Start by marking “In the Land of the Blind: A Zombie Story” as Want to Read:
In the Land of the Blind: A Zombie Story

In the Land of the Blind: A Zombie Story

Like everyone else he knew, Steven's heart did not beat. Instead it lay dead in his chest, as docile as his brain and his lungs and his soul. So when he first heard the faint beating sound coming from outside his bedroom window, he didn't know what to think.

"In the Land of the Blind" is a 3,000-word nontraditional zombie story that won the 10th Annual Chiaroscuro Short St
Published March 20th 2011 by RMS Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Land of the Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Land of the Blind

Netanella
Jun 21, 2013 Netanella rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

So imagine a world where zombie and human roles are reversed: the zombie is the societal norm, and human are feared and hunted on sight. A little undead boy one day hears the thump thump thump of a heartbeat and wonders if he's hallucinating. He goes out to the backyard and digs up a mysterious box which is emitting the thumping, heartbeat-like sound. And meets a living human, er...zombie...who tells him about colors and emotions and life.

Poor
Taylor
Jul 31, 2012 Taylor rated it it was ok
Confusing. If the author elaborated more on this story, it would be great. It has the potential to be an amazing zombie story. I'd definitely like to read more by Robert Swartwood.
Joe
Aug 24, 2012 Joe rated it liked it
Want more. I like the role reversal, just s few things I question, but they could be ironed out in the whole story too.
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I'm not giving this story 2 stars because of anything the author did or didn't do per se. Unfortunately I just couldn't get into this. I found the premise to be very new and different which is wonderful for a genre that's been bombarded like this one has, but this just didn't work for me. Part of the reason I love zombie stories so much is the gore and utter hopelessness of a dystopian and dying world but with this kind of story it kinda takes all of that out of it. The zombies in this story are ...more
Robert Zimmermann
Mar 21, 2013 Robert Zimmermann rated it liked it
This was a zombie story, like the subtitle suggests. But it was an interesting take on the genre. The twist to the genre was a little confusing at first. This made me a little iffy on whether or not the story worked for me as a whole. Other elements of it worked well for me though, once I got past the reversal of the zombie label.

This short story was intriguing enough to make me want to know more about the world it was written in. What lead the world to be the way it is, etc.

I’d recommend this b
Lyndon
Nov 03, 2013 Lyndon rated it it was amazing
Allegories seldom work well as literary pieces, they're usually too blatant, characters too flat, the moral too simple. 'In the Land of the Blind' is a wonderful exception to the norm as Swartwood handles the story, characters, and moral theme adeptly. The 'reveal' is gradual, gentle, and transparent which allows the reader to enter into the main character's enlightenment, confusion, transformation, and final acceptance with full empathy. Wonderful story about 'zombies' but in a literary vein. ...more
Robert Beveridge
Jan 05, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Robert Swartwood, In the Land of the Blind (RMS Press, 2011)

Interesting, though too short, story that reverses the usual zombie conventions: while the scenario is the usual, where the zombie plague has wiped out all but a handful of survivors, Swartwood's story is told from the perspective of one of the living dead who encounters a living human, and must make a tough decision that will alter his existence forever. Swartwood eventually turned this into the novel The Dishonored Dead; judging by th
Kay Glass
Apr 16, 2013 Kay Glass rated it really liked it
The premise here is a surprising one, and a very good one! What if YOU were the zombie? Only, zombie means human? And the humans are what WE would think of as zombies? Confusing? At first... but if we were the ones to be feared, would we consider ourselves zombies? No, we'd call ourselves humans, and fear those different than us.

While this was extremely short, it was also extremely well written, and makes me want to know more about this upside down world.
Yvensong
An interesting short story with a twist. Zombies are the norm (and do not call themselves zombies), while humans are the feared species.

I don't want to say much more than that, as it would be too easy to give too much away. I found this interesting enough, to add the novel that this short story inspired, to my wishlist.
Horace Torys
Apr 01, 2011 Horace Torys rated it liked it
This short story takes place in the same universe as Swartwood's forthcoming novel, The Dishonored Dead. The concept is interesting, but not taken far enough, not fully explored and realized. It will make you think, though.
Coty Lynn
Jan 02, 2012 Coty Lynn rated it it was ok
This was only a short story, but it could have been fleshed out a bit more. It's a nice reversal of roles in a zombie world. I realize it was the inspiration for a novel by the same author, and this does make me want to attempt that read. I'd give this a 2.5
R.A. Holmes
Dec 03, 2012 R.A. Holmes rated it liked it
This book was... I don't know. I kind of didn't understand it much. I was getting confused reading it. It could be because i was falling asleep AS i was reading it, but I gave it three stars because i was interested, just confused. :\
Aude
Oct 10, 2014 Aude rated it it was ok
Too short to really make up my mind. Made me want for more closure even though it was a bit too esoteric.
Alyssa Greatbanks
Jan 07, 2013 Alyssa Greatbanks rated it liked it
I thought this was a pretty neat book. It was interesting to see a new twist on the zombie genre, and also on how our perception can affect things.
Brandon Jones
Jul 22, 2013 Brandon Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
definitely a different take on zombies, a little confusing, still don't know if I get the whole premise. still enjoyed it for some reason though
Ron Rodriguez
Ron Rodriguez rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Patrick J Dalton
Patrick J Dalton rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2014
Marianne Mitchell
Marianne Mitchell rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2016
lea
lea rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2015
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2014
Randy Harmelink
Randy Harmelink rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2012
Mary Shaffer
Mary Shaffer rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2012
Shannon
Shannon rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2014
R.G. Dillon
R.G. Dillon rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Steve Bryant
Steve Bryant rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2016
Wendy Potvin
Wendy Potvin rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Class of 2014: Matthew 1 5 Feb 14, 2013 09:28AM
  • Circus of the Dead
  • The Lost Journal (Secret Apocalypse)
  • 30 Minute Plan
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Zombies at the Door, Planning for the Inevitable
  • Rock And Roll Reform School Zombies
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 205
  • Hansel and Gretel Are Dead (Zombie Fairy Tales #2)
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • Cold Faith and Zombies
  • Road Kill (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #2.5)
  • The Bitter Seasons (Living with the Dead, #2)
  • Attic Clowns: Volume One
  • Slag Attack
  • The Quest of Iranon
  • The Burial of the Rats
  • Entombed
USA TODAY bestselling author of The Serial Killer's Wife, The Calling, Man of Wax, and several other novels. He created the term "hint fiction" and edited Hint Fiction: An Anthology of Stories in 25 Words or Fewer.
More about Robert Swartwood...