke) family's life in L'Derry, Ireland. With a derogatory term every other line, it is not for the faint of heart. In the author's defense, this family hates everyone equally.

Probably will not read more by this author, but it was only about $2 on the Kindle.

My favorite line came from 11-year-old Padraig after his mother asks why his little sister's face is bruised and cut:
"An Orange bitch clattered seven shades of shite out of h...more
Cindi Chase
Once I got past the language and figured what was being said with the words and accents, I thought the book was funny.
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Jun 01, 2014
Nancy Osberg-otrembiak
Nancy Osberg-otrembiak marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Chris N
Chris N marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Sandra Russell
Sandra Russell marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Lorie Myers
Lorie Myers marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Emily Jackson
Emily Jackson marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Katbyrdie
Katbyrdie marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Sandi E
Sandi E marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Carol Savedra
Carol Savedra marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013

Author pic by Marcin Kaliski
More about Gerald Hansen...
An Embarrassment of Riches Fleeing the Jurisdiction Best Served Frozen Hand In The Till