Start by marking “Gotham Central, Book Three: On the Freak Beat” as Want to Read:
Gotham Central, Book Three: On the Freak Beat

Gotham Central, Book Three: On the Freak Beat (Gotham Central #3)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,594 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
The cops of Gotham City have a new enemy...Batman!

A brutal gang war rages in Gotham City. After a tragic mistake, the police feels that they can no longer trust Batman, so the Commissioner makes a fateful decision -- the Dark Knight is now a wanted man, and the famous Bat-Signal is removed from the roof of headquarters. But it couldn't have come at a worse time time, as th
Published October 25th 2011 by DC Comics (first published June 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gotham Central, Book Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotham Central, Book Three

Dan Schwent
Oct 29, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2012
Montoya and Allen tangle with the Black Spider and a crucial piece of evidence goes missing. A televangelist turns up dead and it looks like Catwoman is the killer. One of Dr. Alchemy's old experiments transforms a cop and Montoya and Allen have to team up with some Keystone City cops and Dr. Alchemy himself to try to cure him. Business as usual for the detectives down at Gotham Central...

Brubaker and Rucka have wowed me again. Even this far into Gotham Central's run, they continue to impress me
Kemper
Jan 19, 2013 Kemper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The police detectives of Gotham City’s Major Crimes Unit continue the struggle against the ‘freaks’ who like to commit their crimes while wearing costumes, and now they’re doing it without Batman’s help.

There’s three main stories in this collection of the gritty comics. First, Detective Allen saves his partner’s Renee Montoya’s life when they get caught in the middle of a gangland assassination attempt by the Black Spider, but missing evidence threatens Allen’s career afterwards so Montoya tries
Brandon
Jun 18, 2012 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime Fiction Fans
I honestly didn't expect to love this series as much as I did when I started it. The fact that you're asking me to read about Gotham but you're not going to give a whole lot of love to The Dark Knight himself? Blasphemy!

Turns out when you hand it over to the very capable hands of Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka, you know you're going to get to read something special.

This third volume collects issues 23 through 31 of DC's stellar Gotham Central series. In this volume, we're given 4 different story arc
Caitlin
Book Three is another hit or miss volume. Ultimately the great stories carry the mediocre ones but the artwork definitely hits a new low. Here are the main stories in the volume:

Corrigan by Greg Rucka

I’ve always liked the partnership between Detectives Crispus Allen and Renee Montoya so this was another good one. Allen and Montoya end up walking in on a gang war between the Black Spider and some random Gotham gang. One of the random gang members gets hit in the crossfire and takes the opportu
Chris
Jan 24, 2016 Chris rated it liked it
A slight step down for this otherwise strong series, On The Freak Beat suffers from some disjointed storytelling and sub-standard fill-in art.

The cover blurb and recap pages for the first few issues establish that the GCPD have cut ties with Batman after he overstepped the mark, costing the lives of innocents. The dialogue in the issues that follow is reliably well written and it's clear where everyone stands, but this was such a big change in the status quo that I wanted to actually see how it
Relstuart
May 20, 2015 Relstuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: super-hero, dc
Pretty decent stories in this one. The first was one of the stronger stories with Montoya and her partner arresting a couple shooters and then Montoya getting a couple rounds in her vest from an assassin the shooters were there to take out and being saved at the last second when her partner shoots and kills the assassin. Montoya then goes after a dirty cop involved in covering up some related evidence using her fists to beat him up in front of his friends on the force. A choice that will have si ...more
The_Mad_Swede
This third hard cover volume collects issues #23–31 of Gotham Central, DC's comic about the Gotham City Police Department's Major Crime Unit (mostly dealing with the kinds of crime that inevitably tends to involve "the Bat").

The volume is dominated by Greg Rucka's writing, and while it was Brubaker's presence that caused me initially to pick the series, I have to say that both of these writers do a great job on it.

First out is the two-parter "Corrigan," which gives us a look into the corruption
Cyndi
Sep 03, 2015 Cyndi rated it it was amazing
These poignant vignettes brought me some true feels! The road to redemption gets a good deal shorter for Renée Montoya. Josie Mac is handed some hard advisement about trust and honesty from *gasp* Selina Kyle as her alter ego. Dr Alchemy..oh my. All while the Commissioner burns his bridge with The Bats!!! Geez I love this trés noir look at Gotham. I'm a tad sad to have reached the beginning of the end.,...
Joseph
Jun 24, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed reading the Gotham Central collections. The first two I read a few months ago, and now have the final two in front of me.

