Start by marking “Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 1

Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Witch & Wizard: The Manga #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,980 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Imagine waking up to find that the world around you - life as you know it - has changed in an instant. That's what happens to Whit Allgood and his sister, Wisty. They thought that they were just a couple of normal teenagers, until their rude awakening at the hands of a dozen armed police! Charged with being a wizard and a witch, accused of having incredible powers they nev ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 259 pages
Published September 20th 2011 by Yen Press

The Infernal Devices by Cassandra ClareCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareMaximum Ride, Vol. 1 by James PattersonThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Young Kim
Novels to Graphic Novels/Manga Adaptations
26th out of 149 books — 153 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaNaruto, Vol. 01 by Masashi KishimotoBleach, Volume 01 by Tite KuboOne Piece, Volume 01 by Eiichiro Oda
Best Manga of All Time
171st out of 309 books — 621 voters

More lists with this book...

This. Was. AMAZING.

I love Svetlana Chmakova's artwork. And combined with this story, it was definitely a win.

Great characters. Great plot... I don't think I've ever liked a Distopia story so much.
Dec 05, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it
Considering the things I have heard about James Patterson books I have never been interested enough to read any novel by him. Not even the original novel from which this manga is adapted from but from the moment I found out on Svetlana Chmakova’s livejournal that she would be doing the artwork for the adaptation I was on board.

First of all to get my fangirling out of the way I will comment on the artwork. I loved it (points to cover). Svetlana does a great job of portraying different emotions th
Oct 20, 2011 Ryan rated it it was ok
This could have been great. The premise is excellent and the setting is interesting. The description on the back cover grabs your attention. The prologue opens with the main characters facing execution, and then flashes back to explain how they got there.

It's just the "how they got there" bit that is riddled with problems. There are massive issues with characterization, from the two-dimensional main characters that seem to take everything up to imprisonment and mortal peril in stride to the simi
Ayu Adisty
2,5 Out of 5, ga dibuletin ke atas karena... ga bisa T^T.

Hm. Ada sesuatu tentang james Patterson yang bikin gw nutup novelnya setelah 10 lembar pertama (gw nyoba baca Maximum Ride sebelumnya dan berakhir baca graphic novelnya aja). Dan hal ini kejadian lagi sama Witch and Wizard. Gw sempet (nebeng) baca di toko buku second dan langsung ilang minat bahkan sebelum 10 halaman. Dan saat itu gw mutusin kalo James Patterson emang bukan cangkir teh saya.

Tapi kemudian, temen gw balik dari perpus dan min
Skye (Skye's Scribblings)
I was reminded a lot of Maximum Ride (which I read Volumes 1-5 of the manga before getting bored): teens with powers become independent and fight against warped and controlling adults who want to torture and kill them and discover they are supposed to save/rule the world. While kids ruling the world isn't always a bad thing (most of the time, but not always), I didn't like it in Maximum Ride and didn't like it here either. The adults were too evil and the kids too righteous and organized - it ju ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
I've never read the James Patterson novel that this manga has been adapted from but when I found this at Goodwill I figured I'd check it out anyway.

Whit and Wisty's world changes dramatically over the course of one day. They wake up to be taken from their homes, tried, imprisoned, and possibly executed for having magical talent. They have absolutely no idea what's going on because as far as they know they're both a couple of normal teens. As it turns out they're not as they begin to discover tha
David Williams
May 10, 2014 David Williams rated it it was amazing
Wisteria and Whitford Allgood has always lived there normal lives up until the New Order began to take place. Things weren't how they used to be. Everything was just about the opposite as it was the day before. There seems to be no hope with the lost of their parents and their home. Trapped in a prison for being accused of using supernatural powers, the Allgood kids try to find a way out to search for their recently captured parents dead or alive.
Ultimately, I like the plot and storyline to this
My initial interest in this graphic novel series was due to the art being done by Svetlana Chmakova. I was saddened that her Night School series had to go on hold due to her involvement in other projects, other projects being this series, I assume.

