The Obama Nation

The Obama Nation

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  73 reviews

In this thoroughly researched and documented book, the #1 New York Times bestselling co-author of Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry explains why the extreme leftism of an Obama presidency would leave the United States weakened, diminished and divided, why Obama must be defeated -- and how he can be.

Barack Obama stepped onto the nationa...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Threshold Editions (first published 2008)

Jeremy Baker
Aug 07, 2008 Jeremy Baker rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a rickety table
This is a good book if you are looking for a reason to believe Obama is a Muslim/Socialist/Commi-Nazi. As with his previous effort (you know, the book of straight-up lies he wrote about the last Democratic presidential contender in the previous race?) Corsi's latest waste of brainpower is rife with hyperbole, exaggeration, and factual errors.

If you don't want to vote for Obama, that's cool. But take issue with his positions on tangible issues that affect this country, like health care, the econo...more
MG
Aug 16, 2008 MG rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to MG by: Amazon
While contraversial, it cannot be disputed that this book is well-researched and well-written. Corsi does a great job of peeling back the layers of Axelrod's and Obama's "Cult of Personality" and exposes what may be the "real" Obama.

While the first few chapters of the books may be a little dry, delving into the inconsistencies and the real truth about Obama's parentage, and his meddling into Kenyan politics, it then does a masterful job of analyzing and explaining the more well-known hot-button...more
Ashley
After considering his work on Unfit for Command, I was surprised with how fair Corsi is with Obama in the Obama Nation. Surprisingly, Corsi holds judgment and opinion to a minimum until the last few chapters. Corsi fills in the gaps left in Obama's Dreams from my Father and analyzes Obama's experiences and ties to Chicago politics and political figures. He gives a detailed and factual account of Chicago politics. Everything is meticulously cited and documented by reputable outside sources.
Colleen Martin
Aug 26, 2008 Colleen Martin rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE. Reading this will only lower your IQ.
Shelves: non-fiction
I knew what I was getting into when I started listening to this book, but that doesn't mean I could stomach it. Corsi is nothing more than a slanderer (as was made perfectly clear in his book about John Kerry's military service) - his allegations have absolutely no factual proof behind them and serves only to push his right-wing agenda. I can't believe rubbish like this can actually get published...oh wait, I forgot that Threshold Editions is a conservative off-shoot of Simon and Schuster. That...more
Missmath144
Oct 20, 2008 Missmath144 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has been getting their information solely from mainstream media
This book is well researched and documented. Every statement of fact is carefully footnoted. It is not an opinion piece as some will be quick to accuse.

Just a couple issues brought up in the book:

Kenya: Obama was in Kenya, ostensibly for a very laudable purpose -- to encourage people to get checked for HIV. However, every day he was there, he railed against the current president (who is capitalist, pro-USA, Christian), and standing by his side was his fellow tribesman Odinga (opposition candidat...more
Jim
Mostly, I found this to be dreck. Corsi raises some valid criticisms, such as Obama's earlier ties to felonious political fundraiser Tony Rezko and the fiery, controversial Rev. Wright.

On the whole, any valid criticisms there might be are lost in a mire of poorly substantiated accusations. Corsi tries to bolster his case with the trappings of scholarship; however, a lot of his conclusions seem pretty shaky. Like Corsi's earlier book about John Kerry's military service, this is a combination of...more
Judith
Everyone should see the real life of our Golden Boy President. I personally have been skeptic all along and even I've been shocked by all the negative in this book. Some people are going around in a dream world about BO. That's about what he's worth, BO.
If you're interested in politics the answers are all on the net. This book is filled with proofs of who Obama is. He looks good on the surface especially with his quick choices of his new cabinets. His choices to me seem strange. It's all about D...more
Wendy
I know there's a lot of controversy over this book. Let me just say this: If it's true, it is unbelievably frightening. If it's false, it's an outrage. In other words, it is a typical political expose. Take it with a grain of salt, but it can't all be untrue, can it?
Mazola1
The Obama Nation is about as balanced, thoughtful and fair as might be expected from a book with its snarky, pun-fully-intended, title. Corsi believes that an Obama presidency would be an abomination, leading to a militarily weakened and economically diminshed United States. In his book, he sets out to prove this thesis, concentrating on what he sees as Obama's character flaws and unsavory past acquaintances with radicals, terrorists and leftists.