The third volume here does a pretty good job of keeping the focus on the GCPD's MCU top detectives. Detective Renee Montoya seems to be the primary character in this volume, and perhaps the most interesting over all. We get plenty of her personal life, but also her fine skills and the way she can maneuver in the seedy Gotham underworld.

The super-villains
Aaron
Oct 09, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still compelling, though seems to be missing something the previous volumes had.
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This third volume of Gotham Central is not a huge departure from the previous two volumes, which is great because it means the reader gets more dependably solid street-level storytelling about regular people trying to get by in a world that has been taken over by superhero/villain insanity. Renee Montoya is a big star of this volume, as she deals with a shooting of/by a costumed villain, a few developments in her relationship with her father, and her own propensity for violence, and she is consi ...more
Derek Parker
Jul 15, 2016 Derek Parker rated it really liked it
Another engaging volume in the series.
Ed Dinnermonkey
Sep 17, 2014 Ed Dinnermonkey rated it it was amazing
A noir Marvels? A superhero NYPD Blue? A Batman book without Batman? GCPD takes a concept so brilliantly simple that you'll kick yourself for not thinking of it first and spins a delightfully rich series of whodunnits and vignettes on the human condition.

If that sounds pretentious, it isn't. It's a detective story set in the most miserable fictional city ever, following police trying to solve crimes whilst Batman slinks around in the background and... well, kind of gets in the bloody way. Or sav
Jesse
This is an amazing series. Its like Greg Rucka was allowed to do his version of Law/Order and Homicide but set in Gotham City. I'm sad to say after this installment I'm on the last volume. I will be bummed to see this one end as it so great. If you like gritty crime stories with excellent detectives and some cool procedural stuff, read this. Its one of the reasons why comics are for adults too.
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 16, 2014 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
My biggest problem with this third volume of Gotham Central is the ascendance of Renee Montoya. Sure, she's a great character, but the previous two volumes had really been ensembles, while this one instead becomes the Montoya show, with 6 out of 9 issues focusing on her. The Keystone Kops episode epitomizes this in an almost farcical way, with two other detectives being asked to step up to the plate ... before Montoya pushes in and steals the case from them. This still is a good volume but it do ...more
Tom
Oct 16, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something about this series which I find a little jarring is that it is tied into the main 'DCU' (DC Universe). So events happening in other comics impact this comic. To me this doesn't really 'feel' right. Although of course Gotham Central takes place in the Gotham of Batman and Robin and the Joker and the Penguin, it's not a superhero comic and so its intersections with the events of those superhero comics feel weird.

It also means that in some ways the storyline is incomplete, because when th
Iain
Feb 09, 2014 Iain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd have been monumentally pissed off if I was buying this series rather than borrowing it from the library. The previous volume I read was number four (you can just about get away with reading them out of sequence) and it contained *every single one* of the stories presented in this, Volume 3.

This one has an additional 2-part story, the titular "On The Freak Beat" and a handful of "Previously, in Gotham Central..." pages which I don't recall featuring in Vol.4.

Otherwise, same book. So if you're
Peter Stoutenburgh
Sep 15, 2014 Peter Stoutenburgh rated it liked it
Although this volume (3 of 4) following the men and women of the GCPD was every bit as good as any cop show on TV, it seemed to be missing a few pieces that tied the beginning if these stories to the end of the last book (Volume 2). It was great to have such realism tied into the over-the-top scenarios that only seem to occur in Gotham. It was also intriguing how the authors were able to incorporate a villain from another DC Superhero's life into the story. As a whole, this collection is becomin ...more
Wing Kee
Dec 29, 2014 Wing Kee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freak beat builds on the story and character developments in the previous two trades and readers are rewarded with some even more amazing character development and cameos from main characters of the DCU.

It took me a while to pick up the third trade, I had read/watched myself into a procedural crime overload and I needed some time off from this genre. However, slipping back into this genre with this series was like a glove. The characters, art, writing, story, world are all done so well that you
Greg Handley
Corrigan story lines and writing felt contrived which is unusual for this series. I'm only half way into the book.

One of my favorite parts about Gotham Central, in general, is the artistic portrayals of the officers. While understated and realistic the artwork is the key underpinning to my appreciation with Gotham Central.

