Start by marking “Constance: The Tragic and Scandalous Life of Mrs. Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
Constance: The Tragic and Scandalous Life of Mrs. Oscar Wilde

Constance: The Tragic and Scandalous Life of Mrs. Oscar Wilde

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  416 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
The fascinating story of the decadent and thrilling world of Oscar Wilde's wife Constance, and the world of scandal which would betray her. Franny Moyle now tells Constance's story with a fresh eye and remarkable new material. Drawing on numerous unpublished letters, she brings to life the story of a woman at the heart of fin-de-siecle London and the Aesthetic movement. In ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by John Murray Publishers (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Constance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constance

Susan
Jan 14, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I knew very little about Constance Wilde before reading this book, other than, of course, that she was Oscar Wilde's wife. However, I came to appreciate her as a strong woman, who did suffer but who always tried to do the right thing and fought hard to protect her sons.

Constance had a difficult upbringing. Her brother Otho, who she adored, was older than her and she was left with a widowed mother who both verbally and physically abused her. When her mother re-married, Consta
Anastasia Fitzgerald-Beaumont
I've not long finished Constance: The Tragic and Scandalous Life of Mrs. Oscar Wilde by Franny Moyle. The following review is offered in a slightly different spirit to those I've added here before. Moyle's book, which draws on over three hundred of Constance's previously unpublished letters, is an important work of scholarship, worthy of appreciation. But my review is also a personal apology, or a debt of honour, to a woman who was so much more than simply the wife of Oscar Wilde.

I've long been
Christy B
Constance: The Tragic and Scandalous Life of Mrs. Oscar Wilde is a good account of the life of an often overlooked figure.

I admit, I've been interested in the life and work of Oscar Wilde for years, but have never given a second thought to his wife Constance. Shame on me! I feel like I need to apologize to her. She was a woman ahead of her time: intelligent, progressive, for women's rights, etc. She was also a children's writer.

From reading this biography I learned that Constance was an incredib
The Book Queen
Dec 18, 2015 The Book Queen marked it as maybe-read
This looks absolutely fascinating. I've read almost all of Wilde's works and thoroughly enjoyed the lot, and I know he suffered horrible humiliation and treatment in the latter part of his life, but I somehow doubt he was a particularly pleasant person. Perhaps reading this will give me more insight into his character; for such a prolific writer he remains an elusive man.
Lisa
Dec 20, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Oscar Wilde and his beautiful young wife, Constance, were very much in love, and feted in both London and Paris. Constance, like Oscar, edited journals, wrote stories, and gave lectures. Her writing was highly regarded, and she gave Oscar a huge amount of help with his stories. Both Oscar and Constance were highly concerned with the Women's Movement, and Oscar edited the journal, Women's World.

They mixed with high society, and great artists like the actress, Sarah Bernhardt. They invited these p
Rachel
Mar 12, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is the first published biography of Constance Wilde, wife of Oscar Wilde. The many Wilde biographers haven't given her much attention, glossing over her life as entirely influenced by Wilde. For example, they often suggest she wore Aesthetic Dress to please Oscar, when in fact she was active in the Dress Reform movement before she met him, and that was no doubt a factor in their mutual attraction. Constance wore "artistic" gowns and divided skirts, an important statement for women of the er ...more
Simsim
Feb 20, 2015 Simsim rated it it was amazing
Brilliant research work, brilliant woman. She should not be known as only the wife of Oscar Wilde.
Carmen
May 06, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Barbara Schillinger
Constance was truly an admirable human being. I truly admire her loyalty to Oscar Wilde, her intellectual curiosity, her adventurous spirit for the time. I found the references to the Rational Dress Society fascinating and it is a subject that I would like to delve into further.

They were a fascinating couple and it is truly tragic and Bosie entered his life and destroyed it so completely. True Oscar had always been a homosexual but his other friends such as Robbie had respected his home life.

Wh
Kate
Having been a Wildephile since I was a teenager, I've seen his life through the eyes of detail-oriented biographers, of his friends, of his son, of his detestable nemesis Bosie. After all this time, this book gave me a close introduction to his wife Constance. And COnstance's life revealed things I had not yet seen.