I was not a fan of the straight up novel. But I do love the art of Svetlana Chmakova. If I get to look at 250+ pages of her art, I don't care what sort of dribble I will have to read through in order to get that opportunity. As I set forth to read thi
Nov 03, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing
So, I've just gotta say, I went out and bought the other two books because I didn't want to wait for the library! These books are great!

Samantha Farwell McDuff 10/22/15
Witch & Wizard

Wisty and Whit think they are normal, and when 10 armed Police of the New Order burst into their house accusing them of being wizards, life gets a little, well, un-normal. They were thrown into jail, unknowing where their parents are, or where. After some time in jail and a few interrogations, Wisty ends up findi
Soobie's heartbroken
WOW, Svetlana Čmakova got another 5-star review from my. Jeez, I adore her art...

I've never read anything by James Patterson, I think. No, scratch that: I've read Confessions of a Murder Suspect years ago and I really like that. The reason I bought this, however was Svetlana Čmakova. I didn't know anything about the series or the characters. I just delved in. And it was good.

So, there was a change of government: from now on everything will be led by the ones. The ones who judges, the one who is
Joe Holman
Jan 02, 2015 Joe Holman rated it really liked it
It is a decent start to a manga series. A quick read that I read in under 2 hours.
Filia Martin
Jun 22, 2014 Filia Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
I have yet to read the actual novel for this, but if the book is like this, I'm going to love it. The story was good, the characters were good, and the art was good. About the only thing I disliked was the ending to this volume. I understand that it's supposed to be continuing what was introduced in the first few pages, but it just didn't seem to be a good part to leave off on. It just seemed weird to me to continue from the intro at the end of volume one rather than when the story was actually ...more
Reyna ♥
Nov 21, 2014 Reyna ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite-books
This book just flew by. The art was beautiful, beautiful, especially Wisty's hair. So pretty!

And the fire. Ooohhh.

The story lines were very interesting, and it had many action sequences, so it's a good choice for reluctant readers.
And magic. MAGICCCC...

However, I wished that they had developed some of the characters a bit more; (view spoiler)
Jul 15, 2012 Rozey rated it liked it
Whit, Wisty, and their parents have been arrested by the New Order for being witches and wizards. This is news to Whit and Wisty as they have grown up believing they were normal kids. With the help of Whit's murdered girlfriend, Whit and Wisty's one-time tormentor, now turend ferret, and a resistance force made up entirely of children, they must find a way to control their new-found powers, escape the horrible prison they've been sent to, and find out what happened to their parents...and taking ...more
Audrey Wilkerson
I read and reviewed Witch and Wizard in April of 2012. I was not a huge fan, mainly because it felt like the writer (writers?) couldn’t decide if they wanted to be clever or serious or juvenile or smart-assy. It was a combination that didn’t work for me. My daughter saw the graphic novel, and even though she did not finish the book series, since she loves manga, etc., she decided to give it a try.

At her recommendation, I read the graphic novel quite a few months later. I, too, enjoyed this versi
Whit and Wisty are violently taken from their house in the middle of the night and thrown into jail with many other children. Their family (the Allgoods) are being accused of being magical – Whit being a wizard and Wisty, a witch. The news is a shock to the brother and sister since their parents never told them about their power.