The shift from Lark and Gaudiano to Jason Alexander in The Freak Beat was abrupt for me. Alexander's art is difficult to decipher. There is way too much usage of black where t
Andrew
Nov 17, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the Freak Beat takes a slight step down in quality from the first two Gotham Central HC volumes. Plots remain reasonably compelling, and the characters remain strong, but there are some missteps along the way, especially in the later episodes. Michael Lark bows out after "Lights Out," and is replaced by Stefano Gaudiano and, in the title story, Jason Alexander. Alexander's art is an awkward fit, and is especially poor at communicating appropriate facial expressions. Characters often look ston ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Apr 16, 2013 Chris Lemmerman rated it it was amazing
The first two volumes of Gotham Central were great, but missed out on full five star ratings for some reason or another; the third volume finally manages it.

This volume opens with a great two parter, titled Corrigan, which follows on from some earlier plots as well as setting up a climactic final arc for the fourth volume.

We then get a done in one called Lights Out, which ties into the then-ongoing Bat-Event War Games, and manages to be extremely powerful whilst setting up a new status quo for
Crystal
I'm sad to say I'm disappointed in this installation. I really enjoyed the middle story, involving Josie Mac, Driver, and Catwoman. I want more of Josie Mac--her story is interesting and could go somewhere. Driver has consistently been one of my favorite characters too.
but what do I get more of instead? This increasingly tedious storyline: lesbian cop gets a case, it has a complication, she gets angry about it and beats someone up, and then she goes home and has sex with her girlfriend. Oh, and
Zoli
Feb 23, 2016 Zoli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brutal gang war rages in Gotham City. After a tragic mistake, the police feels that they can no longer trust the Batman, so the Commissioner makes a fateful decision. With the Dark Knight now a wanted man and the famous Bat-Signal removed from the roof of headquarters, Gotham's finest are on their own. Once again, and as always with this great series, but now more than ever in need of some help by the Dark Knight.

While everyone thinks of Batman first when they hear Gotham City and crime, Greg
Jeff
Feb 24, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I put off reading this simply because I don't dig Batman that much. It's not about Batman at all. Or Catwoman. Mostly (for me) it's about Renee Montoya, a cop with a bad attitude and anger management issues who also happens to be queer. The queer elements play a part of the story without making her into an after school special. Can't wait to read the older Gotham Central books now...and Rucka's Stumptown.
Sam Poole
Dec 10, 2014 Sam Poole rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. Love the Keystone Kops chapters. Can't wait to see what happens with Corrigan. Josie is my new favorite character and Batman is rude in this. The art has reached its peak and the storytelling is the strongest it has been. Love the recaps at the beginning of each issue. Just strong, character driven stuff. Now onto corrigan!!
Edward Petersen
Jan 01, 2016 Edward Petersen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some better-than-decent storytelling by Rucka/Brubaker. A Catwoman story that seems told before (framed for more than the crime she DID commit), but fun nonetheless. Also, a setup for the next volume regarding Corrigan. But the true gem was the three-parter that the volumes takes its name from, complete with super villain and Hannibal Lecter references.
Tyler Hayes
Jun 08, 2015 Tyler Hayes rated it it was amazing
Another stellar entry in the Gotham Central series, this time focusing on the tensions between police and Batman, the differences between Batman and other superheroes, and the side effects of a superhero universe on police procedure and just plain life. My favorite of the entire series so far.
Busky3
Jan 12, 2014 Busky3 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the Gotham Central collections. It drums up a bit of interest by having our Gotham PD characters travel to the home of The Flash in the course of an investigation but the rest of the stories are very dull. Catwoman shows up but it's not very dramatic because it's the usual "anti-hero did some crimes but not THAT crime/clear my name" routine. There's a long running plot line about a cop selling evidence that finds some amount of excitement in the next book but here it just se ...more
Alex
Sep 25, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Renee Montoya is one bad-ass MF. This series excels at showcasing street-level, interpersonal drama, and this volume is yet another testament to that sentiment.

You know how in the Netflix Daredevil series, they show the repercussions of the destruction caused by the Avengers and their outer space adversaries? Gotham Central is kind of like that. The series focuses on all the street-level characters. The cops walking the beat. The doctors and nurses that take in victims of supervillain crimes. T
  • Gotham Central, Book Two: Jokers and Madmen
  • Batman: Ego and Other Tails
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Powers: Definitive Collection, Vol. 4
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Batman Adventures: Mad Love and Other Stories
  • Batgirl/Robin: Year One
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 1
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...