Start by marking “Lucie Duff Gordon: A Passage to Egypt” as Want to Read:
Lucie Duff Gordon: A Passage to Egypt

Lucie Duff Gordon: A Passage to Egypt

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Lucie Duff Gordon was a world apart from her Victorian counterparts. An intellectual, traveller, writer and progressive social commentator, she and her husband led a bohemian, eccentric and highly unconventional life in London, socialising with such luminaries as Tennyson, Dickens and Thackeray. In 1862, however, Lucie was diagnosed with tuberculosis and on the advice of h ...more
Published April 15th 2007 by Tauris Parke Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Lucie Duff Gordon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucie Duff Gordon

Diane
I read this excellent biography on the recommendation of my discerning colleague LMJ and she was right! It is a well-researched account of a remarkable life. Lucie Duff Gordon was an upper-middle class English woman of the mid-19th century most famous for her "Letters from Egypt", a compilation of her correspondence to family and friends from an Egypt that was then little different from how it had been for hundreds, if not thousands of years. The author examined additional existing correspondenc ...more
Mary
fairly obviously this is designed to remind you of Passage to India and Mrs Moore.From this aspect it's a chicken and egg scenario,did Forster know of Lucie Duff Gordon's story( he did live in Egypt for a while) or has Katherine Frank twisted things to fit Forster? I didn't really feel I got to know Lucie Duff Gordon as a person - learned a lot about what happened, but had no real feel for her character.
what struck me most was the precariousness of life at that time(mid 1800s). there seemed to
Luise
- extremely well researched & written
- fascinating insight into the lives of "upper crust" in 19th century England (amazing how many underworked members of the upper class spent decades languishing on sofas nursing vague "illnesses", occasionally moving to sofas in France or Italy)
- Lucie was such a vivacious, intelligent & unconventional woman, no wonder her history inspired a novel (Mistress of Nothing - in which she is portrayed in not as sympathetic a light as in the biography).
June Seghni
I thought this was a well written account of an interesting life,but for my taste I would have preferred the focus to be more on Lucie Duff Gordon's time in Egypt.However the failing is perhaps mine in not looking closely enough at the description of the work beforehand, rather than in the work itself..
Lucy
Even though this is obviously a biography, and often biographies end (naturally) in the death of the subject, nevertheless, it seemed such a shock when the consumption triumphed in the end, I couldn't stop myself from rather hysterically emoting. Lucie is just such a role model and inspiration.
Annie
I loved this book!!! Lucie was such an amazing person and I can really relate with her passion for Egypt. Her favorite island Philae in the Nile was my favorite ruins to visit. Must read for anyone a fan of historical fiction or anyone who would like to catch a glimpse into a world long gone.
Renee
Remarkable Lucie Duff Gordon . Well researched . Enjoyed enough to read her Letters from Egypt .
Liz
I loved the subject matter but found the writing to be extremely tedious and boring.
Heidi
Mar 07, 2011 Heidi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: egypt
Wonderful!
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Donna Farris
Donna Farris marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 14, 2014
Adonna
Adonna marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Reham
Reham marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Hanneke
Hanneke marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Indira: The Life of Indira Nehru Gandhi A Chainless Soul: A Life of Emily Brontë A Voyager Out: The Life of Mary Kingsley Crusoe: Daniel Defoe, Robert Knox And The Creation Of A Myth Wuthering Heights