Start by marking “The Bible for Dummies” as Want to Read:
The Bible for Dummies

The Bible for Dummies

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Ninety percent of Americans own a copy of the Bible, and while it's the most widely read book, it's also the least understood. Regardless of your religion, understanding the Bible brings much of Western art, literature, and public discourse into greater focus--from Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper" painting to the Wachowski brothers' "The Matrix" movies. People have histor ...more
Published March 10th 2011 by For Dummies (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Bible for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bible for Dummies

Marc
Nov 16, 2008 Marc is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I feel a need to address the subjects for which i am ignorant. Subject number one, RELIGION. I'm trying to answer the WHO, WHAT and WHY's of life. I realize I cannot find all the answers in one book, but this is a good start.

I'm struggling with the whole concept of faith and how do I get myself to have any. Hoping this book will at least begin to uncover some of the basic questions I have in life. This is a continual read (several months, a chapter hear and there).
Catty
An interesting and fun read. It shows that even if you're not religious at all, the bible is good literature. And if you're religous, the additional information gives a lot to tell off irritating "I-don't-believe-in-anything-and-you-should-do-that-too"-people.
Lee Harmon
I’m reading another book now that highlights the sad state of America’s Bible illiteracy. Even as we continue to sell more Bibles and religious titles every year, the Bible is actually being read less and less. I doubt if anyone who regularly reads my blog falls into this category, but a number of my friends do, and I’d like to find an easy introduction to the stories in the Bible. What better choice than a Dummies book, right?

I’m a huge fan of the Dummies series! Since they introduced their tra
Travis
Apr 03, 2015 Travis marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish reading this book. I got stuck in the Chronicles and Kings chapters. Just too much stuff that isn't very interesting from a purely literary and mythological point of view, which was my slant for learning more about the Bible.

I know Genesis is an important book, but it felt like there was too much emphasis placed on it relative to the other books. Multiple chapters are spent on Genesis while other books get lumped together into single chapters. Granted that ties into the reason I
Vedran Kuljanin
Great book. Lots of things that I didn't understand were broken down extremely clearly. It was like speaking with a great professor. Many things you already knew and had it broken down in a different way. Sometimes I figured that i wanted to undertand some insignificant things just so I would be more knowledgeable on the bible as a whole so that I could master it...but it made those insignificant things seem pretty important. Will be using a lot more of their books
Nick Ebelhack
From the eight book list I had for summer reading this year, this book was the one I was most looking forward to reading. However, I guess that my expectations were not to be the same as the book itself. This was the first time that I had read a For Dummies book end-to-end, and I can positively say that I will not be doing that again. If you are looking for a great way to get information on certain areas of the bible, or if you are one of those 2012 END OF THE WORLD freaks, then this book is per ...more
Eleanor Trejo
The Bible for Dummies Mini Edition is definitely mini

I was expecting a brief description of each book of the Bible but this book barely touches on a few major "characters".
Not worth the ten minutes I spend reading.
Gineke
A great book. It's not an easy read, because/but it is jam-packed with information. The jokes tend to be on the corny side, but they're a welcome break from all the serious, but interesting facts that fill this book. Though obviously written from a Christian perspective, modern theories about authorship and interpretation are discussed without prejudice.

I would definitely recommend this book to people who are interested in learning more about the Bible but who feel daunted by the challenge of re
Pamela (slytherpuff)
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

Growing up in a non-religious household, I didn't have a need to read the Bible. Unfortunately, that also meant that I didn't understand the influence it had on art and literature. In all honesty, the Bible scares me: it's a huge book, with a lot of information, written in old language.

