Start by marking “Action Research: Improving Schools and Empowering Educators” as Want to Read:
Action Research: Improving Schools and Empowering Educators

Action Research: Improving Schools and Empowering Educators

3.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Written for pre-and in-service educators, this Third Edition of Craig A. Mertler's Action Research: Improving Schools and Empowering Educators introduces the process of conducting one's own classroom- or school-based action research in conjunction with everyday instructional practices and activities. The text provides educators with the knowledge and skills necessary to de ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Sage Publications (CA)

To ask other readers questions about Action Research, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Action Research

Brooke
Jun 18, 2014 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graduate-school
Action research is not something I was familiar with before I took the course and read this book. My action research from this semester focused on increasing motivation and reading achievement for boys. I learned so much that will help other teachers in my school as well. I highly recommend it to educators who want to make positive changes in their classrooms and schools.
Matthew
Jun 25, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: master-s-degree
I read this book as a part of my requirements for my Master's degree in Educational Leadership and Administration.

It's hard to rate a book like this one because it is not intended to be read for fun or for pleasure. Mertler does an excellent job at laying out all of the parts of action research and does a commendable job at making it as straightforward as possible. I do believe that most teachers would not be able to get through this book.

Having said that, I believe this book is and will contin
Emily Klein
Aug 04, 2012 Emily Klein rated it liked it
Shelves: education
I appreciated Mertler's focus on action research as whole school reform. But the extensive focus on quantitative measures worried me a bit as it takes away from the importance of holistic measures used in action research. As well, few teachers are going to be able to do many of the statistical analyses necessary. However, a very useful text in other respects and worth reading.
Trease
Aug 04, 2013 Trease rated it really liked it
Shelves: ltcy504
I found this book useful regarding planning and implementing Action Research Plans. I had to create my first ARP this semester and without this book it would have been much more difficult. I recommend it for anyone interested in Action Research.
Sherri
Aug 13, 2012 Sherri rated it really liked it
This book is written very clearly. Action research and collecting both qualitative and quantitative data began to make a lot of sense. It was very helpful as I began to work on my thesis.
Kaitlin
Jul 20, 2011 Kaitlin rated it liked it
If you're planning on conducting an action research project, this is the book for you. Lots of information, very easy to read through, with great step-by-step directions.
Sherry
Jun 19, 2012 Sherry rated it it was amazing
What every classroom teacher needs to do, at least once, in their career.
Alli B
Oct 11, 2012 Alli B rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up
This book does what it is supposed to, but OMG booooooring.
Zack
May 31, 2012 Zack rated it it was ok
Boring textbook for a boring class.
Aryn Lipnicki
Aryn Lipnicki rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2016
Megan Smith
Megan Smith rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2016
Kelly Leonhardt
Kelly Leonhardt rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2016
Garret Rose
Garret Rose rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Ashley Petersen
Ashley Petersen is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2016
Kathleen Meehan
Kathleen Meehan is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2016
WinnieTheSioux
WinnieTheSioux is currently reading it
May 24, 2016
Nivea
Nivea rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Jennifer Duell
Jennifer Duell rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Patrick Redlin
Patrick Redlin rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Jessika
Jessika marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Lorna Hall minihan
Lorna Hall minihan marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Keith George
Keith George marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
Samuel Biratu
Samuel Biratu marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Lauren
Lauren added it
Feb 06, 2016
Douglas J Elsass
Douglas J Elsass rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
MELISSA Shields
MELISSA Shields rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016