Start by marking “Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3; Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)

Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite #3)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,202 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
The third book in the hilarious and horrifying national bestselling anthology series from the Horror Writers Association--a frightfest of sidesplitting stories from such "New York Times" bestselling authors as Jim Butcher, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Heather Graham, L.A. Banks, Kelley Armstrong, and many more! Horror fiction explores the dark side of human nature, often pushing the ...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lite III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lite III

Mark
Jun 03, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope that admitting I bought this book just to read Jim Butcher's latest Harry Dresden short story doesn't make me a bad person. Besides, it's a Bigfoot story. I'll check out the other authors too.
Kathy Davie
Jan 20, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, funny
Third in the Blood Lite series of humorous and/or creepy horror short stories.

Be sure to read the authors' bios at the end. There's one in particular that's an absolute riot!

Series:
"I was a Teenage Bigfoot" (Dresden Files, 7.25)
"V Plates" (Women of the Otherworld, 12.5???)

The Stories
Jim Butcher's "I was a Teenage Bigfoot" finds Harry Dresden checking on a friend's son in boarding school who is supposedly suffering from mono…hah! Still, Harry does find a friend.

This story is the first of a trilog
bella
Jun 07, 2012 bella rated it it was amazing
I'm not one for short stories. Usually I buy anthologies to read one or two stories in them. Usually its one of my favorite authors with their favorite series (in this case Jim Butcher and his Dresden files series) and I will put the rest of the stories away for a rainy day.

When Jim Butcher joked on April Fools Day about a bigfoot series, I got excited even though I knew it was a April Fools Day joke. Luckily for his avid readers it is going to be a short story series, with the first being relea
Cyn Armistead
This anthology is supposed to be humorous horror. I have a message for Kevin J. Anderson: grossness is not nearly enough for humor. I hope volume two was funnier (I haven't read it yet), but if it was as bad as this one, the series should have been a singleton.

The entire reason I skipped ahead to volume three is "I Was a Teenage Bigfoot" by Jim Butcher. Happily, it was worth reading. There was some humor, as is the case with all of the Dresden Files fiction. It wasn't the funniest of Butcher's s
Amy
Jul 05, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Ok, I admit that I only read the short story by Jim Butcher. It was a great story and did not disappoint. I loved the Bigfoot characters! I am sure I will get around to reading the other stories soon. I will come back and amend my review at that time.
Riju Ganguly
Aug 23, 2014 Riju Ganguly rated it it was ok
I had bought this book ONLY for the story of Jim Butcher, that hadn’t been published anywhere else. As luck happens, except that story, and one by Kelly Armstrong, and a classic one from the golden oldie Mike Resnick, rest of the stories were unadulterated crap. Somebody needs to drop the editor (and half of these authors) into the world of Lizzie Borden, and after providing said strong-willed heroine with a sufficiently sharp & hefty axe, let things take their own (and undoubtedly hilarious ...more
Critique de Book
Jul 29, 2012 Critique de Book rated it liked it
Title: Blood Lite III: Aftertaste
Author: Anthology
Genre: Horror
Publisher: Pocket Books (May 29, 2012)
Available: $7.99
Rating: 3 stars
Rater: Lauri

From the publisher:
Sink your teeth into a smorgasbord of macabre morsels laced with horrific humor in this all-new Blood Lite collection! Whether you shriek with laughter or scream in fear . . . well, that’s simply a matter of taste.

What I liked: I love horror, and bought this book to read during my recent travels. And some of the stories are great. Ji
Jenn
Jun 16, 2012 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Another awesome representation from The Horror Writers Association. This novel includes some of the hippest paranormal writers of our present era: the dearly-departed LA Banks, Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, Jeff Strand, Heather Graham and Sherrilyn Kenyon. There are also quality stories from many unknown authors as well. I have a tendency to skip stories that don't hold my interest and I am happy to say that I read every single tale in here. There were quite a few that made me laugh out loud wh ...more
Kat
Feb 22, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it
Basic Premise: This short story collection asks contributors to combine horror and humor in their stories.

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!

I don't think I've ever read a better batch of short fiction. From start to finish, all of the stories were excellent. There were only a few authors on the list that I recognized (Jim Butcher has a Dresden short here), but that really didn't affect any of the quality. I teetered on giving this book five stars because it impressed me so much.