I was thrilled when I found this Dummies book! The authors do a remarkable job providing clear, concise information without trying to convert you to one religion or anothe
Terri
As silly as it might sound, this book is one I want to have always by my side when I study: difficult parts are made easy for me and fun to just read :)
Sara Mccandless
Very entertaining as well as informative. I consider this one as a great quick guide of understanding.
Alex Timberman
I've been all over the bible throughout my life but haven't been able to put everything together in my mind from a linear or historical perspective. This book did just that. It was fun and engaging and written from a neutral viewpoint. Now, I got a clearer sense of who is who in the bible and the background between each chapter of the bible from a historical comparative perspective. Even though I did not read every word, I read the parts I found interesting. I totally recommend it if you want to ...more
Brian Martinez
Good Intro

I'm a bit disappointed that the full version is not available on the kindle. I just finished the mini version and it is full of information. I decided to read it because I wanted to get an understanding of the history of the bible. I think this was a good beginning. I look forward to reading the full book. This book has left me wanting to read more.
Dragonfly
This is by far the funnest study guide to use along with the Bible. I found out all kinds of tidbits about origins of words, names, and such because of this book. If you are easily offended, then it might not be for you, however I found it amusing, interesting and educational all in one. Loved the Far Side like comics too!
Kris
About 1/3 through. Someone at our bookclub mentioned this for helping with the religous books, as my husband is tired of answering my bible questions! It's interesting and compares/contrasts christianity, judiasm, and islam. I hope to fool people from my heathen background. Also excellent help for crossword puzzles.
Richard G
I did not like the hokey humor but all in all it was a good abbreviated version of the best selling book in the world. When they were saying something with different interpretations they made it clear that other interpretations were out there.
Evandro
The need to be "funny" annoys me in this book, but the reading is valuable, for I'm totally ignorant regarding the Bible. The explanations are satisfactory though not exhaustive. Perfect for someone who is reading the Bible for the first time.
Sheridan
Not as good as the other religion for dummies books that I've read. I'd rate them Islam, then this, then Judaism. Felt like this was just a collection of stories about some really odd people. Don't feel like I learned anything from it.
Lindsay Greene
1/2 way through the book. I find it less dry than the Bible. But I am still finding it hard to read without my mind wandering to other things. I am determined to finish the book since I never got through The Bible itself.
Soapykitty
I remember reading this and feeling frustrated because it didn't give any explanation as to why the books about Jesus's life in the new testament condradict each other so much.I got every question right in the bible quiz though.
Ryan
A great introduction to the Bible. It has helped me to understand the Bible as well as attending Sunday School for years has. It helps break it down into a comprehensible book.
Jay Dyer
This is the go to book for Christians looking for answers or information nuts looking for a wealth of knowledge.
Jan
My view of the Bible is very different form theirs. I had found it interesting in spots but rather dull otherwise.
Antuan Simmons
I like it. It's funny in some parts. It explains the Bible in places where I don't understand the actual Bible.
Kathy
I am enjoying learning about some of the lesser-known (at least to me) books of the Bible.
Siobhan O' Sullivan
a lot of information that was helpful in such a short book!
Ashleigh
Yes, I'm actually reading this...
Jimmie
Surprisingly relevant.
Janet
I really was a dummy when I started reading this, and perhaps I still am, but at least now I am a dummy who knows something about the Bible. The "Dummy" books are a bit annoying at times but I find them useful when you REALLY don't know much about a subject. There are no assumptions, which is what I like best about them. And they refer back to things you've already covered, which is great for a person with a bad memory. I liked that they broke down the Bible in chronological (time) order so it m ...more
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • Shakespeare for Dummies
  • Catholicism for Dummies
  • Canadian History for Dummies
  • Art History For Dummies
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version (CEV)
  • Islam for Dummies: A Reference for the Rest of Us!
  • How to Be Vegan: Tips, Tricks, and Strategies for Cruelty-Free Eating, Living, Dating, Travel, Decorating, and More
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living
  • Spanish for Dummies
  • U.S. History For Dummies
  • Gardening For Dummies
  • Meditation for Dummies
The Bible For Dummies The Time, Place, and Purpose of the Deuteronomistic History: The Evidence of "Until This Day" Die Bibel fr Dummies (Für Dummies) The Nine Commandments: Uncovering The Hidden Pattern Of Crime And Punishment In The Hebrew Bible