Start by marking “Lucie Duff Gordon: A Passage to Egypt” as Want to Read:
Lucie Duff Gordon: A Passage to Egypt

Lucie Duff Gordon: A Passage to Egypt

Lucie Duff Gordon was a world apart from her Victorian counterparts. An intellectual, traveller, writer and progressive social commentator, she and her husband led a bohemian, eccentric and highly unconventional life in London, socialising with such luminaries as Tennyson, Dickens and Thackeray. In 1862, however, Lucie was diagnosed with tuberculosis and on the advice of h ...more
Published April 15th 2007 by Tauris Parke Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Lucie Duff Gordon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucie Duff Gordon

Diane
Jul 23, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
I read this excellent biography on the recommendation of my discerning colleague LMJ and she was right! It is a well-researched account of a remarkable life. Lucie Duff Gordon was an upper-middle class English woman of the mid-19th century most famous for her "Letters from Egypt", a compilation of her correspondence to family and friends from an Egypt that was then little different from how it had been for hundreds, if not thousands of years. The author examined additional existing correspondenc ...more
Mary
Jul 13, 2009 Mary rated it liked it
fairly obviously this is designed to remind you of Passage to India and Mrs Moore.From this aspect it's a chicken and egg scenario,did Forster know of Lucie Duff Gordon's story( he did live in Egypt for a while) or has Katherine Frank twisted things to fit Forster? I didn't really feel I got to know Lucie Duff Gordon as a person - learned a lot about what happened, but had no real feel for her character.
what struck me most was the precariousness of life at that time(mid 1800s). there seemed to
Luise
Dec 28, 2010 Luise rated it it was amazing
- extremely well researched & written
- fascinating insight into the lives of "upper crust" in 19th century England (amazing how many underworked members of the upper class spent decades languishing on sofas nursing vague "illnesses", occasionally moving to sofas in France or Italy)
- Lucie was such a vivacious, intelligent & unconventional woman, no wonder her history inspired a novel (Mistress of Nothing - in which she is portrayed in not as sympathetic a light as in the biography).
June Seghni
Apr 05, 2012 June Seghni rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, egypt
I thought this was a well written account of an interesting life,but for my taste I would have preferred the focus to be more on Lucie Duff Gordon's time in Egypt.However the failing is perhaps mine in not looking closely enough at the description of the work beforehand, rather than in the work itself..
Lucy
Apr 14, 2007 Lucy rated it really liked it
Even though this is obviously a biography, and often biographies end (naturally) in the death of the subject, nevertheless, it seemed such a shock when the consumption triumphed in the end, I couldn't stop myself from rather hysterically emoting. Lucie is just such a role model and inspiration.
Annie
Dec 04, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!! Lucie was such an amazing person and I can really relate with her passion for Egypt. Her favorite island Philae in the Nile was my favorite ruins to visit. Must read for anyone a fan of historical fiction or anyone who would like to catch a glimpse into a world long gone.
Renee
Jun 15, 2012 Renee rated it really liked it
Remarkable Lucie Duff Gordon . Well researched . Enjoyed enough to read her Letters from Egypt .
Liz
Aug 26, 2011 Liz rated it did not like it
I loved the subject matter but found the writing to be extremely tedious and boring.
Heidi
Mar 07, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: egypt
Wonderful!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Maria Ramsdale
Maria Ramsdale marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Aman Rai
Aman Rai marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
May 09, 2016
Alicia D
Alicia D marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Ted Dunham
Ted Dunham rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
lucie
lucie marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Lisa Kelsey
Lisa Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Kathleen Lunw
Kathleen Lunw rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Lucie Turns Pages
Lucie Turns Pages marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Robert Sharples
Robert Sharples marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Parna Mukherjee
Parna Mukherjee marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015