Start by marking “Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves (Shane Schofield, #5)” as Want to Read:
Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves (Shane Schofield, #5)

Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves (Shane Schofield #5)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  5,986 ratings  ·  407 reviews
At an abandoned Soviet base in the Arctic, the battle to save the world has begun...

THE SECRET BASE

It is a top-secret base known only as Dragon Island. A long-forgotten relic of the Cold War, it houses a weapon of terrible destructive force, a weapon that has just been re-activated...

A RENEGADE ARMY

When Dragon Island is seized by a brutal terrorist force calling itself the
Published January 3rd 2012 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2011)

Jurassic Park by Michael CrichtonThe Andromeda Strain by Michael CrichtonThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancySphere by Michael CrichtonPrey by Michael Crichton
Best Technothrillers Ever
75th out of 476 books — 640 voters
Ice Station by Matthew ReillyHell Island by Matthew ReillyScarecrow and the Army of Thieves by Matthew ReillyScarecrow by Matthew ReillyArea 7 by Matthew Reilly
Mi Favoritas
3rd out of 16 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Nader Elhefnawy
Scarecrow Returns is Reilly's first Shane Scofield novel since Scarecrow (2003), almost eight years earlier, and naturally I was looking forward to it. When I heard about this novel's premise, though, I had some doubts. It felt like a return to his older books (like Ice Station), which I'd enjoyed, but which he seemed to have moved past to more complex stories (like Scarecrow and the Jack West books). Additionally, two decades after the Cold War's end the idea of a Soviet superweapon would seem ...more
Josh
Q. What do you get when you cross a GI-Joe with an Energiser Bunny, a Michael Bay movie, and explosions straight out of Team America?

A. Shane Schofield – codename: Scarecrow

Matthew Reilly’s sequel to ‘Scarecrow’ is every bit as exciting and tense as its predecessor with our dependable hero once again at the coalface of worlds end with little more than a maghook and small band of civilians and marines to counter an army – The Army of Thieves. The mission pits Scarecrow against a formidable foe a
apple
Never judge a book by its Hollywood-grade blockbuster-like cover -- this is an exceptionally enjoyable piece of literature. Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves should win the Pulitzer Prize for best special effects or something. The author stated in book acknowledgement that he writes to entertain -- Mr. Reilly, sir, you did more than entertain. You made Action an art form. I challenge any of those award-winning postmodern Latin American writers whose names I cannot spell to write a faceoff scene ...more
Tyson Adams
There is a small quote at the start of this book that sums up the great new installment in the Scarecrow series:
"The President looked at a wall clock. I was now 5 pm, or 6 am at Dragon. 'Are you telling me that in five hours an unknown force is going to set off some kind of superweapon that will ignite the atmosphere or the northern hemisphere?'
'That's correct sir,' Gordon said. 'We have five hours to save the world.'"

I was looking for a fast paced adventure/thriller novel a few years ago, I was
Passing Stranger
Awful rubbish, even by techno-thriller standards.

Good grief this is terrible. I have not purchased this book, nor do I plan to ever buy anything written by Reilly, this book really is that bad.
First how I came to read it (or rather the first thirteen pages and skimmed the rest); I was waiting for my niece in a bookstore and decided to sample the book. That's several minutes I'd like Mr. Reilly and his publishers to return.

OK, it's a techno-thriller so characterisation, plot plausibility, dialogu
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
I was sent this book to review by a local newspaper. I didn't like it. A GI Joe episode on steroids with similarly two-dimensional characters. The review I wound up writing was however not the rant you might imagine but an attempt to write a responisble, honest review that diplomatically stated my opinion while giving enough information for a reader to determine if they might like the book. Nothing like my reviews on goodreads, in other words.
Jeffrey
This thriller is a thrill ride of military action and escalating tension. While the ending may be pre-ordained the roller coaster is one fast fun book to read. Unbelievable plot, but Reilly pulls it off. Read it in a New York minute.
Matthew West
The worst piece of fiction Reilly has ever written. And that's coming from someone who has been a big fan since first reading Contest in high school. His prose is barely readable and is not of a publishable standard, in all honesty. If this was a manuscript from an unknown writer it would have been binned.
He has lost his grasp on the English language and doesn't excite or interest the audience at all. It's painful to read at some points and there are whole pages of cringeworthy prose that no pu
Jack Silkstone
High Speed Low Drag! It's really the only way to describe Reilly's latest Scarecrow novel.

Reilly is the master of action, not realistic action, but crazy off the planet, balls to the wall, slightly obscene, blood curdling, adrenaline pumping ACTION! You come away from one of his novels with a high heart rate and that woozy post roller coaster feeling. This is what Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves promises and by f#$k it's what it delivers.

