Start by marking “Love in a Dish . . . and Other Culinary Delights by M.F.K. Fisher” as Want to Read:
Love in a Dish . . . and Other Culinary Delights by M.F.K. Fisher

Love in a Dish . . . and Other Culinary Delights by M.F.K. Fisher (Penguin Great Food #19)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  24 reviews

Whether the subject of her fancy is the lowly, unassuming potato or the love life of that aphrodisiac mollusk the oyster, Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher writes with a simplicity that belies the complexities of the life she often muses on. She is hailed as one of America’s preeminent writers about gastronomy. But to limit her to that genre would be a disservice. She was passio

Published July 1st 2011 by Counterpoint (first published January 1st 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Love in a Dish . . . and Other Culinary Delights by M.F.K. Fisher

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott FitzgeraldWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëGreat Expectations by Charles DickensThe Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Coralie Bickford-Smith Designs
65th out of 77 books — 29 voters
Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle HamiltonMastering the Art of French Eating by Ann MahTender at the Bone by Ruth ReichlMighty Ugly by Kim Piper WerkerThe Temporary Bride by Jennifer Klinec
Food Memoirs
14th out of 32 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Black Elephants
I didn't know MFK Fisher existed let alone understood that there was a start to the modern genre of gastronomy till this year. So when I stumbled across this small anthology of some of her work, I thought why not?

Things I loved:
--Time capsule! MFK Fisher writes of the recipes, cooking habits and society of the early 1900s. I didn't really catsup meant more than tomato sauce in a jar at one point!
--Every now and then, MFK Fisher just hits on a word arrangement or sentence that is so ... right and
Oh what an unfamiliar food setting I was thrust into upon reading this book! Different countries, different cultures, different times. I thought food was a universal language, and in some ways, it can be, but here I learned how foreign it can be as well. Mostly I was shocked by the difference in time-- Fisher wrote in the first half of the twentieth century, with economies and types of foods varying widely from where we find ourselves today. She is a fantastic writer, and deftly weaves food thro ...more
The book itself is not spectacularly good, although I 100% underwrite the author's title piece: "Love in a dish".
The quote from Brillat-Savarin "The way in which mealtimes are passed is most important to what hapiness we find in life" may seem preposterous but is by no degree so. Compare the hapiness you felt when dinners were merely a chain of take-aways and pre-fab TV-dinners to that when sharing even the simplest meal with those who we love. And how much hapiness cannot be found in adequatel
Nancy Dardarian
I always love MFK but this was a bit short for me.
Niya B
It's difficult not to enjoy M.F.K. Fisher's work - the balance of her prose, her insights, her wonderful descriptive tendencies - whether she's describing the slow process of fruit going bad, or the taste of wine during prohibition - and this collection is rather delicious.
The collection is thoughtfully put together, and composed of pieces that would be difficult to find online or in other publications. It's well worth the read and the slim volume would make a perfect holiday gift paired with an
The three stars are not for Fisher but for this collection, which is too sporadic and rather unfocused. Fisher's voice and passion and charm carries it off, but no thanks to the curatorship of the essays. On the other hand, we should be grateful her work is in print and seeing such renewed interest.
I loved this collection of essays by M.F.K. Fisher. I wish I had known her -- she was bright, witty and she knew her wine.
Sara Pereira
an amazing book. she has a very fluid writting, which makes it very easy to read. english not being by first language, i am always afraid of coming across a book with difficult vocabulary, exotic words and awkward sentences - this book doesn't have any of that.

it narratives ressembles stories told by an aunt or family friend when they pop by our house for quick visit.

interesting topics, nice tricks and recipes and an amazing life story.

highly recommended.
I think this one didn't hit me quite as those of M.F.K. Fisher's own writings as they unfold in the original published volumes. Some loss of continuity of theme or thought due to the selection process or the arrangement, maybe? That is not to say that the individual essays are not vintage and fine Fisher musings on food and other related matters.
Aug 19, 2012 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes to be happy.
Recommended to Anna by: the travel bookshelf on 3rd.
I picked this up in the Travel Bookshelf on 3rd down the street from me (great place, go check it out) and I am SO HAPPY I DID. M.F.K. Fisher is a beautiful writer, she conjures images for me I haven't had elsewhere and made me think about my life...all while talking about the simple joy of a raw oyster. Also, she made me extremely hungry.
Bless M.F.K Fisher, bless her soul. All the stories in this just sang to me and they hit all the right notes. Her wit and her passion for food and eating is so apparent in her writings. I've read a number of food writing and I enjoyed most of them but nothing compares to Ms. Fisher. She is an inspiration, truly.
A sweet gathering of some of the writings of MFK Fisher. I had heard so much about her I was glad to find this collection. Very short though.... makes you hungry for more. And... proves the adage - the more things change, the more they stay the same.

A collection of essays about eggs, potatoes, oysters, wine, dining, cooking .... in short, a very good sampler of Fisher's writing. Her descriptions are positively luxurious. If you haven't read her before, this is a good introduction.
Lestari Hairul
The best stories are the first two, and the one about the kitchens she's had in France through the years. They made me hungry, not just for food but for the pleasure in cooking (and also a bit of travelling).
Her words recall to me the passionate intamcy of each oyster, lump of fresh butter, new bread, and blooming flower, golden honey and fine drams of port.
Nora Strang
Amazing to think of the history of this woman's writing/experiences. She set the standard for all food writers, let alone women. Succulent.
This just happened to be in the recipe/food section at the library and it seemed interesting so I picked it up. Easy, 100-page read.
This chick loves food almost as much as I do but certainly writes about it much more eloquently.
Laurie Neighbors
A sweet collection of MFKF essays that leave you wanting more MFKF essays.
Erin Tuzuner
A timeless lady full of wit, knowledge and practicality.
Even a little M.F.K goes a long way...
Lisa Forman
Delicious, pure and simple.
Aug 07, 2012 Laurie added it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
i <3 mfk fisher
M.cuthill marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Molly Doherty
Molly Doherty is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2015
Martha marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
  • A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories
  • Cheesemonger
  • A Book of Mediterranean Food
  • Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes
  • A Thatched Roof (Beverley Nichols's Allways Trilogy)
  • An Orchard Invisible: A Natural History of Seeds
  • Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Companion
  • The Supper of the Lamb: A Culinary Reflection
  • The River Cottage Fish Book
  • The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden
Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher was a prolific and well-respected writer, writing more than 20 books during her lifetime and also publishing two volumes of journals and correspondence shortly before her death in 1992. Her first book, Serve it Forth, was published in 1937. Her books deal primarily with food, considering it from many aspects: preparation, natural history, culture, and philosophy. Fisher ...more
More about M.F.K. Fisher...

Penguin Great Food (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Pleasures of the Table