The two eventually break out of the prison and reluctantly join the resistance and fight against the New Order and The One Who Is The One. Whit and Wisty’s main goal is
Jun 04, 2015 Julia rated it liked it
I really like this book. The two main characters Whit and Wisty in the beginning are said to be a witch and a wizard. The government then takes them in to a hospital which is actually a prison. their parents are wanted and when they escape the prison with help Whit and Wisty want to go find them. But the people who helped them now need them. Read to fin out what happens!!! I personally love James Patterson's work.
Rebeca Blanco
Jan 19, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good coming of age story
I really enjoyed this and I've just found out that it's based on a series of books, Witch & Wizard, which makes me very excited.
In a world where (heh, heh, heh! I've just heard that in a deep, dramatic, voice over voice!! But I digress...) where the government have been taken over by the N.O. (New Order) magic has been outlawed and children are being whisked away to prisons to be corrected and improved.
Unfortunately for our two heros (Whit and Wisty) there is something their parents never t
Oct 19, 2014 Ms rated it liked it
I'm past my James Patterson stage- there was a time I read his books- when I was in university and wanted a fast read. I know why middle and high school students would enjoy this manga series but unfortunately it did not inspire me to go into book two. However, if book two is available at the library and I'm looking for a quick read, I may continue with the story.
Oct 19, 2016 Leticia rated it really liked it
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Well, this was interesting, sad but at the same time, you want to know where the story will go. Plus the art was good, not great but it has its moment like that. Love the cover. About time I catch with graphic novel or manga series I been wanting to start reading for some reason haven't. Or hadn't had the time.
Charley J.
Oct 06, 2016 Charley J. rated it it was amazing
This is a good book for you if you need a quick read. This book is an exciting adventurous book. This brother and sister are kidnapped and held captive because they have powers. They have to go through many hard challenges and have to help many people escape this nightmare. And they have no clue were their parents are but know they don't have long to find them. All while running from theN.O. Will they make it before time runs out?
Ahhh. Forgot how much I enjoyed Witch & Wizard's story. I remember only really enjoying the first book, but in manga form I think I'll be able to make it through the next two. Though I hope it ends there, I haven't read the 4th and 5th books in the series and don't plan to either.
Jul 20, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga
A rather interesting introduction to a world with magic that is overtaken by the religious zealot types.

I love the artist for this series (I own a couple of her series: Dramacon and Nightschool).

The learning curve is steep when you are running for your life.

Sep 10, 2015 Bella rated it it was amazing
Svetlana is one of my favorite manga artists, so I was really happy when I found out she had written the manga for one of my favorite book series! Her artwork is amazing. I was kinda sad when I saw they hadn't used her for the Maximum Ride books. Poop. =(
Aug 21, 2015 Jacob rated it liked it
Public library copy.

I liked this book more than I thought I would, I don't know the prose material, but this book totally captured the spirit of a Manga story and there were some neat, unexpected twists and turns.
Mingo Johnson
Aug 19, 2014 Mingo Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
It reminded me that your life is your life and that we must remain open to more than what is handed to us. We must continue to push the "norms" of conformity and allow ourselves the freedom to be ourselves.
Nathaniel Irvin
Aug 13, 2015 Nathaniel Irvin rated it liked it
I picked this up in a bookstore once. It was short and interesting enough that I read it all the way through. It's no great thing, but it's a dang sight better than all of Patterson's other works.
Trinity Bierwerth
Jun 03, 2016 Trinity Bierwerth rated it it was amazing
this is an awesome book because it has a lot of action and fight scenes. And they have to go to jail but can't use their powers. so they have to get out of jail and save their family.
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 3
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 5 (Library Wars: Love & War, #5)
  • Ai Ore! Love Me! Vol. 1
  • Angelic Layer: Omnibus Edition, Vol. 1
  • Blue Bloods: The Graphic Novel
  • The Clique: The Manga
  • Angel Diary, Vol. 01
  • Amazing Agent Jennifer, vol. 1
  • Inuyasha, Volume 02 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • The Dark-Hunters, Vol. 3 (Dark-Hunter Manga, #3)
  • Cirque Du Freak, Vol. 1 (Cirque Du Freak: The Manga, #1)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Witch & Wizard: The Manga (3 books)
  • Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 2
  • Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 3

“What do you think of all this? Am I a friend or foe - or a little of each? Are the important things black and white, or maybe a little gray?” 1 likes