Beware.... fans of Brad Thor, Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn o
Vijai
"...he stood up and laid down a shitload of fire"

There, that's my man Reilly dishing out an action scene the way it is supposed to be. Profanity, heart thumping last-second action sequences, claustrophobia inducing movement depiction, a robot going ape shit on your enemies, Ospreys, missiles, submarines...hold on...let me catch my breath a bit, OK?.....phew!...where were we? Oh yeah, describing a quintessential Matthew Reilly book on Scarecrow.

Look, don't pick a Matthew Reilly book looking for
Kim
Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves sees the return of Matthew Reilly's original all-action hero, Shane Schofield, in a full length novel for the first time in 8 years.

I've never like Scarecrow as much as Jack West but he still makes for a good action hero. Dramatic, violent past. Extremely talented in all manner of weapons and vehicles. Ability to think so fast he can coalesce hours of thinking into milliseconds. Totally unbelievable, completely badass.

This time Scarecrow is in self-exile after
Lindsay
Ok,

I am a great lover of Matthew Reilly’s books, I have read them all. I find them exciting, action packed, edge of your seat reads that always leave me breathless but with the urge to go and join the marines.

And Scarecrow and the Army of the Thieves didn’t disappoint………much.

It had all the things that make the Scarecrow novels brilliant, fast paced writing, huge action sequences, thrilling escapes and diabolical bad guys, but this one just seemed, I don’t know, a little forced. The writing just
Alice
Another fraking awesome adventure featuring Scarecrow and Mother. Well worth the wait- crazy action, over the top bad guys and some sucker punch emotional moments.

Only 4 stars for me as there were some technical issues with the writing that pulled me out of the action a bit towards the end, but not enough to detract that much!
Keri
Marine Captain Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield has been slowly mending in mind and spirit since that last devastating incident. He had even been teaching some of the new recruits. Now his superiors have sent him with a research team up in the Arctic. It seems that the French are still a little bit peeved at Scarecrow and have a bounty on his head. After the third assassin attempt, the government thought it might be prudent for him to lay low for awhile. However, a little group calling themselves the ...more
Josh
I hate giving bad reviews, within every book/film/song i strive to find something i not only like, but also respect and admire. This novel has nothing, well next to nothing. The torture scene half-way through was pretty intense...the only part of this action packed novel that is.
My main issue with this story is the undeniable fact that it is a complete rip-off of Metal Gear Solid. Let me reiterate for you.
In MGS an all star group of terroists (who are in fact a rogue US special forces unit/s
Barbara
Scarecrow does return in this high-octane novel, but it's not quite as good as his previous outings. Reilly's books are the SyFy Original Movies of literature; they're so bad they're good.

Deep in the Artic is a doomsday device, built during the Cold War. Because where else would you put it? A highly intelligent terrorist group known as the Army of Thieves has taken control of the abandoned base where the device lays and threatens to destroy the Earth if they are not given...*pinky finger to lip
Mihir
Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: Matthew Reilly’s story to publication is one as wondrous as one of his books. Borrowing money from his parents to publish his debut book and then doing his own publicity and selling the book to local bookstores was quite a task. His book then caught the attention of a publishing persona and based on the potential seen in the book, lead to him being offered a two book contract. The first of those two books was Ice Station & since then Matthe
James
I laughed when I read the prologue. That's right, I laughed. Laughed and then sat there with a shit eating grin ready to get my mind blown. Reilly was back, Scarecrow was back, entertainment is back. Reilly's books are all the best action films of the last millenium liqufied, mixed with Gold and hallucinogenics and made into ink from which this brilliant, glorious material is born. This isn't a deft book, this is explosions at dawn followed by adrenaline shots for breakfast and action throughout ...more
Paul
In this novel, Shane Schofield and squad are tasked with taking down a mad man who is hell bent on creating global chaos. In a smart move, the bulk of The Army of Thieves’ tasks place over the course of a single day. It’s a supremely effective plot device when it comes to a thriller. The characters, and the reader along with them, don’t even get time to blink. The pacing is truly relentless.

My favourite Reilly character continues to be Gena ‘Mother’ Newman and she makes a welcome return here. Mo
Marianne Søiland
Reilly strikes again! No one writes hard core action thrillers like this author! I am thoroughly amazed and gets totally blown away! This novel contains nonstop: explosions, bullets flying, rocket launchers boom'ing, totally unbelievable stunts, a litte bit conspiracy, a touch of romance, some lame conversations and our hero Scarecrow who handles it all. People with heart problems should be warned about this book, and action junkies can use this novel as their daily fix. There are no slow parts ...more
Qazyman
Scarecrow Returns by Matthew Reilly / -1

This book is garbage.