I'd review individual s
Melodie
Sep 07, 2015 Melodie rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
I am done with these anthologies after this! Giving it 2 EXTREMELY generous stars solely on the merit of the first story, I WAS A TEENAGE BIGFOOT, by Jim Butcher. Love me some Harry Dresden and Butcher has the art of the short story down to a science. He KNOWS how you do it. Quite obviously, most of the other people who contributed to this book..DON'T! Have no idea how many of these stories I started and just had to give them up because they were SO bad! Don't waste your time!
Mommacat
Jan 31, 2016 Mommacat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, horror
The trouble with books like this one is the cover. Most hard core dark fiction/horror lovers like me and the people I know see the "tribute" to the authors on the cover and never look past those "big" names. And the people that buy the book based on the huge fonts and write reviews saying things similar to: I only bought this for so-and-so's story; all the rest are dogpoo.

Well, I'm here for the rest of the authors. I'm gonna name your names and tell people that your stories kicked doggy butt!

LIS
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Otherworld Stories 10.5, V Plates

Nick, Reese, and Noah short in which Nick and Reese take Noah to a "brothel" to lose his "V Plates." Let me just say it doesn't work out . . .
Honza Prchal
Aug 10, 2015 Honza Prchal rated it really liked it
The "lite" in the title comes from the humour by this collection of horror writers.
It is an easy ready, but highly entertaining, I got into it for the Harry Dresden (author, Jim Butcher) story which wasn't serialized elsewhere, and stayed for the entertainment value.
Granted, the stories were a lot like The Daily Show, lots of glib social reinforcement without too much deep thought, but every now and then a deep thought peeks through AND these people are smarter and about as funny as John Stewart
Deborah
"Typecast" Jeff Ryan
"Making the Cut" Mike Resnick Lezli Robyn
"Acknowledgements" Will Ludwigse
Lynn
Today's post is on 'Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste' edited by Kevin J Anderson. It is published by Pocket books which is an imprint of Simon & Schuster. It is 513 pages long with 30 authors contributing to the stories. The intended reader is adult and young adult horror lovers but most of the stories are funny with horror elements. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Sink you teeth into a smorgasbord of macabre morsels laced with horrific humor in the all-new Blood Lite collection!
Nick
Emily Leathers
Picked this up for the Harry Dresden story. Horror really isn't my thing, so you should take all of my ratings with a grain of salt.

Jim Butcher's I was a Teenage Bigfoot - Nothing special. Just had something lacking, perhaps because it was so very short that Butcher didn't have time to pull together his usual interesting mesh of story. Still, I enjoyed getting to meet River Shoulders and Irwin again (the only reason this gets a 3 (okay) instead of a 2 (don't bother). (3)

Joel A. Sutherland's Bloo
Denise
Jun 23, 2012 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's probably not fair if me to review the whole hook when I only read two of the stories in it, but let me review those two stories for you. The first, "V Plates" by Kelley Armstrong was very entertaining. I prefer short stories where the characters are those I already know and have some connection with. This story fits that criteria beautifully. I knew each of the characters and already like them. The poor, young werewolf being peer-pressured into losing his virginity and ending up at a brothe ...more
Lindsey Goddard
Aug 03, 2013 Lindsey Goddard rated it really liked it
Blood Lite III is a great collection of humorous horror, absolutely PACKED with fiction (30 stories in all!) Some of my favorite were:
Blood-Red Greens by Joel A. Sutherland. This story follows two senior golf buddies who take their weekly golf game VERY seriously, even after the zombie apocalypse.
Put On A Happy Face by Christopher Golden. Exploring the dark side of the circus, this clown story will give you the heeby jeebies.
The Great Zombie Invasion of 1979 by J.G. Faherty. Great characterizat
David Caldwell
This is a collection of 30 urban fantasy stories usually with a lighter atmosphere than your normal urban fantasy story.

First up is Jim Butcher's I Was a Teenage Bigfoot.Harry Dresden checks in on the teenage son of Bigfoot(please don't call him a squatch)when he becomes ill mysteriously.

