Start by marking “Room of Marvels: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Room of Marvels: A Novel

Room of Marvels: A Novel

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  63 reviews

In one tragic blow after another, accomplished Christian writer Tim Hudson lost his mother, his close friend, and his two-year-old daughter. Now he’s on the brink of losing his faith.

Room of Marvels takes readers on a silent spiritual retreat with Tim where he is swept up in a dream vision of heaven and given a guided tour by those he has lost. Reminiscent of the C. S. Le

Published September 1st 2007 by B&H Publishing Group (first published December 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Room of Marvels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room of Marvels

Debbie Evancic
This is a fantastic book! I actually starting crying, in the first chapter! It is the story of a man who has 3 deaths in his life, his best friend, his little daughter and his mother. He is stricken with grief and sadness and has a dream of going to heaven. The book is filled with emotion and I found myself reaching for the kleenex several more times before finishing the book. I had a hard time putting it down and even with a family birthday party, finished it within 24 hours.

This book makes you
Kurt
I recommend that a reader finish the epilogue before coming to a final conclusion about this book. As I read the main novel, I generally disliked it. I found it derivative of Dante's Divine Comedy, C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce, and what I've heard of The Five People You Meet in Heaven (I've not read that one). I also thought it had a lot in common with William Young's The Shack, which was written later but had similarly awkward dialogue as a protagonist enters into a spiritual fantasy and has I ...more
Lisaragamuffin
He was a close friend to Rich Mullins and after Rich's death also lost his young daughter and his mother within 2 years time. Struggling with his faith, he found healing through writing this story, a journey into heaven. It greatly encouraged me as well and outlines some great truths we need to apply to our life and faith on this earth.
Sheryl
If you are dealing with loss ad grief, this is a must read. So much gold packed in such a short novel.
Adam Shields
Short review: This is a short novel about coming to terms with death and loss. The main character, an author, has had his best friend (and neighbor), his daughter and mother all die in a short period of time. He is mad at God and spiritually dead himself. He goes away on a retreat to re-discover his love for God.

It is hard not to compare this with the Shack. Although this was written 3 years earlier and it is focused on the joy of seeing people in heaven and the higher purposes of God, not on a
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Once in a while you find a really great novel to read. One that changes your perspective on how you view this life, but the way we walk through it. Then there is the aspect of just what happens when we die. Do we see our loved ones again? How can we possibly grasp the wonders of what awaits us in heaven one day? How do we cope with the grief and loss of a loved one while we have to walk the rest of the journey through this life without them?

I think James Bryant Smith did an exceptional job at n
Brina
Tim Hudsons Leben könnte nicht schöner sein. Als erfolgreicher Autor und liebender Familienvater hat er sich einen Lebenstraum erfüllt. Doch dann muss er innerhalb von drei Jahren mehrere Schicksalsschläge verkraften. Seine Tochter hat den Kampf gegen eine schwere Krankheit verloren und auch seine Mutter und seinen besten Freund hat er verloren.

Obwohl er seine Kraft bislang immer aus seiner Religion schöpfen konnte, zweifelt er nun alles an, an das er immer geglaubt hat.
Würde Gott es zulassen, d
Brian K.
I am speechless!

James Bryan Smith has written the best book on grief! His understanding after living beyond multiple intimate friends and loved ones crossing over is marvelous. I did not know what the synopsis of this book was when I downloaded from "Inspired Reads'" website. I just knew that it had a high rating. Mr. Smith has taken the time to fully develop a believable circumstance based loosely on his experiences and weaved together a tale that helps one through the grieving process.

After lo
Jim
Man faces great losses, loses faith in God and is swept away in a dream to a heaven-like place to have everything explained. So the premise is pretty simple. The heaven-like place is not all that unfamiliar, and the people he meets while there make you smile and feel good.

