Action Research: Improving Schools and Empowering Educators

Action Research: Improving Schools and Empowering Educators

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Written for pre-and in-service educators, this Third Edition of Craig A. Mertler s Action Research: Improving Schools and Empowering Educators introduces the process of conducting one s own classroom- or school-based action research in conjunction with everyday instructional practices and activities. The text provides educators with the knowledge and skills necessary to de...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Sage Publications (CA)

To ask other readers questions about Action Research, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Action Research

Brooke
Action research is not something I was familiar with before I took the course and read this book. My action research from this semester focused on increasing motivation and reading achievement for boys. I learned so much that will help other teachers in my school as well. I highly recommend it to educators who want to make positive changes in their classrooms and schools.
Matthew
I read this book as a part of my requirements for my Master's degree in Educational Leadership and Administration.

It's hard to rate a book like this one because it is not intended to be read for fun or for pleasure. Mertler does an excellent job at laying out all of the parts of action research and does a commendable job at making it as straightforward as possible. I do believe that most teachers would not be able to get through this book.

Having said that, I believe this book is and will contin...more
Emily Klein
I appreciated Mertler's focus on action research as whole school reform. But the extensive focus on quantitative measures worried me a bit as it takes away from the importance of holistic measures used in action research. As well, few teachers are going to be able to do many of the statistical analyses necessary. However, a very useful text in other respects and worth reading.
Trease
I found this book useful regarding planning and implementing Action Research Plans. I had to create my first ARP this semester and without this book it would have been much more difficult. I recommend it for anyone interested in Action Research.
Sherri
This book is written very clearly. Action research and collecting both qualitative and quantitative data began to make a lot of sense. It was very helpful as I began to work on my thesis.
Kaitlin Rose
If you're planning on conducting an action research project, this is the book for you. Lots of information, very easy to read through, with great step-by-step directions.
Sherry
What every classroom teacher needs to do, at least once, in their career.
Alli B
This book does what it is supposed to, but OMG booooooring.
Zack
Boring textbook for a boring class.
Donia Amir
Donia Amir marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Pri Yanka
Pri Yanka marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Andie
Andie added it
Feb 19, 2014
Tyler
Tyler is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2014
Madhusudhan Doosa
Madhusudhan Doosa marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
ซาซ่า
ซาซ่า marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Artemis Wei
Artemis Wei marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Introduction to Educational Research (with Myeducationlab) Action Research: Teachers as Researchers in the Classroom Interpreting Standardized Test Scores: Strategies for Data-Driven Instructional Decision Making Classroom Assessment: A Practical Guide for Educators Advanced and Multivariate Statistical Methods 4th Edition