What a lovely couple they were when first married! So romantic, supportive and arty.

What their shared life eventually became reminds me of the saying that no man is a hero to his val
Kristy
Feb 11, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been keeping my eye out for a biography of Oscar Wilde for a while and spotted this in my local library. I didn't even know that Oscar Wilde was married! I had this image of him as a frivolous, eccentric and clever openly gay man. So he was to some extent, very frivolous and eccentric anyway but I didn't realise the lengths he went to to avoid being labelled as homosexual while at the same time bizarrely flaunting his affairs with men...Weird.

But anyway the book is about Constance who was a
Kerry
Oct 12, 2013 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
While the idea of researching a less-written about historical figure is compelling, this book is an excellent reminder why biographers concentrate on particular personalities and leave the others to the sidelines. The woman "behind the man" makes an interesting premise . . . but only if the woman is interesting herself.

I found myself wondering whether it was the author's fault for not making Constance Wilde's life more intriguing or if the writer should be praised for doing what justice to her
Deborah
Sep 21, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it
It was a huge relief to discover that Constance wasn't a total doormat, that she knew a nice frock when she saw one and that she was no wallflower when it came to casting off her corset. Hurrah.

Personally I am of the opinion that Constance knew exactly what she was marrying into and that her reward was the ultra exposure to society that association with Oscar brought. Very few people in upper middle class England married for love in those days - they married for position and/or money. I accept
Laurie
Feb 05, 2013 Laurie rated it really liked it
There have been a lot of books written about Oscar Wilde, but this is the first about his wife, Constance Wilde, nee Lloyd. Usually portrayed as puritanical and unforgiving, this book, which utilized a lot of unpublished letters, shows a very different picture, one of a loving, intelligent, forgiving and forward thinking woman who was a talented but forgotten writer.

Constance’s life was difficult from the start; her father died when she was young and her mother was emotionally and physically ab
Samuel
Jul 09, 2015 Samuel rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, reviewed
The genius of Oscar Wilde might have been glorious, but a hundred years later it still has the power to blind. Brilliancy can let you get away with a lot; Wilde, the martyr on the altar of English hypocrisy, seems always to escape criticism. Harold Bloom remarked that Wilde "was right about everything." Christopher Hitchens, contrasting him with Gore Vidal, concluded that he, Wilde, was "never cruel." Stephen Fry's fondness for Saint Oscar is well known, and hardly unwarranted. But even the deep ...more
Portia Costa
Nov 04, 2011 Portia Costa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers interested in Victorian history and personalities
Not sure what to think about this one. It's difficult to judge the quality of the writing etc because appreciation of the book is so intimately wound up in one's impression of the subject of the book, Constance Wilde and by association, Oscar.