I found myself enjoying the ride, however, as a Christian who has suffered loss, I felt a little cheated. Belief and faith are such an important part of religion, that if you need proof to believe...well...then it isn't really
deborah trout
Comforting

Comforting

yes, I agree that after losing my mom, the world has just felt all wrong. I had never heard anyone else say it quite like I feel it. and yes, I know she is much better off with God. doesn't stop me from missing her just as much after 12 years, tho.
Grant Davis
I was loaned this book by a friend and I was instantly enthralled by its intimacy. I compare this book to such writings as "Five People you Meet in Heaven" and "The Shack" in that this book really gets into your heart and causes you to do some deep searching into your relationship with God. The way the author addresses grief would be of immense help to anyone who has suffered great loss or disappointments in their life and helps lead them to true healing by God's comforting hand. I only gave 4 o ...more
Sarah Wilson
Normally I dislike trippy books, but as this one is largely about a dream, I suppose it's allowed. I do not know how accurately the author's "vision" of heaven in his dream is- and logically it seems it could only be as comforting to those who grieve as it is accurate- but sometimes the heart seems to search beyond reason alone and maybe that's ok. The book is flat out weird and filled with sorrow as the author has recently lost several people close to him, including his young daughter. I read i ...more
Brent Soderstrum
What a fantastic book! Although it is a novel the book has a lot of facts backing it up. Tim Hudson, a Christian writer, is at the end of his spiritual rope. In the last year and a half he has had his best friend, his mother and his two year old daughter die. He goes to a monastary for 5 days to get away and have it out with God. While at the monastary he has a dream in which God allows him to see heaven and those in it. He is given a guided tour by various people who have had an impact on his l ...more
Erin Collazo Miller
Room of Marvels by James Bryan Smith is a small novel that explores life after death. One Christian writer, Tim, gets a glimpse of heaven in the midst of grieving three tragic losses -- his best friend, mother and daughter. Smith creates a story reminiscent of C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce. Room of Marvels does not hold the theological weight of Lewis, but it is perhaps more personal. This is not a must read for everyone, but it is a good choice for those dealing with suffering who want a Christ ...more
Leah Colby
This is the second time I have read this book and it's still a great perspective of what heaven may be someday! It's also a call to examine our own relationship with God and how we trust in His love...even in the pain of grief.
Phil
Apr 26, 2011 Phil rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Phil by: The author James Bryan Smith was recommend by Ron
Shelves: spiritual
A very nice and quick read. Do you want to know what heaven may be like? Do you want to know what "counts" in the afterlife? If so this may be a book to perk your interest in what lies ahead, after death, for a believer.

Although the book is fiction, the author tells a story of what loses he has faced in the past 18 months and how alone and forsaken he felt, and that God had left him. He puts his life on pause and takes some time to reflect, grieve, and find spiritual answers to his aloneness. Th
Violinknitter
I'm afraid I gave away my copy of this book, and now I wish I still had it. Sigh.
Stephanie
This book was recommended to me by a friend. I wasn't in an exceptionally painful time of life, unlike the main character, but I didn't find this book to be very healing and calming. I'm a busy person right now, and this book gave me moments of peace and tranquility. It was an easy and joy-filled read. I was worried that it would be a bit of a downer, due to the circumstances that instigate the story. However, the book was uplifting and gave me a positive possibility for a lot of my unknowns abo ...more
Mamadimarco
If you enjoyed "Five People You Meet in Heaven", I would tell you that this book is far and away a much better read. I bought one, was so impressed that I bought two more for church libraries. Recently, I found I couldn't find my copy or the one I donated to my church library, so I ordered 5 more copies.........1 for me, and 4 to "loan" to friends. It's been compared to a C.S. Lewis book......can't remember to title, sorry. The author pulls from loses in his own life.
Nicole
Excellent book! This short novel is about a Christian man who is grieving the loss of his close friend, his daughter and his mother, all of whom he lost within three years. The book is somewhat based on the real life circumstances of the author, James Bryan Smith. Smith shares a very hopeful vision of what heaven will be like. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is grieving or anyone who would enjoy reading a Christian interpretation of what heaven may be like.
Pamela
Having lost a daughter and my mother within twenty-one months of each other, I could relate to the main character's challenge of being in a very dark place. In dreams that I've had, those who have gone to heaven are too bright to view with human eyes as well. Perhaps they come to give us peace when we are grieving. I love the whole idea about the room with your life experiences being in "boxes" that you could view at will. I know heaven is going to be amazing!
Mj
a few favorites from the book:

"Do you think you could love yourself for [Jesus'] sake? ch 5

"There is more grace than you can imagine." ch 12

"...souvenirs of your love, of the things you did for other people, great or small." ch 14

