Start by marking “Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear” as Want to Read:
Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear

Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear (Der kleine Eisbär #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Lars, the little polar bear who lives at the North Pole, is off on a new adventure. This time he's been accidentally scooped up in a gigantic fishnet and is heading into port aboard a ship. How will he ever get home? Luckily, Lars isn't the only four-feeted creature on board. Nemo, the ship's cat, comes up with a plan to get Lars home that just might work.
Published February 1st 1999 by NorthSouth (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear

Martiah Rall
Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear was written and illustrated by Hans de Beer. The story is about a little polar beat names Lars who lives in the North Pole and gets swooped up by a fishing boat. On deck he meets a cat named Nemo who acts as a guide for him. They get off the boat at the port together and Lars gets introduced to all of the other cats while they work out a plan to get him back to the North Pole. This is a good book for first to third graders I think.

Some of the themes I noticed in th
Iain Robertson
A wonderful little story about a young polar bear called Lars who is scooped up in a fishing boat’s nets. He finds himself on-board the vessel which is now heading away from the Arctic and back to port. This is where his adventures really begin. After extricating himself from the hold where all the caught fish are kept and whilst feeling lost and lonely he is befriended by Nemo who is the ship’s cat. Nemo promises to help Lars when they get to port. The story continues with Lars’s adventures aft ...more
Lauren Ritcey
Genre: International
Awards: None
Grade: 3-4
Comments: I would have the students read this book alone and then when they had all finished we would come together and then I would separate them into groups. Then when they were in groups I would give them pages of the book and they had to draw a picture of what is happening on their pages. This would be on big easel paper and when each group is done I would put them in order and hang them on the wall. This teaches the students about the idea of puttin
Dolly
Oct 01, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Adorable illustrations and heartwarming story about finding your way home. Our girls really enjoyed this story. Lars the little polar bear is a very engaging and entertaining character. We like the books in the Lars the Little Polar Bear series by Hans de Beer and I'm sure we'll look for more at our local library.
Petra
I loved this book so much, it was the only one I wanted when they brought books for testing to the kindergarten. Having never used the book testing option before (I was too shy and humble to explicitly want anything when not directly asked), I totally misunderstood it and just took the sample book home. The next day, the kindergarten teacher had to send it to the company that gave out the sample books. XD
Sara Stalder
My dad used to read this book to my sisters and I every night at bedtime. We were in love with Little Lars! In this one, Lars gets traped in a fish net, and gets taken onto a ship. He meets the cutest little cat Nemo (who was my favorite character; my dad would do the cutest little impression)who helps him find his way back home. This is probably one of my favorite books ever!
Matthew
I enjoyed this book. It kind of had an environmental undercurrent because the polar bear is so disgusted by the filth of humans and because he is accidentally captured by humans in a fishing net, but it is mostly a story of kindness between a cat and a polar bear. It's like and enjoyable. I would read it again. I have a feeling that kids would enjoy it too.
Jamie
Yay the first ever book I ever read in German! Although I did take 3 years of German in High School, I had a difficult time understanding this book which was probably aimed at children under 10. I did indeed make use of Google translate a few times but am proud to say I read a book in German!
Amy Olson
Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear is a great book to use in the beginning of the school year to start building classroom community! Lars the polar bear gets lost he has to rely on a new found friend to get him home. Using this book can introduce students to friends and friendships and how they should treat each other.
Dani
All of these polar bear books require a suspension of disbelief beyond what I am willing to grant even a children's book. Still, my 4-year-old likes them, and they aren't horrible, just preposterous -- and not in a funny way.
This books was really cute. It was a great book about friendship and I think kids would really like it. He also was on a journey, so you could use it in that theme as well.
Donna-Lee
Here is a great polar bear puppet that ties in nicely with the story...
Amar Pai
Great art. Story is whatevs. I'm kinda numb to anthropomorphized animals and their zero-risk adventures at this point.
Lulu
ONe of my favorite stories when I was younger. I took a look back and started crying. Beautiful illustrations.
Setja-Nerthe
I loved it as a child ^^ I can absolutely recommend it to everyone who has children.
Alison
Nov 24, 2007 Alison rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: read-in-japan
the little polar bear is just so fucking cute!
Heidi
Heidi added it
Dec 07, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Alexandra Delessio
Alexandra Delessio marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Jen Vaughan
Jen Vaughan marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Haven Mitchell-rose
Haven Mitchell-rose is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2014
Yvee
Yvee added it
Oct 02, 2014
Jennifer Bartz
Jennifer Bartz marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Brett added it
Sep 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
51959
Hans de Beer was born in Muiden, a small town near Amsterdam, in the Netherlands. He began to draw when he went to school, mostly when the lessons got too boring. In college, he studied history, but he was drawing so many pictures during the lectures that he decided to become an artist. He went on to study illustration at the Rietveld Academy of Art in Amsterdam . Hans de Beer's Little Polar Bear ...more
More about Hans de Beer...
Little Polar Bear Little Polar Bear Finds a Friend Little Polar Bear and the Brave Little Hare Little Polar Bear, Take Me Home! Little Polar Bear and the Husky Pup