I found it a compelling read, but it just made me realise how alien the life of these middle/upper class Victorians is to me. I feel sorry for Constance, for a lot of the things that happened to her, and the disaster Oscar inflicted on her... but she's also
Vanessa Meachen
Nov 12, 2012 Vanessa Meachen rated it really liked it
I didn't know much about Constance before reading this, and I was delighted to discover her through this book; what a fascinating portrait of her life, her relationship and her work, particularly with movements like the Rational Dress Society. She comes across as complex, intelligent and compassionate, both far-sighted and a product of her times. The book offers a very sympathetic treatment of both Constance and Oscar, while still being clear about their individual faults - it's Bosie Douglas wh ...more
Claudia Lefteriu
Interesanta, am indragit-o pe dna Wilde. Un destin trist, cu prea mult devotament unei cauze pierdute: sotul ei.
Audrey
Apr 07, 2013 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Well written biography about the often tragic life of Constance Wilde. It is an excellent and well written biography which is so sad In the last few chapters - it brings you to tears. Oscar Wilde ruined Constance's life, she lost everything, but she loved him until the end. All her beliefs in Wilde had been ripped apart and she had been lied to and deceived yet she never gave up fighting for the sake if her sons. She died so young at 40 leaving her two sons bereft. Oscar Wilde died two years lat ...more
Glenys
Aug 27, 2011 Glenys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Glenys by: Radio 4
Having just read Alan Hollinghurst's novel The Stranger's Child, I could believe that the task of the biographer is impossible, but this is an excellent example of the art. Constance Wilde is a neglected figure, almost a cipher in the mythology around the tragic, self-destructive genius of her famous hushand. However, this interesting biography brings her to life as a complex, independent and spirited woman, and creates a vivid picture of cultural life in England at the end of the 19th century.
Lyn
Feb 15, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it
Totally fascinating account of the sad story of the wife of Oscar Wilde and their two sons. Extraordinary detail about late Victorian society, the Aesthetic movement, early feminism, the fight for "rational dress" and the gradually changing role of women in this period. Oscar Wilde's two years in prison were little compared to the tragic repercussions for his family, both before, during and after his imprisonment. Very interesting book.
Pauline
Apr 20, 2014 Pauline rated it really liked it
I have never read a book about Oscar wilde as another reviewer noted I just assumed he was an openly gay artistic type!! To find out he ad a wife and children and what they were put through because of his dalliances is terribly sad.
I now intend to read an Oscar Wilde book now to hear the other side of the story as I saw rupert Everett talking about how tragic Oscars life was! I am intrigued
Alcornell
A cautionary tale, a view of another time, told in clear if overly detailed prose and quotations from primary sources. I left the book with a real fondness for Constance, and a new and surprising sympathy for O and his sons. Those Bon mots we love from Oscar Wilde wouldn't be nearly so well known today if his wife hadn't seen to it. Nothing is so simple as it seems, is it?
Janet Ashley
Feb 11, 2016 Janet Ashley rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I really wanted to like this book. I am fascinated with Oscar Wilde and was intrigued by the idea of a book written from his wife's perspective. I like to read a good biography but apparently I have been spoiled by the likes of writers like Erik Larson, Stephen Ambrose and Laura Hillenbrand, who could make even the phone book interesting (to steal a line from American Idol). But Fanny Moyle somehow makes a potentially fascinating subject boring.....when I started rereading passages because I dri ...more
Brian Francis
Feb 28, 2015 Brian Francis rated it really liked it
I went through an intense Oscar Wilde phase a few years back and read a number of biographies about him. But I never read any biographies about the person who was most significant in his life – his wife, Constance.

Franny Moyle’s account of Mrs. Wilde gives us glimpse not only into who Constance was, but also what Wilde’s marital life was like, as well as the society they inhabited. It’s a fascinating read and I came away admiring Constance not only for her resolve, but also her tact. The situat
Yara
May 16, 2015 Yara rated it really liked it
I bought this book over two years ago, but only started reading it last week. The cover design of my edition, bright purple with a pink swirly font, combined with a title that sounds like it was ripped straight from the headlines of a gossip glossy really put me off initially (although come to think of it, the gossip columns played an important part in the story of the Wildes). Still, curiosity got the best of me in the end, and I’m glad it did. We all know what happened to Oscar Wilde, but the ...more
Annie Garvey
Apr 13, 2013 Annie Garvey rated it really liked it
Liza
Jan 05, 2013 Liza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
I had no idea what a douche bag Oscar Wilde used to be to Constance until i read this book. She was a remarkable human being with amazing talent for the arts and possessed extraordinary sense of fashion. After reading this biography, my outlook on Oscar Wilde has changed completely. He was a complete jerk and would take credit for ideas Constance would come up with, in which she happily accepted and became part of his shadow while he took the audience for a ride.

