Start by marking “Saltwater Witch (Seaborn Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Saltwater Witch (Seaborn Trilogy #1)

Saltwater Witch (Seaborn Trilogy #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  20 reviews
An army of the drowned dead, family betrayal, an exiled witch who doesn't know she has power — or that enemies are lurking all around her, spying on her. Follow Kassandra as she discovers who and what she is in this moving underwater fantasy.

Kassandra comes from the sea, but she has no memory of saltwater, seagulls, or an incoming tide. She's never seen an ocean, never he
Published March 6th 2011 by Lykeion Books (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Saltwater Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saltwater Witch

Weston Kincade
I had never heard of Chris Howard, but came across the book on Smashwords and was intrigued by the back flap summary. I just finished it and was happily pulled into the maelstrom of Kassandra's world. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. Although the initial copy needs a basic edit, it is quite good and there were few enough grammatical issues that it didn't disturb the read or flow. The characters, Ephoros, Jill, and Nicole surprised me as they found their place in a new world, sup ...more
This refreshingly original fantasy is a fresh fusion of contemporary and mythic imaginative vision.

‘Saltwater Witch’ is a simply sensational story of self-discovery, mythical creatures combined with magic and breathtaking world building. I was enthralled by how the author’s creation came to life on the page, so as to allow me to clearly visualize such a remarkable underwater heaven and fascinating characters. The extensive world building left me aghast, as I explored wide-eyed with deep intere
I won this book on goodreads from the author himself. There were even some goodies sent along with it as well! This book was a great fantasy that I loved very much. Kept me on the edge of my seat and gave me a totally new way of looking at the sea and the mythology of sea creatures. Beautifully written with very likable characters and such great descriptions that you actually feel like your there. Thank you so much for giving me this book I might have passed and missed out on. The end had me won ...more
The premise was so promising, and yet...

The execution is very lacking. The main character does not think or behave like a teenage girl- not even one who has undergone that kind of trauma.

The author has a habit of making the main character repeat complicated names in a wondering tone in order to tell the reader how they're meant to be pronounced. While it wouldn't be a huge deal if it happened once, it was frequent and jarring.

A lot of awkward details could have used extra attention, as well. Th
I won this book from Goodreads First Reads. I really enjoyed it but there were a lot of editing errors that caused me to have to re-read a few times to try to figure out what was meant. Had it not been for that I would have given this book a 4. Chris Howard took me on an adventure to a whole new underwater world unlike any I had explored before. The story line was unique, fun and full of surprises. I am excited to be able to share this book with my daughter and look forward to getting my hands o ...more
It was a challenge just getting through this dreadful book. I don't have any problem with suspending reality and jumping head first into an alternate one, but if it's not written well and the main character is someone that you want to smack... wah wah wah.
Wendy Dwight
Very good. I enjoyed it a lot. I would definitely recommend it to all my fellow fantasy readers out there.
I won this book in a giveaway and the book was... ok. It has a great plot and and could be an amazing book, but the style seems eerily similar to how I would have written a fan fiction in middle school. I say this because every page or every other page has a curse word on it, which I wouldn't normally mind but it is just so common that it's annoying. It's really just not my style. I love the thought of it, but how it was executed just made it hard for me to read.
This was a firstreads win.

I enjoyed the story but had problems with Kassandra's emotional inconsistencies. I felt sorry for her, but never really liked her. Actually, I liked her friends more than I cared for her.

I believe Saltwater Witch has a new and refreshing storyline and the descriptions were wonderful. That's what kept me reading. A better edit job would have helped the rating but I found myself having to reread several passages, or even worse, making my husband stop reading his book so
I won a signed copy of this from GoodReads that was signed by the author, Chris Howard. It came with lots of goodies.

I have finally started to read Saltwater Witch, and wow, it drew me in from the first page. Very imaginative and not at all what I expected. I instantly loved it and am hooked so far. I'm now on page 248 and wow. Love it. Action packed and interesting. A great goodread giveaway that I won. Such interesting characters and the book is interesting.

I'm currently entered in the Good
The art work was beautiful.
Story was interesting enough to continue on.
Ron Williams
Solid piece of writing. At times too many characters with odd names, but that was overcome.Enjoyed it.
Michelle Carrell
A really good read! Even contains a little comic section to illustrate a confusing scene in the book.
This book is FANTASTIC! I loved it! It swept me up and I couldn't put the book down! It has a wonderful mix of science and fantasy! The writing is so vivid, I could picture everything! I can't wait to read the next book in the series!!! This is definitely a must read book!
This world has all kind of mystical water people but each character had enough detail to make them feel real. I enjoyed the slowly revealed mythology of the world and the relationship Kassandra has with her two best friend. Both of them felt real and dependable.
This story hooked me right from the very beginning. As Kassandra discovers who she really is, the action never stops. I can't wait to read the next one in the series!

[received via GoodReads First Reads giveaway]
Miranda Seger
This was a book I found on Amazon. It was a pleasant surprise. It was a great story and keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Amy Fuller
Intriguing premise, terrible execution and characterization. Didn't finish.
Liked it...didn't love it.
David O'brien
David O'brien marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Maggie added it
Oct 03, 2015
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Jenny added it
Sep 22, 2015
Foggygirl marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Kaitlin Martin
Kaitlin Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • In Great Waters
  • Antara (Antara, #1)
  • Mermaid's Song
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Black Waters (The Songstress Trilogy #1)
  • The Mermaid Summer
  • Merminia
  • When, At Last, He Found Me (Memoir of a Mermaid, #1)
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • Seven Tears Into the Sea
  • Forbidden Sea
  • Fins
  • Ocean's Gift (Ocean's Gift, #1)
  • Merrow
  • Mermaid Park
  • Call of the Sea
  • Deeds of the Ariane: The First Three Novellas in One Volume
Chris Howard is just a creative guy with a pen and a paint brush, author of Seaborn (Juno Books, 2008), Salvage (Masque/Prime Books, 2013), Nanowhere (Lykeion, 2005), and a shelf-full of other books. His short stories have appeared in a bunch of zines, latest is "Lost Dogs and Fireplace Archeology" in Fantasy Magazine. His story "Hammers and Snails" was a Robert A. Heinlein Centennial Short Fictio ...more
More about Chris Howard...

Seaborn Trilogy (3 books)
  • Seaborn (Seaborn Trilogy #2)
  • Sea Throne (Seaborn Trilogy #3)
Saltwater Witch (Saltwater Witch Comic #1) Seaborn (Seaborn Trilogy #2) Sea Throne (Seaborn Trilogy #3) Saltwater Witch Graphic Novel: Chapter 2 The Complete Seaborn (Seaborn Trilogy, #1-3)