The universal sign for no is a circle with a slanted line trough it. If you look on the dust cover of the “Scarecrow Returns”, you will see this sign over an A on the military aircraft. This stands for “No America”.

This is a manipulative book about the US trying to destroy the rest of the world because we have lost our global mojo.

This is also an attempt to exploit anti American sentiment by Matthew Reilly and the book publishers.

It’s
D.L. Thomas
Polar conditions, large carnivorous mammals, and Scarecrow with his Maghook - it's a great recipe that I can't get enough of. This is a typical Matthew Reilly read: tons of pulse pounding action interspersed with even more ultra-intense action. There should probably be a warning against reading this book if you have a heart condition. Just don't get too attached to anybody because they are probably going to die.
Mojca
Yet again, Shane M. Schofield and Matthew Reilly did what they do best. Mayhem on speed. Because as is obligatory in the Scarecrow series, the book sucks the reader in on the first page (where nothing really happens—only the description of the Army of Thieves exploits) and doesn't spit the reader back out until the last page (because the 'action' doesn't stop when the last bad guy is dead(view spoiler)).

I loved it from beginning to end...The action, the
Donna
The fights, shoot-outs and daring escapes are all totally bonkers!! But that's why we love Matthew Reilly isn't it?
I was soooo looking forward to this book, I ordered it about 3 months before it was released. I love the character of Scarecrow and those of his team.
This book has all the usual battles, a mysterious baddie, crazy gunfights and situations you just KNOW Scarecrow can't get out of, and wouldn't if this was real life.
If you haven't read any Matthew Reilly before, they are adventure t
Chris Bauer
Okay, to be fair I gave it 3.5, not 4 stars.

Reilly is one of my favorite authors purely in terms of kick-ass action scenes, remarkably descriptive combat sequences and simply implausible cliffhangers and escapes.

His characters are not "deep" in any sense of the word, his plots are more like a video game than a book and his penchant for exclamation points drives me nuts on some occasions. But...

His stories just kill. The action, the pace, the perils and everything else add up to be "brain crack"
Paul
Fast-paced as ever, though a little bit shorter and story-/area-wise smaller then previous books. For me it felt like Reilly went back to his first couple of books in scale (Contest, Ice station, Temple and Area 7). Which is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, because those are the ones that made me love his writing in the first place.. Some deeper emotional backgrounds on the Scarecrow and Mother as well, which IS a new thing I guess. And of course a lot of "now way that is even remotely ...more
Kate
May 20, 2014 Kate added it
Best Scarecrow book so far, just wish the next one was coming sooner.
Trish
Matthew Reilly did it again! I really couldn't imagine how he could possibly write a book more devastating (although it had some funny scenes), entertaining, thrilling and fast-going than "Scarecrow" but "Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves" indeed was even MORE of EVERYTHING! :-D
From the first to the last page I was caught and fascinated and just couldn't stop thinking "What now?!".
Great book and hopefully not the last we read from Scarecrow (but next time with the character Book Ii please)!
Patrick
Matt does it again.. Read this front to back in about 8 hours and what a ride!! Scarecrow has already provided plenty of thrills and spills in the previous novels and Army of Thieves is no surprise.. there are some HUGE twists in this and Matt always leaves the mind wandering at the end... work of warning, there are some VERY intense scenes that might not be for those with a soft stomach!!. If you love action and thrillers then I highly recommend Matts latest masterpiece..
David Biondi
This was my first crack at one of these types of books. I have to say that I was really impressed. This book is something straight out of the call of duty video games. It's an action packed roller coaster that was really easy to read. I flew through it. The main character is mix of Rambo and James Bond. So if you like action packed shoot em ups with people planning to destroy the world this book is for you!
I know this has been out in Australia and such... 13 65 Aug 10, 2013 06:09PM
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The Chimera Vector (The Fifth Column, #1)
  • Legend (Event Group Adventure, #2)
  • The Skeleton Key (Sigma Force, #6.5)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.

More about Matthew Reilly...
Ice Station (Shane Schofield, #1) The Six Sacred Stones (Jack West Jr, #2) Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1) Temple Scarecrow (Shane Schofield, #3)

“His actions had saved three US cities from annihilation but only a few very high-ranking people knew it. Fairfax was just pleased he could still wear jeans and sneakers to work.” 7 likes
“Mother yelled, 'Christ, this is the craziest snatch'n'grab I've ever seen!'
'It's desperation over style, Mother.' He hurried over to the tail end of the suspended tanker truck, to the two cables that rose up from it to the rim of the massive moat.
'But did you have to destroy everything?' she shouted.
'I haven't destroyed everything yet. Hurry up, this isn't over! This way!”
7 likes