My perspective of Constance befo
Cherith
Jan 13, 2014 Cherith rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This book should really be titled Constance: The Tedious Details of Her Tragic Life and Also Two Chapters of The Scandal. Apparently most Oscar Wilde bios relegate her to a side character or a nag but I haven't read any other bios so the author's rather defensive tone got old, as did the minuteness of the detail she presents. Maybe she meant this text to be a work which Wilde scholars read rather than laymen who didn't even know Oscar had a wife and was intrigued, but I think even scholars would ...more
Charlie
Jan 04, 2015 Charlie rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I am a huge fan of Oscar Wilde and this being the first biography of his wife, Constance, I really was looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it was tedious, very academic in a way. I made it about a third of the way through and just couldn't go on.

Part of the issue for me was that there were numerous times I had to re-read sentences...I swear words were omitted because some just made no sense.

Very let down.
Kymberli Ward
Jan 16, 2016 Kymberli Ward rated it liked it
Very academic writing style, but interesting. The author is rather unkind in her treatment of Oscar Wilde (as he is one of my favorite authors and figured prominently in a thesis, I'm biased); otherwise, the book is full of information about Constance, with whom I was generally unfamiliar. Worth the reading if one is interested in the "other side" of this controversial figure and his very talented wife.
  • Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood
  • Other Powers: The Age of Suffrage, Spiritualism, and the Scandalous Victoria Woodhull
  • Bosie: A Biography Of Lord Alfred Douglas
  • Elizabeth Gaskell: A Habit of Stories
  • A Chainless Soul: A Life of Emily Brontë
  • The Kings' Mistresses: The Liberated Lives of Marie Mancini, Princess Colonna, and Her Sister Hortense, Duchess Mazarin
  • The Real Trial of Oscar Wilde
  • Mary Shelley
  • Vamp: The Rise and Fall of Theda Bara
  • Women of the Golden Dawn: Rebels and Priestesses: Maud Gonne, Moina Bergson Mathers, Annie Horniman, Florence Farr
  • Lizzie Siddal
  • Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England
  • Bird Of Paradise: The Colourful Career of the First Mrs Robinson
  • Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild
  • Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony
  • Son of Oscar Wilde
  • The Secret History of Georgian London: How the Wages of Sin Shaped the Capital
  • Sarah Churchill Duchess of Marlborough: The Queen's Favourite
Former television producer, currently a freelance author.
More about Franny Moyle...

“As a self-confessed Pre-Raphaelite - a term that by the 1880s was interchangeable with ‘Aesthete’ - Constance was carrying a torch whose flame had ben lit in the 1850s by a group of women associated with the founding Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood painters. Women such as Elizabeth Siddal and Jane Morris, the wives respectively of the painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti and the poet, designer and socialist William Morris, had modelled for the Pre-Raphaelite artists, wearing loose, flowing gowns.
But it was not just their depiction on canvas that sparked a new fashion among an intellectual elite. Off canvas these women also establised new liberties for women that some twenty years later were still only just being taken up by a wider female population. They pioneered new kinds of dresses, with sleeves either sewn on at the shoulder, rather than below it, or puffed and loose. While the rest of the female Victorian populace had to go about with their arms pinned to their bodies in tight, unmoving sheaths, the Pre-Raphaelite women could move their arms freely, to paint or pose or simply be comfortable. The Pre-Raphaelite girls also did away with the huge, bell-shaped crinoline skirts, held out by hoops and cages strapped on to the female undercarriage. They dispensed with tight corsets that pinched waists into hourglasses, as well as the bonnets and intricate hairstyles that added layer upon layer to a lady’s daily toilette.
Their ‘Aesthetic’ dress, as it became known, was more than just a fashion; it was a statement. In seeking comfort for women it also spoke of a desire for liberation that went beyond physical ease. It was also a statement about female creative expression, which in itself was aligned to broader feminist issues. The original Pre-Raphaelite sisterhood lived unconventionally with artists, worked at their own artistic projects and became famous in the process. Those women who were Aesthetic dress in their wake tended to believe that women should have the right to a career and ultimately be enfranchised with the vote.
[…] And so Constance, with ‘her ugly dresses’, her schooling and her college friends, was already in some small degree a young woman going her own way. Moving away from the middle-class conventions of the past, where women were schooled by governesses at home, would dress in a particular manner and be chaperoned, Constance was already modern.”
0 likes