Start by marking “Identifying Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants” as Want to Read:
Identifying  Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants

Identifying Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants

Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places shows readers how to find and prepare more than five hundred different plants for nutrition and better health, including such common plants as mullein (a tea made from the leaves and flowers suppresses a cough), stinging nettle (steam the leaves and you have a tasty dish rich in iron), ...more
Published September 7th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published May 20th 1994)

Be the first to ask a question about Identifying Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants

Karen
Jul 19, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing how many poisonous plants are the source for the "Big Pharma" industry's poisonous "cures" for cancer. Maybe not so amazing....
Libby
Aug 22, 2007 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in eating organic or natural foods
This is one of only a couple books on foraging I have read, but it's my favorite for what that's worth. For each plant he gives detailed description of its appearance in shoot, mature and skeleton form and also provides traditional uses as well as nutritional value. There are quite a few cooking suggestions throughout, and some concentrated in the back. I have made some wonderful salads from my yard, and I look forward to seeing what I can find in my forest this fall!
Maryam
Jan 14, 2014 Maryam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see this could be a very useful book with good illustrations for identification, however is very North-American-centric and as such less useful to me. The large size also prohibits it from being taken on walks for identifying plants.
Ben Gallman
Feb 10, 2008 Ben Gallman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good information in this book. There are books that are more completest but very few have the fine tuned detail this one does. It's very readable and Mr. Brill is real Character.
Ethicurean Reads
Ethicurean review of this title and several others on preserving: "I can, you can, we all can!: Essential books for preserving seasonal bounty"
Molly
Really thorough, good book that seemed pretty comprehensive on the subject. Wish I had more time with it!
ML
Jul 22, 2013 ML marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is well illustrated and full of information. It is more of a "pick up sometimes and learn something" book for me.
Yolanda
Jun 18, 2009 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cursory look through the book leads me to believe this book will be very interesting and helpful.
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2012
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Chad J Law
Chad J Law rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Tammy Bishop
Tammy Bishop rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Monika Riney
Monika Riney rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
Kestrel1027
Kestrel1027 rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2008
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2017
Rachell
Rachell rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Rick Breyer
Rick Breyer rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2017
Jenifer O'neill
Jenifer O'neill rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2013
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2011
Sebastian
Sebastian rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2017
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2012
Ann Catherine
Ann Catherine rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
Eileen
Eileen rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2009
candy
candy rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Suzanna Woeste
Suzanna Woeste rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
george
george rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Zeppo Young
Zeppo Young rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2009
Jolene
Jolene rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2007
Nicole Francesca
Nicole Francesca rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Chrissy Smith
Chrissy Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Tom Brown's Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency Use--Includes How to Make Ferrocement Water Tanks
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • Edible Wild Plants: Wild Foods from Dirt to Plate
  • The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing; Log Cabin Building; Mountain Crafts and Foods; Planting by the Signs; Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing
  • Native American Ethnobotany
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Backyard Foraging: 65 Familiar Plants You Didn't Know You Could Eat
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Foraged Flavor: Finding Fabulous Ingredients in Your Backyard or Farmer's Market, with 88 Recipes
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
  • Making Plant Medicine