Even a zombie apocalypse won't stop these old golfing buddies from playing a round in Blood-Red Greens by Joel A. Sutherland.

Nothing could go wrong taking 2 teenage werewolves to a brotel,could it? Find out in V
Susan
"I Was a Teenage Bigfoot" Jim Butcher (Harry Dresden) re-read in Working for Bigfoot 4/27/2015 re-read aloud to Lisa 9/24/2015
"V-Plates" Kelley Armstrong (werewolves of the Otherworld) RE-read 8/14/2015 (collected in Led Astray)

"Blood-Red Greends" Joel A. Sutherland (Zombies + golf)
"Put on a Happy Face" Christopher Golden
"Devils Contract" E.S. Magill
"9/10 of the Law" Eric James Stone
"Scrumptious Bone Bread" Jeff Strand ("I'll grind your bones to make my bread)
"Let That Be A Lesson To You" Mark O
Reggie
Nov 21, 2012 Reggie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: UF fans, humorous horror fans
Overall, this anthology was wonderful. Whether it was the short stories from larger 'verses, flash fictions that had surprising and amusing endings, or short stories by authors I'd never read, this collection had a bit of something for whatever mood I was in. There was an unexpectedly gruesome-yet-hilarious story about zombie golfing, a wonderful one-shot in the Dresden 'verse (which, despite disliking the Dresden books and only knowing the 'verse from the television show, I thoroughly enjoyed), ...more
Suzan
Nov 13, 2013 Suzan rated it liked it
Recommended to Suzan by: suzi1811@fsmail.net
I enjoyed some of the stories more then others which is why only a 3 star rating. I really enjoyed Kelley Armstrong's story 'V-Plates' that made me laugh out loud and it was great seeing Nick, Noah and Reese getting centerstage in a story of their own. I had to laugh at them trying to help Noah lose his virginity and the trouble they ended up in! I also really enjoyed Jim Butcher's story 'I was a teenage bigfoot' as it was nice to see him in a light hearted story where he got an easy case for a ...more
Danielle
Feb 02, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it
My rating is for "V Plates" by Kelley Armstrong. I really enjoyed seeing a story centre around Nick. Seeing him in the father role with Reese and Noah is really great and the story is quite funny. Great, quick read!
Venessaa ♡☮♫
Blood Lite III: Aftertaste follows the steps of the first two books.
It is a book plus short stories from different authors out there.
Not bad, but I got kinda confused since there were a lot of stories.
Connie Easlick
I really didn't think that most of the stories in this were going to be about zombies!
I am almost halfway through and most so far were zombie stories. I don't like zombies in general and don't like all the gore.
I did, however love the funny short about golfing during a zombie apocolypse! It was great!
I loved some of the stories and liked some of them. Very few did I not like for having zombies.
I'd like to visit the house in For Sale!
Mannequin was pretty cool and scary.
The Steeple People was rea
Anthony
Nov 04, 2014 Anthony rated it liked it
There were quite a few interesting ideas in this anthology, but the majority weren't ones I would say belonged in "an anthology of humorous horror stories"; a hard blend to accomplish. I only found about a half dozen of the stories to be actually funny.
Michelle Tempted By Books
I suspect I will eventually go back and read the rest of these but for now I have only read two of the stories in this anthology.

A Day in the Life by Sherrilyn Kenyon is about Editor Elliot Larson who is evidently being haunted by authors from her past. I found the story kind of confusing and the twist at the end left me shaking my head. I am still not really sure what happened.

V Plates by Kelley Armstrong is the story of Reese and Nick taking Noah to a brothel to get rid of his virginity. Thin
Tyler
May 25, 2014 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Adding this to my shelf because it was the only entry I could find for the Dresden Files short "I Was A Teenage Bigfoot".
Hikachi
Apr 28, 2015 Hikachi rated it it was ok
I don't know why... but I only like a handful stories from this anthology. Some are great, but there are some that obviously forcing the elements of being nonsensical and horror-ish...
Dresden Files: I was a Teenage Bigfoot 6 105 Jun 02, 2012 06:11PM
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Love Hurts (The Dresden Files, #11.5)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • Recruit (Otherworld Stories, #9.6)
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • By Blood We Live
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...

Blood Lite (3 books)
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)