"I lost my faith in the church. I let their hypocrisy ruin my love for the church...The church is not a club for saints; it's a fellowship of sinners." ch 15

"Don't underestimate the power of kindness."
ch 15
Karin
I really liked this book. It reminded me a lot of Mitch Albom's Five People You Meet in Heaven, but with a bit of a Christian twist. While my ideas of heaven differ quite a bit from the one posed in this book, it was a lovely read with thoughts to ponder for a while. Favorite quote:"The most beautiful stones are the ones that have been tossed by the wind and washed by the water and polished to brilliance by life's strongest storms."
Ratforce
Like The Shack, this book involves a Christian writer coming to terms with the loss of a loved one (or loved ones). One main difference between the two is that this book was inspired by the author’s own experiences.

If you’re looking for another book that explores grief, such as The Shack , try Room of Marvels . Although the book is fictional, it parallels the author’s real-life experiences.
Sarabeth
i read this book because another book by the same author was recommended by a friend on goodreads...this book wasn't what i expected...i didn't expect that this would be a story that mirrored my own experiences and tragedy...at a certain point, i had to put it down, and then come back to it...the writing wasn't great, but the story was lovely and a great reminder of the hope of heaven
Maria
Poignant tale about loss, grief and faith.
Natalia
I should have read this before I read "The Shack" or "Peaceful Warrior"... it just fell short. Although, on its own, I think I would have liked it more. I did ENJOY reading it... but, after the previously mentioned books, there wasn't anything 'new' I got from it. I would recommend it in the realm of this theme... but, it's not my favorite! 3 stars. No more, no less!
Shanda
190 pages
This book is about a man's journey of healing that takes place in Heaven, or at least on the "edges" of Heaven. He's not there to stay yet, just there because of things God needed to teach him. I enjoyed it. Quick, easy read that allowed God to minister to some places in my own heart that needed it.
Cindy Baucom
I thought this book wonderful! It is a powerful tool for deeper thought on God's plans and purposes in this life. I am not a theologian, but it did not give me a reason to bolt or discard the beauty contained in it's pages. This should bring comfort to those facing deep levels of grief.
Alex
This book is very touching. Some episodes are a little too "Christian" for my belief. I do not believe as much in the concept of sinn for example, but the main message is loud, clear and beautiful. Read it if you have lost someone close - it will help you a lot!
  • Too Small to Ignore: Why Children Are the Next Big Thing
  • A Portrait of Dawn
  • Paper Angels
  • Porch Talk: Stories of Decency, Common Sense, and Other Endangered Species (Porch Talk series, #1)
  • When the Morning Glory Blooms
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups
  • This Is a Soul: The Mission of Rick Hodes
  • Every Waking Moment
  • Spoken For: Embracing Who You Are and Whose You Are
  • Need You Now
  • The Sacred Year: Mapping the Soulscape of Spiritual Practice -- How Contemplating Apples, Living in a Cave, and Befriending a Dying Woman Revived My Life
James Bryan Smith (M.Div., Yale University Divinity School, D.Min., Fuller Seminary) is a theology professor at Friends University in Wichita, KS and a writer and speaker in the area of Christian spiritual formation. He also serves as the director of the Aprentis Institute for Christian Spiritual Formation at Friends University.

A founding member of Richard J. Foster's spiritual renewal ministry, R
More about James Bryan Smith...
The Good and Beautiful God: Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows Rich Mullins: A Devotional Biography: An Arrow Pointing to Heaven The Good and Beautiful Life: Putting on the Character of Christ The Good and Beautiful Community: Following the Spirit, Extending Grace, Demonstrating Love A Spiritual Formation Workbook  - Revised edition: Small Group Resources for Nurturing Christian Growth

“You must let him love you as you are, not as you intend to be. Let him love you as you are, without a single plea for reform. It is all about grace, Tim. All of life is grace. We deserve nothing; we are given everything. Until now you have only experienced the drippings of grace. You have longed for the real thing, like the longing for the scent of a flower you have never been able to find, or the echo of a tune you have not yet heard, or news from a country you have never visited. Well, now you have found it. Grace is the thing you have been searching for, and it is all around you.” 1 likes