The Obama Nation is not particularly well written...more
Jai
While this book was well-researched and I am certainly not an Obama fan, this book was too extreme and erroneous for many reasons:
1. While Barack Obama has ties to black liberation theology, he has certainly not become more leftist - in fact, he has become a centrist Democrat in many ways.
2. No, Barack Obama is not a socialist.
3. The author's assertion that Obama's coalition of minority voters and working class voters is inadequate was proved wrong twice in 4 years.
4. Obama's personal life has h...more
Gabriel
Surprise, surprise! Four years later of Obama in office, and he turned out not to be an Al-Qaeda sympathizer, the Antichrist, or whatever the hell Corsi wants him to be. The book contained some interesting biographical tidbits, but nothing I couldn't have found in Dreams from My Father or The Audacity of Hope. His attempts at discrediting Obama as a presidential candidate are as subtle as the title, and often laughable. (In one section, the author cites Obama's lackes of bowling skills as eviden...more
Roxanna
Oct 29, 2008 Roxanna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I know all the good things about Obama, I wanted to know the bad things. All I can say is that the author really hates Obama and this book has not shown anything else but the big fear the author, and a lot of other people, have to have an African-American president. What a shame!!!
Joshua
I found Mr. Corsi to be significantly misguided in his reckless attacks. He is lucky the bar is set where it is with regards to slander in this country. However, this review is prompted by his deportation from Kenya this morning. He has hit a nerve. Whose?
My degree is in political science, so, in general, I like well-written books on political theory. The author's credentials impressed me and I think he did an excellent job with this book. The book's aim is to state facts about Obama which, if the McCain campaign should exploit them, would result in Obama not winning the presidency. It is not a "fun" read and at face value, the writing may seem slanted or pedantic. The material is presented in a very stark, factual manner, and constantly circles...more
Susan Jordan
The book is very slow starting. Corsi talks of Obama's childhood and Kenyan tribal politics. It seems it will go on forever until he starts tying everything in to the unrest in Kenya and Obama's support of Odinga. Then it all becomes fascinating.

It investigates a lot of claims from Obama's autobiography, Dreams From My Father, and found that it's lack of cohesion and chronology muddies the waters about Obama's past. But it is obvious that Obama has daddy issues, mommy issues and abandonment issu...more
RuthAnne
I found this book to be very eye opening. Corsi does a good job laying out the facts, substantiates them well, and clearly adds his own opinion, but states it as such. I don't neccesarily agree with all of his conclusions, some of them simply based on guilt by association.

I am bothered by the hate that is endemic in "black rage", and the fact that this is what Obama heard preached for twenty years. I am also bothered much more by the fact that this country elected someone with so little experien...more
Lisa
Oct 12, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
Shelves: nonfiction
While this book does contain some information about Obama that is inconsequential, such as his father's alcohol problem and Obama's secret smoking, it does point out some far reaching ideas.
The most important thing I take from this book is that Obama wishes to fundamentally change America--he says that himself, but you have look a little deeper to see the type of change to expect. Why did Bill Ayers (still a self professed radical) choose Obama to distribute millions of Annenberg Foundation dol...more
Emiko
The author, Jerome Corsi, introduces himself as a member of the Constitution Party who supported Chuck Baldwin, stating that the reason for this book was not to promote McCain, but to reveal the facts about Obama… something the media has failed to do.

With the 60 pages of sources (like an entire chapter dedicated to them) and Corsi’s PhD from Harvard, it seems irrefutable to suggest anything but that Obama is simply the same ole slick politician (albeit well-masked) as the rest.

However, I will s...more
Kay
This is the most disturbing book I've ever read. I've read my share of political hack jobs, but this is not one of those. It's well written and documented with speeches, interviews and Obamas books he has written. It's hard to accept the truth if you an Obama supporter [unless of course your politics are radical:] but unfortunately this author doesn't judge as much as present these facts. I could write pages and pages of what I think about this book, but instead I am going to spend my time prayi...more
Bliss Tew
Dec 12, 2008 Bliss Tew rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking to better understand Senator Obama.
I have read THE OBAMA NATION by Dr. Jerome R. Corsi. It's a book well worth the time to read as it reveals a great deal about Barack Obama's own views through his friends, relatives, his own writings, and his personal history. He has been long-time friends with Bill Ayers, a 1960s radical and terrorist who got away with bombings in the United States.

Like Dr. Corsi, I did not vote for John McCain or Barack Obama, but, it's still important to better understand the President elect, his beliefs, his...more
Lydia
Corsi did a good job of not commenting so much as compiling the research to show who Obama is. He even takes lots of things from Obama's book. I found this a fascinating book--scary if it's all true... On Obama's website you can read what he thinks of Corsi's book. I found it interesting that the things they argue are all very minor. Corsi also has a refute of Obama's refutes...

But the book was well-written and researched. I learned a ton (even if I don't agree 100% with everything that was wri...more
Vivian Newkirk
Oct 16, 2008 Vivian Newkirk rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an open mind
Recommended to Vivian by: "Heard it on the radio"
What Obama says and does in public and what he's done or said in the past are disputed in this book. Despite the fact that Corsi isn't voting for Obama in the upcoming election, he has compiled hundreds of investigative reports and interviews by outstanding writers that present the real Obama. This book is frightening to read. The real Obama is not the one he and his cadre of advisors have crafted--a polished personality that, if elected, will take command of America and lead it into the sewer!!...more
Emy
This book makes some really good, little known points about Obama... (he supported a communist candidate for political office in Africa... his connection with Bill Ayers is much deeper than his campaign wants you to think... he used very shady political tactics to get into the Illinois Legislature).

There are also several times the book tries to make connections that just end up being dubious.

Read and decide for yourself!
Joshua
This was a good, well researched and documented look at just who are President is, where he came from, and where he wants to take our country. However, if you have read virtually any other books of this sort about Barack Obama then you will be fed virtually the same information that you have already heard. But if you haven't then be prepared to see who the real Barack Hussein Obama is.
Kishore
The book accurately portrayed Obama as Left-wing populist and the author was not mislead by the veneer of sophistication even before he was first elected as President. Unfortunately, the book was seen as a hit job instead of painstaking research into the many concealed and darker aspects of Obama's life. America is now paying the price of its myopia while the author stands vindicated.
Bianca
When you look at the history of American Liberalism, you cannot help but see it stems from the philosophies of Russian Communism, German National Socialism, and Italian Fascism. The New York Times and Hollywood have, in their times, endorsed the leaders of these three regimes. We need to be aware of the roots of our beliefs if we truly want to vote for a better world.
Linda Declark
I enjoyed reading this book because it was very well researched and provided tremendous insight into the dark shadowy past of Barak Obama. It also sheds light on how he became who he is, and how his upbringing has affected his political agenda. I was fascinated and horrified, at the same time! A must read for anyone who is remotely interested in politics!
Andrew
This book is fantastic! Written by a Harvard educated political scientist, The Obama Nation chronicles President Obama's past and his radical connections. This book is well researched and the author has the citations to back up his claims. President Obama is a man that would have never been elected President had everyone read what was in this book.
Nephi
While Mr. Corsi is obviously not a fan of Mr. Obama's ideals and politics, this book is well documented, and now, three years after Mr. Obama's election, many of Mr. Corsi's predictions, based on this analysis of Mr. Obama's politics, have been validated.

Mr. Obama is a somewhat talented politician, but a terrible leader.
Naive or Mud Slinging? 5 30 Jan 03, 2013 10:44PM
  • The Case Against Barack Obama: The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media Mockery of Terrorist Threats, Liberals Who Want to Kill Talk Radio, the Do-Nothing Congress, Companies That Help Iran, and Washington Lobbyists for Foreign Governments Are Scamming Us...and What to Do About It
  • 48 Liberal Lies About American History
  • Crimes Against Liberty: An Indictment of President Barack Obama
  • Culture Warrior
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • An Inconvenient Book: Real Solutions to the World's Biggest Problems
  • The Way Things Ought to Be
  • Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World!
  • What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era
  • How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter
  • The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on Our Churches, Schools, and Military
  • Reagan, in His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America
  • Nancy Reagan: The Unauthorized Biography
  • President Nixon: Alone in the White House
The Shroud Codex Who Really Killed Kennedy?: The Ultimate Guide to the Assassination Theories--50 Years Later Where's the Birth Certificate?: The Case That Barack Obama Is Not Eligible to Be President America for Sale: Fighting the New World Order, Surviving a Global Depression, and Preserving USA Sovereignty The Late, Great U.S.A.: The Covert Creation of the North American Union